Rick

10233 Horizon Express

Heck with that, I wish whoever designed this set would design 1938 NYC 20th Century and PRR Broadway Limiteds at this level.... :) or maybe the '48s, or a reissued and revised Super Chief with an actual "boattail" observation car rather than the "just round the corners" of the last.

That said, I'm thinking that a pair of these may be the only bright spots in 2013 LEGO for me...

A little video from Norway... =)

Hope i can make a video of the HE myself on January 4 or 5....;-) But my HE will be twice the length...

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

Awesome sneak peak eiker86! And Sjaak I bet you cant wait to add this to your collection! :) speak to you later buddy!

I really like the look of the set. I just think that they should change the box art a bit before they release it. I like to think of Creator as 3 in 1 sets. I think that they should use the good old Trains logo, as they should have for the Emerald Night, the Maersk Train, and the track packs. Just a minor complaint. The expert label is new; I like that part.

Lego_Trains_logo.png

Agreed!

That bridge :wub:

Looks good, definitely cannot wait to lay hands on this set. 7938's getting relegated to suburban duties and this bad boy can do long range inter-city work.

Love it, the running coffee machine joke appears in this set

I don't know the coffee joke! It has probably gone over my simple head, please enlighten me someone :)

Given that most folks who get this set will buy at least two, it'd be most useful if they included sufficient extra parts to allow the construction of a second jacobs bogie for connecting the sets together.

Edited by That Lego Chap

I think I've decided to buy three sets, using up my £115 of VIP points to offset half of the cost. That should give me the parts to have two engines (I also have the PF parts ready and waiting) and six carriages. My only sticking point is what to do with the third engine unit...

I don´t want to ruin this, but my nerd senses are tingling: The passenger wagon windows are assymetrical!

91400705.png

The first car has 4 windows, but the second has 5. To be symetrical, one would have to change the two circled windows to three or vice versa.

Fortunately it seems to be no problem, or at least I don´t see any. I myself will have to change it.

PS: I am interested in the running coffe machine joke too.

Edited by Wabbajack

To be symetrical,

You would have to alter the pantograph and rebuild the interior too, if you want perfect symmetry. It looks fine how it is.

I don't know if it's the case on TGV, but on North American prototypes many if not most passenger railcars were somewhat asymmetrical in their window arrangements, usually around the lavs and the hallways passing around them on coaches, the kitchen and hallway area of a diner, or between the room side and walkway side of all-room sleepers.

I don't know the coffee joke! It has probably gone over my simple head, please enlighten me someone :)
PS: I am interested in the running coffe machine joke too.
Best I could find:http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1326/why-legomen-like-coffee

Or, without leaving the thread it can easily be explained...

Apparently TLG as a habit of putting coffee makers everywhere they can. Many buildings have one, even the beloved 10027 Train Shed has one!

Fortunately the coffee cups seem to vastly out number the makers, in fact they predate moulded horses as seen in set 384 (Knight's Joust) where the prince has a cup of Joe! Just about every working vehicle has a coffee cup fr the driver!

I believe this is the first coffee maker in an official train though...

Te invaders from planet caffine are increasing thier foothold on lego land!

I don´t want to ruin this, but my nerd senses are tingling: The passenger wagon windows are assymetrical!

Err... Did you watch the designer video? The windows aren't symmetrical because they're different cars. One is a first class with a toilet, the other a dining car.

How many Power Function motors are people planning on getting into these, what I mean is if we buy two to make a whole train, which I imagine most of us will, are you planning to put a motor in both engines? I have been getting the PF bits together already for it adding a bit to each order and have enough bits for the front train. Do we think that will be good enough to pull it or are most people going with two motors, IR units and Batteries? I am guessing if most of us go with two motors we will have to have one of those switch thing so that they both run the same direction as well?

I'm going to be fitting two train motors in to one engine (and hence one IR input), with a switch to reverse the polarity of the rear so the two run in sync. This means you're getting all the traction from one unit, rather than trying to balance two discrete engines at opposite ends of the train.

As such, my purchase list has been 1x battery box & charger, 1x IR unit, 2x train motor and then a bunch of lights and extension wires for possible use.

Just to make you guys jealus, i was the one controlling the Horizon Express at Telenor Arena.

We run it from Friday to Sunday ;-P

Sadly we only had one, it will look much better with a pair..

Oste Hovel

Edited by Oste Hovel

^Lucky you!

I think I'll start off with one set and figure out how to build a second engine for the rear. I only have a small oval of tracks.

Err... Did you watch the designer video? The windows aren't symmetrical because they're different cars. One is a first class with a toilet, the other a dining car.

Well, they will have to make do with curtains on the toilet :D. I will try my best when I get the set. But I think I will respect this detail over time.

Well, they will have to make do with curtains on the toilet :D.

Again, dunno about in Europe, but American practice was to use prism glass for restroom windows, stuff that would let light in but not let you see in or out.