Sign in to follow this  
andyscouse

Library Plaza: Town scene with subway below

I just finished my latest MOC ("Library Plaza: Town and subway below") in time for it to be displayed at a MA museum (Wenham Museum) for their "Lego Sculptures" exhibit (runs from Sep 12 until end of October 2012). The MOC consists of two levels; a town above, and a subway below.

The town comprises a walled garden (very overgrown) featuring a water fountain; a Classical-style Library, complete with book stacks and internet stations; a Tudor shop (selling curios and antiques, I'm led to believe); the subway entrance, behind which are the very sunflowers that inspired a certain Mr Van Gogh.

The subway below is ... well, a subway!

7976485599_68b4dd9ec0_z.jpg

Check out its flickr stream:

or at MOCpages:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/340560

Edited by andyscouse

I like this diorama, especially the subway and the Tudor house. The library is based on the town hal in the town plan, isn't it?

By the way: what is a MA museum?

I like this diorama, especially the subway and the Tudor house. The library is based on the town hal in the town plan, isn't it?

By the way: what is a MA museum?

Yes, the door, columns and portico are from the Town Plan, but I added capitols to the columns, made the front window tops arches rather than angled and expanded up and back, adding recessed arches on the sides and a stained glass window on the back. I added the garden later.

The Wenham Museum is in Massachusetts, USA; hence MA.

Neat set-up! I like the museum and I love the tudor style building. Perfect place for antiques for sure. I may have to try to incorporate something like that into my layout. Dismantling MMV here I come.

I like the steps down to the subway. I've never considered doing something like that before, but I like the idea of a multi-layered city layout.

Keep up the good work.

Wonderful creation 'andyscouse', AWESOME detailing and nice to see the town hall from Town Plan becoming a library. :grin:

Delightful street scape as well....excellent designing 'andyscouse' and Brick On ! :grin:

Great work, especially on the subway. Love the way you did the street as well! :thumbup:

This is a really nice diorama - especially the houses. I'm a bit alarmed by the fact that none of the people waiting for the subway seem to mind the skeleton, though...

This is a really nice diorama - especially the houses. I'm a bit alarmed by the fact that none of the people waiting for the subway seem to mind the skeleton, though...

Thank you ... and they're not alarmed, as they think he's just one of the skeleton crew .......

Thank you ... and they're not alarmed, as they think he's just one of the skeleton crew .......

OH DEAR! :tongue: Awesome build, love the entrance to the subway on the right

OH DEAR! :tongue: Awesome build, love the entrance to the subway on the right

Yes, I like the way it came out. All I knew when I started was that it had to extend below the street level effectively, and I only had 6-studs to play with (as the model could not be more than 22" wide for the display, and 2 baseplates are 20"). So, after tinkering, I thought the red came out well, and some windows from my stock made the finishing touch Oh, and I wanted the back to slope, so I had the idea to use a hinge rather than roof tiles.

Saw the exhibit today and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I thought the other displays would be more up to par with your town scene. But I digress, I'm loving this so much right now. Its the little details that get me, the planter, the traffic light and the statues. Really impressive work.

I'll be picking this MOC up next Wednesday from Wenham Museum, where it's been on display for the last 6 weeks. Then, that same day, I'll be taking it to Brattleboro Museum for their 5th Annual Lego Competition. Huzzah!

Where's the Brattleboro Museum? Maybe the other stuff with your plaza will be up to par, and worth the trip if it's far.