roamingstop

A mobile version of S@Home

Mobile S@H  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a mobile version of Shop at Home?

• No; I prefer the full website experience (or dont have mobile)
    • Maybe; but I dont buy regularly enough to make this worthwhile
    • Yes; it would make my compulsive addition much easier
    • Most Definitey; is there a way to gift 50% of my salary directly to TLG?

Perhaps I have missed the links; but I would very much appreciate a mobile version of Lego Shop @ Home which allows you to access the themes in a much better way. Im fed up of all the screen jumps caused by the flash / pop up dialogs / content.

Would other people appreciate a mobile version of the shop? I understand that for most buyers this is probably not interesting, but these days it should not be too difficult to have a smaller mobile version available.... thoughts?

If there is enough response; could the ambassadors ask TLG?

Well I voted No, but not quite for the reason given. A few years back a mobile version might have made sense, but we're rapidly reaching the point at which a mobile version of any site is a bit pointless. Mobile devices are rapidly closing in on the point at which there is simply nothing to gain from it over just viewing the full version of a site.

Instead of a mobile version I think an App would be much better. Lots of other companies have Apps on App Store and android, I don't see why LEGO shouldn't.

I gave it a maybe, but not due to frequency of use or lack thereof. I'd start by just redesigning the site they have to play better on an iPad under Safari. Go with pure HTML 5, no plug-ins, no Flash, no Java, no IE work-a-rounds that degrade standards compliant browsers, etc.; just HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript with pages that adapt gracefully to smaller screen sizes, limited bandwidth and touch gestures in place of keyboard and mouse.

A "from-the-ground-up" HTML5 design can get you native device resolution matching, animation, media streaming and secure communication without any of the patches, plug-ins and overhead we used to need just a few years ago. CSS is finally powerful enough to allow you to scale and rearrange things properly such that controls are large enough to interact with without zooming, essential information can be clustered without 2D scrolling, and when more space is available (such as on a desktop) it can be filled with optional extras rather than just whitespace. If you want S@H to have the look and feel of a native app on your iOS or Android device, if designed properly, you can even save the site as a tap-able icon on your device to launch in a frameless browser session without getting mired in device-specific native object code.

The trend (at least with my customers) seems to be to design for two modes, 2.5-7" screens (for smart phones and small tablets) and 7"+ (for large tablets and desktops) A seven inch diagonal seems to be about the point where you need to redesign your workflow rather than simply adapt your layout for the change in screen real estate. I've only had one customer in the past two years actually ask for support under 2.5" (for Blackberry) and since the introduction of Chrome, most people (outside of Australia, Saudi Arabia and China) have stopped bending over backwards to accommodate IE. I don't know that a small screen (~320x480) version of S@H for mobile phones would be worth the effort of developing "tiny viewport workflows" compared to the richer experience a 10" tablet or Desktop site would offer. Since _I_ started with tablets, the only thing I use my smart phone for these days is voicemail and checking the time I don't even do email on it anymore.

I voted yes, but frankly just to make it easier to find out list prices to see if something is a deal when I'm out shopping.

I wouldn't buy anything from my phone, but it would be nice to compare prices. Although I think there is an app already that allows you to compare prices among every major retailer.

But since AT&T kicked us off of their service (we were some of the last unlimited data plans grandfathered in) I haven't really used a mobile phone other than for talking.

I voted no. Even though I am on my portable devices all of the time, I have yet to get on a mobile website for shopping that I have liked. Plus, with my devices making it so easy to enlarge and shrink pages at a whim, etc. I just prefer to have all the options available. I would consider using an app but only if it was well done.

I don't think I'd really find much use from a mobile S@H. But you know what I would like? An app that recreates the functionality of those Augmented Reality screens in Lego stores. You know, the ones that let you look at what select sets (primarily City and Star Wars) look like out of the box, simply by holding up the box in front of the camera. That would be a natural fit for smartphones, and would probably be well-received by retailers who carry Lego products, as well as consumers.