Sign in to follow this  
Nikola Bathory

Not all file formats support transparency. JPG for example doesn't, GIF or PNG do support transparency. Be sure to set the background to transparent instead of white in your graphics program.

Ok, and then I have to manually cut picture surrounding, and to leave just what I want to be avatar? Or there are more steps?

Of course, picture has to be GIF or PNG.

That totally depends on your graphics program (I use the free program Paint.net, but you can also use The Gimp which is also free). Most programs have a 'magic wand' that allows you to select areas of similar color. I usually use that to select the background (has to be one color and contrast with what you're cutting out for that to work) and then simply delete it, i.e., make it transparent.

Also, if for some reason you decide to use MOCpages to host the avatar, transparent backgrounds will be turned black.

The problem is, that the menu in the upper right corner and my profile does not show my new avatar, but when I click on "Edit my Profile" it shows my new avatar. I don't quite understand..... :sceptic:

Did you also change your picture? The picture, which shows in the menu and profile, and avatar, which shows on the board, are two separate images.

I think he's talking about the same profile picture. I think I've experienced this also before, I suggest you try logging out then log-in again and see if your photo will show-up.

Often times clicking refresh or clearing your cookies will update your computers cache and you'll see the new image, but brickdoctor is right, your profile picture which shows up in the upper right is different from your avatar.

Did you also change your picture? The picture, which shows in the menu and profile, and avatar, which shows on the board, are two separate images.

Thank you, I didn't know that. :classic:

Sorry to bump an old topic, but what CallMePie described is happening to me, though without the computer crashing part.

I change the avatar and it says "settings saved". But the same avatar is still there. I tried what LuxorV said and uploaded the one I want to my brickshelf, and it said the same thing again, "settings saved". I tried refreshing, waiting for awhile, but no change.

CF

CF, that does happen sometimes (happened to me a couple of times before). Try any of the following:

1. After you've uploaded you new avatar, try to log-out of Eurobricks and then log-in again to see if your avatar has changed already.

2. Double check if your new avatar follows the following requirements:

Your avatar must be no bigger than 100 pixels by 100 pixels in size.

Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 20 KB.

The following file types are allowed: gif,jpeg,jpg,swf,png

3. Make sure the URL of the image that you posted is correct.

Hope those reminders will somehow help you solve your problem.

CF, that does happen sometimes (happened to me a couple of times before). Try any of the following:

1. After you've uploaded you new avatar, try to log-out of Eurobricks and then log-in again to see if your avatar has changed already.

2. Double check if your new avatar follows the following requirements:

Your avatar must be no bigger than 100 pixels by 100 pixels in size.

Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 20 KB.

The following file types are allowed: gif,jpeg,jpg,swf,png

3. Make sure the URL of the image that you posted is correct.

Hope those reminders will somehow help you solve your problem.

Yeah, it fits in with all the points accept I didn't think to try logging out then in. Though I noticed some kind soul of a regulator has changed it for me or the server has finally caught up with my fast changes. :grin:

Thanks for the help!

CF

Hello again.

I was looking at some replies and saw one user that his picture was a cat/tiger opening and closing it's mouth. So I was wondering how do get a moving avatar picture. If you need to just put your picture of a movie or something else. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Roodaksta

Well, I will answer your question and then give you my UNofficial answer for Eurobricks on the subject.

Moving images are referred to as .gif files instead of .jpg files. If you have Photoshop, that comes with a program called imageready which allows you to make .gif files. Otherwise you can search them out on the internet, like so.

th_lego_dance02.gif

[img=[b]http://th181.photobucket.com/albums/x185/rockstarosa/myspace/th_lego_dance02.gif[/b]]

You then would proceed to upload that file as your avatar.

NOW, there is a limit to 100k for avatars which is kind of small when it comes to animated .gif files, ALSO I am fairly certain and have heard in the past that EuroBricks Staff would prefer avatars to NOT be animated.

It does not specifically say avatars here, but they do adress it in the signatures section, so I would take that as a no for avatars as well, plus I know I've seen an admin address it before.

Signatures: As a rough rule, you may use up to four pictures each with a maximum pixel height of 200, a file size of 250k and no more than 200 words. If your sig is bigger than your average post, it can confuse someone reading a thread and you may be asked to reduce it, or a staff member may do it for you. Some exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, but please try to limit the space you use. Font size should be kept to a minimum: ideally no bigger than size 3. No animated GIFs are to be used in your signatures. <<<<Link to Guidelines thread

It does not specifically say avatars here, but they do adress it in the signatures section, so I would take that as a no for avatars as well, plus I know I've seen an admin address it before.

It goes for avatars as well. :wink:

From the Site Guidelines:

Images: Don't post images that are over 800x600 or are LEGO confidential. Images rarely need to be over 640x480, and any that are over 1MB (including GIFs) are not allowed unless there is admin approval. BMPs are never allowed. Avatar images should be 100x100 (and under 20k if hosted on EB), and may not be more than 400x400 (and 100k, even if hosted remotely). No animated GIFs are to be used as avatars. [...]

The avatar you're talking about is Zblj's and I guess it's okay because it's such a small movement. I also noticed mahjqa has an animated avatar, but it too is a very simple movement.

As a general rule, animated avatars and signatures aren't accepted here in EB, as stated in the Site Guidelines (except in special cases where the use of such is temporarily allowed for a certain period or reason, like avatar contests). And since staff members cannot monitor each member throughout the forum, any help from other members in pointing out (reporting to staff) those with animated avatars/sigs will be most welcome.

The gravatar idea is neat. Totally forgot I had one set up and was surprised to see an avatar I didn't use for ages!

The gravatar idea is neat. Totally forgot I had one set up and was surprised to see an avatar I didn't use for ages!

I'm sorry what? Did you have a question on avatars? What is a gravatar? You have an xbox live avatar right now, are you referring to that?

I'm sorry what? Did you have a question on avatars? What is a gravatar? You have an xbox live avatar right now, are you referring to that?

Gravatar. EB includes support for them.

Gravatar. EB includes support for them.

weird, brings me to a blank page.

Either way looks like more research is needed on my part.

weird, brings me to a blank page.

Either way looks like more research is needed on my part.

Googling 'Gravatar' should give you all the info you need. See also Wikipedia.

I don't know if it's because I'm still a Vassal, or what, but every time I go to change my avatar, it just ends up being the same picture!! :wacko: I've tried just about everything, from removing my picture to logging off, but nothing seems to do the trick!! Gaahhh!! Has anyone else encountered this problem??

Dakar

I don't know if it's because I'm still a Vassal, or what, but every time I go to change my avatar, it just ends up being the same picture!! :wacko: I've tried just about everything, from removing my picture to logging off, but nothing seems to do the trick!! Gaahhh!! Has anyone else encountered this problem??

Dakar

There's a 'picture' and an 'avatar' you can set, maybe that's the problem.

Is a head-on view of a minifig in a red car your old or new avatar? I don't remember that one. It might be a problem on your side of things, because I'm fairly certain avatar limitations are only imposed on the I'm New! group.

Is a head-on view of a minifig in a red car your old or new avatar? I don't remember that one. It might be a problem on your side of things, because I'm fairly certain avatar limitations are only imposed on the I'm New! group.

That's my new avatar. Now it's probably just a problem on my side, but just to be 100% sure, the avatar Is the image at the upper left of my posts, correct?

EDIT: Just double checked, I's working now. Mabye the server just needed some time to change it, or something. Thanks for the help, Brickdoctor and Rick!

Edited by Dakar A