Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Heroica RPG - Quest #49: The Light That Reveals Everything

8083324750_0c25bbc351_t.jpg

"No, I never told him about the letter yesterday. I wanted him to have a relaxing and then I had planned to tell him this morning before he left so that he should be prepared.

None of the people here at the House of Ennoc's Children is close to anyone in the High Counsel. Well, I got some contact with High Priestess Mandrea, she was my mentor when I joined the Order, but it's been quite a while since we last met. Sir Helmer knows Lord Kapriel, the High Commander of the 1st Battalion of Light and Justice, since he served under him before coming here, but I don't think Lord Kapriel knows about Sir Helmer and certainly not that he is located here now."

"Alright, thank you Mandrea." Alexis steps aside to speak privately to her friends. "Well I personally think it's either Sira or Ansar. What are you two thinking?"

"Alright, thank you Mandrea." Alexis steps aside to speak privately to her friends. "Well I personally think it's either Sira or Ansar. What are you two thinking?"

Cronk think friends should read priestess' response. Mandric being brought up n charges would be huge embarrassment for priestess. If struggle that resulted in Mandric's death was accidental, priestess arguing with brother should not be ruled out.

Cronk would feel better if friends knew what charges against Mandric were. It is possible that whatever Mandric was accused of happened here. Mandric seemed like friendly man but Mandric did like to drink.

Haldor scratched his head.

"Well, I think that it'd be worth reading the Priestess' response before we decide anything, and see if we can ask her some questions."

"Well it seems these two would like to read the letter." Alexis thinks for a minute. "You know guys, maybe we should make a list of all of the suspects and then elminate each one until we have one left."

The party returns to the private quarters of the convent and to the bedroom of priestess Mandrea and reads the letter that they found on the table earlier.

8161596944_c55f422360.jpg

To the High Counsel of the Paladin Order

I have received your message and read it. Your trial against my brother is nothing but a part of the internal conflict of the higher ranks of the Order. I don't intend to get involved with your scheming and will stay neutral during the time. Sir Mandric has not been seen anywhere near the House of Ennoc's Children for several months and I don't expect him anytime soon.

Sincerely,

Priestess Mandrea Melifano of the House of Ennoc's Children

That is interesting. It is possible that Mandrea was in state of denial.

Priestess claims to not have told Mandric about trial. Why not? If it were Cronk's brother, Cronk would have warned brother immediately. It would sadden Cronk greatly if accidental death came from siblings arguing.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to ask around to see if anyone besides priestess had heard of impending trial. Priestess thought not but this is small place. Rumors and gossip travel swiftly in such places.

"It looks as though the Priestess didn't, or didn't want to, accept the terms of the letter; so maybe that's why she was reluctant to tell her brother, because she didn't want it to be true. Still, I think it would have been better for Mandric to have been aware, in the case that he could have prepared himself for what might have been coming for him. I also think that we shouldn't rule out the possibility of this all just being an accidental death, while we continue with our enquiries."

Haldor sighed.

"I doubt that anyone in the convent will have heard anything. As the Priestess says, only we and the High Council know of this letter's truth."

"Hm, that is interesting. Here, I've got a list of people here in the convent." Alexis shows them the list. "I seriously doubt that Mandrea would kill her own brother." Alexis crosses her name off the list. "From what Sir Helmer said, it seemed they were fairly friendly. It sounds like Ansar was with Najdalena last night." She crosses them all of the list. "I think our cook could possibly have done it, he was gone for a long time. He seemed pretty happy that he was gone. Emiria probably didn't do it, from that letter we found it sounds like she sends Jossin to do stuff. Emiria said Sira was awake... However, she said she saw Haldor over the body so I doubt it's her. And Jorke said he went to bed." Alexis crosses each off the list. "So that leaves Fat Mats or Jossin. Thoughts?"

Pristess Mandrea

Ansar

Jorke

Sir Helmer

Fat Mats

Najdalena

Sira

Jossin

Emiria

"Oh wait, I forgot about each of us." Alexis scribbles each name on the list. "I know I didn't do it. Cronk doesn't seem the type and I believe his story, however. Haldor, you lied to us originally, so you're still on the list."

Pristess Mandrea

Ansar

Jorke

Sir Helmer

Fat Mats

Najdalena

Sira

Jossin

Emiria

Alexis

Cronk

Haldor

Haldor grimaced.

"Fair enough, I suppose, although you were courteous to remove your own name quickly without asking either of us what we thought. You should probably put yourself back on there, just for that..."

The nord turned to go, visibily annoyed.

"Shall we go see Mats now, hmm?

"Fine." Alexis huffs, then puts her name back on. "Let's go see that chef."

Pristess Mandrea

Ansar

Jorke

Sir Helmer

Fat Mats

Najdalena

Sira

Jossin

Emiria

Alexis

Cronk

Haldor

The party returns to the kitchen where they find the chef, Fat Mats, preparing the dinner.

8179729456_d471f1e4eb_z.jpg

8083323518_6cc8766b90_t.jpg

"No no no! I can't take it anymore! You where late for dinner yesterday and lunch today, and now you are at least 2 hours too early for today's dinner! Will you never learn the time of the meals?!"

Cronk confer with friends.

Cronk hates to un-narrow suspect pool but Cronk thinks argument with Madric about trial could have caused an altercation between siblings or an accident.

Friends have only Helmer's word of friendliness with Mandric.

Alexis, earlier Alexis said that Alexis visited Jorke last night. What happened there? Can Alexis confirm Jorke's alibi?

If Najdelena was in bed, how could novice be with Ansar last night?

Something else Cronk just thought of. Mandric was pretty drunk last night. Could Mandric have tripped and killed self? Or could he have known about trial and tried to take own life?

Cronk will ask chef some questions:

Does chef think Ansar could have killed Mandric?

Were Helmer and Mandric friendly towards each other?

Did chef hear anything about misconduct concerning Mandric?

DId Mandric always act properly with novices?

How close were Mandrea and Mandric?

Cronk will ask chef some questions:

Does chef think Ansar could have killed Mandric?

Were Helmer and Mandric friendly towards each other?

Did chef hear anything about misconduct concerning Mandric?

DId Mandric always act properly with novices?

How close were Mandrea and Mandric?

"Oh, you are still investigating? Well, I'll do my best to answer your questions but I'm a little busy too.

Ansar is a good guy, he hasn't killed anyone. Not since he came here to the House of Ennoc's Children anyway. He has been able to retain his temperament here so far.

I've never seen anything but quarrel between sir Helmer and sir Mandric. Always at each other at the training grounds.

Misconduct? What are you talking about?

I never saw it myself, but I've heard he was more keen to spend time with Sira then she was.

Sir Mandric and the priestess had their problems now and then, but they always worked them out. Family came first."

Alexis, earlier Alexis said that Alexis visited Jorke last night. What happened there? Can Alexis confirm Jorke's alibi?

Something else Cronk just thought of. Mandric was pretty drunk last night. Could Mandric have tripped and killed self? Or could he have known about trial and tried to take own life?

"Oh, actually, I've just reviewed the events. I went to Jorke to see about that chafe, then Sir Helmer came in and said he had been dueling with Mandric. Helmer didn't seem all that happy with Mandric either. Sorry about that." Alexis smiles sheepishly. "I seem to have forgotten that bit when I first told you two."

"Oh, actually, I've just reviewed the events. I went to Jorke to see about that chafe, then Sir Helmer came in and said he had been dueling with Mandric. Helmer didn't seem all that happy with Mandric either. Sorry about that." Alexis smiles sheepishly. "I seem to have forgotten that bit when I first told you two."

Haldor looked sideways at Alexis, growing impatient.

"Oh really? That's a pretty big thing to forget, is it not? I'm not saying anything, Alexis, but you had better start thinking more clearly, or else we won't be able to get anywhere."

The nord leaves Cronk and Alexis to handle the chef.

"It's not like I lied about it mister. We're already not getting anywhere, how could it be worse?" She looks to the chef. "Do you think any of the novices would kill Mandric?"

"The novices? I don't think so, sir Mandric was a pretty big guy. Besides, the novices aren't the violent kind. Well, at least not Sira and Emiria."

"Hmm, alright. What have the other two done? And if you had to say who killed him, who do you think would? We're on the suspect list too so you know."

"Najdalena and Jossin is known to get in fights with each other from time to time.

A suspect for the murder? Well, to be honest I don't really care. But it is suspicious that you guys arrived here just before the murder, it really is. Not that I'm implying anything but I do know my colleges but not you."

"Yes we did witness that ourselves. Thanks Chef, we'll be on time for the next meal." Alexis leads the party to Sir Helmer.

A suspect for the murder? Well, to be honest I don't really care. But it is suspicious that you guys arrived here just before the murder, it really is. Not that I'm implying anything but I do know my colleges but not you."

"Well, I can see how it might look that way, but in fact we only came here because, of delivering the letter, so there could very likely be another connection with Mandric's death. But thank you for putting up with us for these few days, Mats."

Haldor stepped back for a moment to gather his thoughts, before away to again to speak to his comrades.

"But what we musn't do is resign ourselves to expect a massive conspiricy or strategically planned murder, there is still the very real possiblity of an accidental death, in which case it might just be best to let it go. No matter what happened last night, punishing someone, maybe even with death, for something that wasn't their fault isn't my kind of justice. I'm just saying that we ought to keep it in mind, that's all, in the case that we don't manage to find anything conclusive in the next few hours."

The nord then wheeled around to walk with Alexis the rest of the way to Sir Helmer, wherever he may be.

"I agree Haldor, nothing can be ruled out. I'd very much like to finish this up. I think I may be starting to get a bit paranoid." Alexis chuckles to herself.

Cronk calls back to Chef: Chef said that Priestess and Mandric had problems occasionally. What kind of problems?

Cronk thinks that maybe party should voice each friend's top supects and see if friends can reach consensus. Should at least narrow down who party should speak to next.

Cronk thinks likeliest suspects are Sira (possibly self defense and friends never did get good answer on why novice was out of bed) or Priestess Mandrea (argument getting out of hand possibly about perceived misconduct). What Cronk think is important is that Mandric was killed with own dagger. Helmer or Ansar would probably have used own weapons, especially if murder was premeditated.