cunningfox99

REVIEW - Halloween Accessory Set (850487)

Hello guys, I'm Robin and I'm a AFOL. I'm new around here and this will be my first review.

I ordered the Haunted House (10228) along with free Zombie Car (40076) from Lego Store UK. I noticed another cheap Halloween Set was also just released (850487) for £10.00 so I grabbed that too, my Quidco cashback will cover the cost of that. I thought a grave in the grounds of my Haunted House was a must. Unfortunately my Haunted House set is a christmas gift from my wife so I have had to put that away for now.

Name: Halloween Accessory Set

Set Number: 850487

Pieces: 58

Price: £9.99

Ages: 6+

Minifigures: 3

Theme: Monster Fighters

Year of Release: 2012

The Halloween set comes in a plastic retail case, very nice graphics on the bottom half and the minifigures are on display on the top half. Personally, I like the presentation of the set, it's small so it's never going to grab you with the size of the box, but the minifigures on display is pretty cool.

img_3817.jpg

The rear of the box shows the same picture of the completed set but this time the witch is also on show.

img_3818.jpg

All items are packaged in a plastic inlay so no worries about crushed instructions with this set.

img_3820.jpg

All items:

img_3824.jpg

You receive 3 mini figures; a zombie with radio and briefcase, a witch with broom and a ghost in chains. The detailing on all three is very good, I personally love the chains the ghost comes with, they are pretty neat, and of course it is glow in the dark.

img_3823.jpg

Unique items : I liked the name on the headstone of the grave along with the cat and toad, every wicked witch needs a cat and a toad!

img_3825.jpg

img_3826.jpg

Build: Well it's a small set, the build lasts about 5-10 minutes, relatively simple. The sloping brown 1x1 triangular bricks can be annoying to ground properly with my fat fingers but I think the headstone looks really cool, the vines and bat on top give it a real neat authentic haunted graveyard look.

Completed Build:

img_3834.jpg

img_3835.jpg

img_3836.jpg

My Ratings

Value: 10/10 - The minfigures are brilliant and 3 for £10 is value in anybody's book.

Design: 9/10 - The details in the head stone and additional pieces are brilliant, very authentic look to the small set.

Playability: 8/10 - Not much you can play with in this set IMO, but it fits in with the Monster Hunter theme and would work with more bigger sets in this theme.

Parts: 9/10 - Nice colours, good design, a few nice parts.

Overall: 9 / 10 - If you can lay your hands on one (Lego store online (UK) appears sold out already) I think it's cracking value for money.

Lego Store: 10 / 10 - Bought on Saturday, dispatched and delivered from the Netherlands by Friday morning. Very good service, packed fantastically, not one mark on any 3 of the sets in the large box, lots of bubble wrap.

along with the cat and toad, every wicked witch needs a cat and a toad!

If only she really did have a cat. I love the Lego cat. That there critter in the set happens to be a rat. Far more common and not as cute.

Thank you for this excellent review. :wink: The minifigures look great and the grave itself is well-detailed.

I just have one thing that I want to point out: the "cat" is actually a mouse. Some people just get confused since the rat/mouse is so big in size.

I just noticed the "I'm new" part of the review, and I have a feeling I should add to my first post: welcome to Eurobricks, Robin, and nice review!

Welcome to EB!

Nice review for a set I was on the fence about. Now I will get it for sure. The zombie is great especially since I missed out on S1 zombie. We all need more ghosts. The tombstone will look great along side the haunted house and/or the zombies set.

Thank you for this excellent review. :wink: The minifigures look great and the grave itself is well-detailed.

I just have one thing that I want to point out: the "cat" is actually a mouse. Some people just get confused since the rat/mouse is so big in size.

Ha ha, thats one big rat!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Welcome! Just one question for you, if I may, can the minifigures be disassembled or are they glued together?

- Michael

Yes all 3 minifigures come apart at the waist..

The witch, with her dress, and the ghost, with it's white bottom half, do not have tradditional legs, more like blocks, but these come apart from the torso. The witch has some detailing on her "legs".

The zombie has normal lego legs.

Nice review, 'cunningfox99'! :sweet:

I like that new bat-enveloped letter. I probably will pick this set up and put it in my Monster Fighters display, as it never hurts to have some cool figures.

Its a really ncie set, thanks for the Review this will go well with the 3 S1 Zombies I already have and the Haunted Mansion I plan on getting for christmas, one thing I don't understand is why give a zombie a Radio? Its the strangest part of the set for me it just seems so out of place.

Cheers

I agree with you that this is a great little set. I had the collectibles already, but lacked the ghost. The zombie, of course, is a reboot, and therefore just all the more interesting, too, so only the witch was an unneccessary addition for me personally. I'm disappointed in the quality of the suitcase in my particular version, though - the clutch power of the handle is very weak.

I got this recently as I decided not to buy the Haunted House but wanted at least one ghost/additional zombie. Be warned that while the box lists components from a variety of locations it seems the figures are of the cheap Chinese plastic variety. The legs on my zombie are particularly disappointing as they are very loose.

I got this off a reseller today to complement my Haunted House. Built it pretty quickly but I discovered a couple of problems:

1) the briefcase handle is too small for Lego hands, so they don't stay in the zombie's grip

2) the witch's bottom half keeps falling off, with minimal movement

Is anyone else facing this problems? Or did I just get a crappy set by chance? And is there anything I can do about it?

I got this off a reseller today to complement my Haunted House. Built it pretty quickly but I discovered a couple of problems:

1) the briefcase handle is too small for Lego hands, so they don't stay in the zombie's grip

2) the witch's bottom half keeps falling off, with minimal movement

Is anyone else facing this problems? Or did I just get a crappy set by chance? And is there anything I can do about it?

I have exactly same issues as urs. Looks like it is a production Fault in all these sets.

Edited by VintageLegoEra

I have exactly same issues as urs. Looks like it is a production Fault in all these sets.

Is there a point in complaining to Lego? Figured I'd ask first before I try. Hard to make the witch fly around on the broomstick if her bottom's going to fall off every single time

Edited by Jern92

Is there a point in complaining to Lego? Figured I'd ask first before I try. Hard to make the witch fly around on the broomstick if her bottom's going to fall off every single time

I never tried calling LEGO cos once i built it i put it for display.

Try calling them and explain to them and let me know their answer/solution.

Cheers

I never tried calling LEGO cos once i built it i put it for display.

Try calling them and explain to them and let me know their answer/solution.

Cheers

They said they'd send me a new black briefcase, but they can't replace the witch. Oh well, good enough.