Here is a idea for steering..... :wink:

Everything is inside the machine but I rebuild the steering system I used for the pics. I didn´t have any room and after try some configurations I got this, the real machine has 2 l.a. for steering so I wanted 2 but if you don´t want complicate your life use only one, it will work better than with 2. For your machine you need any room you can get.

Thank you both for the input. I am currently making somewhat of a cross between the two in LDD, but won't know if the geometry will work before I try it IRL in a couple of days! :sweet: If I have to do too much redesigning, I will probaby go with just one. Making the steering with LA's instead of the wormdrive directly on the turntable, actually frees up a lot of space up front! :blush:

Looking really good! I like the swing mechanism.

Thank you very much!

Edited by D3K

So I'm still working on my Swingloader, and this is what it looks like today (sorry for bad quality pic)

2012-11-23_14.51.51.jpg

I've pretty much redesigned the whole thing;

-Replaced to M-motors with L-motors (for manipulating the digger)

-Placed all 5 motors in the rear

-Relocated and redesigned the pivot on the steering two studs forward, to accomodate

-Steering, which is now via two small LA's (thanks to Jorgeopesi for tips on the geometry :wink: )

-Made the entire thing two studs wider

-Rebuilt the entire front to make it "cleaner" and stronger (now one stud longer)

-Lowered the front turntable by one stud

-Added pendular suspension to the rear axle

-Finally got the right tyres to go with my big rims!

Still have to:

-Make a better digger, with better geometry (megablocking Z-link)

-Maybe make a custom bucket, as the project is turning out bigger than anticipated.

-Build a new driver's cabin

-Make the whole thing more presentable

-Make better looking wheels (yellow stuff on the way)

But all the mechanical features are present and working, and for me that is the most important thing! :grin:

*snip*

Cool, I did this the other way around. took the 8421 lower unit and built the 8053 for the top> I also built Han's XL version and put a 8053 upper on it with a longer boom. Edited by Ricecracker
Reduced quote

2012-11-27_20.54.37.jpg

2012-11-27_20.55.07.jpg

Getting there.. the Z-link is almost working like I want it to, will make one last effort to improve it in the next couple of days.

Some aesthetic stuff to do, and then I will make a video of all the functions :wink:

Need to finish this soon, as it is taking up too much space! :blush:

Could you drop the cab down so that it's on top of the main chassis ,its to high at the moment.

I look forward to the video. :sweet:

Made a video, currently uploading to YouTube via my ridiculously slow connection.

However, something completely different to help me get a way way way better video this time:

2012-11-30_10.47.56mindre.jpg

Fits my phone nice and snuggly, the 4L axle with stop is just above the shutter button, and has a QD interface for the tripod, built using misc. 1/2 thick beams and stuff! Worked great, as you will see in the video shortly!

EDIT: And here is the video of the swingloader:

Edited by D3K

Made this the other day. Not a MOC, but rather just the 8258 built in black and DBG.. thought I'd show it here in case someone else was wondering what it might look like,,,

2012-12-16_20.29.06.jpg

2012-12-16_20.27.01.jpg

2012-12-16_20.27.30.jpg

Walked home from school the other day, and passed the container terminal by the railway station, and decided to try and build one of those telehandler/container stacker things they use there. Have built the boom, as well as a prototype container-gripper mechanism irl, and have been puzzling with the chassis in LDD for the last couple hours.

Have finally got my hands on several micromotors (6 of them, and at a ridiculously low price compared to bricklink), so will use at least one for rotating the head of the boom.

Got an idea for steering with servo motor + pf speed remote that I will try to build irl tomorrow.

Anyway; here's what I made in LDD, and will try to get a vid of the boom as it is now, up tomorrow (It is roughly similar to the one modeled (at least externally), but also features extending via a PF-L motor inside the housing. The gripping will be powered by a PF-M motor housed in the rear of the extending part. The turning is done by a micromotor)

stacker01.jpg

Looking at your cad drawing it seems to be a bit rushed,the boom needs to be lower that that shown in your picture.

I am looking forward to seeing the 'head' of it,It will be interesting to see how you use the micromotors.

Looking at your cad drawing it seems to be a bit rushed,

Very true, was done in a couple hours.

And then a couple of hours to build the model, figuring things out as I went along:

dsc_0063.jpg

Dimensions and critical components are identical to the LDD. Had to do some minor tweaks to the steering motor setup, as well as the Ackerman setup and the connection to the two big LAs..

I was gonna use racks and gears for the gripper, but then saw Sariel had already done that, so I tried something else. This gives it a lot less range, but a helluva lot more power. I know containers come in different lengths, but this stacker is made only for 25 +/- 1 stud long containers :wink:

Here is a cutaway of the boom, to show it's internals:

dsc_0064.jpg

When it's closed up, 1x11 beams between the top 3x11 curved panels keeps it nicely in place.

The wires curl up nicely as it retracts, and are just long enough for it to extend fully (like in the picture).

Other noteworthy things;

-Driven by XL-motor by PF Speed Remote

-Steering by one PF-M motor.

-Raising boom by one XL motor

-Extending boom by one PF-L motor

-Gripping by one PF-M motor

-Rotating the head by one micromotor

-AAA battery box underneath, that can easily be pulled out

With the swing loader you can drop your dirt on top of you :snicker:

He might of wanted to add a slew limiter,but forgot.... :laugh:

It's not that I forgot, I was just surprised it would go all the way around! :sweet:

You never know when you're digging away, and all of a sudden you do something embarassing and just want to bury yourself underneath a heap of earth.. with this feature; THAT'S A POSSIBILITY!! :laugh::thumbup:

Anyways, new project:

Teaser of what's to come withing the next couple of hours:

dsc_0071.jpg

As I wait for parts for my MB 290 G project (you might have seen it in efferman's Unofficial Bodybuilding topic), I have spent a couple of hours working in LDD on a new thing. :classic:

excavator.jpg

The turntable is a dead giveaway.. yes, it's going to be an excavator :sweet: And yes, it's going to be motorized.

The plan is to have one batt box and four motors in both the chassis for drive, steer, blade and rear outriggers. And then a separated system of PF elements in the superstructure for the usual excavating stuff.

While designing this, I made an ackerman steering solution, that allows the wheels to pivot inside the rims! :classic: It wa pretty simple, so it has probably been done before, but I can't remember having seen it anywhere,,

Picture:

ackerman.jpg

Like most of my mocs, it's not based on any particular real life machine, at least nor yet.. But maybe I will? Would be a nice challenge;) saw a really special one online some time ago, but couldn't find it when I googled for it earlier today...:-(

No, it wasn't in Lego, real life.. I will find a picture, and you will immediately know what I meant by it being "really special":-D

Have several projects going at once now, amongst others this one:

Opted for a design without suspension, to make it simple and fast.

Some fine tuning to do, and then build a body for it, maybe a better version of my last (failed) attempt at a "car":

dsc_0027.jpg

Two XL motors, each with a 36 tooth gear, going onto a single axle with a 12 tooth gear. this axle has a 20 tooth gear that goes onto the 28 tooth differential:-)

Edited by D3K