Rick

10233 Horizon Express

The last one is still a TGV?

Looks like an ICE-train to me. :tongue::wink:

Hi

this one is a TGV Duplex. The enginge is different and the cars has two floors. But yes, is looks lie an ICE 2 or 3 too ;)

Dino

Wow, and what a surpise. I didn't expect a DTC train for another year.

It is a pleasant surprise (albeit not for my wallet) that we get another icon as a LEGO train. And it looks great!

As an American, I am not quite a excited about this as I was about the Maersk, but as a train fan, I love the set! Just like with the Maersk, I am in times 2 plus Power Functions on Day 1. Even with the difference in prototype locations, I can only imagine this orange beauty cruising through a yard of blue and grey Maersk locos and container cars. The small sticker sheet and abundance of printed parts is also a great direction for these Creator Expert sets to start off in.

Hi,

So far, no one has quoted 7745

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7745-1

7745 was red but still was already a rendition of the orange french TGV.

It's quite interesting to compare 10233 and 7745. Train consist, minifigs count and gender, motorization/tracks, price and part count, alternate models, overall design...

The 7745 came with a sticker sheet with some european railway companies logo (German DB, French SNCF, Danish DB...). It was a way to let people make their own choice - for the same goal, 10233 is not branded.

Didier

Back in January, I posted a life cycle graph of Lego's train sets (interpreted broadly to include narrow gauge as well). Here is the same graph, updated to include 10233.

Green: City Trains

Red: Track

Blue: Structures

Purple: Creator Trains

Yellow: Theme/Specialty Trains

Orange: Narrow Gauge

[Graph removed and placed in discontinuation speculation.]

Many posters correctly predicted that there would be a Creator train in 2013.

Edited by MojoLego

:thumbup:

800px-Cd41-0015g.gif

*oh2* 574 kmh on a train that carries passengers??? Awesome!!!

This set is a must have for me. Sadly my train count stands at just one currently, 7938 Passenger Train but having this one too will encourage my son and I to really build our collection into something a little more impressive!

The TGV trains are awesome.

There are some cool parts and features on this train set but it would look amazing with a purpose built nose cone to clean up the lines. I won't be racing out to buy it like i did the Emerald Express and Maersk. However, I may pick it up for parts at some point.

I've been exclusively a Star Wars collector since ending my dark ages, but I've regretted missing out on the Emerald Night. I don't plan to miss out on this; it looks like an amazing set. The orange TGV is one of the most iconic high speed trains and Lego appears to have done a great job recreating it. The only tough decision for me is whether to get 1 or 2. :laugh:

Its an interesting design. I am glad to see Lego finally came out with this train. It has been one of the trains I have wanted to see built for a very long time.

James Mathis designed one that has striking similarities with this one.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=271230

Some common design elements

- The TGV being created without stickers. Jame's design though is far more detailed then the two arrows.

- The use of windows turned side ways for the passenger car.

I wish they had used dark grey instead of black. I own the HO and N scale models of this train and it is clearly dark grey. Photos on the web also indicate it as being dark grey.

They have definitely made use of some interesting techniques on the front of the engine, utilizing both side and upside down design for it.

It's been a long time since I've wanted a LEGO train set as is especially after getting into building 8-wide. The Maersk I was ambivalent about since it wasn't that different than the BNSF/TTX sets I owned and there's only one SD40 in Maersk Livery. The orange TGV was always my favorite train in my train books growing up and I always wanted to own 7745. Owning two of these will make the 5 year old in me very happy! Now if ME Models keeps their promise about October for R56 curves this will be a very excellent set.

If this is indeed the start of a new 'Expert' series, as the packaging suggests, ıt's going to be a really exciting series. Sort of like the modular buildings but for vehicles? This undoubtedly an outstanding set, but I'm amused that even the Lego design team couldn't get the control panel sticker on straight... :sceptic:

Is it just me or does anyone else thinks that this is a bit bulky?! Perhaps it's just the pictures.

I wish they had used dark grey instead of black. I own the HO and N scale models of this train and it is clearly dark grey. Photos on the web also indicate it as being dark grey.

That may be a deal-killing issue for me. The real ones were clearly grey, not black. However the model has a grey chin spoiler and the very tip of the nose. So they got a FEW bits correctly in grey, but most of the rest of the train is wrong.

63213343.jpg

Edited by steele

A YouTube link for the presentation (including designer video) was posted in some comments on Brickset. Linky here

In a word, this looks awesome! I'd very much like some banked track to go with this set, as I see myself buying 2 and equipping 2-4 PF motors underneath... :devil:

What a fantastic surprise -- first day purchase for sure!

Pretty sure this tops even the Emerald Night on the gorgeous list. default_wubnew.gif

Nah, it'd have to be an orange and black steam engine to do that, something along the lines of this MOC. I do however love the Lego orange color, so that's huge plus. And probably the one thing that might tempt me to consider this train...

Have you seen a better LEGO version of the beautifull TGV?

It's nice to see something modern instead of boring ugly antiquated american steamers :wink:

What American steamers are you referring to? The Toy Story and Ghost trains?!? Those are the only American steamers that I know of in recent years (and I'm not sure the Ghost train really even counts). Even though modern electric trains aren't high on my list of favorite train types, I can appreciate how much this model looks like the real thing, so that's another plus.

The other plus is the printed panels on the sides where the black bar starts. Why couldn't they have printed a piece like this for the Maersk paint scheme? I really dislike stickers...

I am very glad that another detailed train set is being produced, and that all the people who have been asking for a detailed electric train finally are getting their wish. I hope it sells well so there will be more of these in the future as these "Creator Expert" type trains are probably be the only trains I'll be buying for me from now on (though my 10 month old boy will need a city train set someday...).

Edited by domboy

This is a neat train, but I doubt I will get it. I just missed the Emerald Night and with aftermarket values where they are, I will never have that. But I don't think I would have as much use for this one. But it does look nice. I know very little about trains, so I guess it didn't occur to me about having to buy two to get a normal looking train.

Have fun with your builds everyone.

That may be a deal-killing issue for me. The real ones were clearly grey, not black.

Also, this is made of plastic, and is nowhere near as long as the real train. What were TLG thinking? I feel cheated, and I definitely won't be buying 2.

Definitely thinking of making this my first LEGO train purchase. I'm a little bummed it doesn't come with track or power functions but it's a beautiful looking model! Besides, looks like I can get a pretty decent length of track from LEGO for only $20.

A YouTube link for the presentation (including designer video) was posted in some comments on Brickset. Linky here

Thanks for sharing! Looks like this set will be the first second one to give us the inverted 2x2 tile? :sweet: (as previously pointed out by SuperKalle in this topic)

EDIT: Said piece was already released via the NinjaGo Samurai Mech set.