Calabar

[Recurrent Questions] Find a piece/brick in LDD (Ask here for help)

Thanks guys. Yeah I was in extended mode. I tried looking for it by eye and clicking on each section. I didnt realize I could use the number from BL. That saves sooo much time. Learning curve haha.

I didnt realize I could use the number from BL.

Careful! Bricklink uses its own numbering scheme: Quite a bunch of bricklink IDs are identical to those used in LDD, but especially the ones containing any letters are always different. Moreover, even the descriptions differ quite often. Generally spoken, the part lists on http://brickset.com/search?query= are more compatible to LDD than those on Bricklink.

Example: What Bricklink calls 6029b is known as 87696 in LDD. Bricklink calls this part "Plume Feathered Headdress"; if you type that into LDD's search box, you won't find that part, since LDD calls this part "Feather Splendour" -- a term unknown to Bricklink's part search on the other hand.

Issues like that are discussed in this thread for a while now. So you are not alone.

Another example: Some bricks sharing the very same shape might have different design IDs, depending on the fact whether their colours are transparent or solid: The transparent "Cup without Wreath" has the official design ID 30002, but you won't find that ID in LDD. However, LDD contains the ID 6269: Although this is the solid "Cup without Wreath", in LDD the transparent ones are filed under this ID as well. The bricklink ID, however, is 2343. It lists the 6269 as an alternative ID, but not the 30002, and calls the part "Utensil Goblet". The ID 2343 is unknown to both LDD and Brickset. Simple, isn't it?

Admittedly LDD is a bit confusing with regards to IDs. Those issues have been filed as bugs and might be tackled in the future, but currently they are rather mind-boggling...

I cannot find part: www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2580c01 in LDD. Does it not exist?

Yes, that excists.

Just set it in extended mode and type in the surchbar lattice and it shows up.

It's in the box with the 1x1 with side stud.

For extended mode go to view-new themes-extended.

I know the ADU blaster was in LDD, but right now I am having a hard time finding it-

did it get removed, or am I just being blind?

If it's just me, could someone post a screenshot of where it shows up in the parts?

(Really wish I could zoom the parts preiview about 2x more than it currently does-

at my resolution, even max zoom has the parts about 10mm across, and I'm painfully nearsighted, even with glasses...)

This part lurks inside the group with the "axe" icon, and it's so packed with things that it would take a lot of scrolling to find it visually - I had trouble spotting it myself. A screenshot probably wouldn't be helpful, but there is a good way to isolate the part you want.

If you know the part's "design ID", you can type it into the search box at the top of the brick palette. I had a quick look on Brickset, and found what I believe to be the part you're looking for - 95199.

I sincerely hope this is the right place to post this, but I've been looking for a couple of part in LDD all day, and I just can't find them. But for different reasons. Both Bricklink and Rebrickable agree on the numbering and namingm but LDD does not.

One part is 4262, a Lego Technic "Plate 1 x 6 with Toothed Ends" which is essentially four studs and two peg holes on the sides. LDD does have a part with that number, but it's "Hoved 2 w/ball cup 09" and it looks like something out of Bioncile. I did try searching by name, but this shows up for 1x6 or 6x1 or "tooth" or "teeth." A manual search of everything revealed nothing, though I hope I just missed it.

The other part both sites call 4265a, which I'm pretty sure is not an accurate Lego designation. Nothing shows up when I search for it. However, both sites call it "Bush 1/2 Toothed Type I." I found the actual Bush 1/2, it's where you'd expect (under the pegs section) but the toothed version doesn't seem to exist.

Both of these parts are required for set 8816, the Lego Technic offroader. I actually own the physical set which has those parts, which led me to believe they were pretty common back when I was younger. The toothed bushing is necessary for a few axel connections as it locks onto other toothed elements to prevent pieces from rotating freely and the toothed plate is necessary as it's used as the central connector to the set's steering system. Neither part seems to exist.

I've run into incorrect numbers before, most recently when recreating my Millenium Falcon where the cocpit cone pieces were numbered and called something else (with "Falcon" appended) but LDD had identical generic pieces which I could use. In this case, I can't find anything even remotely close anywhere in the inventory. And yes, I'm using the LDD Extended theme. The parts just don't seem to exist, and that's a concern.

I need to make a model using the following Technic steering parts:

2190 Technic Steering Gear Holder

2791 Technic Steering Rack

2792 Technic Steering Rack Top

4261 Technic Steering Arm

4442 Technic Plate 1x8 with Toothed Ends

I have not been able to find them in LDD (in any mode, including Extended). Any suggestions?

Where did you get the ids?

Are they bricklink's id? Or LEGO ids? Or what?

I made a fast search for some of these elements and I didn't find any reference.

I need to make a model using the following Technic steering parts:

2190 Technic Steering Gear Holder

2791 Technic Steering Rack

2792 Technic Steering Rack Top

4261 Technic Steering Arm

4442 Technic Plate 1x8 with Toothed Ends

I have not been able to find them in LDD (in any mode, including Extended). Any suggestions?

Sounds like you want the parts to make this assembly:

driving_me_round_the_bend.jpg

Unfortunately, these and many other toothed parts (plates, half-bushes, etc.) aren't available.

Yes, that picture is exactly what I'm looking for! (The ID #s are from BrickLink.)

So it sounds like I'd better not expect to do those instructions, unless ML CAD ever becomes available for a Mac ... ? :sceptic:

Thanks for the replies!

MLCad is not available on Mac (though it's probably possible to use it on a virtual machine), but Bricksmith is appreciated by Mac users...

Edited by Philo

Hi! I think this is the right (or at least best) topic for my question. I opened LDD for the first time in some months last week and, to my surprise, it updated! I've been trying to work on some models today (in regular mode) and my usual method is to select bricks by colour. When I opened the palette, I found only these options:

screen_shot_2014-06-23_at_11.23.50_pm.png

All the conventional colours (light bley, for example) are not in this menu. Do you know where I can find them?

That wasn't the problem - the names of the colours were things like "medium grey" and such - definitely not the "stone grey" of the modern day, but I just opened LDD and the colour choices are back to normal! I wonder how that happened...

Thanks anyway!

This is a known issue with the latest LDD Brick Version (1392) in the "basic" LDD view mode, where many more "old / legacy" colours have been made visible, and this has made the pallete so tall, that the "basic" colours have disappeared off the top of the screen. SuperKalle has reported it to the LDD team to be fixed, but in the meantime, there are temporary solutions:

You may access the missing top portion of the colour palette by changing the building mode to "LDD Extended" through the menu: "View > New Themes > LDD Extended". From here, the standard colours will be accessible with the "Filter Bricks by Colour" button at the bottom of the brick palette, or by using the "Paint Tool" to recolour existing bricks in the model.

Hi,

I can't find anymore all the "Legacy" colors in the regular mode, it seems that they are hidden. I think that it's now the exact contrary of the previous problem ("Solid" colors are now visible but not those of "Legacy").

Some of these "Legacy" colors are available on the extended mode, but what can I do to find the other colors (or all the palette) ?

Edited by Courleciel

I have problems finding this tire:

x1825.jpg

x1825 - Tire 81.6 x 36 R Technic Straight Tread

Is it in there?

CopMike, you should use LDDManager to find the LEGO ID for this part.

Anyway it is used in two sets, 8146 and the recent 42000. Check is at least one of these sets has been catalogued in the LDD Official Sets topic, and then retrieve the lxf file: if the part is present in LDD, you will find it there, otherwise you will find a replacement.

Edited by Calabar

CopMike, you should use LDDManager to find the LEGO ID for this part.

Anyway it is used in two sets, 8146 and the recent 42000. Check is at least one of these sets has been catalogued in the LDD Official Sets topic, and then retrieve the lxf file: if the part is present in LDD, you will find it there, otherwise you will find a replacement.

Hi!

I know the partnumbers - Element ID: 6022941 and Design ID: 56907. The 42000 is done by marco9999 but it´s a .l3b file: How do you propose I find it there when I can´t find it in LDD in the first place :look: ?

I know the partnumbers - Element ID: 6022941 and Design ID: 56907. The 42000 is done by marco9999 but it´s a .l3b file

If it is a L3B file, it means that you searched for it in the wrong topic: the LDD Official Sets topic contains only lxf files.

Anyway, if you already know the design id, you simply have to insert it in the search box of the LDD palette: if you can't find anything, it means that the part is not in LDD.

Edited by Calabar

I cannot locate part 71075 - Brick, Round 1 x 1 90 Degree Elbow - No Stud. I am looking for confirmation that it is not available or if I am overlooking it. Thanks.

I cannot locate part 71075 - Brick, Round 1 x 1 90 Degree Elbow - No Stud. I am looking for confirmation that it is not available or if I am overlooking it. Thanks.

71076 and 71075 are switched: Your part 71075 is 71076 in LDD, while LDD's 71075 is known as 71076 in bricklink.

I don't know if LDD or bricklink is to blame, but one of them got it wrong.

I still could not locate it (part 71076 did not appear in LDD).

Please check your brick version if it is the most recent 1392 (Help -> About).

And make sure to switch to the Extended Mode (View -> New Themes -> LDD Extended). Some parts are not included in Standard Mode but only in Extended Mode (such as 71076 and 71075).