Just brought my first 3 bedroom house which some of you might know how hard that is to do in New Zealand, so this bedroom will be dedicated to my collection. Just finished moving everything from my old place. The 5 big containers contain all made up sets and pretty much everything else is boxes of parts which I have to sort and store in storage trays/containers. Just brought a new desk to build on and hopefully when I have finished there will be 5 display cases full of sets. I need to cull the collection abit though so now I have to go through all the set and see what I will keep, what I will sell and what I will dismantle for parts. Will keep you guys updated on the progress.

2009_021500011.jpg

2009_021500022.jpg

2009_021500033.jpg

Lots of very nice collections, maybe one day I'll have enough to post a small collection picture. Just started Lego again and still trying to decide what direction to go, after seeing all 22 pages, I might be leaning towards the Technic side of the house.

After 5 months in the new house I have finally got my new build area built! It's not very organised, but it's ready to be. Soon I will be able to start building stuff again. And catch up on some of the "other people's models" that I want to build. It's a wardrobe-sized box that opens out and has a build area in the gap. It's about 1900x780x1200, but once opened it's bigger. And of course the wooden floor in our house is not flat or level, so once I got it inside I had to move the blocks that hold up the build area so that at least is level. But when "closed" you can see just how warps the floor it's sitting on is - on the concrete floor of my workshop it was almost perfect. I might have to get a sheet of 25mm plywood or something to put under it, because it's at the foot of my bed and that gap is going to annoy me.

open2_thm.jpg open3_thm.jpg folded-up_thm.jpg

(thumbs should be clickable)

Edited by Moz

@Moz Wow, That is amazing Moz! :classic: Nice job :thumbup:

I just built this workbench, I got it standing yesterday. I plan to do some more work and add on to it but this is what it looks like so far. Its major step up from my previous LEGO building spots which was a small table along with my bed.

005_workbench.jpg

I just built this workbench... was a small table along with my bed.

Thanks. Yes, space is an issue. Trying to build on the dining room table drove me nuts, I'd just get set up and someone would demand to use the space. And it was too small! One thing I find handy on small areas is to put a towel on the table first, so little parts don't bounce and roll.

That's clever idea with the towel. My space saving solution came after I finished eating a pie one day. And ever since then I like to use pie pans as a parts tray to hold my loose parts. I have about 8 pie pans. The great thing about aluminum pie pans is that there flexible enough to bend so you can dump everything in a bag or a box but strong enough to hold a bunch of parts at once.

Just installed brand new shelves to display a part of my collection. And some pictures with all my sets.

16681247473_d0418c00a9_c.jpg

17299664492_242d136944_c.jpg

17113956270_c29cbe8179_z.jpg

open2_thm.jpg open3_thm.jpg folded-up_thm.jpg

Hi Moz

Nice cabinet that you have there :thumbup:

I have always liked the idea of 'moving' furniture.

Where does the front working surface go when you close it up? Is it hinged, and just fold up, or is it a separate piece that you have to remove and store somewhere?

Which plastic containers are you using? Back home I was using Fischer containers, which look similar to yours.

One thing that I learned a long time ago is that houses aren't square - the floors and walls are wavy, and sometimes the rooms are trapezoids rather than rectangles, so you always have to measure every dimension to be sure.

I don't have a still photo but here is a quick video showing some of the models I currently have built.

It would be nice if you have some kind of write up with your thoughts about those MOCs comparing the building experience, final outcome etc. It's an impressive collection...

I don't have a still photo but here is a quick video showing some of the models I currently have built.

The cars in the top left corner (yellow, white, black) I do not recognize. Can you provide some more details?

OSU = Ohio State University?

Edited by DrJB

The cars in the top left corner (yellow, white, black) I do not recognize. Can you provide some more details?

OSU = Ohio State University?

The white one is Crowkiller's Phantasm Twin Turbo.

The black car is Crowkiller's American Muscle Car.

The yellow car is Jurgen Krooshoop's Sunbeam Corvette.

:classic:

I have always liked the idea of 'moving' furniture. Where does the front working surface go when you close it up?

It's a separate piece, as it's wider than the fixed part of the wardrobe. There are small blocks holding it up and pins on the front corners to lock the hinged sections in place. That way I can have them open slightly past 90° as well. That one piece of 600x1800 gluelam timber (ie, made from small bits glued together) was the single most expensive part of the build - even the 2440x1220x6mm sheet of marine ply that's the backplane was cheaper.

A big hint if you ever build stuff like this is to build it around the 1200x2400 dimensions of plywood sheets.I normally do, except that years ago when I made the wooden trays they were 610mm long for some important reason, I suspect I was bridging a 600mm gap. Now, of course, two of them fitting into a (1200mm less two 12mm side walls) gap is important, but cutting the ends off and re-gluing everyting is something I'm not sure I'm ready to do yet, as it would make the end compartments of both trays unusably tiny (in one case the compartment is exactly a 10-axle wide, so "10 axle less 20mm" would not work).

Also, the first cuts on a 2400x1220 sheet of 3mm plywood were hard, and harder because my toy-size Proxxon tablesaw is completely not designed for that :)

Which plastic containers are you using? Back home I was using Fischer containers, which look similar to yours.

Yep, Fischer. Bunnings sell cheaper containers that look similar but are very slightly smaller on the inside... so the compartments are nearly 16 studs long and nearly 6 studs wide. Which is very annoying. So I sold those cheap so someone who didn't care, and pay the slight premium for the Fischer ones (that are also made locally, which is nice).

I'm well aware that no house is ever square, and I've built enough bookshelves to know that floors always slope away from walls. I'd even allowed for that, there's a separate base support (removable so if I get a concrete floor I can add 6 more castors and have the whole thing mobile), and that slopes ~3° down away from the wall. Not enough, as it turns out. And the floor itself is not a plane, it bumps in multiple directions.

The good news is that I have mostly populated the wooden trays, so I can start building. Finally!

Edited by Moz

Finally got around to taking a photo of my collection.

16719042853_0911a93b76_c.jpgPANO_20150502_130003 by veryrusty82, on Flickr

Had to take a panorama of my rumpus room. Two and a half of the walls are covered by Ikea Expedit shelves. The top three layers of cubes are reserved for lord business my collection, while the bottom three are for my son's system lego.

As for my building space, it's on my couch, with my two containers of parts.

@veryrusty

What car is the second to the right on the middle shelf?

That's my holden ute moc. There's a topic about it on euro bricks somewhere, just not easy to find from the phone. You can also see more photos of it on my Flickr.

Here's my unopened collection 2013-2015 (still waiting for space) :

I love this pic! :wub: