This grey fullwidth technic beam cannot be inserted into the gap between the halfwidth black technic beams, due to a conflict which seems to affect modified connector peg parts 6558, 32054 and 32556.

argh_001.jpg

Unfortunately, some official instructions rely on a connection like this. I encountered it while trying to attach the fork for the motorbike model in set 4404 - Land Busters.

argh_002.jpg

I can't even successfully place the connector peg with a scaffolding then build around it. Nothing works. I'm just about ready to go outside and kick a car.

Edited by Gnac

I think it won't work because officially it is an illegal construction. Because there is stress in the middle part of the pin, normally there is the little gap between 2 beams, but with this there is no gap, just the hole of the beam.

Wow, this is really difficult to explain :grin:

• Can’t attach a 2x2 plate (3022) or a 2x2 plate with 1 knob (87580) to the top of a barrel (2489). In fact, I tried a whole bunch of bricks and plates, and round ones were the only ones that could be attached. Bug or a limitation of the software?

Question. are you supposed to be able to connect a 2x2 plate ontop of the barell IRL (i.e. is it used in any official set or so)?

This grey fullwidth technic beam cannot be inserted into the gap between the halfwidth black technic beams, due to a conflict which seems to affect modified connector peg parts 6558, 32054 and 32556.

Unfortunately, some official instructions rely on a connection like this. I encountered it while trying to attach the fork for the motorbike model in set 4404 - Land Busters.

Like legolijntje said - it's an illegal design, because the ridges on the pegs (not visible in LDD, but have a look on a real peg) would cause the peg to be in constant compression. This in turn would cause plastic deformation (aka cold flow) that over time would ruin the peg (it would become loose and less "snappy").

Thanks legolijntje & Superkalle. Seeing that this is an illegal technique, I don't think it's important to make the connection with part 32054 in the LXF, so I will leave it to one side and reference these last few posts in the error list.

While we are on the subject of stressful connections with connector pegs, I have been frustrated by a situation where part 88072 (Plate 1x2 with Vertical Shaft) is required to be inserted into 4274 (Connector Peg with Knob). This occurs in set 5761 - Mini Digger, and I've had to stock up on a few 4274s because they keep cracking.

Update 19th Octobre: I got the official response: Apple changed one OpenGL function in 10.8.2 and 10.7.5 that disallows this functionality in LDD. The mail doesn't state if they are working with apple or finding a workaround..

This is so lame! I forgot how bad LDD looks without outlines on.

Well, I'm not 100% sure that this problem goes here, but I've been trying to get LDD working for some time now. I double click the icon and nothing happens. A quick look at the task managers shows me that the process is running, at a constant memory usage of about 50mb, but no window appears.

Any help'

Question. are you supposed to be able to connect a 2x2 plate ontop of the barell IRL (i.e. is it used in any official set or so)?

I have no idea if it's ever been done in any official set, but a square 2x2 plate definitely fits on top of a barrel just like a round 2x2 plate does (and that's definitely been done, so putting a square 2x2 on there in the same way can't possibly be considered an illegal build).

Larger plates than 2x2 definitely can't be attached to a barrel though so I take that back. My mistake.

Let me re-state my bug report:

2x2 plates (3022), 2x2 flat tiles (3068) and 2x2 tiles with 1 knob (87580) can be attached on top of barrels IRL but not in LDD. Round 2x2 plates (4032) and tiles (4150) can be attached to barrels in LDD (as well as IRL, of course). Even if LEGO has never built anything with 2x2 square pieces on top of barrels, it shouldn't be considered an illegal build since it's attachment method isn't any different from round 2x2 pieces.

Well, I'm not 100% sure that this problem goes here, but I've been trying to get LDD working for some time now. I double click the icon and nothing happens. A quick look at the task managers shows me that the process is running, at a constant memory usage of about 50mb, but no window appears.

Any help'

I have several suggestions:

1. End the process from Task Manager, then try restarting LDD.
  2. Uninstall LDD, download a fresh copy of the software from http://ldd.lego.com, then install it.
  3. If all else fails, contact LEGO Customer Service.

-Toa Of Justice

I tried reinstalling, closing it, trying it on other accounts on my computer, clearing and reinstalling drivers... none of them worked. I'll try sending an email. Thanks though.

I found a couple of weird things!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

argh_004.jpg

I'm pretty sure gears do not work that way. This may have actually happened in a few official models' LXFs that I've built. (LXF example)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

argh_005.jpg

Now this is just bizarre. If I have two technic bricks right next to each other with the holes lining up, I can insert part 41532 right through one of them to connect to the other. (LXF example)

I did a search and did not see this come up, so I have no idea if it's been noted or not.

Part 71075 and 71076 are reversed in part numbering:

71076 should be Round 1x1x1 2/3 71076.gifand 71075 should be Round 1x1 90 degree elbow with no stud 71075.gif but LDD has this the other way around.

Images courtesy BrickLink

I did a search and did not see this come up, so I have no idea if it's been noted or not.

Part 71075 and 71076 are reversed in part numbering:

71076 should be Round 1x1x1 2/3 71076.gifand 71075 should be Round 1x1 90 degree elbow with no stud 71075.gif but LDD has this the other way around.

Images courtesy BrickLink

I checked this out with TLG Customer Service, and it turns out LDD has the correct numbers.

opps :blush: I guess the error falls to sites like Bricker and BrickLink then. The only reason I even noticed this was while doing colour checks on a current project using LDD Manager, parts were getting listed that I know I didn't have in the model :sceptic:

Edited by theDeanoRama

opps :blush: I guess the error falls to sites like Bricker and BrickLink then. The only reason I even noticed this was while doing colour checks on a current project using LDD Manager, parts were getting listed that I know I didn't have in the model :sceptic:

Yeah, I missed it too (i.e. I need to update LDD Manager it seems :classic:)

I have no idea if it's ever been done in any official set, but a square 2x2 plate definitely fits on top of a barrel just like a round 2x2 plate does (and that's definitely been done, so putting a square 2x2 on there in the same way can't possibly be considered an illegal build).

Larger plates than 2x2 definitely can't be attached to a barrel though so I take that back. My mistake.

Let me re-state my bug report:

2x2 plates (3022), 2x2 flat tiles (3068) and 2x2 tiles with 1 knob (87580) can be attached on top of barrels IRL but not in LDD. Round 2x2 plates (4032) and tiles (4150) can be attached to barrels in LDD (as well as IRL, of course). Even if LEGO has never built anything with 2x2 square pieces on top of barrels, it shouldn't be considered an illegal build since it's attachment method isn't any different from round 2x2 pieces.

And a late follow up from me :classic:

I just tried the connection, and it is a very tight/hard fit to put a 2x2 plate etc on the barell. On the other hand a round brick one of any kind (plate, tile, other barell...) will flex more (because it doesn't have "closed walls") and thus the fit is more "forgiving". So I'd say that a 2x2 plate (etc...) is indeed illegal, and we probably won't see it in any official set. But this is just my guess.

This may not be a bug, but I can't seem to find the 'remove filter' button for colour anywhere in the Mac version. The user manual clearly shows a button for removing the filter, but it's nowhere to be seen and I'm going insane!

This may not be a bug, but I can't seem to find the 'remove filter' button for colour anywhere in the Mac version. The user manual clearly shows a button for removing the filter, but it's nowhere to be seen and I'm going insane!

I'm not sure I follow. Which mode are you in (LDD, Extended). Also, can you post a screenshot where the button should be?

I'm not sure I follow. Which mode are you in (LDD, Extended). Also, can you post a screenshot where the button should be?

Is this the button you're looking for (the funnel button near the bottom right of the color palette)?

removefilterbutton.png

If so, it's only available in the standard LDD and Mindstorms modes, not the Extended mode.

-Toa Of Justice

argh_006.jpg

It appears that part 30602 (coloured trans-orange) and part 30603 (coloured black) can overlap in ways that may not be physically possible. (LXF example)

I just noticed that one of the new Galaxy Squad sets is using wheel rims (3464) in a very interesting way (look at the cannon in the front). It's never crossed my mind that you could even attach a stud to these little rims. so that's a new building technique learned!

However, you can't attach anything to them in LDD so.. bug!

I just noticed that one of the new Galaxy Squad sets is using wheel rims (3464) in a very interesting way (look at the cannon in the front). It's never crossed my mind that you could even attach a stud to these little rims. so that's a new building technique learned!

However, you can't attach anything to them in LDD so.. bug!

I've never seen that technique before either.

Anyway, bug it seems to be!

I did a service request on the the LEGO site and got in response that they'll forward the bug/request to the LDD expert, I got an ID for the ticket and didn't do a followup, will try tonight and will report back here.

Update 19th Octobre: I got the official response: Apple changed one OpenGL function in 10.8.2 and 10.7.5 that disallows this functionality in LDD. The mail doesn't state if they are working with apple or finding a workaround..

Anyone found a work around? I need to get started on my Winter Village entry :sweet: