Rick

10233 Horizon Express

What American steamers are you referring to?

Perhaps I am mistaken but I believe he was making a personal dig against my MOCs, not official sets.

--Tony

All in fun. You make the most outstading steamers, Tony :thumbup:

I do think the HE is as good as the Emerald. The passenger car is just as good/advanced if not better and the loco is what I'd expect a TLG designer to come up with if he had the same budget as the Emerald

Looks good as a ready-to-motorize set, especially in pairs. Another one where someone will want extra middle cars to make a full-length train! If two PF train motors can fit in the leading vehicle, will that be enough for the longest train?

Parts-wise, the orange front parts won't be much use for anything else but it's worth it for the 18 black train windows. Why did TLG ever get rid of the proper glass for them? At least the larger one (4035) stayed.

There are 3 coupling sets in the set. That's actually good for me as I don't use them! I use either the old type on a 2x3 with hole or replace the couplings with Technic 5M thin liftarms for a rake of vehicles. Useful that the set has 4 2x3 plates with hole.

Mark

In a word, this looks awesome! I'd very much like some banked track to go with this set, as I see myself buying 2 and equipping 2-4 PF motors underneath... :devil:

How are you planning to make banked track?

In regular track, a single PF motor will produce enough speed to fly out of a curve.

I do think the HE is as good as the Emerald.

Definitely agree with that.

Sava's steam trains are more spectacular than the Emerald Night.

But I have yet to see an AFOL designed TGV train that beats the 10233!

Looks good as a ready-to-motorize set, especially in pairs. Another one where someone will want extra middle cars to make a full-length train! If two PF train motors can fit in the leading vehicle, will that be enough for the longest train?

I think that one PF motor will be sufficient to pull two sets. If you add more cars, from a 3'rd set, you'll probably need a second motor. Most of my trains have 1 motor and are 5 feet long (the same length as two sets of 10233).

Edited by hoeij

There are some cool parts and features on this train set but it would look amazing with a purpose built nose cone to clean up the lines.

It would indeed, if you're a Playmobil fan. Remember, this is Lego, and especially the Creator line, which is all about brick-built structures. And they did a great job with this TGV. It brings back memories from the eighties, when I was on vacation with my parents in Burgundy, and we went watching the TGV's go by.

Also might have to give it a paint job like:

Other image

Even the thought of that make me even more excited!

EDIT: This is available in yellow!

Are you sure this is not just a white balance issue with the photo? Was there ever one that is actually yellow?

@Nicolas

the TGV "La Poste" of the french poszal service is using full yellow trains just for postal cargo. They are that fast with that solution, that airmail is not necessary anymore. There are directions where no planes are used but TGVs.

It is the first and only time i heard high speed trains are exlusevly used for cargo!

Yellow supertrains:

http://www.google.de/search?q=tgv+poste&oe=UTF-8&hl=de&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=BexpUNW2OYSL4gTOzoHoDw&biw=768&bih=928&sei=k-1pUJEDi9HhBIyjgbAI

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

The only down side that I can see is that it is a train that has a pantograph system again. Not that I don't like them, but they never sell any masts or other features to make them look right on the track and having to get enough bits to build a whole circuit of them just adds to the overall cost. I have the red passenger train and yellow cargo train but hardly ever use them because of this issue. Running without at least the poles at track side just makes the train look weird like something is missing, which of course it is.

I will still buy a couple, but I really must get the bits together for all those masts and the like.

yeah!!!!!!!!!!! thank you LEGO, im deffo getting at least two sets, these will look great, tho I still need a emerald night,#

#

Yeah thanks again :thumbup:

It looks to be a very nice set, but I'm just not too excited over it right now. There's so much more out there that I'd rather buy instead (modular buildings).

This set just reminds me too much of the current Red Passenger Train to jump on it.

Edited by eliminator

The other plus is the printed panels on the sides where the black bar starts. Why couldn't they have printed a piece like this for the Maersk paint scheme? I really dislike stickers...

Are you sure those elements are printed? I thought they were stickered...

For the Maersk set, of course, the answer is probably "because they already planned to do a sticker sheet for the Maersk logos, and figured they could put that pattern on the same sticker sheet." Economy prevails.

Though I wonder if the "use stickers for all logos on co-branded products" policy has been changing lately, since the Ferrari sets in the current Shell promotion use printed elements for a lot of parts.

Of course, in that case they are meant as smaller toys, whereas with larger sets that are treated as a model kit TLG may think the users, being competent enough to apply stickers, won't mind them. And in some cases I'm sure they're correct-- stickers have been the bog standard in other advanced themes like Technic for years, and obviously it hasn't had a significant impact on profits or TLG would start printing Technic elements in a heartbeat (surely pad printing on things like Technic panels would not be difficult).

Official Video available through Facebook !

design.jpg

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Edited by GRogall

to the gentleman who was complaining about the new set bet being orange and black, instead of orange and grey..... have you realised every photo of the real TGV looks "old". i'd atribute that to the grey on the train....

lego wants their train set to be flashy enough to sell. black looks alot more modern when paired with orange than gray does....

and im i going to be the only one looking out for 6 blue wedges from the railway express set?

Are you sure those elements are printed? I thought they were stickered...

I could be mistaken, but in the video I thought he said they were printed...

All in fun. You make the most outstading steamers, Tony :thumbup:

Oops, my bad. I guess I missed the :wink:

I believe the TGV has 8 cars, so I might have to get 3. :tongue:

I would've prefered a high speed train based on the original Shinkansen, but the TGV is also nice.

This looks like a really nice model, I'd say one of the best.

I don't understand why black versus dark grey stripes are an issue. This model is inspired by the TGV. It isn't supposed to be an exact replica.

I could be mistaken, but in the video I thought he said they were printed...

Ah, OK. I didn't watch the video because I was waiting for a higher-quality version for better visuals. Thanks for informing me.

to the gentleman who was complaining about the new set bet being orange and black, instead of orange and grey..... have you realised every photo of the real TGV looks "old". i'd atribute that to the grey on the train....

The real scheme was orange and grey, period. I have been a big fan of the TGV (in particular the orange and grey scheme of the TGV-PSE) for most of my life and am quite certain of the colors used.

I believe the TGV has 8 cars, so I might have to get 3. :tongue:

I don't understand why black versus dark grey stripes are an issue. This model is inspired by the TGV. It isn't supposed to be an exact replica.

A standard TGV-PSE has 8 passenger-carrying cars, plus 2 "power cars" which most people would call locomotives. (this generation of TGV also has powered axles in the end 2 passenger cars, so things are a little strange). The configuration (assuming 1st class up front, as a TGV is intentionally double-ended and runs "backwards" just as often as it does forwards) is:

Loco, 1st class end car, two 1st-class "normal" cars, the bar/cafe car, three 2nd-class "normal" cars, 2nd class end car, loco.

The minimum configuration is 2 locos, 2 end cars, and the cafe car in the middle. This was used on most record attempts. (due to have the cars are designed and the bogie location, only certain configurations are feasible). Many models go for "1 of each distinct type of car" as it captures the overall feel/effect, is decently long, and still contains any particular type of car one my look for in a consist. (thus, loco/1st end/1st/bar/2nd/2nd end/loco)

As for being inspired by and not a replica---I agree, and I generally accept it (shape-wise, paint job details like the chevrons)---but getting the overall color scheme wrong is too much for me---it loses a huge amount of "resemblance".

Edited by steele

I agree that the color scheme is not correct but this is indeed not a replica. For me the fact that the windows are black instead of grey is not a reason to stop me from buying it. It's still a beautiful train.

To be honest I think that the train with black windows looks quite good actually

As earlier written by L@go this train was at LEGO Fan Weeekend i Skærbæk in Denmark last weekend. It`s going in to production now. It was the prototype and first to see it was you AFOLs. They know it`s a lot of 9v fans out there (no, 9v is not back) and it`s build to put PF and 9v motor on. This time without technic axel who gives a lot of friction :classic: Very nice train :thumbup: Buy more than one to get a nice long train....

Edited by morty