Kristel

MOD 10228 Haunted House (WIP)

What a great effort. I must congratulate you with this model. It would look fine in any town. Realy love the inside. I noticed the Gramafoon too, did not know it was from the set.

Great build. It fits right in with the official line. I could easily see it on any downtown street scene. I think it fits well as a town-home. I want the official set, but it is a bit steep (as a lot of great sets are). But I wouldn't mind modifying it to comply in this nature.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks PsyKater, The Dutch Guy, CarrollFilms and TheLegoDr!

Great job.

I wonder if the windows could be detailed a little more, maybe round bricks instead of square for the side frames?

Thanks, Bricktrain.

I am currently playing around with some different colour combinations to make a row of townhouses. I think I'll try your suggestion, it should provide an interesting variation.

Cheers,

Kristel

Thanks for sharing. I know a lot of people will be interested in seeing that!

Keep up the great work! :)

Kristel,

Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinking about a Modular HM, I'm sure your instructions will give me some ideas how to proceed.

Thanks again,

Andy D

Hi everyone,

I am not into the Monster Fighters theme, but liked to look of the Haunted House and would like one that fits into a city layout. I tried several 32-stud versions, but realised very quickly that I would need to buy a lot more bricks to pull that off. So, I opted for a 16-stud version.

Here is my WIP - there is no interior or backyard, and the back is just a plain wall (no backdoor or windows). I had to make a couple of colour substitutions because I only had a few of the black 1x2 triple slopes and the black and light bluish grey plates with handles.

Very nice! I bought the HH for the same reason - not a MF fan but thought it looked cool. I'm planning to mod mine in to a modular-style corner building when I get the time!

Thanks, LegoDr and Andy.

Very nice! I bought the HH for the same reason - not a MF fan but thought it looked cool. I'm planning to mod mine in to a modular-style corner building when I get the time!

That's a great idea! I hadn't considered this at all, but I can see this would be quite nice actually. Are you planning on having the door and turret part on the corner?

I dont know if anyone said anything, but that record player is soooo creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent use of the hat!

I dont know if anyone said anything, but that record player is soooo creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent use of the hat!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the record player, as it was part of the official set. :)

Thanks, LegoDr and Andy.

That's a great idea! I hadn't considered this at all, but I can see this would be quite nice actually. Are you planning on having the door and turret part on the corner?

I think so; should match the Palace Cinema I've got or the opposin corner!

Hey Kristel I love your work here (as usual) and with a possibility of acquiring the Haunted House soon, I'm even more over the moon with your PDF instructions to get a complete newbie like me started on the MOC modular road.

Going back to your original thoughts on what might not be quite right, I have looked over your exterior work and I think I can see a wee architectural issue that is throwing your eye. Because you have taken it to the 16 wide scale and using single width windows, the detail around your windows are a wee bit heavy. I reckon the the profile of the grey projections need to be shallower and possibly thinner than the width of a brick. The detail at the moment would suit a wider larger window.

But saying that....its beautiful work and your interiors are exceptional :D

Going back to your original thoughts on what might not be quite right, I have looked over your exterior work and I think I can see a wee architectural issue that is throwing your eye. Because you have taken it to the 16 wide scale and using single width windows, the detail around your windows are a wee bit heavy. I reckon the the profile of the grey projections need to be shallower and possibly thinner than the width of a brick. The detail at the moment would suit a wider larger window.

Thanks gazumpty, and apologies for not responding sooner.

I think you're right about the detailing around the windows being a bit heavy for the 16-wide building. Using jumper plates to offset the window so most of it sits only 1/2 a brick out from the wall would make them shallower.

This is great!

Agreed on the "heaviness" of the windows.

I'd be interested in seeing an updated version - perhaps by taking inspiration from windows in the upcoming 10243-1: Parisian Restaurant (http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87343).

Thanks lomis. Reducing the width of the side trims would also make them less heavy. The Parisien restaurant technique requires a 4-stud wide window and 8 studs with to play with overall. There isn't as much room to play with in this case because of the round support bricks on the edges. There may be a way to amend the technique, but I'm not planning on redoing this one anytime soon. Too many other ideas to turn into brick built structures first! :classic: