Klaus-Dieter

2013 Lone Ranger Sets

There have been some terrible movies that have gotten sequels. It would, of course, have a drastically reduced budget compared to this one but it's happened before. Not saying that it's likely to happen. Disney has much safer bets as far as IPs go right now.

I was thinking of ordering the Colby City Showdown but I'm wondering if waiting a little bit will save me some money. I'm not sure if I have that kind of patience.

There have been some terrible movies that have gotten sequels. It would, of course, have a drastically reduced budget compared to this one but it's happened before. Not saying that it's likely to happen. Disney has much safer bets as far as IPs go right now.

I was thinking of ordering the Colby City Showdown but I'm wondering if waiting a little bit will save me some money. I'm not sure if I have that kind of patience.

I'll say the set is definitely really nice. The sheriffs building is really well done and the overall completed look is really cool, with no definite discounts in the future I say go for it :thumbup:

I'm hoping that Lego doesn't see the larger failing of the movie as a reason to pull back from the Western theme. In a way, I think the LOTR line helped usher in a new Castle line and I was hoping that TLR line would help usher in a Western line. It may yet still work out.

I got Colby City 2 days ago and have to say that it really is great.

I agree, the Sheriff building is the best of the two. I modded it by removing the gun, fixing the prison wall, and added more telescope pieces but other than that it is already great.

The bank needed a little more. A proper roof to start with. I just added some white slopes and it looks good! The just some adjustments to the right side, to make it symmetrical and a little change to the interior and it's done!

I would say that this set and the silver mine are the most appealing.

The Comanche camp is great for a western theme but the plastic tent kills it a bit for me. The train is sadly a little too expensive for me right now, but it looks like a proper western train, like the one from Toy Stroy but less colourfull.

I'm hoping that Lego doesn't see the larger failing of the movie as a reason to pull back from the Western theme. In a way, I think the LOTR line helped usher in a new Castle line and I was hoping that TLR line would help usher in a Western line. It may yet still work out.

I think that the LR sets have sold fairly well starting months before the movie came out. Hopefully they see that as a desire more for new Western theme sets rather than simply an interest in the LR license. It's possible Lego may make more money off the movie than the movie makers.

Has there been any word on if or when LEGO 30260 Lone Ranger's Pump Car will be available in the US?

I just looked at the LR sets in our LEGO store, and they look very, very cool! Lots of interesting designs and very clean lines catch the eye. Let's hope that they continue to sell regardless of how the film does because LEGO does need a western line IMHO. Not everyone loves Sci-fi, Star Wars. LOTR or Mutant Turtles, so this gives them another choice, one that is a little more reality based. Hoorah!

Has there been any word on if or when LEGO 30260 Lone Ranger's Pump Car will be available in the US?

Nope. All the ones online are from Europe.

I saw the movie last night after all. I knew nothing about it going in other than what the LEGO sets provided. So it was neat seeing the different figures and whatnot. Not every set is spot on, but it never is. I thought overall they did a good job with it though. And I enjoyed the movie compared to the poor box office sales.

Again, critical review is often dissonant from the general audience's opinion. Movies, to connoisseurs/critics, are made to be torn apart. "Where's the bad acting? The poor plot structure? The reliance on action sequences?", while the audience would say, "That explosion was amazing, "HAHAHAHA!", and "We should get that on DVD!"

Again, critical review is often dissonant from the general audience's opinion. Movies, to connoisseurs/critics, are made to be torn apart. "Where's the bad acting? The poor plot structure? The reliance on action sequences?", while the audience would say, "That explosion was amazing, "HAHAHAHA!", and "We should get that on DVD!"

Critics were rough, however, I saw an article today stating that TLR did worse in the box office than John Carter so apparently moviegoers were listening to the critics. Its too bad too, I really want a western theme that sticks around!

Edited by jluckhaupt

I read a New York Times article describing it as "the kind of bomb that people discuss for years to come" and said that "tumbleweeds were rolling through the theater when [LR] was playing". I bet this is on Gore Verbinski's "Top Ten List of the Worst Mistakes I've Ever Made." Frankly, I'd be surprised if more movies come. Darn it that it has great LEGO potential!

Not that my experience means anything, but my theater at a 10:00 showing 4 days after it premiered was still fairly full. Obviously everywhere is different, but reviews don't help. I think people should be the judge for themselves instead of having someone else do their thinking for them. Critics are given that title for a reason, they are to criticize everything. If the movie going public hates it, then they hate it.

But the sets will speak for themselves. Even if the movie is a flop, I bet the sets will sell well if only because it is a new Western theme. It would be great for future sets if it was a success though.

I honestly didn't think the ending was as open ended as most franchises, so maybe they weren't planning on making too many sequels anyway??

I don't see how the movie's performance should affect the Lego sales.I bet there are lots of people who buy the sets but not see the movie.

I'm telling you right now there won't be a sequel! Who is the genius at Disney that decided to release TLR same day as Despicable Me 2,what morons!

In the uk it is released august 8th which is when its American release would've been wiser to put as there are an absence of blockbuster summer movies this year it seems as the bigger ones seem to come out from sept onwards plus the uk box office for lr won't have to contend with despicable me 2. I think reason why they have not got many people in the states is kids would rather see despicable me 2 as kids today probably haven't even heard of the lone ranger. Admittedly I hadn't myself until I saw the first trailer. The sets look very cool and I will be picking all of em up if I enjoy the movie when I see it in august! Hope they don't stop the line before it is even released in the uk! The LR may be a rousing success in the uk as I've actually heard that the moviegoers enjoyed it immensely and the critics are being overly harsh yet again. Man of steel didn't have the best reviews nor did im3 or TDKR! The point is if people like the film they'll buy the sets if they don't they wont or they may buy them for the whole western thing.

TDKR got 4 stars in my paper. LR got two. There's a difference.

Yeah but in the uk it could be very different as it could do very well here as the pirates of the Caribbean films and Oz the great and powerful all did very well cinema take in wise. Critic opinions are meaningless to me. They are paid to find problems with the film to make their reviews more interesting. They don't review the film looking mostly at the positive side they focus on all the negatives and then make some sweeping (usually untrue) statement that makes people who saw the film think they are imbeciles. A good review presents balanced opinions and your own but makes no sweeping generalisation about the film's quality just because it didn't appeal to them. The problem with reviews is they make statements like: this film is terrible they don't say in my opinion this film is terrible and then say why you think that, which is the right way to write a review as others may have enjoyed it. Bad reviews can be off putting and I've only seen one film this year that made me agree with the reviewer on how terrible it was. I'd estimate that with the boost of the film coming out in the uk shortly after the sets that the sets will get lots of people buying them because they want to collect them before the film. I'm pretty confident that this film will be good and sell enough tickets and sets in the uk to be a success over here. Besides our papers are so unreliable that nobody even listens to them!

Whenever I see a negatively-reviewed film, I usually wind up thinking, after seeing it, "Forget the critics, that was a good movie!"

The veracity of movie reviews doesn't need to be debated here. People write them and people read them. Let's focus on the sets here.

I think it's fairly clear that, barring a miracle, that the movie isn't going to do so swell. Time will tell how that will affect the sales of the theme.

If it does mean the theme will be unsuccessful, it's through no fault of the sets' design team. These are some spectacular sets that I'm thrilled to have whether the movie bombed or not.

Agreed. LEGO has done brilliantly with this theme, and if it is only this wave, it'll probably be around for a while anyway. It's unfortunate to have themes for poor movies, but LEGO can't know the success of the film they're producing sets for.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I don't see how the movie's performance should affect the Lego sales.I bet there are lots of people who buy the sets but not see the movie.

It effects a certain block of time right after the movies release. Think about when Lego released all of their Marvel stuff last year. Primarily their Avengers stuff. It hit Toys-R-US about 2 weeks before the movies release. It moved ok. Then the weekend the Avengers movie hit the Lego sections looked like they had been looted. Most stores near me sold out by noon Saturday following the Friday release. Now granted the Avengers sets by themselves were nowhere near as good as the LR ones. (Great minifigs, so so sets, and a bit overpriced), but the pattern is still clear. The kids will want a piece of what they really liked on screen. And that also illustrates the huge problem that Lego now faces with the LR movie. While people do not always agree with the reviewers over what is a good or bad movie. Parents tend to pay close attention to what is a "kid appropriate" movie. And the reviews for LR pretty clearly label it as not real good for the young 'uns. Which wipes out that whole built in marketing mechanism.

LR is probably selling as well as an in house classic Western theme would do (note how well the new Castle seems to be doing). So the question is what did the expensive license bring to the equation if the movie crashes and burns?

Whenever I see a negatively-reviewed film, I usually wind up thinking, after seeing it, "Forget the critics, that was a good movie!"

Yeah same here!

Agreed. LEGO has done brilliantly with this theme, and if it is only this wave, it'll probably be around for a while anyway. It's unfortunate to have themes for poor movies, but LEGO can't know the success of the film they're producing sets for.

Definitely design wise it is one of the better themes of Lego's long history. Each set is so detailed and only one of the sets I believe has stickers which just shows with bricks and printed parts Lego can make incredibly detailed sets for ranges. The figure printing and moulding is definitely something to admire as the new printed torsos and legs are brilliant and the moulding on the pistols the hats and the hairpieces is expertly done. Plus once done it all fits together into one big layout with the train track! Can't wait to own all these sets and especially animations with the train the potential is fantastic. The train has to be one of the most detailed system sets they've so far done!