16 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Go-Kart?

• 854/948

tn_8256-1.jpg

8256 Go-Kart was released in 2009, contains 144 pieces, and sports front wheel steering, and a rear-mounted 1-cylinder engine driven by the rear wheels, just like a real Go-Kart.

It was 15$ on release, and I paid about 20$ for it with box.

There aren't that many lime-green Technic sets, and this is the smallest one to get if you want one.

tn_dscn3682.jpg

A total of 8 lime green parts are present in this little go-kart.

tn_dscn3683.jpg

I thought the lime panels were unique to this set, but they also show up in the 8291 Dirt Bike from the previous year. At least this is the only set to include Soft Axle 7 in PLG.

tn_dscn3684.jpg

The wheels are 30,4 x 14s, and this is the only time these are seen in the Technic line.

Well, on with the build..

tn_dscn3685.jpg

Starting with the rear axle, with has a 16T gear on it.

tn_dscn3686.jpg

tn_dscn3687.jpg

A "Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pins" is used to connect the cylinder to the base. It's my first time seeing that this is done.

tn_dscn3688.jpg

The engine crankshaft is placed in the usual manner.

tn_dscn3689.jpg

tn_dscn3690.jpg

Another 16T gear is attached to it, giving a final drive ratio of 1 : 1. The usual drive ratio for go-karts are 3:1, but, that would make this engine run slower. Correct at will, VFracingteam.

The seats are next, made of liftarms, as usual.

tn_dscn3691.jpg

tn_dscn3692.jpg

On the right side, a silver flex axle is used to simulate a curved shape.

tn_dscn3693.jpg

tn_dscn3694.jpg

tn_dscn3695.jpg

The whole thing is placed on the chassis:

tn_dscn3696.jpg

The steering wheel is made in an unusual manner, first the wheel itself is place on some thin liftarms.

tn_dscn3697.jpg

tn_dscn3698.jpg

Then some liftarms in the front:

tn_dscn3699.jpg

tn_dscn3700.jpg

And the back:

tn_dscn3701.jpg

tn_dscn3702.jpg

tn_dscn3703.jpg

The steering hubs:

tn_dscn3704.jpg

tn_dscn3705.jpg

And rack:

tn_dscn3706.jpg

Lastly, the front is tilted towards the rear, and attached by some thin 2L liftarms.

tn_dscn3707.jpg

tn_dscn3708.jpg

Now some silver flex axles finishes the hood.

tn_dscn3709.jpg

tn_dscn3710.jpg

Front bumper in place, along with some panels on the sides.

tn_dscn3711.jpg

tn_dscn3712.jpg

tn_dscn3714.jpg

Rear exhaust pipe:

tn_dscn3715.jpg

tn_dscn3716.jpg

Finished! Now all that's left is the wheels...

tn_dscn3717.jpg

This go-cart will do a lot of spinning in the future.

tn_dscn3718.jpg

tn_dscn3719.jpg

tn_dscn3720.jpg

tn_dscn3721.jpg

A comparison between the other Technic go-karts; 8815, 8832, 1972 and 8225

tn_dscn3722.jpg

Ready to race:

tn_dscn3723.jpg

Along with the grandfather, 854:

tn_dscn3724.jpg

I think this is the best looking Technic Go-Kart yet. The wheels help alot, along with the panels. This is the only one to have them. It's also the only one with a studless design. I don't know why I waited so long to get this set. Thanks for watching/viewing pics :tongue: . Feel free to ask any questions about this set.

Big pics @ BrickShelf

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

i've always enjoyed the go-carts. cute models, and go-carts just lend themselves perfectly to lego technic. btw, you left out 854/948, my personal favorite.

KEvron

Good rewiew. The 854 was my very first Technic set as a child and i still have it with box and instructions :cry_happy:

Good rewiew. The 854 was my very first Technic set as a child and i still have it with box and instructions :cry_happy:

Thanks. I'll be doing some more of them, I just have to find the time... I wish I had started this hobby when I was a kid, and had a lot of spare time on my hands :hmpf_bad: But then I wouldn't have any money for buying sets either....

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Thanks for the review. I think this is one of the best-looking go-karts, and that's from someone who don't really like studless. The dimensions look better. It's a good thing no figure was included in this one, since all karts look too large for figures. The figures are discontinued however.

I don't own this set, but played with it a little bit. What really annoyed me was the big turning radius.

Hi Lost_In_Noise,

Amazing Lego collection karts and with their kart drivers!!!.. Please, I want to know: Do you have the Lego parts numbers of the black driver inside the Lego kart 8256 and if you have a detailed picture of this driver? Thanks and best regards.

P.D.Exist another Lego kart, but isn't Technical. Is Creator 4955. I attach a picture of it. .

LEGO_4955_Kart_zps9fb65f52.jpg

Good review, plenty of pictures are always welcome! :thumbup:

My vote goes for the 854 classic, just because I got it from my parents back in 1980, when I was about 9 years old...

Lost_In_Noise; besides front wheels steering and piston-moving, has this kit any other function?

8256 is my fav, although I don't have it. I'll probably try to build it sometimes.

I only have the black one, from when I was a kid, loved it. Must rebuild and let my kids have a go