DarthSion

LEGO Batman The Movie DC Super Heroes United.

New lego batman movie, this one is to be differnt to the one being made with will feral.

Peronally I do not buy it, the empire stricks out was funny as hell I do not believe they could top that, mind you the back and forth between batman and superman in the current lego batman game was pretty damn funny.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/10/13/nycc-another-lego-batman-movie-in-the-works

Odd, sounds exactly like the story for the recent videogame. I'm sure they'll do a good job at making it original though.

IGN posted

trailer earlier. It really just looks like a polished version of the video game's cutscenes (or maybe with just a few small visual changes, I played it on a Wii :tongue: ).

Boy was I wrong. It's really just all the cutscenes from the videogame cut together to form a short film. How disappointing. I never thought that Lego would do something so lazy just to get even more money out of something. Yes, the cutscenes were good, but not so good that I'd want to buy them again on a DVD. :hmpf: The only hope I have for this is that they will flesh out the parts in between the cutscenes, but even if so, I don't have any interest in purchasing this movie. What annoys me most about this is that the DVD/blu-ray of this film will probably be packaged with an exclusive fig, so completists will have no choice but to buy it. As Batman himself says, not cool. :hmpf_bad:

I do think it's kinda lazy to stick the cutscenes to one another and put in little of extra footage. + I think they should have used the new designs for the characters. I'm talking about The Penguin and commissioner Gordon in particular.

The only thing that interests me in this is maybe the Exculsive figure. After playing the game I don't think there's much point to even watching this. When I first saw this I wondered if IGN accidently put the Videogame trailler up.

Hopefully the fig will be something like Hazmat Robin or Green Lanturn. Hopefully not another Batman Suit.

I do think it's kinda lazy to stick the cutscenes to one another and put in little of extra footage. + I think they should have used the new designs for the characters. I'm talking about The Penguin and commissioner Gordon in particular.

I just compared the trailer and the cutescenes and it actually looks like they're different. Arkham for instance has green windows instead of red. Also in the ace chemical level Batman and Robin are falling into the fire in the game, but in the trailer they're falling to the street outside. Also the quality of the animation in the trailer is a lot higher than the game cutescenes. So it looks like even if it uses much of the script from the game it's still new animation. So it looks like a movie based off the game with all new animation.

Yeah you're right but the character design choice bugs me, will watch it anyways. I guess I like to nag :laugh:

Noticed a few differences from the game. Not very much to get worked up about yet. I just hope it's more than cutscenes. Maybe they just showed cutscenes because it was all they had together right now? :P Probably not.

I think they should have used the new designs for the characters. I'm talking about The Penguin and commissioner Gordon in particular.

Gordon is TDKR style, so not really part of Lego's Batman universe. I guess you have a point about Penguin, but I prefer the old design. Besides, those character only have small cameos, so does it really matter? :sceptic:

Hopefully the fig will be something like Hazmat Robin or Green Lanturn. Hopefully not another Batman Suit.

If it does include Green Lantern or one of the other heroes, I'll definitely buy it, but if it's just one of the special Batman or Robin suits, I'll pass.

For the exclusive figure I'd prefer someone like commisioner Gordon or Vicki Vale, we honestly don't have enough civilians minifigures. Plus I don't need another version of Batman or Robin, so someone we don't have yet would be welcomed.

Noticed a few differences from the game. Not very much to get worked up about yet. I just hope it's more than cutscenes. Maybe they just showed cutscenes because it was all they had together right now? :P Probably not.

It's more than the cutescenes, there were a couple shots in there that didn't happen in the game. For instance Batman fighting Penguin and Two-face in the banquet hall (Whereas in the game the villians jumped into the area beneath the stage before Batman could get to them). This is a movie based on the game so the things we saw in the cutescenes will happen in the movie too (But they'll be animated in higher quality and detail as we saw in the trailer).

I'm actually fairly excited. Perhaps this is only the beginning of feature length Lego Batman movies (Since we know from the game that there's the set-up for a sequel with the whole Brainiac thing).

Finally saw it. It's pretty good and the animation is really good. The only problem I had with it is that it's just a bit to short, another ten minutes or so would have smoothed it out greatly.

And even if you have played the game it's still worth watching. There's a lot of new stuff in it and even the stuff reused from the game is quite different (As it's all been reanimated so some locations changed and some scenario's play out differently).

Not knowing a better place to post this, here is my comprehensive review of

LEGO: Batman The Movie

Movie review:

Uggg, them starting credits go on forever!

It’s an odd way to start out the thing, beginning with the “Death” of our heroes. But it doesn’t hold much suspense as anybody who has played the game will know what happens next.

The animation and quality are a lot better than the videogame version, and the uninterrupted pacing is a lot more enjoyable. While some people may not feel the same way, I feel that the non-stop jokes/humor becomes a bit redundant. They just didn't stop long enough to allow much drama to build up. It’s also a bit weird to see some of the longest levels reduced to scenes of only a few minutes.

The Robin/Batman/Superman relationship is more annoying this time around, and at times the game’s storyline is a bit better. The extra bits are quite enjoyable, and help tell the story in a more complete manner that viewing just the cut scenes. The world is obviously the same model as the video game, which is a bit too small and tight for a movie-verse. While it was expansive and great for an open-world hub, it just doesn't work here.

I love all the “in-jokes” like the “Robin will call himself Batman,” as they give serious comics fans something to laugh at in the midst of all the character mocking moments. (Robin's immaturity, Lex's stupidity, Ect...)

It’s nice, but goes by fairly quickly, and could use a few more minutes of runtime.

Other Stuff: (Packaging, bonus features, Ect...)

The Packaging.

Mine came a bit beat up, but whatever. The figure is nice and secure, and seems harder to get out than the ones in the visual dictionaries.

The disk case is easily assessed, but the larger cardboard box becomes a bit of a hindrance once the figure is removed. The plastic case is a nice transparent blue, but feels very tiny and is quite flexible.

I've never felt a case so cheap feeling, and it's especially shocking since Lego's bricks are such high-quality, that they've messed up such an easy thing.

The Figure.

It's sweet, a great idea for an exclusive, and is sure to be highly desirable. Sadly, there isn't a matching suit that I know of, so a smooth transition from suit to tights isn't quite doable yet.

The dark blue looks great, and the lens on the glasses add a bit of fogginess and realism. Sadly he has neither back printing nor a second face. He does have the cheap China feel to him like the CMFs and other promo figures, but I expected nothing better.

The Disks.

I'm too cheap to buy a Blu-Ray player, but I assume it's got the same content, only at a higher quality.

The Blu-Ray disk is incredibly see-through, the printing is a laser-etched black and white, and it's not even blue.

Even the Padawan Menace disk has color printing on it, so either Lego got even cheaper, or I got something I wasn't supposed to.

The DVD looks the same, the only exception being the DVD and Blu-ray logos are switched. So things weren't looking good, and only got worse.

I'm assuming that all Blu-Ray disks are thin, transparent, and flimsy. As both of mine are. Is this a common feature, or just something that Lego has done?

The Content.

At first, the main menu didn't show up. Not sure what the problem was, but after a bit I just hit enter and went into a sub-menu that did show up, backed out, and everything stated to work fine.

But man, that menus look pathetic. It's really close to the default settings on Sony Vegas, and most don't even have a cool background. I mean, seriously? I have made better looking DVD menus.

Special Features.

Going on, I was disappointed in the fact that everything is so horribly named. We've got everything from "Short Feature: LEGO Batman Jumps into Action: a LEGO Batman Stop-Motion Short" to "Fourth Place LEGO Plastic Justice." We go from over-the-top crazy repetition, to "I-Was-Sick-of-Typing-So-I'll-Just-Throw-This-In." Bad form Lego.

Building Batman:

This is a nice little behind-the-scenes feature with one of my favorite animators. It's informative, entertaining, and fun.

And man do I envy his Lego collection. He sure likes the words "Raw materials" though.

Funny that they don't really concentrate on the brick flicking that much, and instead spend most of their time on other stuff.

But it's great and really worth watching. He's got some great tips.

"Batman jumps into action":

While it's a nice quick video perfect for YouTube, it's on the simple and short side to be a full-blown DVD selling point.

Contest Entries:

Being in the brick flick/Brickfilming community, I was already familiar with the contest, and with several of these shorts. But here we go:

Black Friday: It's a good short, is a bit slower paced, and the twist is nice, but it's a bit too special effects heavy. The grunting was also a bit obnoxious and annoying.

Prison Brick-Out: Bionicle28 never fails to provide fantastic shorts. And this one is no exception. The lighting is a bit grainy, and doesn't look that great. But the animation is fantastic, and the jokes are nice.

Superman: The animation isn't that great, but the scale and effects are impressive. It does feel a bit over-processed, and the face animation looks off.

Plastic Justice: The audio levels aren't balanced well, and it continues at a break-neck pace throughout the entire thing. But it's got some very nice dramatic lighting. Something seems a bit off in the way it plays, like it wasn't compressed properly, but it's a decent, although flawed, short.

Wicked Surprise: The laughing and odd CGI through me for a loop, and the animation is too fast and not that natural. But it's really just a style that I don't like. The whiplash ending is unexpected and somewhat creative. But it certainly earned it's place in the top 5.

I didn't bother with the trailers or cartoon episodes, but as far as I can tell the episodes are full half-hour shows and may be worth seeing if you can stand 2-D animation.

Bottom Line:

I recommend getting the set, if for no other reason than the great minifigure. The movie won’t last more than a single watch, but it’s got some enjoyable moments and bonus features. Don’t be turned off by the cheap case and poor menus, as it’s not a huge feature film, and it’s fairly inexpensive.