Bob De Quatre

[LDD MOC] Magdeon, the mighty frigate

The Magdeon frigate was the first battleship build with large plasma beam emitter as main weapon. The plasma is build up by a large generator and accumulated before being released by the two emitter. Excess static electricity is evacuated through two discharger betwee the generator and the engines.

Some caracteristics:

- 4 engines providing power to 80 thrusters

- 1 hyperdrive engine

- 2 plasma beam emitter

- 4 double heavy canons

- 8 laser turrets

magdeon.png

magdeon2.png

magdeon6.png

magdeon7.png

magdeon8.png

magdeon10.png

magdeon3.png

magdeon4.png

magdeon5.png

The static discharger in action :sweet:

magdeon9.png

That baby was built to try some curves and shapes techniques, some I already used in other MOCs.

So no interiors, and no tiled bathroom :sweet:

Hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Bob De Quatre

You say "Hope you enjoyed it" ??? Obviously I enjoy this giant and awesome ship, you have made one of your best work so far. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is a frigate, right?? I have a question: how many times a cruiser will be larger than that frigate???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The curves and shapes are perfect :classic: :classic:

Edited by Wedge09

You say "Hope you enjoyed it" ??? Obviously I enjoy this giant and awesome ship, you have made one of your best work so far. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is a frigate, right?? I have a question: how many times a cruiser will be larger than that frigate???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The curves and shapes are perfect :classic: :classic:

You want me to build a cruiser with the same scale? :sweet:

I don't know if LDD can handle it ;)

You continue to surprise me with your models Bob De Quatre, you truly have a unique talent for creative designs! There are so many odd angles and curves in this creation, and still it comes together beautifully. :sweet:

I particularly like the large curved wing/arm-like structures, i take it those are the plasma beam emitters? And i also find the huge circular structure with the domed sides towards the midsection of the ship very impressive looking. I'm quite fond of how you designed the various guns as well, there is some great detailing there.

The way the engine rings are constructed is very nice and creative, but i hate to admit i find them a bit underwhelming. Personally i would have preferred to see bigger and more powerful looking engines that are more to scale with the size of the ship.

Thanks for your comments :blush:

You continue to surprise me with your models Bob De Quatre, you truly have a unique talent for creative designs! There are so many odd angles and curves in this creation, and still it comes together beautifully. :sweet:

I particularly like the large curved wing/arm-like structures, i take it those are the plasma beam emitters? And i also find the huge circular structure with the domed sides towards the midsection of the ship very impressive looking. I'm quite fond of how you designed the various guns as well, there is some great detailing there.

The way the engine rings are constructed is very nice and creative, but i hate to admit i find them a bit underwhelming. Personally i would have preferred to see bigger and more powerful looking engines that are more to scale with the size of the ship.

Yes the arm-like structures are the plasma beam emitter. I wanted to make a technical sheet with info on all the parts of the ship... but got lazy :hmpf:

I decided to have a lot of smaller engines rather than a big one and I think it's pretty good that way and carries a unique feeling. But I understand, and the ship I'm working on at the moment has bigger engines :wink: (in fact it's engine section is almost as big as that entire frigate...)

Edit: Here is a screenshot of the engines of the Astradea currently under construction in my shipyard

astradea.png

Edited by Bob De Quatre

This is one massively beautiful beast! Love all the shapes and curves :thumbup:

Thank you.

The project I'm currently working on made me rethink the term "massive" :hmpf:

I just wanted to share a WIP comparison picture of the Astradea with the Magdeon...

astradea2.png

I blackened the Astradea so that its characteristics are not revealed :sweet:

And obviously the Magdeon is oriented at 90°... didn't see that before :hmpf:

The ship is 30% finished I think, and stand at 8300 bricks...

Edited by Bob De Quatre

Wow! This is really a mighty frigate. :thumbup:

I really like the round shapes and the frigate looks great from every angle. The top, front, side, back... Every angle contributes with something special. Great work, would love to see it built...

I generally think of LDD creations as "below" IRL MOCs

Why? Are fully-CG movies somehow "below" live-action movies? Millions of PIXAR fans would beg to differ. Presuming digital creations are "below" real-brick creations simply because they're digital is prejudice. You didn't qualify your assertion above with any actual reasons, so that's all it is. Any creation, digital or otherwise, should be judged on its own merits or faults - and every creation has both.

Did I forget it, or did you never post the Astradea?

I never finished it, and I think I'll never will... And my laptop can't open the lxf file anymore due to the number of bricks :grin:

Edit: Managed to open the LDD file, so I took a screenshot just for you :wink:

8678952882_f0afb53c82_z.jpg

astradea par BobDeQuatre, sur Flickr

Why? Are fully-CG movies somehow "below" live-action movies? Millions of PIXAR fans would beg to differ. Presuming digital creations are "below" real-brick creations simply because they're digital is prejudice. You didn't qualify your assertion above with any actual reasons, so that's all it is. Any creation, digital or otherwise, should be judged on its own merits or faults - and every creation has both.

You must agree that it's easier to build in LDD than in real bricks. You don't have to struggle with little things like friction or gravity :wink:

If I had the bricks, I'll never use LDD again...

Edited by Bob De Quatre

^ Woah! That's huge!

You must agree that it's easier to build in LDD than in real bricks. You don't have to struggle with little things like friction or gravity :wink:

If I had the bricks, I'll never use LDD again...

I will agree that it's easier to build in LDD if you don't take into account variables like color/part availability, friction, gravity or structural integrity. That said, I'd go so far as to say that if you do take those things into account, it is more difficult due to the lack of real-world effects as feedback. You have to anticipate these effects (particularly if you then plan on building it after it's designed).

Yes, it's easy to cheat in the digital realm, but people can tell you're cheating, even if on a subconscious level. Going back to my PIXAR example, people won't generally notice the incredible amount of detail put into certain things (like the way Sully's fur moves in Monsters, Inc). However, presented with a lesser body of work, they will certainly notice the lack of such details in comparison.

Sorry, fighting the injustices of LDD disparagement is one of my pet soapbox causes.