CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

Found a well-stocked fresh supply of 30231 Space Insectoid poly bags at my TRU last night. And with the BOGO 50% currently running I was able to grab 2 of them for $5.25 USD. Great way to start a green Galaxy Patrol army-- you could get 8 of those Chuck Stonebreakers for $21.00!!

That trans light blue modified tile with clip in the Deep Space Destroyer cockpit doesn't appear to have a sticker on it but it looks like it should, as a display for the co-pilot seated behind the pilot. I can't make out if it's one or two stickers applied to the cockpit canopy bubble and if it's two then perhaps one is intended for the blue tile with clips.

Nope, there's no sticker on the tr. light blue tile on the box either and all the stickers on the canopy are where they are now as well. Oh, and the little Insectoid base has a minor launch function.

Edited by DraikNova

Does anybody have word on a European release date yet for these sets? The Cardiff Lego Store mentioned February or March for UK.

I'm already sold on the Galactic Titan, but it's cool to see some new pictures "in the flesh". Such a stunning set at a reasonable price.

After reading LEGO's 2012 financial results, I am struck by how low original ideas rank for the company. The top earners were 1) City, 2) Star Wars, 3) NinjaGo and 4) Friends. NinjaGo was an original IP, and I'm glad that it turned out to be profitable, but there's no mention of any other original IPs.

I think there's a correlation between this and the fact that all of the Cuusoo projects to reach 10,000 have been licensed (besides Space Troopers, which struggled for a long time to reach 10k).

I wish there was a solid business incentive for investing in LEGO Space like they did in the 90s. Oh well.

I'm already sold on the Galactic Titan, but it's cool to see some new pictures "in the flesh". Such a stunning set at a reasonable price.

Yeah, normally the price is stunning as well.

And I agree, it's a shame that original ideas never seem to be as popular as licensed ones. You'd think people would want new ideas, not just remade old ones.

You'd think people would want new ideas, not just remade old ones.

Never heard of the entire entertainment industry then, eh...

But if Galaxy Squad is a redo of Insectoids then it's not original and the trope of humans versus mutant insects is aeons old. Truth be told there are no original ideas left. Just the retelling or re-imagining of them. How well someone does that is the key to success.

Star Wars is a spaghetti western in space. at the time it was made westerns were the staple of movie theatres and sci-fi had died a death. the success of Star Wars hinges on it's thematic resemblance to the westerns that were popular at the time. True it kickstarted a new wave of sci-fi but if George Lucas has any genius it was in having his sci-fi seem like the stuff that was currently popular.

Right now if you really look at what's popular it's all zombies and vampires, slash horror, crime drama, rehashed superheroes and anthropomorphised cute animals/inanimate objects. Threading through all that is the resurgance of the western. Sci-fi is failing somewhat. You've got rehashes of ancient franchises like Star Trek, space soldiers versus hulkingly huge aliens, or the tired old trope of man versus machine. There is nothing new.

Getting back to Galaxy Squad, it's a refreshing take on an old idea but to be honest it's never going to compete with movie franchises. The juggernaut that is the Star Wars franchise is set to eclipse everything over the next few years. Any in-house sci-fi theme that Lego produce is only going to appeal to die-hard long term Lego fans. I'd wager that Galaxy Squad is the last in-house space theme we'll see for a long time. Which is sad because I'm sick of Star Wars.

Getting back to Galaxy Squad, it's a refreshing take on an old idea but to be honest it's never going to compete with movie franchises. The juggernaut that is the Star Wars franchise is set to eclipse everything over the next few years. Any in-house sci-fi theme that Lego produce is only going to appeal to die-hard long term Lego fans. I'd wager that Galaxy Squad is the last in-house space theme we'll see for a long time. Which is sad because I'm sick of Star Wars.

I'd wager this isn't the "Life On Mars" of the 2010's; I believe LEGO is really beginning to reboot their Space properties compared to the beginning of the Space-hiatus from a little over ten years ago. We have a revisiting of the Space Police (which brought hints of Blacktron's return), and while the humans vs aliens conflict is becoming an overused concept in recent Space themes, LEGO is surely inventive enough to produce innovative themes in the future.

It's all in the imagination, and the LEGO community is vital in inspiring those ideas as they go from the designer desk to the store shelves.

After reading LEGO's 2012 financial results, I am struck by how low original ideas rank for the company. The top earners were 1) City, 2) Star Wars, 3) NinjaGo and 4) Friends. NinjaGo was an original IP, and I'm glad that it turned out to be profitable, but there's no mention of any other original IPs.

Um... Friends was an original IP when it was launched in in 2012. :tongue:

Edited by Zarkan

Friends is just a rehash of Belville and Paradisa though. It's nothing new or radical.

With a gap so large between the theme that inspired it and the current thing, you could say the same about NinjaGo.

Not really. The original Ninjas was a historical castle theme while Ninjago is a fantasy set on a distant planet with anthropomorphic snakes and futuristic vehicles.

I love this thread. Y'all are so passionate about this theme. :sweet:

This is gonna get you guys even more happy- look what I found at a Walmart in South Florida:

I love this thread. Y'all are so passionate about this theme. :sweet:

This is gonna get you guys even more happy- look what I found at a Walmart in South Florida:

*oh2* The Superman set! Cool! :tongue:

-Sci

DOOD, what's the price?

DANG IT! By the time I head out to the nearest Walmart, they'll be gone already!

Also, like always, I did video review it. For a quick sum up, the Mini Mech is cute, but what makes the set outstanding is the minifigure and the fact that it comes with an inverted tile!

^ I'd imagine, since we got a green and orange with this wave, we'll see a poly for the blue and red teams with the next wave. The question I have, though, is: Why no Buggoid/Mosquitoid polys thus far? That would make so much (more) sense! Maybe we'll see a battle pack.