GeorgeCrecy

The Royal Minifig Ship Titanic

Hey Guys,

I would humbly suggest taking a look at a project I have been working on for way too long. This is a full minifig scale RMS Titanic, the dimensions being over 31 feet long, over three and a half feet wide, and eventually over seven feet tall including masts and funnel height. Without including masts, the model would be almost five feet tall.

My ultimate goal is to have each room, door, porthole, stairs, etc. included. I am not too focused on incredible detail, though many of the smaller things do find their way into it. Also, each deck will be able to be lifted off to see inside, though there won't be much in the way of interiors. Check it out at http://mocpages.com/moc.php/289808.

I began this a long time ago after watching some videos on youtube of people trying to make a Lego Titanic, and I decided to try and do a better job of what was commonly done. They were usually too small, and were obviously exhausting a person's collection with the variety of colors that showed up. I wanted something as full scale as possible. I also have dreams that if I was ever to make this in real life, that it would include lighting along the passages, working elevators, smoke machines under the first three funnels (as last was a dummy and extra vent), the reciprocating and electric engines working and turning the props, maybe even the rudder working too.

Current order of activity as of 12/20/15:

1. B Deck: Finish rework of walls.
  2. C Deck: Work on it, finish the wall outline, etc.
  3. D Deck: get to it!
  4. E Deck: get to it!
  5. F Deck: get to it!
  6. Orlop Top (G): get to it!
  7. Orlop Bottom (H): get to it!
  8. Bilge and Keel: yes, getting to it!

The curve of the hull is going to be a bugger to do, especially so considering that each deck is done separately. The brick count would be too much for my computer to handle if this was all in one model. I love MLCad for this, as I get to have so much versatility in model making, not to mention a lack of a part limit like in LDD.

Thanks and remember to like!

Edited by GeorgeCrecy

I wish you luck in your mega design challenge 'GeorgeCrecy', impressive digital creation so far.....though to make in real brick you'll need stacks of cash to buy the parts. :wink:

I would like to see your engine designs to scale as well....that will be equally as impressive as the exterior of the Titanic. I won't forget to tell my wife about this.....she's a Titanic tragic....loves any thing to do with that ship and what happen to it. :wink:

Brick On 'GeorgeCrecy' ! :classic:

Wow, an enormeous work, fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup:

Continue on this way :wink: :wink:

I have a question :devil: :devil: , after finished, will you do sink it?? :grin: :grin:

Welcome to Eurobricks. Good luck on your project.

Will you acutally be building this¿?

While I'd admire such an effort, I sincerely doubt that such a feat would be possible outside of LEGO's own model shops, unless the author of this massive project is the wealthiest AFOL on the site - not to mention 31 feet of uninhabited horizontal space in which to build it! default_huh.gif

While I'd admire such an effort, I sincerely doubt that such a feat would be possible outside of LEGO's own model shops, unless the author of this massive project is the wealthiest AFOL on the site - not to mention 31 feet of uninhabited horizontal space in which to build it!

I agree, but I want GeorgeCrecy to say it, as it doesnt seem clear to me from the initial presentation. (I actually opened the pictures expecting to see a project like Jumpei Mitsu´s "Yamamoto". Since this is GeorgeCrecy´s first post, I didnt know WHAT to expect...

Give him a chance. You do not know what possibilities he does have. His statement sounds to me like he would build it.

Who wants to guess how many parts are used?

This project will look spectacular when finished. The funnels and the shape of the ship look great so far. I'm sure if you can add all the decorations and furniture of the Titanic, it will look simply amazing. :wink:

Well, good luck with this MOC then and I hope we'll be seeing the finished result from you one day.

I look forward to seeing it. Good luck, it is a massive project.

I really enjoyed Scott Fowler's version displayed at BrickCon a couple of times. It was magnificent.

3697455235_b818053e73_m.jpg 1512687360_c7be66f432_m.jpg 1503868152_a27239e698_m.jpg

Hey Guys, here are some answers to your questions and comments:

I wish you luck in your mega design challenge 'GeorgeCrecy'

I like how you put my name in quotes. That was neat... and thanks.

Wow, an enormeous work, fantastic

Continue on this way

I have a question , after finished, will you do sink it??

Well Wedge, that was part of my little plan was that it be sinkable, maybe to the point of having a section that could be removed or opened electrically.

Welcome to Eurobricks. Good luck on your project.

Will you acutally be building this¿?

Thanks for the welcome and the luck, I will probably need it. In terms of building it completely, besides being incredibly mad in the first place, it would take a lot of time and money, both of which as a college student I don't have a lot of. Maybe at some time after I have won a few lotteries and have retired I will actually do this in real life, as great as that would be! Its so bad that I literally dream at night that I am shrunk down and am going through the ship. Hmm.

Give him a chance. You do not know what possibilities he does have...

Who wants to guess how many parts are used?

Thanks PsyKater, its always nice to be given that chance that so few others are given, at least not at first! :classic:

In terms of how many parts, that is a bit of a stumbler. Fortunately, there are various reports that I can generate and reference, so the person that can guess the closest to the TOTAL number of parts as of right now will get a cookie baked by yours truly. Does require for you to give me your address, birthday and social security number so you can collect your winnings.... :wink: But really, let me give you some idea of how many parts are in this. The Boat Deck (top deck) has 23863 pieces to it, the roof adding another 5817 pieces to that. The Promenade Deck (next down) with a lot less open space has 22271 pieces. This doesn't include what little of the other decks I have done, let alone those yet started. I might not reach over two-hundred thousand like with the Yamamoto, but I think I can manage a cool second place in terms of parts.

This project will look spectacular when finished. The funnels and the shape of the ship look great so far. I'm sure if you can add all the decorations and furniture of the Titanic, it will look simply amazing.

Well, good luck with this MOC then and I hope we'll be seeing the finished result from you one day.

I hope it will look as good as you think, as right now I have little hope with successfully making the curvature of the hull correctly. I probably won't be putting furniture in every room, but I might be tempted to do so in some of the important rooms. I also hope that this can be finished one of these days. I've been working on it for long enough (five years, two restarts).

I look forward to seeing it. Good luck, it is a massive project.

I really enjoyed Scott Fowler's version displayed at BrickCon a couple of times. It was magnificent.

Hey Tedbeard, I also enjoyed the ship, though not from personally seeing it. However, there were a few things that annoyed me enough for me to say that it is based on the Titanic, and not the actual ship. Much of the Boat Deck, Forecastle, etc. are incorrectly made out, which is not a put down on Mr. Fowler's work, its just a tad bit of OCD-ness on my part that its... you know... not really it.

One word: Ridiculous!

Good luck!

Thanks LegoDr!

Well, hopefully that answers some of your questions, and it's neat that my views jumped from around 700 to over 1000 in so little time, so thanks again to everyone and please remember to keep looking for updates on the work. I am going to make an effort to make sure that I get more out.

Cheers!

Edited by GeorgeCrecy

Thanks PsyKater, its always nice to be given that chance that so few others are given, at least not at first! :classic:

In terms of how many parts, that is a bit of a stumbler. Fortunately, there are various reports that I can generate and reference, so the person that can guess the closest to the TOTAL number of parts as of right now will get a cookie baked by yours truly. Does require for you to give me your address, birthday and social security number so you can collect your winnings.... :wink: But really, let me give you some idea of how many parts are in this. The Boat Deck (top deck) has 23863 pieces to it, the roof adding another 5817 pieces to that. The Promenade Deck (next down) with a lot less open space has 22271 pieces. This doesn't include what little of the other decks I have done, let alone those yet started. I might not reach over two-thousand like with the Yamamoto, but I think I can manage a cool second place in terms of parts.

Well, that's less than I expected.

Even if you "only" get it done on LDD/LDraw (did you already mention what you use?) it will be great. You will have the ability to make renders of different rooms and so on. :) Go on!

Hey Guys,

Take a look at the page again, as it has been slightly updated on the Forecastle and Poop Deck, not to mention the addition of the large cranes, which I had problems with before and are finally implemented in Lego! But now we have many of the little bits and pieces on there, like the mooring bitts, cranes, anchor chain channel, skylights, the aft docking bridge, etc. Lots of stuff and only so much that can be seen in the pictures I try to show.

I also need your guys' help. I am caught up with two things: the telemotor and lifeboats. If anyone could help with a design, I would appreciate it. Here are some pictures:

Telemotor:

tele_dock_stbd.jpg

I am aiming for this to have a base of 2x2, and not be higher than four or five bricks, something in that range. I was thinking to use one of the Technic wheels for the major part, but I can't find anything of the right size with a hole through the side to attach it to the base, and I haven't been too successful with anything brick-built.

Lifeboats:

titanic-lifeboats-5-300x189.jpg

There were several sizes that the lifeboats came in, from the standard sixteen, to the two collapsibles atop the Officer's Quarters, to the two hanging on either side of the Bridge. I think I am aiming for 26 bricks long on the collapsibles, perhaps 28 long on the regular ones, and only 18 or 20 on the smaller ones, and a width between 8 and 10. So if anyone can help with the design of these, I would appreciate it a lot! I am also aiming for these to be able to be sat in and used by the minifigs.

Thanks again guys, I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

For the lifeboats, I recal someone having some nice brickbuilt sail? boats with lifeboats, that would be helpful. I'll see if I can find them.

For your telemotor, after a few moments in LDD

post-7237-0-25921300-1350959026_thumb.png

(The stack 2x2 white round bricks is just for height reference.)

Sal

WFB, WI

Edited by legoboy3998

Hey Legoboy,

I do thank you for the telemotor design, its really nice! I hope you don't mind my using a slightly different version in my model?

Also, I do appreciate your help with the lifeboats. I have seen those done by others too, however it is hard to copy their brilliance without close inspection lacking in their photos.

Something I am finding in using digital building is that it is vastly harder to build than in real life. And not to cue the "well duh" moment, I am saying so because the lack of continuous updates is because there are various mistakes that are harder to catch than in real life (i.e. parts overlapping), the loading time to move around and to place/delete parts is getting to be a few seconds each time due to the size of the model, also slowing the process. I have tried separating decks and working on them as separate files rather than separate custom sections - or multipart as it is known as in LDraw - but I found that created more problems than solved them.

Plus, there are certain things that must be done in real life. For instance, I am trying to make working models of the reciprocating engines based on the work of

on Youtube, and it is only tripping me up due to the lack of my not having the model in front of me and feeling the torque of the Technic parts. So I fervently thank everyone again for their patience. Edited by GeorgeCrecy

Wow this is just too huge to even consider building.

Someone from my country also built a smaller version, I hope he doesn't mind me posting his picture:

dsc04020nnnn.jpg

Not a problem at all. Lord knows I've used modified versions of many a modlers work, please feel free to use as you wish.

As for the digital building, I agree with you totaly. I do most my building in LDD, than order the parts from PAB, as I don't have a huge colleection of useful parts. And, I agree, there are times when you just have to have bricks in front of you to mock up portions of the model.

Glad i could heop.

Sal

WFB, WI