Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

The Forest II

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, Shadows delivered iamded and led the lynch on him but wasn't it at all suspicious that he was so sure that iamded was Scum? Almost every post he made about iamded was from the perspective that he knew iamded was Scum, because he did know, because he was Scum himself.

Well, frankly it was either him or iamded as far as I could see it. We needed a strong candidate to lynch, and Sandy's claim gave us exactly that. Fortunately, the town at that point, aside from Rufus, who was being way too smart, had a very short attention-span and ignored Rufus's obvious night-action claim despite his rather obvious townie-ness. If we didn't all fix strongly on iamded, then we would have had to battle against Rufus, his accurate results, and his ethos. We might have been able to and save iamded, but it would have been grueling. Ironically, if we had, we might have won. (we still would have had to deal with Draggy, who would likely have turned on us that night and surprise killed one of us, later claiming he was buss-driven... or something... Scratch that. We were still screwed. :hmpf_bad::laugh: ) His "dedication to ridding us of that pesky scum" could easily have been explained as resulting from Sandy's not-so-true-totally-made-up-yet-somehow-accurate claim.

~Furry, Insectoid Aristocrat

And what did Shadows say after saying he didn't have a Night Action, but Rufus turning up as a Townie proved he was telling the truth. Did he say someone was lying to Rufus? :hmpf:

One thing that I don't like is that we were able to convert the serial killer (which I feel this did not balance, but rather overpowered the puppet role). I don't know why the sk was given to us as convertible. I feel that "convertible" should really have been unreadable or something different than the normal townie convertible, something a little more tangible. Things could have gone differently, but in this set up, it just compromised us so much. In the deadboard, I had to restrain myself from saying that we converted the SK, because people were still guessing that the SK could still go with the town. I was dead certain that the SK could not deviate from his scum team and it would mean we all won together, and it's this shattered expectation that hurts the most. The biggest point I can make here is that I've never ever seen anything like a betraying SK, (I've never even experienced a usurper) so it was very, very difficult for me to just try and spot something like that, whereas Hinck and Foog knew what these clues alluded to. This is my justification for my incapability in finding truth in the clues. In the end I can't deny the mechanics and the possibilities and can accept what happened, but I'm still left with this feeling of unfairness (however false that is).

Concerning the puppet role, I really like the concept. For the most part, it worked in the field. I found myself annoyed when I learned that the puppet was alerted that he killed somebody (this was after I died). Halfway through the game, the town knew correctly what exactly was going on. It seems so obvious of a role now. The only benefit ended that I wouldn't be directly responsible for the kill, in the exception of suicides (WHICH, btw, I don't understand why, when Shadows inherited the role, he mostly had his puppets commit suicide. It'd have been much safer to have somebody else target your intended and I'm proven right when Rufus tracked Shadows targeting Rufus. I think that was a mistake which should have been avoided). The puppet-killer role, I feel, is very easy to breakdown and it wouldn't be difficult to figure out who did the killing in the end. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, between the day intros and what the puppets were told, the puppet role was too obvious and I'd have liked it to be a little harder to figure out. I feel I didn't get to use the role to its potential and I'm disappointed with having never used the puppet-victim combo successfully. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it and it's a good twist to the usual kill, despite it's weak security. Was this a a concept that you made up?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, it's probably wrong and I'm not seeing things right, but that's just what I'm thinking so far. It's hard for me to properly gauge my reaction to this because I died having been relatively active in the scum team, but everything after that didn't involve me, so I couldn't really be in the thought process of analyzing why things were happening. I could've spotted it, but who knows.

Scouty, It was a pleasure serving with you too! I love that even death didn't stop you from laughing at my portal jokes and commenting on events. It was like you only 3/4ths left us. (half, in that you weren't in the day thread, and another half in your quantity of posts and their relevance to strategy)

Likewise. It was great being evil and conniving with you, as well :classic: . I had fun with this scum team, though I wish we discussed strategy a little more than we did, especially in the beginning where there wasn't all that much being said on our evilboard. Still, I enjoyed being in the company of such fine mafiosos and what we did do was great. It's a shame all of that was compromised so much by our failure to notice Draggy's true "affiliation". I was taken halfway through the game, so it never even occurred to me about Draggy and I didn't look into it much after I died. Even after I died, I was still evil and I couldn't help myself comment (non-influential stuff, btw) on the evilboard and also in my attempts to deceive the dead townies. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the dead could participate in the puzzles and give their team an action. Unfortunately I never got a chance to properly answer one and help you guys out that way :sceptic:

Even if I don't fully comprehend the "why" of everything, I'm going to just :classic: and resolve that I had a fun experience (with some bumps along the way).

EDIT: I guess a good way to put it is that I'm just trying to find some closure :grin:

Shadows hosted Galactic Paranoia and the Double Agent won...

Oh, yeah, and here I had just gone through the Mafia Archives not 6 hours ago to check if any other third parties won a solo victory. :blush:

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, Shadows delivered iamded and led the lynch on him but wasn't it at all suspicious that he was so sure that iamded was Scum? Almost every post he made about iamded was from the perspective that he knew iamded was Scum, because he did know, because he was Scum himself.

That is why the third rule in the personal strategy guide I'm putting together for when I finally have time to actually play EB Mafia is "Don't EVER trust Shadows." (the first and second rules are "Don't tell anyone about EB Mafia, especially my wife." :wink: )

One thing that I don't like is that we were able to convert the serial killer (which I feel this did not balance, but rather overpowered the puppet role). I don't know why the sk was given to us as convertible. I feel that "convertible" should really have been unreadable or something different than the normal townie convertible, something a little more tangible. Things could have gone differently, but in this set up, it just compromised us so much. In the deadboard, I had to restrain myself from saying that we converted the SK, because people were still guessing that the SK could still go with the town. I was dead certain that the SK could not deviate from his scum team and it would mean we all won together, and it's this shattered expectation that hurts the most. The biggest point I can make here is that I've never ever seen anything like a betraying SK, (I've never even experienced a usurper) so it was very, very difficult for me to just try and spot something like that, whereas Hinck and Foog knew what these clues alluded to. This is my justification for my incapability in finding truth in the clues. In the end I can't deny the mechanics and the possibilities and can accept what happened, but I'm still left with this feeling of unfairness (however false that is).

Exactly! :wub: It's like you stuck a straw in my brain, sucked on it, and then spilled the pink-grey gooey contents onto a recycled-paper, smeared-with-fry-grease napkin on a wooden table in a crowded diner. Beautifully worded! One would have had to be excessively paranoid to have picked up on all the hints we were given, and with Shadows being as magical as he was, I was lulled into a sense of medium-level security. Curse you Shadows! You rock so much it's bad! :sing:

Concerning the puppet role, I really like the concept. For the most part, it worked in the field. I found myself annoyed when I learned that the puppet was alerted that he killed somebody (this was after I died). Halfway through the game, the town knew correctly what exactly was going on. It seems so obvious of a role now. The only benefit ended that I wouldn't be directly responsible for the kill, in the exception of suicides (WHICH, btw, I don't understand why, when Shadows inherited the role, he mostly had his puppets commit suicide. It'd have been much safer to have somebody else target your intended and I'm proven right when Rufus tracked Shadows targeting Rufus. I think that was a mistake which should have been avoided). The puppet-killer role, I feel, is very easy to breakdown and it wouldn't be difficult to figure out who did the killing in the end. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, between the day intros and what the puppets were told, the puppet role was too obvious and I'd have liked it to be a little harder to figure out. I feel I didn't get to use the role to its potential and I'm disappointed with having never used the puppet-victim combo successfully. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it and it's a good twist to the usual kill, despite it's weak security. Was this a a concept that you made up?

Again, I agree! It's like you Klingon mind melded me! (If I'm using that wrong, it's because I've only ever watched Star-Trek in passing. Sorry Bob.) It was a good concept, and maybe what would have balanced out its many possible failures (by means of going through surrogate middle-men) would be if those who were used as "puppets" were not told of their success or failure. Conversely, we could have targeted ourselves and used that in our own defenses, but then there's the obvious WIFOM that pours from that...

That is why the third rule in the personal strategy guide I'm putting together for when I finally have time to actually play EB Mafia is "Don't EVER trust Shadows." (the first and second rules are "Don't tell anyone about EB Mafia, especially my wife." :wink: )

Really? It's funny you mention that because my new "rule #1" is "ALWAYS trust Shadows." I wonder why yours is so different... :look:

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Really? It's funny you mention that because my new "rule #1" is "ALWAYS trust Shadows." I wonder why yours is so different... :look:

Mine rule #1 is "never put on a fake accent". :look:

This.... game of life... just simply gave me the most humiliating nightmare... My first time ever, to wield a vigilante role and this is definitely my worst in-game performance ever... being manipulated by Shadows for the bloody second time... grrrrrrr.... I hate myself for letting my gut-feel get into me...

In the private PM scene, I had only came into contact with CorneliusMurdock in Day 1 and he is my only ally and in my megablocking PM, I had even MENTIONED to him, that Shadows is a silver sly fox and don't believe what he said, as he can be either a powerhouse scumbag or leading townie. I knew CorneliusMurdock's role and he is the only person knew mine role until he is killed... :cry_sad:

From then on, I had to follow and continue the leads, namely from Rufus and Shadows... It is not decided by the flip of the coin and both of them who I interacted with, was very caution... I must admit and applaud for Shadows deception that how much info was crafted and put into many pages worth of PMs to obtain my trust to cast my doubts and more importantly, he was claiming that he was a vanilla townie... if only I could prove he had a night action... Cecilie's conviction lead by Rufus was one of the point that start to make me doubtful of Rufus (where actual fact he is the real vanilla) but I am sure it could be a genuine town mistake. However, at that stage, we had lost lots of townies... and matters get worse, when I choose wrong innocent townies for my trap kill.

I just can't go on... Then it became apparently desparate... Zepher and I board the PM ship... and now we are becoming more transparent... and the trio which is moi, Shadows and Zepher got into an unholy alliance! And, crap, this entire mess just gotten worse and worse...

I don't want to go on writing... I will answer some of the questions later.. when I am much composed, and Hinck and Jimbee, I made you guys disappointed in me...

Sorry Town...

Aww WhiteFang :cry_sad:

It's just too bad you let Shadows lead your kills. You did great the first night when you weren't taking his lead yet!

:sceptic: I couldn't imagine why that would be..... :tongue:

:wall:

You're fired! Collect your things and get out of my office.

Vulcan

:laugh: Klingon mind meld, indeed! I wouldn't be surprised if it was title-worthy.

I agree. Either that or I should've given you "Vanilla" on Flitwick. It seems like all the head-scratching moments were chalked up to me doing something wrong instead of you looking into things further. If I was to do this again, I'd make the result at least slightly different like you suggested or just not answer to the badgering. Leave the answers ambiguous. I won't pretend I hosted this twist perfectly, but I'm happy to hear you guys admit you relaxed down to medium-security. Like Foog, I thought you would never trust Draggy because of how his conversion went with the argument. So, there's lessons for all. I understand you feel it was unfair and I appreciate the way you're expressing it. While I think the response to Draggy's conversion threw me for a loop, Foog will back me up in that it had a definite plan and was very well thought out. You can't plan for everything and the reaction I got from Shadows surprised me and complicated it. I know and have admitted to him I didn't handle his reaction very well and I felt I owed it to Dragonator to keep his win condition possible. I really should've just kept telling Shadows "no". And in the future that is what I would do. I really did unload on him when he kept pushing me and I shouldn't have taken it that seriously. I really felt there was still enough question for it to at least cross someone's mind again. It felt like you guys got too comfortable with your multiple killing abilities and didn't think about any other possible complication. That's the hard part for me to watch is how excited you guys were to win. :cry_sad: I'm not sure if I copied those notes into the conclusion, but I talked with Foog about it and sticking with the original game mechanics was the best thing to do. I really was rooting for you guys. I kept expecting to get a Night Action for Fangy that was "use my spaghetti to kill Dragonator".

I did! :grin: I'm glad you liked it. I loved it! I was sad it took so long to see it work. It was used so brilliantly to kill Ernie, make JimB and babdoy look like lovers. I agree that I would've like to have seen the Action used more creatively than suicides. By the way, the pictures could've shown a lot more. I'll get into what I took out of my pictures and day openers and closers to protect all sides and not give too much away. However, I think Shadows was smart to use it for suicides because using someone to kill someone else makes for a lot of factors to keep control of. Also, since the Town believed the way it worked, using a puppet almost verified them. But, Danny's right, you guys could've puppeted one of your own... I would use this again, but not until it's been forgotten about...like the meat shield.

Even if I don't fully comprehend the "why" of everything, I'm going to just :classic: and resolve that I had a fun experience (with some bumps along the way).

EDIT: I guess a good way to put it is that I'm just trying to find some closure :grin:

Feel free to say whatever you need to. :thumbup:

*snip*

Awww. :cry_sad:

I'm really sorry you were used so much. Don't take it too hard. Shadows is a master manipulator! I wouldn't be surprised if he was a politician in real life (well actually, I would, because he spends so much time on Eurobricks, but...) We've all been there! I was a massive tool to Tammo in Jedi Mafia Temple! Please don't quit Mafia!

:sceptic: I couldn't imagine why that would be..... :tongue:

:look:

:laugh: Klingon mind meld, indeed! I wouldn't be surprised if it was title-worthy.

I certainly hope not. :blush: The Sci-fi forum would eat me alive. :laugh: The Klingons are the cyborgs that make others join the collective with plungers saying exterminate! right?

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Awww. :cry_sad:

I'm really sorry you were used so much. Don't take it too hard. Shadows is a master manipulator! I wouldn't be surprised if he was a politician in real life (well actually, I would, because he spends so much time on Eurobricks, but...) We've all been there! I was a massive tool to Tammo in Jedi Mafia Temple! Please don't quit Mafia!

I agree. We all screw up terribly at some point or another. Nothing to do but redeem yourself in another game. :thumbup:

I agree. Either that or I should've given you "Vanilla" on Flitwick. It seems like all the head-scratching moments were chalked up to me doing something wrong instead of you looking into things further.

Not to say we weren't wrong, but we had less control about making wrong decisions.

If I was to do this again, I'd make the result at least slightly different like you suggested or just not answer to the badgering. Leave the answers ambiguous. I won't pretend I hosted this twist perfectly, but I'm happy to hear you guys admit you relaxed down to medium-security. Like Foog, I thought you would never trust Draggy because of how his conversion went with the argument. So, there's lessons for all. I understand you feel it was unfair and I appreciate the way you're expressing it. While I think the response to Draggy's conversion threw me for a loop, Foog will back me up in that it had a definite plan and was very well thought out. You can't plan for everything and the reaction I got from Shadows surprised me and complicated it. I know and have admitted to him I didn't handle his reaction very well and I felt I owed it to Dragonator to keep his win condition possible. I really should've just kept telling Shadows "no". And in the future that is what I would do. I really did unload on him when he kept pushing me and I shouldn't have taken it that seriously. I really felt there was still enough question for it to at least cross someone's mind again. It felt like you guys got too comfortable with your multiple killing abilities and didn't think about any other possible complication. That's the hard part for me to watch is how excited you guys were to win. :cry_sad: I'm not sure if I copied those notes into the conclusion, but I talked with Foog about it and sticking with the original game mechanics was the best thing to do. I really was rooting for you guys. I kept expecting to get a Night Action for Fangy that was "use my spaghetti to kill Dragonator".

I agree with all of this. Definitely lessons for the future.

I re-read the serial killer's role and I don't know why you have that if it's draggy and three other people, he automatically wins :wacko: That seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? To me, I'd like to have seen Draggy and Shadows alone on Day 8. It'd be interesting how they'd have to be super careful not to get penalties. In this situation, Shadows would win, right? I think you said somewhere that the last scum alive gets both the kill and block action, so that could've resulted in Shadows winning. It's possible under that situation, Draggy would've had to work harder to to make sure he's the last one stuck with a townie and not a scum. I think that would have been a fairer way to end things, but I'm just too hopeful :grin: .

I did! :grin: I'm glad you liked it. I loved it! I was sad it took so long to see it work. It was used so brilliantly to kill Ernie, make JimB and babdoy look like lovers. I agree that I would've like to have seen the Action used more creatively than suicides. By the way, the pictures could've shown a lot more. I'll get into what I took out of my pictures and day openers and closers to protect all sides and not give too much away. However, I think Shadows was smart to use it for suicides because using someone to kill someone else makes for a lot of factors to keep control of. Also, since the Town believed the way it worked, using a puppet almost verified them. But, Danny's right, you guys could've puppeted one of your own... I would use this again, but not until it's been forgotten about...like the meat shield.

I look forward to seeing what could have been. It's true that by using suicides, there's less chances of the kill going wrong, but I think that in the end there weren't many roles left to make things go wrong.

Feel free to say whatever you need to. :thumbup:

Nyaaaar har har. Mwahahahahahahahaha! Oogity-boogity! Blagh blah! Psych psych psych!

Careful what you say :grin:

I re-read the serial killer's role and I don't know why you have that if it's draggy and three other people, he automatically wins :wacko: That seems a bit extreme,

It's standard. I did it for Shadows in Baritones 2 when it was down to him and 2 Townies. That's the precedent as far as I've understood it. Then again, it was explained to me by Shadows during a game concerning his win condition, so... maybe I should re-evaluate some of the things I consider standard. :laugh:

Concerning my new title, I know how I spelled it. It's a line from The Simpsons... :blush: I swear.

It's standard. I did it for Shadows in Baritones 2 when it was down to him and 2 Townies. That's the precedent as far as I've understood it. Then again, it was explained to me by Shadows during a game concerning his win condition, so... maybe I should re-evaluate some of the things I consider standard. :laugh:

I find that odd. In his win condition, it says he has to kill all other players, but in the end he gets a magical extra kill. That's contradicting (taking it in a very literal sense). I just find the last kill to be totally unmotivated outside of the "with the last three players" rule (which I personally am rejecting because of how weird it seems to me).

You know what, Mafia is stupid, why do I play these games??? :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, right, for the emotional rollercoasters :cry_sad::cry3::cry_happy: :cry_happy: :laugh::hmpf::devil::sing::angry::wub:

Oh, right, for the emotional rollercoasters :cry_sad::cry3::cry_happy: :cry_happy: :laugh::hmpf::devil::sing::angry::wub:

So true! It's not a game, it's a drug and I'm addicted.

Yeah it was just a random kill sorry Bob, I went for someone nobody had really discussed and who hadn't attempted to push votes against anyone on day one.

:cry_sad: It's okay. I'm rather fortunate to have died. If I didn't I'm sure I would have brought the game down negatively due to a lack of participation on my part.

From what I remember, Zepher just entered his freshman year too. I'm impressed he was able to handle both this game and college, because I wouldn't have. Now that everything is settled down I should be set and ready.

Again, I agree! It's like you Klingon mind melded me! (If I'm using that wrong, it's because I've only ever watched Star-Trek in passing. Sorry Bob.)

Even when I wasn't a Star Trek fan I knew it was the Vulcan Mind Meld. Everyone knows that silly!

You're fired! Collect your things and get out of my office.

Vulcan

Your office? I thought this was my office. :wacko:

Edited by Bob

...Now to sign up for Mafia School...

Why haven't I seen your signup yet? :look:

:laugh:

Concerning my new title, I know how I spelled it. It's a line from The Simpsons... :blush: I swear.

You did put that in the conclusion intentionally, right? :look:

Why haven't I seen your signup yet? :look:

:laugh:

You did put that in the conclusion intentionally, right? :look:

Isn't that what I just said? It's actually "The ironing is delicious" during the Funzo episode where a toy company's marketing team takes over Springfield Elementary.

From what I remember, Zepher just entered his freshman year too. I'm impressed he was able to handle both this game and college, because I wouldn't have. Now that everything is settled down I should be set and ready.

I also hosted a Heroica Quest, and participated in one as well. Woohoo!!

It's easy, you just don't sleep.

I also hosted a Heroica Quest, and participated in one as well. Woohoo!!

It's easy, you just don't sleep.

It's what I do. :wink:

As I said, I have nothing more to say about the previous game, but I will clear this up before we end up believing another ... bit of misinformation.

I re-read the serial killer's role and I don't know why you have that if it's draggy and three other people, he automatically wins :wacko: That seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?

Except that's not even how Baritones 2 ended. :hmpf:

Let's review the truth, now.

Baritones 2, day 10. The day ends with 3 town and me. You ask for night actions and we submit them. The three townies include their vig (Quarryman) and I am a killer as well. I arrange for their vig to kill my fiance and I'm killing the third, the town investigator.

End result: 2 dead townies, 1 vig and me. 1 vs 1 tie goes to the scum, not according to me but according to standard rules everywhere that mafia is played. It was not an automatic 1 vs 3 win (why the hell would that ever happen?), we submitted the actions that took it to 1 vs 1 and then the game concluded naturally.

Do you really think the town would have stood for that kind of nonsense? Not a chance. No, instead, Quarry said this:

Guess there's only one thing to say: congratulations Shadows, you had me completely duped. :classic:

I don't know what game you think you're talking about, but please don't try to blame me for something I never did, never would have suggested, and never saw happen in any game. Lot of that going around lately, huh? :pir_kiss:

Sign in to follow this