WOW, that is a beautiful "love child" 8421+8053 hybrid mobile crane! :thumbup: Do you plan on making a video of it in action?

Sorry man, I made it yesterday, and it's already mostly disassembled as I needed parts for my next project (Remote controlled, 4WD, 4WS terrain vehicle, with 4 speeds (both forwards and backwards) and double wishbone suspension on all wheels!)

Also, I have to say; the extending of the boom is extreeeeemely slow!! Quite possibly because of the very low speed of the XL-motor compared to the buggymotor, and I did not take the time to make some simple mods to fix this..

However, the superstructure is still mostly intact, I'll se what I can salvage and modify, and try to make a short video! :wink:

WIP:

2012-11-03_12.27.57.jpg

Features:

-4 wheel drive, via two PF-XL motors

-4 speeds forward, 4 speeds reverse, remote controlled

-4 wheel steering with ackerman geometry (also, front wheels steer more than rear wheel, a la 8880), via PF SERVO

-Independent double wishbone suspension on all wheels

2012-11-03_12.28.48.jpg

2012-11-03_12.28.37.jpg

2012-11-03_12.29.13.jpg

Will make a short demo video later

Good work on the crane love child. I like the look of the larger boom. I haven't built my 8053 yet but I'd try the MOD when I do.

Good work, but there are some weakpoints: you should try to place xl motors more lower and then you can place bb more down, then its more stabilize. Also the cv-joints connection between differential and protal axle is probably weak. Good luck with building!

Some progress shots:

2012-11-05_20.22.12.jpg

2012-11-05_20.20.20.jpg

Did some reinforcing of the suspension system, and also simplified it a little.

2012-11-05_20.20.07.jpg

Everything is working like I intended, but I see the weight is starting to become a little excessive.

It is extremely sturdy though, no problem dropping it from half a metre.

But anyhow, I might strip it down a little, make a short video to show the concept for the four speed drive system, and then dismantle it and try something new..

When I started this, I only planned to make the drive system, but then I wanted four wheel steering, and then I wanted double wishbone suspension, and then I wanted a V8 in it, and so on and so forth...

I really gotta learn to stick to the original plan! :blush:

So I finally made a video!

I want to apologize beforehand, as I've never used Windows Live Movie Maker before, so text and descriptions are a little all over the place.

Also, I want to apologize for the below-average quality of the video, as I only have my phone (which starts to get old) to record with, and it's not very easy to record and control the vehicle at the same time.

I also made a model in LDD of the drive system, if anyone wants to recreate it.

4speed.jpg

4speed2.jpg

4speed3.jpg

4speed4.jpg

The system works quite well, except when you hit a somewhat large obstacle. If it's running on only one motor, the other one will start to get back-driven (or whatever it's called). This can probably be negated by making a ratcheting mechanism on one of the motors (like the ones you see on many Technic winches), at the expense of all but one reverse speed.

I could finally dismantle the previous project, to start the next one!

This is the first time I have/will design a whole model in LDD before building it!

It is a loader, with (quite literally) a twist!

Still a work in progress.

loader1.jpg

loader2.jpg

Made some more progress since the last screencaps:

loader3.jpg

Will hopefully start the real life build later today! :classic:

EDIT:

And I know those wheels don't come in yellow

Edited by D3K

I look forward to this moc being finished. :sweet:

swing-loader-59042-2743713.jpg

If you have four of the large yellow tread sprockets you could use them as wheel hubs like I did (that's if you want yellow ones). :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Nice, my komatsu has inverted portal axles too :laugh: .

I just made some for my loader....... :grin:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

If you have four of the large yellow tread sprockets you could use them as wheel hubs like I did (that's if you want yellow ones). :classic:

I know, and I don't... I have the black ones, so will try to use it with some yellow half-bushes or something... We'll see what looks ok until I get a hold of the yellow sprockets. Also, I only have the black rims, so it might get a little.. well...black! :sweet:

Nice, my komatsu has inverted portal axles too :laugh: .

I just made some for my loader....... :grin:

Well, then inverted portal axles are definately the way to go! :laugh:

As for the rest of the build, the challenge will be to make a fairly big shovel assembly (including three big LAs) fit nicely and balanced on top of the turntable, while still making it look presentable. I will move it further up front, and at least two studs down.. But seeing the limitations of LDD, the actual front loader assy willhave to be made in real time I think! :sweet:

Still, I find LDD to be a brilliant tool once one gets the hang of it!! :classic:

But seeing the limitations of LDD, the actual front loader assembly will have to be made in real time I think! :sweet:

If it is the sizes of the La's that is the problem then you can download the La's in different lengths Here.

The build has begun!

Had to do some minor mods compared to the LDD model, mainly shortening of the rear, the turning mechanism (I planned to use mini LAs, but couldn't find the room), and using the two lower axles for the future bucket/arm mechanisms.

2012-11-14_15.05.46.jpg

But the drive and the steering work really well already!

2012-11-14_15.06.09.jpg

As I haven't received the Unimog tyres yet, I went with these as a temporary solution, providing a whopping 1/2 stud of ground clearance!! :grin:

What remain is obviously the loading apparatus, but I'm short one turntable, which should arrive tomorrow. Also, I will have to design a driver's cabin of sorts.

Since this loader is not based on any particular real life loader, I can pretty much decide the scale as I progress! :classic:

Lastly I need to implement one more motor and an IR receiver in the front, for swinging the shovel.

Here is a rear shot (I'm quite satisfied with the look, being my first and everything :wink:

2012-11-14_15.06.21.jpg

I have to be honest and say I don't like it. :sceptic:

The bodywork is poor,especially the back grill.

I am also not a fan of the steering design and the length of the back part of the loader.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I have to be honest and say I don't like it. :sceptic:

The body work it poor,especially the back grill.

I am also not a fan of the steering design and the length of the back part of the loader.

Thanks for the feedback! :classic:

I agree, the grille looks hideous! Will probably replace it when I get more to the styling of the vehicle. The rest of the rear I am happy with though, there will be some more panels, but I had to remove them due to the temporary ballon tires, which are wider than the final ones,

By the way, when you say the length, do you feel it's to long or too short?

Also, keep in mind; I have absolutely no ambition of making as realistic looking a vehicle as for example the ones you and JorgeOpesi make, as I simply have close to zero system bricks! :laugh:

So there will definately be some black spots here and there :blush: What I truly enjoy are the technical/mechanical bits!

I have done a lot more work to the front this afternoon, and it is now absolutely packed with gears and stuff! Hopefully the turntable will arrive tomorrow, and I will have some pictures for you!

Still no turntable (yet, Norwegian Postal Service is ridiculously slow), but have gotten some more work done:

2012-11-15_12.02.05.jpg

Replaced the big batterybox with a smaller AAA box, found a place to put the motor for turning the equipment, made a ladder and a railing, and also made a makeshift driver's cabin. Notice how the wiring for the lights up top doubles as a seatbelt for the driver! :laugh::grin:

2012-11-15_12.03.31.jpg

It might look a bit tall, but the digging apparatus will be a lot bigger than usual loaders, so the driver needs to be a bit high

2012-11-15_12.04.11.jpg

A picture of the drivetrain. As you can see, it's pretty much identical to the LDD model I made! :wink:

Luckily, most of the sides will be covered by the huge wheels, once I get them! :wink:

Anyways; the state of things:

2012-11-15_18.45.05.jpg

2012-11-15_18.45.55.jpg

2012-11-15_18.46.15.jpg

Swing mechanism works great, can even to a full 360, which I wasn't actually planning! :grin: Of course, only when elevated..

The loading arm and turntable needs some reinforcing, and relocation of the main LAs to get some more moment for the initial lift.

Will also do some aestethic upgrades to the entire thing (the fugly grille is still there :laugh:

The Z-link is a reeeal pain to get right... anyone got any smart tips in that area?

The Z-link is a reeeal pain to get right... anyone got any smart tips in that area?

Does it need more dump or tilt?

Does it need more dump or tilt?

To make one or the other is not really a problem, but both, and at the same time keeping it level for the entire travel of the main LAs, that's something different. I had the same problem when I made a small pneumatic loader earlier this year

2012-10-09_10.51.15.jpg

Finally I gave up, but it worked OK I guess, just not perfect. :sweet:

Try using 1/2 off set connectors,to off set the connection:

32291.jpg?041678.gif32557.jpg?098989.jpg?1

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Could you please be a little more vague?

I can assure you, the problem is not simply a half stud offset..;-)

However, I think I Found a solution that wont need a megablocking z-link at all! Yay!:-D

Do you have a link for higher resolution pictures? I am doing some redesigning of my swingloader (mainly trying to implement steering via mini LA's), and am looking for some inspiration! :wink:

Here is a idea for steering..... :wink:

MiniLa2.png

Edited by Alasdair Ryan