JeagerEX

New Chinese Knock off LEGO company

One poster said that Korean kids buy these things thinking they're real Lego? I find it hard to believe that even a child could be fooled by this junk.

They do. I go to Korea every summer and one of the kids I know well showed me one of those bootleg Ninjago sets saying "I bought this Ninjago set with my allowance! It's really cheap in the stationery shops so don't buy it in those big markets!" and I told him "It's a bootleg."

I see those every time I go to Korea. What's worse is that those kids actually buy that crap, believing it to be the real sets. :sceptic:

EDIT: Turns out I bought one in my trip. Should I take comparison pictures?

Heck yeah! Just for the lols :tongue:

Anybody remember the ninjago episode where the ninja are replaced by evil body doubles? That was my first thought upon reading this thread.

Why are you supporting the bootleggers?!!? You buy them, they just make more. I don't get it.

Ah well.

Generally reviews of them here are not very productive and just turn into bash fests, but if there is enough demand here...

Interesting little story here.....LEGO and BanBao Have Ended Their War

Perhaps the others will follow.....I wonder what deal was struck eh ? :wink:

Probably just to make the quality easier to differentiate and to keep their products in the Asia-Pacific area where unfortunately there are people who don't know any better. :/

Strange. :hmpf_bad: However, the sincerest form of appreciation is copying! :grin: I think that they may get in legal trouble, though. :sceptic:

Obviously; the best approach for Lego to take with the company in the 1st post is the same as Banbao - more distinct advertising and products.

Read this now....Banbao vs Lego

" Banbao Blames Lego For Not Letting Banbao Copy Lego "......are they serious ?! :wacko:

Sure you can just start copying another company's product because you can ? *huh*

Thanks, that's an interesting article. I've purchased two Banbao products here in China myself. The first one was a smallish windmill, a pretty boring, repetitive build and the design lends itself to collapsing fairly easily. One of the little ancillary buildings couldn't be built because there weren't enough bricks. The second was a fighter jet, it's not TOO bad - particularly as Lego doesn't make military stuff - but here again several design points are poorly thought out. Actually, the first step in the directions (attaching the landing gear) I had to wonder, "what were these guys thinking here?". The clutch power leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson with Banbao.

Pay close attention to this image......

politieman-en-dief-speelgoed-8347-500x500.jpg

Note - a large jewel in a case plus the road spikes.....there are Lego City sets next having the same two kind of items in two different police sets for 2013.

Funny how different companies think a like eh ? :wink:

Read this now....Banbao vs Lego

" Banbao Blames Lego For Not Letting Banbao Copy Lego "......are they serious ?! :wacko:

Sure you can just start copying another company's product because you can ? *huh*

:iamded_lol::rofl: That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! We protest! We can copy a patented design, can't we??

Why are you supporting the bootleggers?!!? You buy them, they just make more. I don't get it.

Ah well.

Generally reviews of them here are not very productive and just turn into bash fests, but if there is enough demand here...

I don't support them, I just bought it to take pictures. (To tell everyone how crappy these are)

"BanBao Europe embraces a win-win philosophy in its co-operation with its partners."

They even try to sell it as if TLG is willing to co-operate with them :D

To put something incredibly simply (over simplified) basically the culture in China tends to be very conformy and again, to oversimplify, this leads to a real lack of innovation which also encourages people to just steal. The cultural mentality also often doesn't think of this as an issue. It's almost unethical to not steal ideas :P. I mean, heck look at their military. Their jets and crap are all trying to be carbon copies of other country's stuff in every aspect. Copying is ingrained in so many aspects of the country that most people there don't even really think it's an issue.

It's only going to get worse too as China continues to catch up with everyone else.

I completely oversimplified this. I explained it poorly. I'm tired and don't care. :P

The issue won't go away either. They have whole theme parks and billions upon billions of $$$ invested in stolen properties.

Edited by BrickG

Yes please. I am curious about the ninjago sets, saw them for the first time this week. Are the minfigs any good?

:classic:

That fake Cars look-a-like LEGO set has a minifigure that is similar to the Cowboy from Series 1 minifigures.

How are they similar? The fact they are both cowboys?

The fake has a brown torso jacket and brown hat with a white shirt and a red bandana around the neck and black pants.

The Lego one has a dark tan torso jacket and dark tan hat with a tan shirt and a gunbelt around his torso and brown pants.

Nothing similar there.

-Omi

I think these knock off companies are getting better and better at what they do. Some are even giving features Lego never did. Like recently I bought this Enlighten battle tank from a Mr. DIY store for RM 40. A Lego set worth RM 50 will only net you the 4x4 mining pickup with 1 minifig. Now for RM 40 you get 5 minifigs, a fully equipped battle tank with suspension and lots of accessories. The suspension part blew my mind. Of course there are some questionable stuff like the enemies this set is trying to portray. Also this is the first military set with a female soldier I know.

IMAG0364_zps032b5982.jpg

IMAG0370_zps6bbc4e86.jpg

IMAG0368_zps9f450423.jpg

Then there is a 'Lego' school which Lego never made.

Sluban_school_025.jpg

Sluban_school_027.jpg

I feel Lego is really upping their game with better sets, both licences and home grown themes. But as I observed when I was in the place where I bought the tank, children are attracted to the Enlighten sets although it is clearly a knock-off/clone brick. It also does not help Lego in Malaysia is super dooper expensive compared to the US or EU.

Edited by paanjang16

The "School" building is just a copy of the Pizzeria from the City Corner. I do however like the look of the school bus.

~LCM

I was browsing Youtube today looking to find any reviews of a set produced by enlighten that intrigued me. The set looked very familiar to a MOC I've seen before that was a piano. It turns out the set does look like a copy of a MOC.

Despite it being a knock off, it does seem quite tempting to buy. But at the same time, I really don't want to support these brands or fakes.

Also, their making guns.

Edited by The Blue Brick

Well, Enlighten has improved itself nowadays Enlighten makes its "own" sets like the police series ex. Police swat van well I haven't heard that lego produced a swat van, and many others

But the sad thing is that mostly of this set is that they have some inspiration on lego like ex. atlantis enlighten too named his the same but with different kinds of set and vehicles

and the little good thing here is that the third-world can receive "lego-like" in their own budget

-Deltarex101 opinions