CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

Yes, I don't have the Obliterator but in the Vermin Vaporizer the ground vehicle is called a "Mobile laboratory", the mini car is called "Battle buggy" and the mech is called... "Mec" (Not sure if that's intentional or a misspelling)

Cool, thank you. :sweet: I like that they went to the trouble of naming each vehicle. It makes things seem more complete and properly organised.

As I wanted to know what the vehicles were called I did some looking around for back of box info and checked official set descriptions and have compiled this short list for reference.

I can't find pictures of the box back for three of the summer wave but I think we can assume that Billy Starbeam will have another 'speeder' and Jack Fireblade a 'flyer'. Chuck Stonebreaker's little vehicle could be a 'speeder', a 'flyer' or a 'hovercraft'. Anyway I've done my best to unite any differing descriptions. I'll update this post when the missing info becomes available.

Winter wave:

70701 Swarm Interceptor - Speedy Interceptor agile flyer + Missile Turret.

70702 Warp Stinger - Speeder-bike.

70703 Star Slicer - Armoured Car + Attack Flyer mini-jet.

70704 Vermin Vaporizer - Mobile Laboratory + Battle Buggy + Mighty Mech.

70705 Bug Obliterator - Space Devastator swift attack ship + Ground Assault Unit armoured rover.

Summer wave:

70706 Crater Creeper - ??

70707 CLS-89 Eradicator Mech - ??

70708 Hive Crawler - ??

70709 Galactic Titan - Deep Space Destroyer + Planetary Defender.

Polybag:

30230 Mini-mech - Mini-mech

What a great looking second wave! :wub: I really hope this theme lasts, cause they are putting out great sets and figs.

Truth to be told, I'm half-hoping Chima get's cancelled next year so Galaxy Squad has room to grow. And if we compare the last space theme that survived for over a year (to see if Galaxy Squad could continue), that was Mars Mission. First year of Mars Mission vs Galaxy Squad? No contest right?

If there's a third wave I hope it concentrates on structures rather than vehicles. All the box art and the GS minisite show those alien planet (the name of which I know I've seen somewhere but can't find again) city buildings in the background I'm interested in that culture too. Is it abandoned or have all the citizen's been turned into insectoids or been eaten? It's a possible direction now that both the GS and insectoids have plenty of stuff to fight each other with. Give them somewhere to battle it out I say.

Edited by Jargo

There's a new game online with Planets and whatnot. I's almost as fun as the platform style Mummy Quest game (although this is not platform style.) http://galaxysquad.l...ug-battle/game/

Here are some of the cheats I've found:

GGRR Kitty Blast

OGOB Human Detection Mode

OOOB Rapid Fire Shot

ROGB Windshield

RRRR Party Time

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

If there's a third wave I hope it concentrates on structures rather than vehicles. All the box art and the GS minisite show those alien planet (the name of which I know I've seen somewhere but can't find again) city buildings in the background I'm interested in that culture too. Is it abandoned or have all the citizen's been turned into insectoids or been eaten? It's a possible direction now that both the GS and insectoids have plenty of stuff to fight each other with. Give them somewhere to battle it out I say.

Based on the background image of the official site it would appear that the setting takes place on a remote moon-like satellite close to Earth, although the moon can be seen orbiting Earth. This is normal for LEGO, as the physics of space are broadened (during Mars Mission, a spherical Earth could be seen from Mars' surface on the box art).

Interesting observation Jargo. Compared to the alien structure found in the Galactic Titan set, the structures you mentioned on the box art look nothing like buggoid architecture. My guess is that the invasion is focused on a human colony, but I would love to see a retaliatory invasion on the alien buggoid home planet, or a colony similar.

Edited by Apollo

Truth to be told, I'm half-hoping Chima get's cancelled next year so Galaxy Squad has room to grow. And if we compare the last space theme that survived for over a year (to see if Galaxy Squad could continue), that was Mars Mission.

Don't forget Space Police III, which lasted two years, and three waves. :wink:

No offense, but I think the Summer wave is the last Galaxy Squad wave. Though, I was wrong last time...

Truth to be told, I'm half-hoping Chima get's cancelled next year so Galaxy Squad has room to grow. And if we compare the last space theme that survived for over a year (to see if Galaxy Squad could continue), that was Mars Mission. First year of Mars Mission vs Galaxy Squad? No contest right?

Don't worry. That won't happen any time soon. Chima is going until 2015, as planned. :sweet::devil:

-Sci

Has anyone read the orange team Bio yet? They metion a new brood about to hatch, and theres metion of a Hive Mother.

A possible third wave? or just the hive crawler?

I think that just refers to the hive crawler, Galactic Titan and the pink pods containing mosquitoid larva. but the Hive mother could well be the new 'armoured' mosquitoid I suppose. Bit crappy if it is. I want a maxifig hive mother. something meaty and fighting mean. that new 'armoured' mosquitoid is just too small to fit the role.

Don't forget Space Police III, which lasted two years, and three waves. :wink:

No offense, but I think the Summer wave is the last Galaxy Squad wave. Though, I was wrong last time...

It's hard to know. LEGO plans the subsequent waves for themes FAR in advance, so at this point, GS's future is already set in stone. It has to do with sales projections, available time and resources for the designers, etc. I'd like to think that GS's relatively high marketability would lead LEGO to give it a bit more love before replacing it, but only time will tell.

Don't count on Chima getting cancelled though. LEGO's invested so much into that theme that we'll be seeing it around for some time to come. Not that it really matters - I don't see Chima as a direct competitor with GS?

Just in terms of funding. More funding for Chima would mean less funding for Galaxy Squad. And it was mostly a joke anyway.

Edited by DraikNova

Man, these look awesome. Sadly, I probably won't have the money for any more (I got the two smallest of this wave). Out of curiosity, why is everyone referring to the new minifigure as an "armored mosquitoid?" The only real thing it has in common with the mosquitoid is the antennae--no wings, no compound eyes, no proboscis, etc. It looks more like a new kind of bug--a roach, perhaps.

Fan names aren't supposed to make sense. It's just what we thought it was when we saw early pics and we've just continued to call it that.

Man, these look awesome. Sadly, I probably won't have the money for any more (I got the two smallest of this wave). Out of curiosity, why is everyone referring to the new minifigure as an "armored mosquitoid?" The only real thing it has in common with the mosquitoid is the antennae--no wings, no compound eyes, no proboscis, etc. It looks more like a new kind of bug--a roach, perhaps.

I agree. I don't think the name fits at-all. If it's official, then I'll abide by it, but it lacks any mosquito-traits. I agree that Roach is a closer insect/arthropod (It has four eyes, so it's not actually completely an insect) It's much closer to the Buggoid actually. I wouldn't even mind calling it "Armoured Buggoid." But until and official name appears, Roachoid'll do well, for me at least.

So, I guess now that I'm in a talkative mood, I'll share my thoughts on the new wave. I'll preface this by saying that I've somewhat gotten over my intense dislike of the Insectoid-faction's flagship from last wave, the "Warp-Stinger" (not the Mantis, which I'd consider the Dragon to the Warp Stinger's Big-Bad) (sorta. It's not really a big-bad or a flagship, but probaably one of the bigger ships that the buggers have lots of) (which, it's safe to say, is now the "Hive-Crawler" [the flagship/big-bad (Bigger-bad?), I mean, not the bearer of my disappointment that the theme's not a closer re-boot of the original, and superior Insectoids theme]) It's by no means my favorite set, but I get the aesthetic they were going for. It looks a bit like a Zerg Mutalisk actually, and given the similarities between the species, I can imagine that the designers were inspired by, or at least aware of the mutalisk. I still think it could be done better, but I'm just beating a dead norse. It's not bad.

Overall, I like this wave--especially since it seems to be heavier on the Arthropod Aliens then the previous, and I love me the heck out of these arthopodoids. Say what I will about the theme as a whole (especially when compared to [the vastly superior] Insectoids), the bad-bugs are spectacular looking, particularly the "Buggoid." Their ships too aren't bad. It's mostly the "Warp-stinger" that I'm not overly fond of I really love the dragonfly and Swarmer from the first wave. I'm going to purchase another two of the later, I think. I still want the dragonfly, but I don't know how I'll get it without getting the set. but, I digress. This wave features the inevitable "Hive" of the Buggers, and some lovely structures of theirs. I think my favorite addition to the theme has to be the eggs and larvae. Simply delightful, although, unless they're parasitoids, I don't exactly see the practicality of launching them into combat, but more on that later, I suppose.

Alright, I'll start with the "Crater Crawler."

"Crater Crawler," 20$--First off, I love the name. It's really reminiscent of the holy Insectoids theme, which I appreciate. ("Warp Stinger" and "Space Swarmer" are too.) Unfortunately, my glowing review of this particular set ends there. No, I do not hate or dislike this set, but I don't need it. If I can get the green-guy from a polybag, I will completely skip this set, because the Space Swarmer already serves as a smaller vessel for a buggoid, and the Swarmer's better looking cheaper and probably more practical in universe. It's not big enough to be a power on its own and its two expensive and inferior to the Swarmer to warrant purchasing in numbers. It's stuck in a middle-ground that doesn't do it any favors. I think I'd have preferred a Swarmer analogue vs. a human ship, as opposed to a stand-alone Arthropodoid vessel. All that said, the ship looks good. I'm happy to see it's got six legs, and it looks like an ant or termite, which is also cool. The human's ship is such a sad after-thought that even Billy'd pitty him. How are you supposed to defend anything with that floating toilet? Did the ejector seat accidentally go off, leaving you to fight this monster on your own? You're toast, my friend, or, well, whatever bugs eat. Now, what could make this set go from meh to need? If they included a cocoon that'd give this ship glorious purpose and make me want to army-build it even. As it is though, I think I'll rank it near the Warp Stinger on my favorite bug ships. It's disappointing. I wanted to be the one who said "I love it. What are you guys talking about? It's great!" It's notreally.

"Eradicator Mech," 40$--Zerg Rush KEKEKE!!!! I love the swarm! That's just so great! The bugs look really great, and I love that they're so similar but different. Beautiful work there! The cocoon piece in that colour as an abdomen is just brilliant! If I could purchase a set with four of those and nothing else for like 25$-30$, I'd do it in a heart-beat. Sadly though, this Swarm set comes with a crappy Mech piloted by my least favorite faction. The arms are horribly stumpy and the head-ship on is comically huge and crappy looking. Without the head, the mech looks much better, but that mostly-exposed robot won't last long like that. Also, I am disappointed that it doesn't feature any bugger minifigures. They're supposed to be the swarm, not the mess of human figures one'd accrue purchasing all these sets! Since it's 40$ I don't think I'll get it, but if I see it knocked down to 30$ I'll consider it... For the bug-ships... You monster.

"Hive Crawler," 70$--I'm going to have to be somewhat negative on this because I love it. We finally have a proper flag-ship now! Vive la Ruche! :devil: Not only is the vessel itself impressive, but the moving leg function is simply delicious. Not a flick-fire in sight either! And the baby catapult, while vicious, is delightful! I also like the bulbous appearance created by all those dome and slope pieces. The head does seem a little detached from the rest of the body, and the eyes do seem a bit large, but alittle modding could fix that up really well! The head itself is alittle weird looking, but it's not too bad. The turrets are also a bit strange in their placement. I think I'd make it just one and put it where the grey control panel on the abdomen is. I'd also try to extend the dark red "wing cover" down towards the base of the thorax bulge a bit, to make fill the spot where the turrets were. Or maybe not. I'd have to see it in person before deciding, but I'm definitely getting this... Somehow. Oh, and I almost forgot (like everyone always does), the Red team features here! Billy's long ship is hilariously pathetic. I prefer his smaller one. At least it looked good. This one's too long with too little wing action, or post billy anything. It's like he's driving the front part of a limo, without the back, or maybe just a rail-gun. :laugh: His robot suffers the opposite fate, in what looks like a space hang-glider. With that much wing, it doesn't look all that fast. But, I'm glad they're here. I'll finally get the red team! And two of those sexxy energy swords in trans light blue... And two in dark red! :wub: Yes! That Roachoid! (or, more likely, Insect Queen, but here's to hoping we'll get a different one of those.) He's beautiful, and looks like a larger Buggoid, which in turn look like grown up larvae, furthering my speculation that the mosquitoids are another species added to the collective Hive. (Maybe even post-humans :sick: :devil:) The Larvae too are great. I don't think the wing underneath the legs is cool, but the colour of that feather piece is sweet! I'l just not put it on. I just realized I was looking at it upside down. It's got eyes on both sides of its head. At 70$ though, I think I'd like an extra Buggoid or something. Lego's really stingy on figs in this theme. :sceptic:That said, I am getting this set. Thank you very much.

"Galactic Titan," 100$--No kidding. The name fits like a glove. A really big glove for a really big hand. This set has it all! A badass human Tank and gun-ship, a cocoon, an egg, an alien structure, two aliens, and a centipede-like alien vehicle. What more could you ask for? 100$. :blush: I really love this set. The Human ship/ships are Perfect. Literally my favorite Human ships. Especially the gun-ship which rocks those colours like a hurricane. I usually don't care much about the human sets, but damn. The structure's alright. It's nothing to kill for, but it serves its purpose as a holder for an egg and a cocoon! The quantity of figs is good for once! One more Insect'd be nice, but I'm not complaining. It's not like they're so cheap that they use the same body pieces for all the troopers and the same legs for all the aliens. Maybe if they had a battlepack or something I'd stop complaining. Anyway, The balance works in this set. What doesn't work is that I don't have enough money to buy it, I don't think, and I already have 2* the blue team. I hope I'll get it, but i'm not holding my breath.

Overall, not bad. First wave may have been better for small sets, (Warp stinger notwithstanding) but this wave's big sets take the cake!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

"Crater Crawler," 20$--First off, I love the name. It's really reminiscent of the holy Insectoids theme, which I appreciate.

Crater Crawler? You mean Crater Creeper, haha.

Crater Crawler from 1985:

6826-1.jpg

Crater Crawler from 1988:

6885-1.jpg

And while we're at it, how about the Crater Cruiser from 1995:

1787-1.jpg

All before Insectoids Cosmic Creeper (but that one's most likely the main influence)

Crater Crawler? You mean Crater Creeper, haha.

All before Insectoids Cosmic Creeper (but that one's most likely the main influence)

Whoops, yeah I did. I realize now that my review is riddled with typos, but the name "Crater Creeper" struck a nostalgic string in my heart.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Great reviews on the Summer wave. I'm also a huge Insectoid fan, the Arachnoid Star Base was actually the set that got me back into Legos; a few years ago I decided to try to get it again having always wanted it as a child, and that's how I discovered Bricklink and ended up building a huge collection that consists of all the sets I always wanted as a child. My space collection, which comprises 1/4 of my collection, consists mostly of Insectoids sets, and now some Galaxy Squad ones as well. I'm only interested in the bug vehicles, but they go surprisingly well with the Insectoids vehicles as well. Insectoids will always be my favorite theme, but I really like the Galaxy Squad line as well.

Truth to be told, the Mosquitoid shares more features in terms of the head with both the Larvae as well as the new fig. For one thing it has antennae. Also, the Buggoids have much more bulbous heads. The most important factor are the wings however. Based on that I would say that the Larvae and the Mosquitoid are the same "species", but that the new fig is a separate kind.

Truth to be told, the Mosquitoid shares more features in terms of the head with both the Larvae as well as the new fig. For one thing it has antennae. Also, the Buggoids have much more bulbous heads. The most important factor are the wings however. Based on that I would say that the Larvae and the Mosquitoid are the same "species", but that the new fig is a separate kind.

I suppose you're right about the antennae. That's why I don't want to call it an advanced buggoid, but he's still more similar to the buggoid than the mosquitoid.

Type----------Eyes-----Type----------Eye Location--------------------Mouth---------Wings--Antenae

Larvae--------4---------Plain-----------top and back of head, front--4 mandibles----Yes-----No

Buggoid-------4---------Plain-----------side of head--------------------4 mandibles----No------No

Mosquitoid----2--------Compound---side and front of head--------proboscis-------Yes----Yes

Roachoid-----4---------Plain-----------front of head--------------------2 mandibles-----No-----Yes

4 eyes and mandibles in all but the mosquitoid. I think that facial features are more important than wings, and who know, the roachoid could have wings underneath those wing-cover-like segments. Maybe Buggoids and Roachoids lose their wings after growing up. I'd believe that more than a larvae with 4 eyes and four mandibles losing an eye and and those mandibles for a proboscis.

~Insectoid Aristocrat