Rick

10233 Horizon Express

Good to see it with a double set this time round, and PF lights! Certainly confirmed my purchase :)

This review has heightened my wish to own 1, or 2 of this set. I confess to being ignorant of Lego's release cycle but if they've clearly got enough of them in production to be releasing sets to LUGs and LEGO websites, why wait until Jan to release?

I would bet that it's to create hype over the new sets. If I wasn't confident that I wanted two before, I most definitely want two now!

The set was presented in a French Train Model Event in Orléans this week-end :

I can't wait to see the Horizon Express traveling on a large loop done with the straights (Holger Matthes)

Good to see it with a double set this time round, and PF lights! Certainly confirmed my purchase :)

I agree, looks even better as a complete running unit

perhaps its been asked, but why is this train classified as a creator set?

Because the Creator design team designed it. The Modular Houses are also designed by the same team, as were the previous exclusive trains, the Maersk and Emerald Night. The only real change here is they have chosen to put the creator branding on the box (and added expert).

Edited by peterab

I was just checking S@H (don't do it that often, otherwise my financial situation will take a very hard hit as I want to buy so many sets :wink: ) and saw that the set was put online. But somehow, this set is € 10,- more expensive in the Netherlands than in Germany. I do get that there are price difference between the different currencies (and continents), but a 10% price difference between neighboring countries? I guess I have to go to Oberhausen to buy some :hmpf_bad: (where they even have Dutch speaking staff as the lack of an official Lego Store in the Netherlands makes us go there).

Annoying indeed, I previously posted about that increased price in Belgium & Netherlands. I wait for the shop opening in December or January in Lille, for me it will be closer than Oberhausen (from Brussels).

I was just checking S@H (don't do it that often, otherwise my financial situation will take a very hard hit as I want to buy so many sets :wink: ) and saw that the set was put online. But somehow, this set is € 10,- more expensive in the Netherlands than in Germany. I do get that there are price difference between the different currencies (and continents), but a 10% price difference between neighboring countries? I guess I have to go to Oberhausen to buy some :hmpf_bad: (where they even have Dutch speaking staff as the lack of an official Lego Store in the Netherlands makes us go there).

Join us at the event in Günzburg next year and buy it there for the German price.

Well, if that isn't an offer... :grin:

Wonderful review! However, this will only whet my appetite for this set and render me more impatient. That's the side effect of a splendid review! :sceptic:

Join us at the event in Günzburg next year and buy it there for the German price.

Well, if that isn't an offer... :grin:

I think I am fortunate! I'll get it for the Austrian price, which will be as much as in Germany, I assume! :classic:

Given that most folks who get this set will buy at least two, it'd be most useful if they included sufficient extra parts to allow the construction of a second jacobs bogie for connecting the sets together.

Well, will two non-Jacobs bogies between them have the parts one needs to build a single Jacobs bogie? If so, there won't be a problem (I'd actually expect a bigger issue to be whether the parts of the carriage bodies will include enough material to permit an alternate build with the bogie mounting point whereever it needs to be for a Jacobs bogie, but even then I think that even if it doesn't come with the appropriate parts out of the box, getting the necessary parts won't be much trouble).

Or, without leaving the thread it can easily be explained...

Apparently TLG as a habit of putting coffee makers everywhere they can. Many buildings have one, even the beloved 10027 Train Shed has one!

Fortunately the coffee cups seem to vastly out number the makers, in fact they predate moulded horses as seen in set 384 (Knight's Joust) where the prince has a cup of Joe! Just about every working vehicle has a coffee cup fr the driver!

I believe this is the first coffee maker in an official train though...

Te invaders from planet caffine are increasing thier foothold on lego land!

Sure, but does it qualify as a "joke"? I mean, just putting a coffee machine where one might normally, naturally expect a coffee machine to be isn't necessarily a joke, just attention to detail...

I dont think that there will be enough parts to make a jacob bogie as there are some rather hard to find pieces in it.

so lets hope that we get a lot of spare parts

The reason they're isn't a Jacob's Bogie between the Engine and the Coaches is becuase thats how it is in real life and my 10 year out of date Trainz simulator! :wacko: (yes the z is their in the title of the simulator)

The reason they're isn't a Jacob's Bogie between the Engine and the Coaches is becuase thats how it is in real life and my 10 year out of date Trainz simulator! :wacko: (yes the z is their in the title of the simulator)

I think they're more concerned about adding a Jacob's Bogie in place of the bogies at the "end" of the Horizon Express, for when they combine two sets together to make a full train. Thus, having the Engines still separate, but having all four coaches connected via Jacobs Bogies.

But I don't think it should be too much of an issue. Even if the two standard bogies don't have all the requisite parts, I don't see any parts on the Jacobs Bogie that are super-rare or expensive. So you could easily build one either with parts already in your collection or with parts acquired through Bricklink or Pick-a-brick.

That's right

i was just concluding on my own collection where i saw a piece in the bogie that i only have once whilst you need 2 of those

but i think i will be buying those pieces when i pass through s@h when i buy the HE

It's not that hard getting some extra pieces

Edited by legoboy1a2

Well, the hard part is that you'll probably have about a 3 stud gap in the skirting next to an added Jacob's Bogie between two HE's. Probably not too hard to fill, but you'll need a few orange tiles (hopefully Lego thought to toss those in extra with the set).

You should be able to drop one of these bad boys in without issue. The gap under the base between two sets is larger than the gap between the two passenger wagons in one set...

post-12493-0-80886100-1354938669_thumb.png

th_938849251_gallery_5261_227_125646_122_97lo.jpg

Also it looks like the release has moved up a day. I'd like to see more of this trend as it's release gets closer...

http://shop.lego.com...n-Express-10233

Edited by typo

Hay guys.

I did a test with LDD, and yes i missed a car out but it was more to test the idea. Yes you can use those boggies in the middle of the train with no issues. You just need to mod the undercarage a little and make it a bit longer.

The links between the Loco and trucks are like that in real life so i would not change them. but this is what i am doing to mine when i get my hands on them in 3 weeks. Will be running two 9v motors in one of the locos and see if that is enough.

horizontwosets3.png

horizontwosets2.png

horizontwosets.png

Edited by Lazarus

Just a few quick FYI's:

1. On a real TGV, the locomotives on each end will carry the same number. So if you buy two sets, use the same numbers from each sticker sheet, not different ones. (if you're going for accuracy) Also, early orange TGV's had the numbers below the rear-most panes of the windscreen, but they were later moved forward to be on the sides of the nose.

2. The 5-unit LDD version above is a rare but true configuration. It is the shortest configuration that can actually be done. Loco-end car-cafe-end car-loco. This is the "world record speed attempt" configuration. All the "standard" coach cars are removed, and just 1 of each type of "unique" car remains (1st-class end car, cafe/bar, 2nd-class end car) If you really want to be accurate, this configuration was done using TGV set #16. (and it forever had a plaque mounted on the outside, celebrating the achievement--though today a different TGV set holds the latest speed record)

(I am actually unaware of a real-life configuration that has 4 cars between the locos--if anything I think it'd have to be 3 or 5 based on what has actually been done and how the cars can be separated---the cafe/bar car has always been the "link" in the sets, I do wonder if the bogies on it are subtly different somehow to make it the "master link" as it were between other cars)

Personally I would highly recommend going with the 5-unit version as above. It is very correct/realistic. You may have quite a few "wasted" pieces from the second set, but it looks nice, is symmetrical, and you'd have all the parts needed for the Jacobs bogies. (and anyone who might see the set and question such a short TGV configuration can be told about the world record attempts--which were successful)

Edited by steele