CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

My photo editing skills are limited but I made this... :purrr:

foreveralone.jpg

Edited by Jargo

*Snip*

You put me to shame. :blush: And you did the meme right to-boot! :grin: I'd make it my avatar, but I need mah horsey for now.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I think the reason the Slicer doesn't have a page on the site is because it's an exclusive.

Is it really? A TRU or Target exclusive?

Nice photoshop skills there Jargo :laugh: Maybe LEGO will see it and give bill the love he deserves in wave 2.

Speaking of color schemes, is anyone else a little off-put by the use of ADU blue in the blue squaddies? They are the most prevalent set, and I think a deeper color would pop better.

My favorite color by FAR is the the Vermin Vaporizer green. I just think it looks so great. Next up would have to be the red, and then orange.

Speaking of color schemes, is anyone else a little off-put by the use of ADU blue in the blue squaddies? They are the most prevalent set, and I think a deeper color would pop better.

My favorite color by FAR is the the Vermin Vaporizer green. I just think it looks so great. Next up would have to be the red, and then orange.

I'm conflicted as far as that goes. First, I am happy to see that colour on anything other than a minifigure. However, I am don't love the colour on white in comparison to the other colours. It looks less... vibrant. I think the regular blue would have been a better choice. That way we'd have a new colour from the helmets too :grin: .

As for the other colours, I agree with you fully on the green. :wub: If only I liked that set as much as I like the colour scheme. (I do like it more than I did before, but the mech is still stinking it up for me.) I also love how well the more pastel green contrasts with the bright lime and earthy olive of the aliens... and you couldn't ask for a better contrast than green on red. I sort of wish the whole theme was green. (although, I prefer it as is because of the multitude of new colours for that helmet! Must. Collect. Them. All.) After green, red is my favorite. Red contrasts so well with the lime and olive of the bad guys and also just looks cool. I think Blue goes after Green for me though. Orange reminds me allot of MM. While I did not hate MM like some other memvbers do, I got tired of that colour-scheme rather quickly. Also, blue's such a nice colour.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Actually I was quite ecstatic when I found out that they were using the ADU blue for the blue squad, since that meant that I could use them to keep expanding my ADU ranks without having to rely on Brick Link.

I really like the way they've used the brighter and darker blue and green colours in those sets, rather than just using the regular blue and regular green across the board. Not that there's anything wrong with the red and orange sets, but that bright/dark variation is really nice.

I think the reason the Slicer doesn't have a page on the site is because it's an exclusive.

It really does line up... $40 (practically every exclusive set), and two non-exclusive hero figures and at least one exclusive villian figure (Zombies, Baxter set, Funhouse, ect).

It really does line up... $40 (practically every exclusive set), and two non-exclusive hero figures and at least one exclusive villian figure (Zombies, Baxter set, Funhouse, ect).

You're right, I guess the Star Slicer is gonna be an exclusive. That hadn't even occurred to me.

I'm wondering why they renamed the Space Mantis the Star Slicer. Space Mantis makes a bit more sense, even if it's not all that creative. Star Slicer sounds a little odd, like it's on a cooking show.

I figured as much. I hate exclusive-ness, so annoying.

snip

Spot on, haha!

Yeah, so we're back to how it was in the 70s-80s period of multicoloured good guys: classic space & futuron. This time they got it right when they included A GREEN ONE. I feel a new avatar coming on soon... :grin:

I like the inclusion of Dark Azure because it sort of suggests some narrative continuity with Alien Conquest, like Galaxy Squad is what the ADU became ten or twenty years later, after capturing alien spacecraft and reverse-engineering them to make their own ships.

I like that set. :tongue:

But I think a Billy meme could be pretty fun. I might go ahead and make an avatar for myself to show my support for our perpetually doomed Space buddy.

Use the one I have that Jargo made! We gotta spread the love for Billy!

Use the one I have that Jargo made! We gotta spread the love for Billy!

OK, I'm in with you guys on this one... I happen to have a faction that has red and white aircraft, so I was also rather disappointed with the lack of any Red team vehicles. :sadnew:

I like the inclusion of Dark Azure because it sort of suggests some narrative continuity with Alien Conquest, like Galaxy Squad is what the ADU became ten or twenty years later, after capturing alien spacecraft and reverse-engineering them to make their own ships.

Using the CMF figs you can also put together some signs of a Pink, White and Black squad (well assuming you don't consider the evil Spyrius guy as evil). Heck in hindsight "Galaxy Girl" seems to perfectly mesh with the GS theme.

I'm wondering why they renamed the Space Mantis the Star Slicer. Space Mantis makes a bit more sense, even if it's not all that creative. Star Slicer sounds a little odd, like it's on a cooking show.

All of the names in this theme are incredibly generic and non-descriptive. At least Star Slicer gives you something of a hint at the set's identity - it's the one with the big slicing arms. Vermin Vaporizer? Bug Obliterator? I can't even remember which one is which.

Using the CMF figs you can also put together some signs of a Pink, White and Black squad (well assuming you don't consider the evil Spyrius guy as evil). Heck in hindsight "Galaxy Girl" seems to perfectly mesh with the GS theme.

There's also dark blue-ish grey for anyone who wants to remove all signs of colour.

There's also dark blue-ish grey for anyone who wants to remove all signs of colour.

Well, there's just plain dark bley from the tail end of SP3. All the "commandos" had it.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Well, there's just plain dark bley from the tail end of SP3. All the "commandos" had it.

Lol that's what I just said you silly goose! :laugh:

Good for me that practically every non-constraction exclusive is available in local stores here in the Netherlands. Anyway, I'll be using the CMF Mech as a "low-rank" bot for the orange squad. I'm kind of sad they didn't make it either fully white or make it red.

All of the names in this theme are incredibly generic and non-descriptive. At least Star Slicer gives you something of a hint at the set's identity - it's the one with the big slicing arms. Vermin Vaporizer? Bug Obliterator? I can't even remember which one is which.

That's not really unique to this theme. Most action/adventure sets from the past couple of years have very nondescript names, even the good ones.

Kind of drives home the fact that this is a toy line, lol.

That's not really unique to this theme. Most action/adventure sets from the past couple of years have very nondescript names, even the good ones.

Kind of drives home the fact that this is a toy line, lol.

I've always assumed that's because hey need to feed a name to Marketing while the sets are still being developed and finalized, so they keep them as vague as possible. Whereas with licensed sets they are working from something specific. Just look at all of he MF names. Very vague. Obviously all they had decided on was which monster figs went with which sets. Not the scenes themselves. I mean "the crazy scientist"? Not the Mad Scientists Lab? Or simply The Zombies.

I've always assumed that's because hey need to feed a name to Marketing while the sets are still being developed and finalized, so they keep them as vague as possible. Whereas with licensed sets they are working from something specific. Just look at all of he MF names. Very vague. Obviously all they had decided on was which monster figs went with which sets. Not the scenes themselves. I mean "the crazy scientist"? Not the Mad Scientists Lab? Or simply The Zombies.

That's a very good speculation, I see no reason to disagree. It probably varies a bit from theme to theme, but I absolutely believe that the set names are sent to retail stores before the actual sets are finalized. LEGO also probably assumes that the set names aren't that important to their consumer base, and they would be right - I just kind of wish they had some more memorable ones.

That probably is it: Back in the good old days (mid-late 1980's and early '90s), we didn't have this "internet" thingy, so there wasn't as much pressure to get preliminary info out, and sets were available for AT LEAST two years, and themes usually lasted longer...

Back in them days, you had sets with awesome names like the Blacktron Battrax! Futuron Star Defender 200! Space Police (I) Galactic Peace Keeper! and other cool names. Now, you have sets being only available for a year (or less!) and themes that usually only last a year, two at most, unless they're licensed (Ninjago and Space Police III were the two BIG exceptions), and the names of the non-licensed themes (with the exception of, again, Ninjago and Space Police III) tend to be rather simplistic and, somewhat rushed.

Of course, I usually don't care because when I buy a set it either (a) gets built once, if at all, then added to the piece inventory or (b) moderately to heavily modified if I particularly like the design, with the minifigs being assigned to one of my pre-existing factions. My main criteria for set buying are (a) what kind of useful/interesting pieces does it have that I can't just get via PAB or easily Brick Link and (b) how useful the minifigs are for my collection, and I could care less about the "official" back story, even in licensed sets (I've bought at least 4 Hoth Rebel Battle packs just so I could use the troopers' torsos for the Federal Republic regular army and the sergeant's torso for the CSA Marines, and the Uruk-Hai battle pack just for the Orcs).

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much how it was when I was a kid, with the main exception that I would ALWAYS at least build the set according to the instructions at least once before dismantling it or modifying it....