Gabe

The Causeway falls into darkness

elementaldestruction9eb_110912.jpg

Most esteemed Lord Dextrus Flagg, i bring terrible news from the east... the causeway garrison at the entrance to the Peregrinus landbridge has been destroyed by elemental attack, and we have been forced to pull down the landbridge itself to avoid being overrun.

The trouble began several weeks ago, when we began noticing large numbers of mountain mummies and other hill dwellers seeking asylum within our lands. They brought with them tales of huge rock monsters, who sprang from the earth itself, pulling down buildings, caving in tunnels, creating great rifts in the earth and crushing all in thier path. It seemed that the attacks were becoming ever closer to us, and fearing the worst, we fortified the garrison with extra men and a sapper unit - not that it did us any good in the end.

elementaldestruction11eb_110912.jpg

When the elementals finally did attack us, it was ferocious - we held them off as long as we could, but they battered our towers by hurling huge boulders at them, and once the south tower fell, tunneled into from beneath by a fierce demon made of rock and lava, we knew we had no choice but to retreat. We had set our sapper unit to mine the bridge with black oil and powder as a final resort, and began to pull our men back beyond that point. But before we could complete the evacuation, a huge elemenal rent the twisted gate aside and began to charge at us! We had no choice but to blow the bridge then, and hope it took the monster with it. It swayed but did not fall, and so we fended it off from the other side of the chasm, whilst our sappers moved further back to lay more oil and powder, should we be pushed back.

elementaldestruction8eb_110912.jpg

elementaldestruction12eb_110912.jpg

Some of our men were unfortunately trapped on the mainland by the blast, and managed to hole themselves up in the less damaged north tower, harrasing the elemental from above with arrow fire. Luckily, Arinna Thunderbow spotted them and after helping them to defend for as long as they could, she carried them one by one to safety.

elementaldestruction14eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction11eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction18eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction20eb_120912.jpg

A few brave men still fought on in the south tower, trying to defeat the lava elemental, but it was a hopeless cause. May thier memory live long as defenders of our land and our people... :sadnew:

elementaldestruction4eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction22eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction2eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction1eb_120912.jpg

Eventally the earth elemental made it's move, trying to leap across the chasm. We rushed to attack as it did so, managing by our combined efforts to knock it off balance and sent it tumbling, to smash to pieces on the cliffs below. Only then did we retreat over the landbridge, pulling down enough of it to prevent such a land assault from occurring again. I am not so naive to believe that this will save us from the threat of elemental attacks in the future, but at least it buys us a little time to work out how we can counter these forces.

elementaldestruction27eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction24eb_120912.jpg

elementaldestruction28eb_120912.jpg

It is also my sad duty to report that Sir Barold, commander of the causeway garrison, died in it's defence. Long may he live in our memory. Lord Sansael has instructed me to lead what is left of his men in his stead, and to take over the main role of elemental defence. This i shall endevour to do to the best of my ability.

Hoping to have better news the next time we speak;

Phrixelle, commander of the Peregrinian watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I wasn't really sure what i was doing with this build, and i have to say it was quite a effort to see it to completion, what with all the interruptions (work, etc) i had. :sceptic: I had a lot of ideas about showing an explosion or fitting in more of the bridge etc, but in the end i just had to simplify things a bit and go with what i had. I hope it works well, and am very interested to hear your feedback and criticisms. :classic:

I did actually have a full interior to the north tower, but not much of a way to show it - it was mainly for my own amusement! But this shot shows you a little bit of it. More pics can be seen onmy Flickr, as always.

elementaldestruction21eb_120912.jpg

Oh, and just to remind ppl of what the Causeway garrison looked like before the elemental attack... :cry_sad::wink:

microgate4eb_240712.jpg

Thanks for looking, and happy building! :thumbup::classic:

Great! I just saw this on flickr, it is truly a piece of art. to bad this wasn't in challenge 4, you would have had a great chance!

kkep it up!

~Legonardo

This is just great Gabe! This one would have been a top scorer if you had entered the contest! :wub:

The backdrp with clouds, rains and the little vulcano really adds to the whole scene! The waves are so good looking with not so much special bricks which I have to rememeber to use in my mocs!

You also did a great job putting your micro castle in to minifig castle! :thumbup:

How did you do the arrows for the archers?

You never cease to amaze me :oh: The sense of stormy weather is incredible and the rockwork/water is beautiful :thumbup:

The ruined tower, elementals, and fig posing are also top-notch.

Featured on legocreator57 :classic:

Great work, especially on the side border and the background volcano! :thumbup:

:oh: I hadn't even noticed the second elemental when you posted in the Kaliphlin page. I'm truly amazed. The elementals are wonderful, the tower is well built, and the background you built really adds a lot of atmosphere to the build. Well done, gabe :sweet:

Great! I just saw this on flickr, it is truly a piece of art. to bad this wasn't in challenge 4, you would have had a great chance!

kkep it up!

~Legonardo

Fantastic MOC. Like I said in the Kaliphan guild page, this would get my vote.

Thanks fellas! :blush: Tho i had no earthly chance of making the challenge 4 deadline, by the time that rolled around i had only just reached the top of the cliffs. :hmpf_bad: So yeah, hard to compare this with the other entries when i have had so much more time to consider and build in.

This is just great Gabe! This one would have been a top scorer if you had entered the contest! :wub:

The backdrp with clouds, rains and the little vulcano really adds to the whole scene! The waves are so good looking with not so much special bricks which I have to rememeber to use in my mocs!

You also did a great job putting your micro castle in to minifig castle! :thumbup:

How did you do the arrows for the archers?

Thanks deGothia, i always appreciate your feedback. :classic: The scaling up of the microscale garrison, only in ruined form, was one of the most challenging aspects of this build, so i'm glad that it works for you. I still have issues with it in parts, like the walkway above the porticullis and it's relitive hight to the two flanking towers, and the general proportions, which are not as thick and bulky as i imagined, but in the end i just had to stop prevaricating about it and post what i had!

The arrows are actually a custom part, they come from BrickTW, who make custom parts based on Chinese history. (And some obviously anime inspired stuff too!) I really like thier stuff, it's very high quality. :thumbup:

You never cease to amaze me :oh: The sense of stormy weather is incredible and the rockwork/water is beautiful :thumbup:

The ruined tower, elementals, and fig posing are also top-notch.

Featured on legocreator57 :classic:

Thanks soccerkid, i'm glad you like it and thanks for the blogging too! :blush: The atmosphere created by the waves and the background certainly do add a lot, saves it actually from looking too static, which is something i was worried about for a bit.

Great work, especially on the side border and the background volcano! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai! :classic:

:oh: I hadn't even noticed the second elemental when you posted in the Kaliphlin page. I'm truly amazed. The elementals are wonderful, the tower is well built, and the background you built really adds a lot of atmosphere to the build. Well done, gabe :sweet:

Thanks Axis! Yeah, the second elemental is not very clear in the pics, it's certainly something that comes across better when you are standing in front of the model. Anyway, glad you like it! :classic:

As said on flickr: the RAIN and the clouds are amazing! :wink:

Thanks Ecclesiastes, they were fun to build! I even got to break out my tiny stash of 1x1 Maersk blue bricks... :wink:

This is Amazing Gabe! There are so many details to this, and the story is superb! I LOVE the waves below and the rain/clouds backdrop, among many many other things. I'm so glad you finished this, but I hope you finish your Challenge 5 entry in time - you always have great contenders! Awesome MOC!

As many have said already, this is a truly great build with lots of interesting and nice details. I agree that, had it entered the 4th challenge, it would have had high chances of succeeding, as it incorporates all that was required to an astounding degree. Your elementals are especially great, as is the backdrop with the small volcano (which I didn't notice until it was pointed out :blush: )

All in all, a great work :thumbup:

The amount of destruction in this build is great. I love how you built the water, it conveys a sense of natural movement really well. Awesome job!

This is Amazing Gabe! There are so many details to this, and the story is superb! I LOVE the waves below and the rain/clouds backdrop, among many many other things. I'm so glad you finished this, but I hope you finish your Challenge 5 entry in time - you always have great contenders! Awesome MOC!

Cheers Rougeang (Li?), glad you like it! :classic: Tbh it's just a relief to get this finished at last, i was so dark on myself that i wasn't able to make the deadline but i promised myself i wouldn't trash the build before i'd completed it. I'll certainly do my best to make challenge 5 though - missing two in a row is not an option!

As many have said already, this is a truly great build with lots of interesting and nice details. I agree that, had it entered the 4th challenge, it would have had high chances of succeeding, as it incorporates all that was required to an astounding degree. Your elementals are especially great, as is the backdrop with the small volcano (which I didn't notice until it was pointed out :blush: )

All in all, a great work :thumbup:

Thanks Abu Dun, i had a lot of fun with those elementals. I've pulled most of the moc apart now, but i've still got the main earth elemental proudly displayed on my shelf - i'm quite fond of him! :grin:

The amount of destruction in this build is great. I love how you built the water, it conveys a sense of natural movement really well. Awesome job!

Thanks Torgar, i very much appreciate your comment, 'cause i thought the half-falling building in your challenge 4 moc was super dynamic, and it certainly inspired me as i was building the towers. :classic: Building destruction was definitely harder than i anticipated... (And i guess this is one of the reasons i'm a bit uncomfortable with the "i would have voted for this/this would have scored well" comments - i got to see and take inspiration from all of the entries that were posted in time, and had the time to consider how i was going to build beyond that - so this moc wouldn't have existed in this form had it been entered. Idk, there were a heap of brilliant entries for challenge 4, i just see this as my free build on the same theme.)

Anyway, thanks again! :classic:

Awesome work as usual Gabe! :thumbup: Really like the cloud and rain with the volcano backdrop....

Cheers Mikel, i'm glad you like it! :classic:

Congrats on getting this Brothers bricked!

Thanks Legonardo - i saw that this morning too, crazy huh? :grin: Looks like it is Mitgardia's turn next to get the TBB treatment! :wink:

I adore this.

The colours are perfect. The action is perfect. The ability to move the backdrop.

Its a really striking build.

This looks brilliant! :sweet: I like the how you made all the rocks so well and the backdrop is great.

Just wanted to chime in and say how awesome this is. When I peeked at it a bit last week, I was overwhelmed and didn't really have time to check it out in depth, so this morning I set aside some time to give it its due.

As stated in the Kaliphlin-topic: this is really amazing!!!!!

I love how you made those clouds and always put them on the backgrounds!

And all those action going on is just incredible!!

Mpya Stedor will hold a minute of silence for the soldiers who died in this epic battle!

Thanks Cara, Ferrik and NM, i really appreciate all of your kind words. :blush:

<snip>

Mpya Stedor will hold a minute of silence for the soldiers who died in this epic battle!

Thankyou, dear guild-brother. When this war with Viktor Revolword and the elementals is over, i shall have to build a monument to mark the sacrifice of the fallen. :sadnew: