CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

For me, the (only) redeeming part about the Star Slicer (Space Mantis) are those green blades it uses as arms. That perfectly catches the idea of a Mantis for me. That being said, my top three is:

1. Vermin Vaporizer

2. Warp Stinger.

3. Bug Obliterator

I'll agree with the first two, but my #3 is gonna have to be the Space Swarmer, which only narrowly edges out the Swarm Interceptor.

Well, I've been trying hard to like like this theme, and I really can't. The only thing I like about it is the new look for the aliens. Aside from that though, the ships are all meh. Warning: rant-ish.

The best alien ship is the dragonfly one featuring in the largest set. It successfully captures the creepy-crawly look with its multitude of legs and mandibles and wings. the wings are perfectly sized for the ship, and the lack of canopy makes it not-too bulky. The only problem I have with this set (aside from its price) is the repeat of the mosquito. It's my least favorite alien, and it's the most frequently appearing. I would be tempted to buy it if it had any other alien... because, yes, I'd be buying it for the figure.

My second favorite is the "beetle" from the smallest set. I'm okay with it, but there are several problems I find. 1. and most glaring, but the easiest fix= 3 mandible jaw, 4 legs. It doesn't look insectoid at all. :hmpf: 2. it's way too bulky for a mini-ship (which I guess it isn't really)

My third favorite? The after-thought ship from the second smallest set (the blue-team jet set). It's a great mini-ship, but it just doesn't seem to jibe with the other alien ships (which is OK because the others suck.)

The other Alien ships suck. I'll go through them in terms of least horrible.

Third worst of the remaining? The scorpion because it's an after-thought. It's terrible. It's billed as scorpion-like, but it's just not. It's not even insectoid. Please! Throw another leg on because it looks naked! That at-least. If you want to bill it as a scorpion, give it pincers or something. Ugh.

Second worst: The Mantis. It's all head and all trash. The actual legs are really weak. It's not horrible, but I don't like it. I don't like the shape, mostly; It's like a bad caricature of a mantis. I don't have a really legitimate complaint with it aside from a gut dislike of it. I'll might actually get this set, but it'd mostly be for the red Insectoid. The head looks fine, but the body's not big enough to hold it. I honestly expected worse though, considering the difficulty of capturing the shape of a mantis, and the concept of making a mantis shaped ship, so good job Lego!

THE ALL OUT WORST? The space mosquito. By. Far. From the moment I saw it in the comics I was traumatized. Even seeing it from behind scared me. I turns out my unspoken fears were legitimate. I turned off my dislike so that I would not have my judgement clouded on the rest of the sets, but none of the others made up for how bad this one was. I'll start with my biggest problem with this set, which is its shape. It is so head-heavy that it looks like a snake and not at all like a self respecting insect. ALMOST ALL ARTHROPODS HAVE LARGER THORAXES AND/OR ABDOMENS THAN HEADS. There are exceptions to that rule of course, but the mosquito is not one of them. I won't judge this by the fact that it doesn't look like a mosquito though. That would be both stupid and unfair. The only reason I judged the Mantis on that is that the Mantis is obviously supposed to look like a mantis. This does not look like anything. It looks like a snake with 2 legs. TWO LEGS. Two spindly, bizarre legs, ending in toes? :wacko: The head is really bad. The cockpit pieces are to blame. They force the head to be way too big, and don't serve much of an actual purpose in making the craft air-tight, or anything at all accept for being its "eyes." I don't even understand what's going on with the rest of the head. It doesn't work for me at-all. I don't like the shooter at the tail either. And, finally, the wings are way too small. Use another piece damn-it! that piece does not work on a ship that big! It looks more like gills than wings. :hmpf:

All in all, I do not like the Insectoid faction. The attempt to capture the insect-feel is really poorly executed. :sceptic: I also don't like the colour scheme. The bright lime and the dark red does not give me a spacey vibe. I'd have much rather had blue feature. I know "red is the colour of villains," but it doesn't work in this case. I want a cool, mechanical feeling, or even an organic look, but I'm not even sure what this look is supposed to inspire (probably closer to the latter, but it doesn't work.).

The Aliens themselves are really good looking. There are only two (one's a recolour), but they're both good. I like the beetle/arthropod alien better (and I like the red one best), but the mosquito, while gimmicky, is not bad.

I find the Human ships to be mostly uninspired, with the notable exception of the largest one, which I actually like. The ship's brilliant, the set is too expensive for me to buy, especially considering how bummed I am with all of the other sets.

The other exception is the truck/mech combo in the second largest set. I do not like this though. The truck is horribly front-heavy and the mech is just not good. I imagine it'd look OK with the mech inside the ship as a turret, but as-is, it's just a bad truck/tank. It'd work better if the back wheels had any sort of protection comparable to the front set.

I'm sorry for the rant. I've been holding in these bad feelings from the beginning but didn't want to say anything because I hadn't seen the whole picture yet. Now that I have, I can say that, even though I was really hopeful for this theme, I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would. These are just the worst of my thoughts. I will still buy some, because I actually do love the Insectoids. I will likely buy the smallest set, the second smallest and the mantis to get one of all of the Insectoids. Ironically, this means I'll only get humans from the blue-team. :laugh:. Like always, my thoughts will probably warm up to them when they show up in stores and on the Lego website. :blush:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

-snip-

I can understand not liking the sets, since it's just an opinion, but it's a little weird to me that you'd disaparage the Insectoids because they're not consistent with Earth insect biology. Everything you've said can be easily justified by the fact that these are indeed alien species with insect-like features, rather than mosquitos gone rogue.

I also have a hard time seeing why that would matter in any case... it's not like LEGO's paid much attention to scientific accuracy in the past. Were you expecting a theme about Galactic Special Ops teams fighting swarms of alien bugs to be realistic?

I can understand not liking the sets, since it's just an opinion, but it's a little weird to me that you'd disaparage the Insectoids because they're not consistent with Earth insect biology. Everything you've said can be easily justified by the fact that these are indeed alien species with insect-like features, rather than mosquitos gone rogue.

I also have a hard time seeing why that would matter in any case... it's not like LEGO's paid much attention to scientific accuracy in the past. Were you expecting a theme about Galactic Special Ops teams fighting swarms of alien bugs to be realistic?

It's not that they don't look like earth insects, but that they don't even look insectoid. Almost all of the original Insectoid ships did not look exactly like insects. Many had only four legs, or like the Celestial Stinger, no functional legs at all. But, they did capture the feel of insects/arthropods, Alien or otherwise, successively. I'm sorry my post was so negative. I had my hopes set too high, and my thoughts too tied to the original Insectoids theme. That said though, I can't bring myself to like most of the Insectoid ships as ships in general. The space mosquito, the flagship of these Insectoids, does not look spaceworthy, or battle worthy in any way. It's not streamlined and it's awkward in shape, and the two legs are just bizarre. The insects from starship troopers do not look like earth insects, but they are Insectoid. It's not fair to say these ships are not based off of Earth Insects, because they are. (especially the Mantis). Even the minifigures are clearly based off of earth arthropods (Mosquito and scorpion.) My problem with the two large ships is that they are both heavy-headed, without enough focus on the thorax/abdomen. They are front heavy. The one small ship I do not like is an after-thought, but does not look as good as the other after-thought ship. If it was more than an after-thought, I'd complain more about how it looks, but in this case it's little more than cannon-fodder to the tank. I think it would benefit from looking more like a scorpion, but if they made it something else, even not explicitly insect-like, I'd be happy too. Ultimately, I'm admittedly very biased because I was hoping for a more Insectoids like theme, when this is not that. :sceptic:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

It's not that they don't look like earth insects, but that they don't even look insectoid. Almost all of the original Insectoid ships did not look exactly like insects. Many had only four legs, or like the Celestial Stinger, no functional legs at all. But, they did capture the feel of insects/arthropods, Alien or otherwise, successively.

I think the difference isn't that they're less insectoid, just more cartoony and child-friendly. I can see these new Insectoids in an animated series very easily. Not so much the original Insectoids, which were much darker and creepier.

I'm sorry my post was so negative. I had my hopes set too high, and my thoughts too tied to the original Insectoids theme. That said though, I can't bring myself to like most of the Insectoid ships as ships in general. The space mosquito, the flagship of these Insectoids, does not look spaceworthy, or battle worthy in any way. It's not streamlined and it's awkward in shape, and the two legs are just bizarre.

The Warp Stinger is actually one of my favorite sets. It's not streamlined because it's a space ship and it doesn't need to be. I think you'd like it better if you compared it to Gradius, like I've been doing:

gradius-rebirth-20090309055224888_640w_1236646667.jpg

Notice how everything is very side-oriented, as in meant to be viewed from the side. I really think LEGO drew more inspiration from this than the Insectoids from the 90s. There's a lot more similarity.

The insects from starship troopers do not look like earth insects, but they are Insectoid. It's not fair to say these ships are not based off of Earth Insects, because they are. (especially the Mantis).

True, but loosely. The Space Police vehicles are based on the modern police, but they clearly took some artistic liberties in the design process to make them Sci-Fi. It seems that LEGO did the same thing to the Earth insects that inspired their set designs here. They seem bug-like enough to me.

Focus on the thorax/abdomen. They are front heavy. The one small ship I do not like is an after-thought, but does not look as good as the other after-thought ship. If it was more than an after-thought, I'd complain more about how it looks, but in this case it's little more than cannon-fodder to the tank. I think it would benefit from looking more like a scorpion, but if they made it something else, even not explicitly insect-like, I'd be happy too. Ultimately, I'm admittedly very biased because I was hoping for a more Insectoids like theme, when this is not that. :sceptic:

Fair enough. I agree that they're front heavy, but I just don't see that as a bad thing. The Vermin Vaporizer is definitely front-heavy, but the aesthetics still work because it's designed with that in mind. It's a little more interesting, I think.

But, it's to each their own. I personally quite like them - true, there are some imperfections here and there, but when's the last time a LEGO theme has been perfect? There are some really well-designed vehicles here, and a very nice change of tone for LEGO Space. I think it's a positive trend and I fully support it.

Edited by Algernon

You're not going to get anywhere comparing these insect like aliens to real insects. They're LEGO for one, they're merely caricatures of real insects. Also, they're aliens, they are only slightly based on insects in the first place.

To me, they look really awesome and creepy and I can't wait to get a few and MOC up my own spaceships for them.

With correct abdomen sizes of course... :wink:

I think the difference isn't that they're less insectoid, just more cartoony and child-friendly. I can see these new Insectoids in an animated series very easily. Not so much the original Insectoids, which were much darker and creepier.

You're probably right. The original Insectoids were much darker, creepier, and cooler in both senses of the word :grin: . These fit closer to the feel of Chima, with their front-heavy design and cartoony look.

The Warp Stinger is actually one of my favorite sets. It's not streamlined because it's a space ship and it doesn't need to be. I think you'd like it better if you compared it to Gradius, like I've been doing:

Notice how everything is very side-oriented, as in meant to be viewed from the side. I really think LEGO drew more inspiration from this than the Insectoids from the 90s. There's a lot more similarity.

I understand the "space-faring" argument, but I can't imagine it being space-faring because of the legs. Cockpit air-tightness notwithstanding, the legs are obviously there for balance. They detract from the cosmetic appearance.

I think my major complaint on this set is actually the legs. If it had more of them then it could pass as insectile. Frankly though, even adding more of the same odd-looking, forward-facing legs would not fix it. They'd need at-least one back-facing, and long/bigger than the front. A really good fix would be giving it 6 legs (or 4) and making them shorter, and then making the tail move into a parallel-to-ground or upwards facing (like a scorpion tail) position, so that the legs could serve clearly for use as landing-devices. That would detract from its ability to maintain the C shape when not held though. :sceptic: As it is though, I can't see anything insect-like about it. From the spines to the heavy head, I can't picture it as anything but a snake suspended by two bizarre legs. :blush:

I guess I can't really focus on the desired side-view for which they are going because I never played video-games as a kid. :blush:

True, but loosely. The Space Police vehicles are based on the modern police, but they clearly took some artistic liberties in the design process to make them Sci-Fi. It seems that LEGO did the same thing to the Earth insects that inspired their set designs here. They seem bug-like enough to me.

I guess, I'm somewhat disappointed that they don't have a ship based on a more traditional insect or arthropod shape. I want a thorax/abdomen heavy monster with a small head. I know, wishful thinking, especially considering how front-heavy most sets are nowadays.

Fair enough. I agree that they're front heavy, but I just don't see that as a bad thing. The Vermin Vaporizer is definitely front-heavy, but the aesthetics still work because it's designed with that in mind. It's a little more interesting, I think.

But, it's to each their own. I personally quite like them - true, there are some imperfections here and there, but when's the last time a LEGO theme has been perfect? There are some really well-designed vehicles here, and a very nice change of tone for LEGO Space. I think it's a positive trend and I fully support it.

I'm glad that you like them. I might have liked them too if I hadn't been made completely biased by the original Insectoids. :blush:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Gah! I love the look of these! I was really sceptical about how a modern Insectoids-like theme would turn out, but these sets far exceed any expectations. This seems to be a rare theme were there isn't a set in the bunch that I wouldn't want to purchase. In fact, once I find these in store, I'm buying all of them in one go.

I really love how detailed all the vehicles are. There are some neat building technique and angles in there too. It's nice to have a good variety of vehicle colours while still seeming like they belong to the same faction. Overall I'm very impressed.

I think I really like the red squad members the most. I hope 30230 Galaxy Walker will be the smallest set and not a ultra rare polybag. Also it would be great if it would feature a red human squad member. This would be perfect for army building.

^me too. Trans clear visors and new style helmets will make the red figure compatible with Classic Spacemen. I guess the classic blue won't happen, and yellow won't work with the white vehicles, so the red set and the black and white CMF figures will be our fill for now.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Looks like someone has their hands on three of the sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52927377@N02/

He'll be posting video reviews of them later by the sound of things.

All I have to say is that these sets keep looking more and more awesome as I'm able to see the greater details to them. The Vermin Vaporizer in particular looks to be a solid set that could really make the series.

Oh, you can really see the eagle on the orange set too. That is definitely a Starship Troopers tribute! So which one is Rico and which is Carmen?

They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Review is up(He said they can purchased at TRU Canada,so 2013 is coming soon!)

Vermin Vaporizer

Edited by Zachattacx

While I absolutely love the Mosquito ship, I'll be removing the front antenna as soon as I get it. I'll probably modify the head further so the cockpit's an actual cockpit, not just an open seat. I'll probably by an extra one of both the Mosquito as well as the Mantis so I'll be able to properly mod the Mantis.

And oh my zarquon I love the Vermin Vaporizer even more after seeing that review. The figures look even better now, and that new weapon is very intriguing. But it's kinda embarrassing that the guy reviewing the set doesn't even know that the claws on the scorpion are 2011 HF parts. Very funny that LEGO thought of adding splatted bugs onto the windscreen. That mini-buggy is ridiculously cute. And it reintroduces a part from the old Insectoids line (That seat part). There's a slight disappointment with the mech: I thought it had two different weapons and double-jointed legs. Oh well, that would be kind of difficult to put into the main vehicle.

Very cool design, especially the "robot-and-vehicle" combination is a nice feature! :classic:

ADU helmets in nice colors! sweet. :wink:

The Warp Stinger is my favorite as well, it feels... Unique?

By the way, anyone else notice the wannabe Energy sword on the red droid? :laugh:

It´s been commented about a few pages back already. And more since then. But it is cool, I´ve got to admit.

In case anyone else hasn't spotted it already, the RRPs on these sets are up on some Dutch toyshop websites:

70700 - €8.95

70701 - €17.95

70702 - €26.95

70703 - €39.95

70704 - €49.95

70705 - €59.95 or €69.95, depending on the site

Personally as a space junkie I'm really excited about this theme, but more for the alien ships because I've got loads of white spaceship parts in my collection already.... and 70703 looks too spindly and technic-y for my liking. I'll probably just buy 70702, 70701 and maybe a couple of 70700 to get a bit more of a swarm going. I love the aesthetic of the warp stinger but it remains to be seen how stable it is(n't)!

And oh my zarquon I love the Vermin Vaporizer even more after seeing that review. The figures look even better now, and that new weapon is very intriguing. But it's kinda embarrassing that the guy reviewing the set doesn't even know that the claws on the scorpion are 2011 HF parts.

Well, to be perfectly honest, if he's like me and generally won't touch any of the LEGO Action Figure lines (Bionicle, Gallidor, etc) with a 10 foot pole it's perfectly understandable that he wouldn't know it had been released as part of Hero Factory already (heck, I didn't know either, but mainly because I don't like HF or the other action figure lines since most of the parts are completely useless for normal LEGO builds).

That mini-buggy is ridiculously cute. And it reintroduces a part from the old Insectoids line (That seat part).

Good catch there, I didn't notice until you mentioned it... Nevertheless, I'm quite happy they've brought the Classic Space seat back (it goes practically all the way back to the beginning of Classic Space, not just the Insectoids).

Obviously the weakest set in the theme. The spindley, skeletal design reminds me unpleasantly of Exo-Force (god I hated that theme. It was like a crappy NinjaGo with some subtle racism).

You must be talking about a different Exo-Force than I collected; I remember the theme for its complex and colorful set designs and its complex story which eschewed the traditional black and white morality of Lego themes.

I love the look of these sets. My favorite is definitely the Vermin Vaporizer. Between this theme, Hero Factory, Ninjago and Chima, I don't know how I'll be able to keep to any sort of budget come next year!

You must be talking about a different Exo-Force than I collected; I remember the theme for its complex and colorful set designs and its complex story which eschewed the traditional black and white morality of Lego themes.

...apparently I did. If your idea of thematic complexity is horrendously stereotyped Asian mecha (complete with spikey hair and screaming angry faces)... I could recommend you some authors. Also, the set designs were not complex at all, they were skeletal and bare-bones most of the time. Some exceptions here and there, but the bulk of the theme definitely suffered from some action-figure-itis. It wasn't my thing, at any rate.

As for those reviews... good god I didn't think the Vermin Vaporizer could look any better, but it is fantastic with the mech attached to the back of the vehicle! This is legitimately Mega Core Magnetizer quality. Absolutely loving it.

The Bug Obliterator looks nice close up, as well. I'm more positive on the set now than I was before, although I'm still irked by that splitting function (makes the back look unnecessarily bulky, which is a real shame considering how sleek the rest of the craft is).

I'm sure that I'll be buying all of these. I haven't been this hyped up for a LEGO theme in years.

The more I see of these, the more excited I get for it. I doubt I'll get every single set, but at least 3 of them look like must-buys to me.