Sign in to follow this  
oDDerFisken

miniboat - HMS Surpise

Are you guys sure you're "amazed at the level of detail"? Shouldn't you be "surprised" at the level of detail"?

Oh, is that not a correct expression?

It sounded good to me, but my native language is Dutch.

Thanks for the advise Mr. Phes.

It is a correct expression but since the ship is called the HMS Surprise you should be surprised :-P

I am also "surprised" by the details on this mini boat... I like the piece he used for the mizzen topsail...

Very cool. I am not a huge fan of minis, but this one is very neat. I vote *y* for a mini, very surprising.

actully it is a correct expression, he just said that because through out master and commander, Jack Aurbery made really bad jokes abou the name of the ship nameley "Don't worry, we have surprise on our side" just before they attack the acheron or something....

It is a correct expression but since the ship is called the HMS Surprise you should be surprised :-P

Ok, now I understand :-D

actully it is a correct expression, he just said that because through out master and commander, Jack Aurbery made really bad jokes abou the name of the ship nameley "Don't worry, we have surprise on our side" just before they attack the acheron or something....

Indeed, I remember this from my favorite movie!

I am also "surprised" by the details on this mini boat... I like the piece he used for the mizzen topsail...

A 4x2 plate? Not very surprising at all - same as the fore and main tops'ls in fact. ;-)

A 4x2 plate? Not very surprising at all - same as the fore and main tops'ls in fact. ;-)

Maybe he meant the spanker sail on the mizzen mast.

I noticed, the ballast is well done. WOuldn't it be interesting to stick a bunch of these together and play ESPG with them...hehee.

A nice little MOC (pun intended :-| ). Thanks for posting this.

God Bless,

Nathan

No... A triangle like flag... According to a pic I saw on the internet, it is called mizzen sail.. But according to the sail plan on the box of a model ship, it's called mizzen topsail(driver). And I just discovered this must be a mistake because nr. 1 and nr. 3 are both called mizzen topsail... I mean't mizzen sail *sweet*

Don't we have a bunch of threads with labeled diagrams of all the components of these old ships?

I suppose we should find and move them to the Pirate & Colonial History sub-forum so they're easily accessed.

This is where a dedicated Moderator would come in handy...

A nice little MOC (pun intended :-| ). Thanks for posting this.

God Bless,

Nathan

What pun?

I HATE Puns :-O .

No... A triangle like flag... According to a pic I saw on the internet, it is called mizzen sail.. But according to the sail plan on the box of a model ship, it's called mizzen topsail(driver).

You don't happen to have pictures of these do yer?

You don't happen to have pictures of these do yer?

7771-1.1167276630.jpg

If you see the triangular like, blue fin (it is actually not a triangle... but I digress) on the fish or the triangular like black flap on the sea vehicle, that would be the part used for the sail that I think would be under discussion. It is on the back of the mizzen mast, but I have often heard of that sail referred to as the 'spanker' sail. I guess it is similar in meaning to a driver sail, but not exactly the same... anyhow, I think there is a white piece like that aft rigged on the mizzen mast!

Have a look!

surprise02.jpg