I never got SR3D Builder to work on my computer, which is kinda annoying. But I am liking MLCad more and more! :grin::thumbup:

I also finally got POV Ray figured out, so I'll show you my first self made render, where you can also see the progress of the model instructions:

1024x576.jpg

I have also finished modelling the cabin, but that's not coming on just yet :classic:

EDIT: Is it normal for LPub to take 15-20 seconds to render each step? I'm just wondering, as the render above took maybe 5 seconds tops, and it looks better than the ones coming out of LPub. That being said, I have no clue as to how this actually works, and which parameters are concidered, hence me asking :classic:

Edited by D3K

[...]

EDIT: Is it normal for LPub to take 15-20 seconds to render each step? I'm just wondering, as the render above took maybe 5 seconds tops, and it looks better than the ones coming out of LPub. That being said, I have no clue as to how this actually works, and which parameters are concidered, hence me asking :classic:

No, it isn't. Well, actually it is, sort of, but it shouldn't. There seems to be a problem with LPub and LDview on some Windows (7?) machines. You can google a bit, there was a discussion about it on the LDraw forums. I can't remember if they found a solution or not, but I do remember the problem was a bit vague and nobody really knew what was causing the problem. I also had the problem on a previous Windows 7 machine (and a Windows 7 machine before that one didn't had the problem :wacko: ) and my current Windows 8.1 (with LPub 4 and LDview beta) doesn't have the problem either (luckily). :wacko:

Thanks for the reply!

I run Windows 7 64 bit on a fairly decent laptop (core i7 quad, 8 GB RAM and a 2 GB Nvidia graphics card), so hardware should be OK. I did a hard reinstall of Windows since the Swingloader MkII, but I remember having the same problem there. As it is now, this is the most annoying and time consuming part of the entire instruction making process. :ugh:

I will try some different things to see what I find out :wacko:

EDIT:

:grin:

Installing Ldglite, and using that as the preferred renderer seems to solve my problem. Rendering of the steps seem infinitely faster!

Edited by D3K

Been doing some more MLcad'ing, and have finished the bigger part of the chassis, stepped and everything, ready to be made instructions of. I still need to figure out a nice way to fill in the space between the front and rear axles on both sides, as well as find out what to put on top of it.

I am concidering releasing instructions for the chassis + cabin, and leave the back open for modding by those interested.. Thoughts on this approach? :look:

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

This is more or less the state of the physical model at this point as well :sweet:

Edited by D3K

That would be cool if you could do that,perhaps a simple template could be useful, so that moders could know that size to make the bodies.

Not a bad idea that.. I have an LDD that I can modify to have the same "space" in the rear as the MLcad model, so that people can see what they will be able to fit in there.

Currently I have a dual pump compressor installed (for a rear logging attachment, heavily modified from the one off 8110), with room to spare.

Also I am concidering removing, or at the very least redesigning, the motor for the RC diff lock, as it doesn't work 100 % reliably (motor turns back after it stalls when engaging or disengaging the diff lock. Thought I fixed it by adding some backlash (8 tooth gears), but apparrently not quite).

Another thing is the central differential (4L 24z + 16z type), that seems to be pretty weak. The entire geartrain is very solid and well reinforced, but I have a lot of gear crunching inside the diff when I hit an obstacle. Ideas on this?

Update:

640x360.jpg

(clickable for high res)

Edited by D3K

Small update:

I came up with a solution for the differential problem I mentioned in the last post. It is simply impossible (literally) to have the desired strength in the desired space with a lockable diff using legal techniques, the 4L diff is just too soft as it is. So I took one of my old ones, removed the small pin for the spider gear, made two small holes and pushed a 4L bar (cut to 3L) through it with two spider gears, like this:

640x360.jpg

Thereby making it infinitely stronger. As I soon found out, the weakest link is now something more traditional:

640x360.jpg

And that was actually inside the torque tube part for the 2nd axle!

I'm still playing around with what to put on the back.. I concidered a standard tipper, something like this:

640x360.jpg

(That's the one from my last dump truck, which isn't quite to scale, but I used it to test geometries and whatnot.

Then there was the previously mentioned logging attachment in 8110 style:

640x360.jpg

And yesterday I started playing with the idea of a hook lift.

I made a pretty nifty mechanism to change from tipping to unloading, if you can manage to understand it from the following two images:

Loading/unloading container mode:

640x360.jpg

Tipping/dumping mode:

640x360.jpg

It works by rotating the 9L axle roughly 1/4 of a revolution. In the first picture, you can see the 4L axles attached to the rearmost set of pulleywheels with a set of #1 angle connectors, are pushed through the 2x4 bent liftarms attached to the chassis. At the same time, the front pulleywheels pull out the 3L axles, thereby disengaging the front part of the hook lift bed.

In the second picture, it's in the opposite setting, rear 4L axles disengaged from the 2x4 bent liftarms, and the forward 3L axles engaging the front of the hook lift bed, thereby making a rigid platform all the way to the back.

Still a lot to figure out regarding the final model. I have for instance removed the ability to engage/disengage the diff lock remotely, thereby making more room for other functions.

Higher resolution pictures, as well as WIP photos and some renders can be found in this bricksafe folder. :classic:

That is certainly a nifty switching mechanism! I think the logging attachment in combination with a side tipping bed would be cool.

tim

You really like to modify old diffs don't you? :laugh:

When I built your Swingloader, I cut a diff and when I want build this beauty, I need to modify another diff :tongue:

It would be fun if you would provide instructions for a base model and then seperate instructions for all kinds of attachments. I think nobody has done that before and it would be really fun (imo) :classic:

It looks very good so far, as I would expect from you. Nice work! :thumbup:

That is certainly a nifty switching mechanism! I think the logging attachment in combination with a side tipping bed would be cool.

tim

Hmm, that might not be a bad idea! I am also thinking of a crane of Palfinger type (similar to the one on 8258), often seen on these kind of trucks behind the cab, maybe coupled with a cargo space behind it?

You really like to modify old diffs don't you? :laugh:

When I built your Swingloader, I cut a diff and when I want build this beauty, I need to modify another diff :tongue:

It would be fun if you would provide instructions for a base model and then seperate instructions for all kinds of attachments. I think nobody has done that before and it would be really fun (imo) :classic:

It looks very good so far, as I would expect from you. Nice work! :thumbup:

Thanks!

And regarding the diff; in the Swingloader it was more of a necessity, as there was some grinding of the 16 tooth gears toward the small LAs :blush:

This model on the other hand, works perfectly fine with an unmodified diff.. I just wanted to see how a 6WD truck like this performed when put to the test, that's why I modified the diff :laugh: And it performed very well actually, up until the u-joint broke, I had just one crack from a gear somewhere (probably one of the axle diffs) :grin:

And making the a "base model" with several possible attachments could work actually! That way I could release the chassis first, and then release more instructions as I make different attachments, showing what modifications need to be done to the chassis itself along with how to build the equipment :thumbup:

Nice work. i hope to make a MOC similar to this. you're a great inspiration with your 8x4 truck and the two 6x4 trucks :classic:

Nice work. i hope to make a MOC similar to this. you're a great inspiration with your 8x4 truck and the two 6x4 trucks :classic:

Thanks! Good to hear, I also follow your projects with great interest :wink::thumbup:

Progress has been slow over the last couple of weeks, with not much time to use on building, but I managed to come up with a solution for the gas tanks area that I am more or less satisfied with. The question I as myself is this: does it look better in white or grey?

Please take a look at the pictures below and help me decide :blush:

Combination LBG/DBG:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

White:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

@D3k it's looking awesome! I agree you should release instructions for the base model first then for the different beds/attachments. I for one would certainly be interested in the instructions for the chassis

Thanks, I agree, the colour combination is not very fortunate.. However, I did find an alternative solution as well:

640x360.jpg

Gives it a bit more speed without using the alternative gear setip I had though out, and it fits in by just adding a couple of bricks to where the XL's were attached. The L's are of course 3 studs wide, so I am thinking of closing off the entire area... maybe... Still haven't decided. :blush:

Anyway, it'll be about a week before I can continue on the physical model. Will work on the instructions in the mean time :sweet:

I have made some progress on the design, but more importantly maybe, I have designed a new, more compact more reliable switching mechanism for the hook lift bed, as can be seen in the video below:

640x360.jpg

The entire mechanism including bracing and motor is just 3 studs high (as you can see in the above picture). It uses the same principle as the one I showed last month with the pulley wheels, but in a far more reliable and clean fashion. Also, no need for rubber bands :classic:

In the video you can also just see the final design of the fuel tank area, and the new (functional) roof lights :wink:

EDIT:

Will make an .lxf or .ldr of the mechnism soon, for those who might be interested

Edited by D3K

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it! :blush: It works pretty much flawlessly, the small LA's internal clutch clicking/twitching helping to get the axles into place on those few occasions where they don't fall in line perfectly. Could maybe be improved with a strategically placed rubbe band? :classic:

Anyway, the chassis is a little tall to implement an effective and good looking hook lift design (due to suspension taking too much space), so I'll have to save this mechanism for a future MOC :blush:

Very nice D3k, when can we be expecting the instructions?

I'll make an LDD or MLcad model of the above mechanism today or tomorrow, and you can expect full instructions for the terrain truck (without anything on the back) before the end of the month. They are pretty much finished, just need to do some minor tweaking to the actual model to make it a bit more user friendly for future add-ons :wink:

Sounds great D3k, I hope to use the truck as a base for a tipper or maybe use your hook lift mechanism instead to go with my remote control excavator... Would the chassis be capable of taking a side tip dump bed?