Sign in to follow this  
Banjo

Guide for adding multiple "neck accessories" in LDD

Thanks to Superkalle, I knew that despite LDD's "one neck accessory only" restriction, multiple items COULD be added by "cheating" (using scaffolding, etc.), but could I find out exactly HOW on the forums? Nope! :cry_sad:

So, rather than beg for help again, I spent last night figuring it out myself, aided only by a few clues here and a picture of a suggested "scaffolding".

To avoid anyone else having to go through the same trial and error as I did (and to "give something back" to this forum, since I'm new here), I documented my efforts and the result here:

Click for my Brickshelf folder containing text and image guide, and sample lxf files

I did this to create the Alien Conquest "Alien Commander" minifigure, but the same procedure would likely work for any minifig requiring multiple "neck accessories", such as LOTR Gandalf (beard+cape) or Imperial Soldiers (epaulets+backpack) from the old Pirates theme, with a bit of tweaking.

I've also uploaded some completed "head/neck/accessory assemblies" (templates) for people to download and use as-is (and avoid having to do all the steps) below:

Click for my Brickshelf folder containing over 35 lxf "neck assembly" pieces

This includes templates that will allow you to build LOTR Galdalf (beard+mantle) and Imperial Soldiers (epaulets+backpack), as well as a dodgy-but-workable assembly combining an Air Tank with an Insectoid Helmet, for use until the LDD collision bug for those parts is patched.

Anyway, I hope this is okay to post (and okay to post in this format, as a link), and I really hope this proves useful info to somebody! My images/explanations are probably not the best, but hopefully they make enough sense to help someone attempting this to figure it out too.

All in all, a fun learning experience going "outside the box" with LDD! :sweet:

Edited by Banjo

Excellent work :thumbup::thumbup:

If you would have the time to eventually make a post here with some pics embedded, and some text it would be MUCH appreciated. :sweet:

Excellent work :thumbup::thumbup:

If you would have the time to eventually make a post here with some pics embedded, and some text it would be MUCH appreciated. :sweet:

My pleasure. As I said, I hope it helps someone else!

I'll see if I can do a "post" version sometime later next week when I have the spare time (though I seem to think I saw somewhere that this forum has a significant "image size" rule, doesn't it?)

Well, yeah there is a rule of max 800 pixels width, so to keep loading times and page layout in control. I agree that it's annoying for people who have good info to share, but don't want to spend time resizing pics. But if you have the time, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, maybe you can write some "article" text here, and then at least put links to the pics in appropriate places. Maybe that can be a good compromise (even though there is nothing as nice as a little eye-candy off course).

EDIT: Just noticed the BS folder is "not yet public". Strange, I looked at it the other day :wacko:

I'll see if I can do a "post" version sometime later next week when I have the spare time (though I seem to think I saw somewhere that this forum has a significant "image size" rule, doesn't it?)

Exactly, 800x600 is the maximum size allowed in this forum, but you can use clickable thumbnails if you want to share bigger images.

Anyway usually 800x600 is enough big (and often it is too big!), so there should not be problems.

After that the guide will be complete, I'll link it in the index topic.

Exactly, 800x600 is the maximum size allowed in this forum, but you can use clickable thumbnails if you want to share bigger images.

Anyway usually 800x600 is enough big (and often it is too big!), so there should not be problems.

After that the guide will be complete, I'll link it in the index topic.

Is the folder accessible now (or do I need to 'set' something... first time using Brickshelf!)?

I don't mind the size limit, it's only that LDD outputs bigger than 800px so a pain to resize them each time! :)

There's a txt file in the folder that goes with the pics, incidentally, if anyone missed it, along with a few "finished assembly" lxf files too.

Edited by Banjo

Is the folder accessible now (or do I need to 'set' something... first time using Brickshelf!)?

Yes, the folder is accessible now.

Brickshelf is moderated. This means, that each folder is by default private only to owner. After moderators review the content, it is made public. This applies also to changes in the folder. Whenever folder content is changed, it is made private again and waits for moderators to get back public access.

I don't mind the size limit, it's only that LDD outputs bigger than 800px so a pain to resize them each time! :)

There's a txt file in the folder that goes with the pics, incidentally, if anyone missed it, along with a few "finished assembly" lxf files too.

As explained above, brickshelf is moderated, anyway direct links are immediately accessible.

So, if you insert a direct link to your images, you don't need to wait that your gallery is reviewed by the moderators.

About resizing images, you can do it in a while with many image viewers (for example, on a windows machine, Irfanview), that contain a batch procedure to resize many images together.

For a finer work, you can use some simple image editor software (for example, I use PixBuilder Studio).