Antonio

WIP:ship

[pid][/pid]144C

Her name will be FrozenFog.

cam00186.jpg

I want to make my ship in this style used by Captain Green Hair in his tutorial.

i.jpg

The "style" im talking about is, the cabin to be in the lower back on the hull ,not ontop of the back like in some other ships and i want it to have 3 masts like in the picture.

Any advice and ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Finnaly new update November 2nd!

cam00175.jpg

The CGH tumblehome technique may be semplified this way: in a 10 jumper series (for example) you may place a single jumper at the first and at the last position, and in the middle instead of 8 jumpers you may place tiles in the same color.

hinges can be replaced by 1x2 plates modified with clips and handles (i can't remember who suggested that, but it was a clever idea)

i really like the CGH style, it's accurate, and at the same time remains very "lego".

Ye,i though about the jumper thing,but wont be it too unstable when using 2 jumpers and 8 tiles?And about the hinges i though i could use these:

3937c01.gif?0

if it wont work i will try with the 1x2 plates with clips.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Ye,i though about the jumper thing,but wont be it too unstable when using 2 jumpers and 8 tiles?And about the hinges i though i could use these:

3937c01.gif?0

if it wont work i will try with the 1x2 plates with clips.

Thanks for the advice! :)

No you can alternate jumpers and tiles, just make sure they're even spread. I used to do this when I had few parts.

Those hinges will work as well, so good luck!

Since you're trying to make a 3 decker, you need a way to open your sides to access the gun deck (if i've undestood your words). There's many ways to reproduce that: the perfectionist way, admiral croissant's and mine. But honestly: with the perfectionit way you have the complete access to the gundeck, but you have to separate te ship to do that. With admiral croissant's and mine method you can look into the gundeck, but even with my method (wich allows minifig wearin hats to walk into) it's very hard to move minifigs in because of the arcs rising the upper deck.

I think CGH style is the best way to build a ship and access captain cabin and the central guns.

I tried to make a 3deck ship once but it looked too bulky so I stopped the whole project.

If you go for 3 decks make sure the sides looks round " ) " and not straight " | "

A Straight side make the ship look like some large box with cannons sticking out :pir_laugh2:

I hope my tip was usefull ;)

greetz

Bjornu

@ Captain Green Hair

If you say so,then i will try all 3 ways (with jumpers and tiles, those brick hinges and with plates with clips).

@ Mattep1130

Ah i get it,sorry i wasnt thinking about entering the gun deck since my last ship couldnt do that,even with the cabin.But thats an awesome idea with the clip plates.I dont think the perfectionit idea suits for me because the rigging will be with real rope all over the real ships,so i cant take off the top deck (if that is the perfectionit idea) .

@Bjornu Ye, I will try to make it more roundish! :)

I will try all 3 ways and post results when i make it (i hope tomorow) .

Good night!

EDIT:Got ninja'd by Bjornu while typing.

Edited by Antonio

Update:

Today i started with Captain Green Hair's technique but i dont have enough jumper plates (if im going to make it on 2 floors ,i will need jumpers for the 2nd one ,right?)

The brick hinges same, i dont have that much of them for 2 floors.

Plates with clips,thats my only hope :pir-laugh:

@ Mattep1130 Can you show me how you do your technique for the opening walls?I saw your WIP ship but i couldnt see how you do it :pir_wacko: .

Oh well im always that positive when making something big :pir-sceptic: ,but i always lack some of the parts i need for it ,so i improvise .

Later im going to post pics with what im doing (the plates with clips) .

EDIT:Here are some pictures:

cam00036.jpg

I know the parts are dirty,not completely together ,but its just a prototype.

The holes are for the guns,which will be brick-made ,because i dont have any from the official.

cam00038.jpg

cam00042.jpg

This is how much outside from the hull, the wall is.

My question is ,should i make the wall in the middle(around the middle hole) abit more outside?

And is this a good wall or should i try another way?

Edited by Antonio

Can't tell you! It's a secret! Joking ;) I simply use 4275 hinge plate w 3 fingers and 4531 hinge tile w 2 fingers. This combination allows to fold down sides.

Good luck!

Edit:

Ina realistic look the guns can't start under the largest part of the ship so first you have to curve the hull, then place gunports. This way it will be very hard to make a three decker...

Edited by Matteo1130

Well i want it to be realistic,but then i will have to make it normal,2 decks :pir-cry_sad: .Then probably going to do it Captain Green Hair's way :).

If you don't have a lot of jumpers and hinges there's an alternative that involves only a few hinges (just 4 already suffice) (link).

Although it might not work very well for a 3 deck ship :pir-sceptic:

Minifigure legs can also be usefull to create angles but they leave some gaps (link).

Awesome ship for a "low budget" and uses only 4 hinges?How?And is it stable ? :pir-oh:

It's pretty stable, I used wide hinges (car roof hinges) and the decks fix the sides pretty much in place.

There is this downside I should mention though, when viewed from a low angle my ships looks a bit unfinished, you can consider this technique as a less accurate variant on CGH's technique.

Ah those hinges,well Mr.Lack Alot (me) doesnt have them either :pir-cry_sad: .

Well after some hours spend in search for jumper plates and other things ,I managed to build that:

cam00043.jpg

Im following Captain Green Hair's guide ,but about the decorations which will be on the cabin and catbow(if thats the name of the front) im going to think for them by myself.Im not following the guide precisely,i've made some changes and i hope its not wrong to have 3 studs distance between the guns.

Here's another picture:

cam00046.jpg

I think blue is good too for the ship :pir-sweet: and in some places instead of black i placed white.

EDIT:Is it good to make windows for the cabin from 1x1 tansparent plates?

Edited by Antonio

UPDATE:

I made the captain's cabin yesterday ,it was abit of challenging because there wasnt much place left for it at the back,i could remove 1 from the gun holes but i didnt want to :pir-classic:

cam00048.jpg

Here is a closer look on the side window:

cam00049.jpg

And it opens to reveal the dusty room :pir_laugh2:

cam00054.jpg

And here is a picture of the back :

cam00051.jpg

1 question, which flags are best for the gun holes?Blue,white or black?

Sorry for the bad pictures :pir-sceptic: ,I will make better ones when its all finished .

Edited by Antonio

The stern looks very weird and different, but i like it. As for the gunports, id stay white as they match the current colours of the ship. or, if you want to, you can go whit blue ones also. :pir-classic: Im looking forward how its gonna turn out. And may i suggest you to remove the cabins wall a bit backwards, because the cabin is very tiny at the moment, and usually the cabins had one gun or gunport.

Captain Becker

Oh ,I didnt knew that there could be 1 gunport in the cabin!Well thats good news ,so i can expand it :pir-sweet: And as for the gunports's doors i am wondering now between blue and white ,since in my local shop there are 20 blue and 10 white (on the ship i have 20 holes) ,but i also think that white is better.

Oh ,I didnt knew that there could be 1 gunport in the cabin!Well thats good news ,so i can expand it :pir-sweet: And as for the gunports's doors i am wondering now between blue and white ,since in my local shop there are 20 blue and 10 white (on the ship i have 20 holes) ,but i also think that white is better.

You could alternate white and blue, or use them to differentiate from the different types of gun (I.E 24 pounder, 32 pounder).

heres a picture that i found, not sure whats the ships name, but google says HMS Suprise. And as for the gunports, id go in that case whit the blue ones, and to the stern id keep the white ones. As you dont have enough white flags to cover the oth sides of the ship.

Captain Becker

@TheLegoNinja

Alternate is good also!But i dont know which guns would be best for my ship and...well i dont understand from pirate guns at all :pir_laugh2: .I dont have any official lego guns so i need to make my own :pir-cry_sad: .

@Captain Becker Thanks for the picture!It brought me inspiration ,so i expanded my cabin .I think i could make the first and last gunports with white and the ones between them with blue .

UPDATE:

The basics are almost complete,then i need to add details and then riging + sails.

Here is a picture of her:

cam00081.jpg

The front

cam00069.jpg

It is kinda prototype but i like it this way too ,so i dont know if i will change it .

A cute little gun:

cam00083.jpg

I adore this gun ,the technique isnt mine,its a combo between 2 other techniques.I just need to turn the black parts with the holes to look down,so the holes wont be visible.

This opens:

cam00061.jpg

cam00059.jpg

Its currently empty ,but when i get enough bricks i will make guns and other stuff :)

These open too:

cam00073.jpg

cam00074.jpg

Its not very easy to move stuff inside with such small holes ,but its still better than nothing.

I almost forgot!This opens too:

(the cabin ones)

cam00077.jpg

Its an overall look of all the opening parts from the ship

Inside the cabin:

cam00076.jpg

There is much more space now!I will add some stuff later.

And an image with natural light in the cabin

cam00082.jpg

I like the floor ,its my first time making such floor ,but becouse of the hinges ,the guns have some problems standing :pir-sceptic:

C&C + ideas are welcome :).

Have a nice day and thank you for viewing!

I Like the update. 1 Suggestion:

make the decks modular! it will make constructing the interior and making repairs infinitely easier!

Edit: I understand about the guns. I have none of the official lego cannons as well. The difference between 8, 16, 24, and 32 pounders are simply size. I would say that the cannon on the deck of your ship is about a 24 pounder.

Edited by TheLegoNinja

Since this is coming up a very nice ship, a very little change on the stern should be done: you "glass effect is great, but you may separate it into a certain number of little windows.

For rising the masts you can use this brick: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4844 instead of the pillar, and the last tip is just an IMHO: you can make the handrailing and headrailing with a color wich is pretty much different from the rest of the ship, i don't know iwhite, or blue, or even yellow could look nice (but this is just my opinion).

Keep it up! :pir-sweet:

Matteo

After 1 month i finnaly was able to update my ship.

cam00175.jpg

The only thing missing is ,a crew ,the mast planks (i dont know the name of those things that the sails hang on),i will do the rigging soon,perhaps when i have more time aand sails.About the ship's railing ,im not going to change it,simply because i dont have much time and i need to do my harbour landscape.

Yup i finnaly got the pieces for cannons:

cam00182.jpg

They arent the best cannons in the world but are still usefull

Here is a front look:

cam00180.jpg

I tried to make some detailing and i like it,but i also want to hear your opinion.There is a crownie knight,basically because the ship is a crownie ship ,which also allows adventurers to come on board.

Here is a pic on which you can see the top deck.

cam00178.jpg

I also changed the stern,i added 2 gunholes and a flag,which i think i will change later .

cam00186.jpg

cam00187.jpg

cam00183.jpg

I just noticed that the dust looks abit like snow :laugh:

On the last picture the red/white tile over the window at the bottom left corner is used to activate the light up brick in the stern.

And here is a picture with the cannons onboard.

cam00188.jpg

I need help ,a tip maybe ,how to stick the guns to the deck so they wont move ?

I also plan to add a story to the ship when i finnish it,maybe add something like a game ,in which you can choose some characters and i will tell their stories,and they will have adventure later on(with mocs and things .I really want to do something like this since long time,but i dont have any time :pir-sceptic:

Anyway i will update it soon when i do the sailors .