CorneliusMurdock

TMNT 2013

I like LEGO, I just don't "feel" the combination of the two.

I think it's mainly the heads. I know that regular minifig heads may not have looked great either, but all these special molds go well beyond the things I consider to be cornerstones of the LEGO style.

While I respect your opinion, I am a bit surprised. The two things which really sold me on this line are the shell "backpack" and the accuracy of the turtle's head molds compared to that of the show. To each his own, I guess.

While I certainly appreciate that everyone has their own opinion, I am a bit surprised at all the hate being tossed toward these sets. I think that Lego does an excellent job staying true to the Nickelodeon source material while managing to give each set and figure a unique Lego feel. Maybe everyone was expecting this line to be based more on the 80s show? Anyway, I haven't been this excited about a new line since the announcement of TLOR and the Hobbit sets. The only downside to such an exciting line is that it makes this year very expensive....

I think that is actually part of the problem though. Lego is trying to duplicate the source material which is a highly stylized, CGI cartoon. The problem is they are trying to copy it with blocky lego bricks and minfigures. I just feel like it clashes too much and doesn't really make for appealing sets. Some of the minifigures look alright like Shredder and the Foot Soldier, but the rest just look odd. And as I said before, the vehicles look like a mish mash of parts that an 8 year old threw together (even if it is an exact replica of the vehicles in the show).

We can not judge a whole new theme based on one set and a selection of minifigs.....only once we have seen all the products for this new theme can we truly say if it's good or bad. :wink:

Ehh, I would suspect Lego unveiled the set they found most appealing first, much like they did with Bag End. I mean it's possible the other sets will look better, but why wouldn't Lego show them off first to get the hype going?

Remember folks Lego likes to tease all of us.....it creates a lot of internet chat, etc.,.....free promotion or advertising for the theme eh ? :laugh:

One set and we are all talking about the pros and cons of this new theme.....I wonder how many people poured cold water on Star Wars back in 1999 if any ? :wink:

I don't really know anything about TMNT, and have never payed attention to them, but I may still have to get a few of the smaller sets if they don't look too bad.

My initial impressions in looking at these.

The Turtles themselves look decent. Better that I expected. Not perfect, but more than good enough for my tastes. Not crazy about the head molds, but they do the job.

Shredder is great. A different color than I am used to, but still carries the effect and has lots of good parts and details.

Krang is just awful. But that's the new character designs from the show.

The vehicles look horrid. They may yet grow on me, but first glance, bleach.

Splinter = Kill It With Fire! Dear gods what is that thing. Somebody call an exterminator.

And why the hell is Crash Bandicoot In a TMNT set?!?!

[

Edited by Faefrost

I think that is actually part of the problem though. Lego is trying to duplicate the source material which is a highly stylized, CGI cartoon. The problem is they are trying to copy it with blocky lego bricks and minfigures

I guess we will see a line divided between AFOLs on Lego's take on these figures much like we did on the Clone Wars faces.(I liked them,if you were keeping track) One thing I am sure of though, these sets will sell very well. Kids love the new show and it sounds like the Playmates toys are flying off the shelves already. Lego made a very wise move adding this franchise to their lineup.

And why the hell is Crash Bandicoot In a TMNT set?!?!

[

:laugh:

While I respect your opinion, I am a bit surprised. The two things which really sold me on this line are the shell "backpack" and the accuracy of the turtle's head molds compared to that of the show. To each his own, I guess.

I agree. I am actually not a Turtles fan. In fact, I have not seen a single episode of any of the shows. However, I think the Turtles minifigures look great (especially the Turtles, though some of the villains look ok too) and I think I will pick a set up just to get a Turtle for my collection.

Perhaps a little background information will help alleviate some of the hatred towards the Shellraiser set. Apparently in the new show, the vehicle is made from an old subway car, which would explain its very blocky nature rather than a traditional "van" look. Also, it sounds like Leatherhead will make an appearance as well (for those who aren't TMNT fans or just aren't as old as me, Leatherhead is a mutated alligator and is very very awesome). So if we are lucky, perhaps one of the upcoming sets will feature him as well.

Personally, I hope for a Metalhead. Robot turtle... :wub_drool: He was my favorite of the action figures although neither myself nor any of my friends had one where the replacement arm thing didn't break. Poor maimed robot turtles. Anyone know if he's in the new show at all?

If nothing else, the Shellraiser might be a good jumping off point for a Party Wagon MOC.

Personally, I hope for a Metalhead. Robot turtle... :wub_drool: He was my favorite of the action figures although neither myself nor any of my friends had one where the replacement arm thing didn't break. Poor maimed robot turtles. Anyone know if he's in the new show at all?

According to the NYCC pannel for the show, Don makes a turtle drone which just happens to have the name "Metalhead". My brother used to have the figure and I would steal him all the time. I loved the see-though brain on top! :laugh:

If nothing else, the Shellraiser might be a good jumping off point for a Party Wagon MOC.

indeed, as someone else said, he is in the show. In fact, the action figure of him just came out.

I am interested to see the Stealth Shell, it looks like it could be very nice if done right. My 2 1/2 year old son is a fan of the Shellraiser, so it's doing something right.

:classic:

94052insetclosedv5.jpg94001stealthcycle-open-no-motion.jpg

Edited by robuko

I don't actually like the new show look, however, I think Lego really captured it here. Each Turtle has their inidividual facial expression, the shells and printing look good. My only complaint are the weapons - Michelango's just look awkward and Donatello's looks like a brown version of Darth Maul's lightsaber.

I'll be watching this line with some interest, but it'll still take alot for me to get into the new show in the first place.

Hmmm, from the pictures alone, I would not have recognized that... whatever it is, as Master Splinter, and that is actually what I was most excited for when I read this theme was coming: a Lego rat-man. Oh well, I don't think I will be getting any of these. At least there's no Michael Bay Movie coming, so not all TMNT nostalgy is ruined.

The turtle's eyes look really weird to me.

Darn that metalhead... I'm trying to resist buying the new figures. It was possible because every single one that wasn't the turtles are terrible. But that one gives hope for future figures...

£45 for the shellraiser!!!!!!! All I want is the minifigures, I especially want Shredder and a foot soldier army. But I will have to think about the Shellraiser set, I want to get Arkham £130, TDKR set £35, Mr.Freeze set for sure £12 and the minifigures series 8 man-bat with a pair of blue minfigs legs, so that would cost around £175. So I might pass on the shellraiser.

Some pics from NYCC:

Interior of Shellraiser:

TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase 8

Minifigs closeups:

TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase 9

TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase 7

And back printing of exclusive Kraang fig:

2012 NYCC Rockefeller Center 5

I have to say, I'm already a fan of the new show. I knew turtles in the 80s, but I've never been a fan or bought action figures of them. Now, after seeing the first four episodes of the new show - I love it! But I don't understand Legos policy about introducing the new products to the fans. When will the lego line start? The show is a success already and the playmates figures are available right now. So I think Lego has to hurry. If the line starts january, why still no pictures of all the product? I expected to see more sets at New York comic con. Showing only 1 set to the puplic is a little disapointing.

I'm still torn on the figures, but the more I look at them, the better they appear. I think they did a good job with the head molds and the shell backpacks. I doubt I will have to "get them all!" but I may end up picking up some of the cheaper sets depending on how they look. I mostly just want Shredder and some foot soldiers if possible. I would prefer a larger Krang, but this one doesn't look too bad (I haven't seen the source material). I can't wait to see more pictures so I can be for sure.