Rufus

Classic Space Restoration Project

Hi Rufus, looking fantastic so far (and thanks for the mention re sourcing the box! - I think it looks great and a bonus it has the inner trays etc!).

I can't wait to see the 'before' and 'after' shots, I'm sure it will be a worthy investment too...!

Man, I spent some time a few years ago putting some old sets back together... but this is really above and beyond! I wish I was old enough to own/have owned some of these classics.

Thanks everyone for the replies! :wub:

This project sounds fabulous! Can't wait to see next parts!

Thanks! I'll be ready for the next step any day now (EB downtime has let me catch up somewhat!)

what a great project! :classic:

good to see you're finally dealing with men's stuff, instead of the kid's toys, like city, or star wars, or friends! welcome to the elite Lego fans, buddy! :laugh: ok... i just had to say that... :laugh:

Cheers, sne! I've been meaning to do something like this ever since I joined EB. Star Wars may have been what got me back into LEGO, but it was Classic Space that got me hooked in the first place. :wink:

i think you could buy old gray parts, like the wedges, plates, in (fairly) new conditiion. the older ISD is a great parts source for that, i guess...

what most of all strikes me, is the good condition of the white helmets. Most of mine are worn out, broken or damaged in whatever way

the trans yellow parts look fairly good as well, as far as I can see.

I got some good old grey wedges from Bricklink; I also bought a job lot from ebay (a risky move :look: ). No way my ISD is dying for this though - it's probably worth quite a bit now!

Sadly, the trans yellow parts aren't nearly as good as they look, but I may have managed to get hold of some better ones. :wink:

I was really hoping you were going to find a place to re-print those logos. If only so I could have some of my old pieces done there too. But the techniques you are using for cleaning I will definitely be, ummmm, not stealing....replicating. Thanks for doing this project.

I also find it funny you numbered your guy as I did the same thing back in the day...and every number had a name and backstory.

I looked long and hard for somewhere that would print CS logo bricks; I'm surprised no-one seems to. Short of shelling out a load of cash for a flatbed printer and doing it myself, I can't think of any solution.

I don't think I ever went so far as to name my dudes, but I did name the ships (as we'll see later!)

Hi Rufus, looking fantastic so far (and thanks for the mention re sourcing the box! - I think it looks great and a bonus it has the inner trays etc!).

I can't wait to see the 'before' and 'after' shots, I'm sure it will be a worthy investment too...!

Hey dude! Thanks again for inspiring me to go and buy that box! :thumbup:

Are you available on commission to refurb my old sets? :wink:

Wow this takes me back.

I had all the sets in your picture when i was young except the Galaxy explorer. I never had any of the big sets.

The 918 Space Transport was my first lego set ever. I was probably a bit young for it when i got it but when i grew a bit it became on of my favorite sets, and the first i could assemble without looking at the instructions. I even took it with me when i moved out.

No idea what happened to the rest of the sets. A lot of lego was donated to younger parts of the family but i think some sets still linger somewhere at my parents home.

Love to see the love for the classics! All time favorite set from my childhood. I think you've inspired me. I know what my winter project will be!

I acquired two Classic Space sets at LEGOWorld yesterday, and I can see why you're trying to get versions of the minifigs with the gold paint still on. Luckily, there was one fig that has almost all it's paint left.

Impressive project!

Based on your Yellow Castle restoration I have no doubt this set will look even better than new once you are done.

Makes me think about restoring my own 928 from my childhood. Must have been one of my first LEGO sets.

Well well well, so I guess I'm not the only person who chewed on his lego pieces when he was a kid. :tongue: Can't wait to see the finished product!

Edited by Zarkan

I'm impressed that you would have as many of the pieces of a set you had such a long time ago still in such a good condition. I probably couldn't build most of the sets I got a year ago! :laugh: (I have a tendency to trade pieces. . .). Looking great so far!

Looks fantastic.

If there are any pieces you are missing still that you want to replace PM me. I've got a couple boxes of random pieces, with a good dose of Classic Space, that I could dig through, specifically I should have at least on of the 2x4 grey hinge pieces, though I will have to check the condition.

This reminds me of an old Classic Space figure I have. He is a blue astronaut, and It wasn't until I looked a lot at the Lego Community that I realized I am very lucky, because the emblem on his torso is a perfect gold, and there isn't a single scratch, even under a magnifying glass!

If I can be of help with stickers for torsos etc. we can print metallic on both transparent and translucent. we hope to get a new printer in December and that one can even mix metallic so the colors can become exact like the original. We don't have equipment for printing directly on LEGO, but I can give advice on that too..

What a great project (if sad it's needed in the first place - I mean that so much has been discolored, broken, etc.). This was a fantastic-looking set, and one I always desperately wanted but never had. To this day it's the single set that most sums up what "Classic Space" is, I think - just beautiful.

The Box

A scout around on Bricklink allowed me to find this original Galaxy Explorer box, in good condition and for a reasonable sum. Unfortunately, it's the American 497 version, but you can't have everything. :sad: I have to thank EB member jamzee for the pointer on this one!

8054512561_4fc45412e3_c.jpg

It's a little battered at the corners, but in remarkably good condition, with no major creases or tears. There's a sticker mark in the bottom right corner, but it's hardly noticeable. Compared to the European version, the obvious differences are a slight rim of white around the edge (the Euro version's picture goes all the way to the sides) and the addition of a little text: 'Space System' under the LEGOLAND banner; '325 Interlocking Pieces' in the bottom right, and the age guideline under the LEGO logo. The diorama of the ship streaking low over the moonbase is simply gorgeous. :wub:

My goodness, it is. TLG really should think about offering that box art as a poster - either the original photo by itself with no logos or text, or with all of those so that it recreates the entire box lid. I'd dearly love to have that image on a wall.

I actually wouldn't be so much in such projects since I'm not a huge space fan... but I must tell this is outstanding and I really admire you for your work!

Rufus - as a huge fan of Classic Space (CS) and early 80s LEGO, I always find topics like this really fun and interesting.

I've got a modest collection of my original CS sets and most of the instructions. Here's a few shots in support of your project.

20set2.jpg

497 Galaxy Explorer - one of the best CS sets ever made!

14set.jpg

487 Space Cruiser - I use to throw it through the living room to create crash scenes.

11set.jpg

493 Space Command Center - my first CS set. It got a lot of play.

19set2.jpg

6970 Beta I Command Base - with a small space shuttle, tram, and base, how could anyone not like this set? Top notch play value!

08set.jpg

442 Space Shuttle - still have a crushed box for this one.

12set.jpg

6901 Mobile Lab - one of my favorite sets, I use to play Battlestar Galactica with this bad boy. I always loved the trans. green elements.

18set2.jpg

483 Alpha 1 Rocket Base - I was never a huge fan of this set and lost a few of the pieces over the years (one hose or two and a blue & gray faucett piece.

11set.jpg

6880 Surface Explorer - this came later and introduced the yellow space fig - great set!

15set.jpg

6927 All Terrain Vehicle - probably my last CS set, I unfortunately lost the instructions to this set but found them through Peeron. It was always fun to open the back section to drop the lab.

More detailed images of all the sets can be found here: http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=179261

Well, that certainly was fun. Thanks for creating/sharing this topic as these CS sets certainly bring back a lot of childhood memories for me. Good luck with your restoration project! :thumbup:

avspace2.jpg

Well well well, so I guess I'm not the only person who chewed on his lego pieces when he was a kid. :tongue: Can't wait to see the finished product!

I too, was a brick chewer in my youth. Whenever I was building, I had a mouthful of LEGO. And who needed a brick separator when you had teeth? :-)

Rufus - as a huge fan of Classic Space (CS) and early 80s LEGO, I always find topics like this really fun and interesting.

I've got a modest collection of my original CS sets and most of the instructions. Here's a few shots in support of your project.

497 Galaxy Explorer - one of the best CS sets ever made!

487 Space Cruiser - I use to throw it through the living room to create crash scenes.

493 Space Command Center - my first CS set. It got a lot of play.

6970 Beta I Command Base - with a small space shuttle, tram, and base, how could anyone not like this set? Top notch play value!

442 Space Shuttle - still have a crushed box for this one.

6901 Mobile Lab - one of my favorite sets, I use to play Battlestar Galactica with this bad boy. I always loved the trans. green elements.

483 Alpha 1 Rocket Base - I was never a huge fan of this set and lost a few of the pieces over the years (one hose or two and a blue & gray faucett piece.

6880 Surface Explorer - this came later and introduced the yellow space fig - great set!

6927 All Terrain Vehicle - probably my last CS set, I unfortunately lost the instructions to this set but found them through Peeron. It was always fun to open the back section to drop the lab.

More detailed images of all the sets can be found here: http://www.majhost.c...ry.cgi?f=179261

Well, that certainly was fun. Thanks for creating/sharing this topic as these CS sets certainly bring back a lot of childhood memories for me. Good luck with your restoration project! :thumbup:

Funny. It's like you stole my collection. I think I had every set you posted!

Rufus, I loved to follow your Yellow Castle restoration project, and this is turning out to be just as fun to watch.

Can't wait for updates

The recent pics posted take me back to 1980ish. I too had most of those sets and many missions were carried out. What a wonderful childhood. Although SW got me out of my dark ages and I have many more SW sets than any other theme those classic space sets spurred so much creation and creativity and adventures of youth.

Great work so far mate. A really nice idea to spruce up a classic. You have given me a little inspiration to redo a classic set sometime soon as well.

Oh my, this is a great project. I don't even know these sets, so great to see them. These look very great I must say. Mush fun restoring these to there former glory.

I'm really impressed with all the work you've done; it really looks great. I'm actually getting a bit choked up looking at it; it looks like my set has been forever lost. Loved, loved Classic Space.

BTW, I think it is just adorable that you numbered your guys. :sweet: