Rick

10233 Horizon Express

Thanks, they are 18 studs long now so I think that's an extra 4 studs each side

Good to see your pictures of a full train :sweet:

Just wish I had space for a permanent setup :( 90% of my Lego is in storage and will remain so for at least another three years!

Mine it's just arrived! I'm gonna star building it now, and i want to savour every moment :) Thank you for posting the bogey and valance modifications: it's exactly what i had in mind!

tbroyd, can you please post details of your modification?

Cheers

Does anyone know how to combine this with the 8866 train motor and 8871 extension cable? Its all I've got at the moment and it doesn't want to work, keep derailing on the curves. :wacko:

I bought 2 sets yesterday at the LEGO shop in Oberhausen and built them today. They look great, and with each "locomotive" powered by a 9V motor (equipped with DCC), they run great too. When powering the lights, don't connect the PF cable directly to the 9V motor, but put an extra (short) 9V cable in between (9V motor -> 9V cable passing through bottom of train -> PF cable -> PF lights). The PF cable is too wide and inflexible to correctly handle the turning of the motor bogie, and will cause the train to derail...

Regards,

Alain

Mine it's just arrived! I'm gonna star building it now, and i want to savour every moment :) Thank you for posting the bogey and valance modifications: it's exactly what i had in mind!

tbroyd, can you please post details of your modification?

Cheers

This photo probably shows the valance best. The coach at the bottom is how both coaches come in the pack. The top coach is one I have modified and valance between the bogies is the 4 studs longer

p1010652_-_copy.jpg

Just had an email from Lego S@H that my other two HE's are shipping. Looks like I might be able to put together a seriously long train...

Does anyone know how to combine this with the 8866 train motor and 8871 extension cable? Its all I've got at the moment and it doesn't want to work, keep derailing on the curves. :wacko:

8866 is the old PF motor for trains, and quite simply it doesn't work properly with newer trains sets (Maersk, HE etc) as the bulk of the extension cable gets in the way, and hits the edge of the train base when cornering - this is probably what is causing your derails. You'll need to bite the bullet and get 88002.

Just had an email from Lego S@H that my other two HE's are shipping. Looks like I might be able to put together a seriously long train...

My two sets will arrive today between 11.00 and 13.00 hours....cool....i'm off from work today....!!!!!!!!!! So 'backordered' did not influence the delivery...!!

Can anyone remember how long were the Maersk Train and Emerald Night sets available for until going EOL? Cheers.

Can anyone remember how long were the Maersk Train and Emerald Night sets available for until going EOL? Cheers.

The Maersk Tain was roughly April 2011 - December 2012

The Emerald Night was around April 2009 - December 2011

The Maersk Tain was roughly April 2011 - December 2012

The Emerald Night was around April 2009 - December 2011

Thanks for the info. Did they become hard to get much before their EOL date do you know? Just don't want to spend the funds on them (yes 2 of course) for a while but obviously don't want to miss out. Looks like I'll easily have all of 2013.

Yes, both sets became harder to get towards EOL - they started disappearing of various regions' S@H and retail sources dried up. You've got over a year to pick up a pair of HE's, but I wouldn't leave it to the last minute.

Yes, both sets became harder to get towards EOL - they started disappearing of various regions' S@H and retail sources dried up. You've got over a year to pick up a pair of HE's, but I wouldn't leave it to the last minute.

Duly noted. Thanks!

Having got two sets, I am already contemplating sets 3 and 4 to make up an 8-carriage + 2 loco train set as per the prototype, this set is really impressive I have to say!

I only got one set of the Maersk train and already wished I had at least two, and missed the Emerald Night and ended up having to pay aftermarket prices for it which was really frustrating considering how many times I looked at it in the Lego store!

Having got two sets, I am already contemplating sets 3 and 4 to make up an 8-carriage + 2 loco train set as per the prototype, this set is really impressive I have to say!

I only got one set of the Maersk train and already wished I had at least two, and missed the Emerald Night and ended up having to pay aftermarket prices for it which was really frustrating considering how many times I looked at it in the Lego store!

You're going to need a huuuge layout to fit a 10 car train on a straight! I'd even be wondering if you'd need to motorise the rear loco...

I missed out on Emerald Night too, due to not being that interested in the set. Every day I have to convince myself that the cost of buying 3 more carriages would be ridiculous...

You're going to need a huuuge layout to fit a 10 car train on a straight! I'd even be wondering if you'd need to motorise the rear loco...

True, perhaps I need to extend the house first!!! Or purchase more straight tracks, but think it may be cheaper to extend....

I have been messing about with the bogie / underframe setup, here is what I've done...

89cffeaee384db97fb2c7c2086a290b6.jpg

5342792929f97dd8d7a24ef1acd5742d.jpg

7c5d13463c2935c3c361fc41782bb561.jpg

5cb8430f4fd7b48ae68bed2e4fd882ef.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Managed to pick up two today. Said they had sold out already when I went in this morning but going back later they had just had a delivery so i got two straight out of the brown delivery boxes.

The chap in the store said they were selling like hot cakes. It seems that people do like to buy LEGO trains afterall!

Hello All

Just spoke to toyworld again and in NZ these are not due out till April. Dam they really buggerd me off when they said that, any one from around these parts know of anything diffrent.

Or its looking like i will need to order direct from lego and pay $80 in shipping and wait 2 weeks.

Help

Matt

Yes I know Matt, when it comes to LEGO New Zealand is at the very ends of the earth. Living in a rural area like I do I can spend the cost of postage from overseas in petrol to actually get somewhere that keeps a decent range of LEGO. The local shops here in town only order in a small amount of LEGO around Christmas and what hasn't been sold just sits gathering dust on the shelf until Christmas comes around again. These days I pretty much buy all my LEGO in from overseas and no longer bother with the local distributors.

I picked up two for my son for his birthday from the Cardiff store, and we were wondering how we motorize two sets?

Do you have to buy two of all of the needed power functions, or can I just hook an additional motor up to the front engine?

My two sets arrived the 4th of january...both boxes look at me as i'm still busy doing other thing that are more important! But, tomorrow i might start building!!

I picked up two for my son for his birthday from the Cardiff store, and we were wondering how we motorize two sets?

Do you have to buy two of all of the needed power functions, or can I just hook an additional motor up to the front engine?

You have a couple of options:

1. Power functions front and rear

This is what I have done, adding a complete set of power functions front and rear. I have also changed the rear light lenses to red which looks good.

Pros: Lights rear lights up without trailing extensions through the train. Power from the rear will help avoid train from accidentally uncoupling. Double set of batteries so longer running time between battery changes. Can split the two sets in half and run as two trains!

Cons: Expense. Chance that one IR receiver may get a signal and the other one doesn't - not noticed this yet and doesn't overly worry me. Possible imbalance if one set of batteries has less charge than the other.

2. Two power bogies in front locomotive

You can also just add a second power functions bogie to the front loco.

Pros: Cheaper. No chance of power bogies having conflicting commands.

Cons: The bogies will be facing in opposing directions so you will either have to add an 8869 control switch to reverse the polarity to the rear bogie, or open the bogie up and rewire it in reverse inside (soldering required). Rear lights will not light up, unless you add extensions through the train, or add a battery pack to the rear loco just for the lights.

One other thing, although I'm not 100% on this as I haven't added a second bogie to the front loco, but I think the rear brick built bogie has its centre pivot offset by one stud to counter the fact that the other two holes in the baseplate are half covered over by bricks. To add a power bogie at the rear you would probably need to remove this brick:

d2607d979737ee36c347c6f0ff180022.jpg

And replace it with one of these in white (3455 on bricklink):

2a9fee15aa29da05d3e2b78d983df9df.jpg