CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

the ADU helmet looks weird on any head. i think it was initially designed to sit lower but due to some engineering mishap, it sits higher up on the head. as a result, it looks like the minifig has a swollen head. put it on any head and compare, and you will see what i mean. even the classic biker helmet looks better than the ADU helmet. the round inset inside the helmet needs to be filed down in order for the helmet to sit flush on any head.

the same is also true with the atlantis armor or new space suit. it sits too high up but thankfully the space suit looks less ridiculous because of the golden visor, which hides the flaw pretty well since it's not transparent/translucent. i'd be curious to see if the new mr freeze is affected by the silliness of that armor piece.

i like the space marine helmet a lot more but it's main flaw is that it is missing a visor. give it a visor and it will be the best helmet out there. :tongue:

I for one love the ADU/SP3 (where they originally debuted) helmets! They're so much better than the motorcycle helmets used on space themes before, they have a much more Halo-ish/exosuit vibe to them, which I love! Hoping for multicoloured spacemen in the vibe of Futuron!

I haven't been so excited about a theme in years decades!

Scorpion

I for one love the ADU/SP3 (where they originally debuted) helmets! They're so much better than the motorcycle helmets used on space themes before, they have a much more Halo-ish/exosuit vibe to them, which I love! Hoping for multicoloured spacemen in the vibe of Futuron!

I haven't been so excited about a theme in years decades!

Scorpion

can you share what you like about it? i agree that the artist rendering looks awesome. the actual product, not so much. with a body armor, you can shift the perception somewhat but without is just horrible.

i think it looks too big for halo, while the space marine is more halo-like, and more starship trooper-like. i think i'll take some photos tonight and show you what i mean.

Since the two helmets (Galaxy Patrol and ADU/SP3/CM) are very similar, isn't it possible that Cwetqo confused the two helmets?

Edited by DraikNova

He was asking about the Alien Conquest ADU helmets and the Series 1 Spaceman helmet, which are the same piece. I don't have any ADU helmets in front of me at the moment, but I'm a bit confused because I do have a Space Marine in front of me right now and his helmet does protrude a bit beneath the neck of the minifigure-- not much, and perhaps not as much as the ADU helmet, but enough that if you had a minifigure head sitting on a stud with a tiled surface in front (like this one) the chin strap of the Space Marine helmet would collide with the tiled portion before the helmet was fully attached to the head stud. With that in mind I don't find it hard to believe that the ADU helmet could attach reasonably well on the Space Marine body armor, even if it's not 100% pressed down on the head stud.

Took a few quick picks yesterday, but couldn't put it up until today. Here's a shot of the marine vs. the ADU helmet (sorry for the blur):

34oc2kx.jpg

The marine helmet on its own sits more square to the surface, whereas the ADU helmet tends to rock backwards a bit when at rest. You can also see there's much more ornamentation on the bottom of the ADU lid while the marine helmet is much more plain.

When put on a figure wearing the space marine armor, we get this:

2192v7p.jpg

The ADU helmet actually does sit okay on the armor, much better than I suggested earlier... BUT Aanchir is quite right, the helmet descends far below the bottom of the head, so much that the helmet does NOT fully engage with the head's stud before hitting the armor. In short, you have a helmet that falls off.

Hope you all like my customized marines, wearing their orange rank insignias, long-range communication antennae and their mighty hel-guns.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I am a fan of the infamous ADU helmet but it is undoubtedly over used :hmpf_bad:

If you count the Collectible Minifgures as "mainstream" appearaces then perhaps it is slightly overused. If you count the times it has appeared in sets only then I'd say no. We got in in about five Space Police III sets, pretty much every Alien Conquest set and a few World Racers and City sets. Other pieces have appeared in far more sets and nobody complains that they're overused.

It makes sense for this helmet to be used in this theme really. It's a good sci-fi helmet that finishes on the shoulders to allow a minifgs back to be uncovered (to allow figs to fit into cockpits better) and it can take a visor, whereas the Galaxy Patrol helmet does not. If LEGO wanted a helmet like this and didn't want to make a new mould then the only other helmet that fits the bill (with a full enclosed head) would be the standard crash helmet as far as I'm aware.

I think this has been pointed out before, but it really bears repeating: even if the prototype catalog that's been described showed the figs with ADU helmets, that does not preclude new molds for the space marines. LEGO uses placeholders all the time.

I am a fan of the infamous ADU helmet but it is undoubtedly over used :hmpf_bad:

IMO it's not overused until it exists in all the Classic Space colors. And the colors of the Classic Space microfigs for good measure. :tongue:

Well, seeing as mr timms have posted the pics, I won't need to. :laugh:

The side profile pic looks okay. The front though looks like he's got a fat head. The front plate looks too big and the fact that the helmet sits higher up (above the brow) than normal helmet just give the sense that the minifig has a swollen head.

I prefer the slicker look of the marine helmet. :devil: It's not because of the color either. You can try a black ADU helmet and it's still the same result. Looks top heavy...in a bad way. :look:

I'm wondering: is it possible that the aliens use the fairy wings from Collectible Minifigures series 8?

Hmm...I'm going into Sci-Fi again these days. And I think the ADU one is very cool. Ok it is a litte "fat" compared to the other one but it has to because of the visior.

And it's not that loose as the vikings helmets - it won't fall of on normal displays, mocs or even playing.

8047535717_1a0f420171_m.jpg

8047536087_84d2612046_m.jpg

Edited by gerkenz

With all the other 2013 themes getting pictures now, I've got my fingers crossed for an announcement about Galaxy Squad... although I have a small suspicion that this will be a summer theme.

I think you're right. There are so many anouncements for 2013 sets right now, but still no Galaxy Squad. I don't get it. What I don't understand is, Alien conquest is gone. The sets are on sale or long gone in most stores, so summer 2013 would be a long wait for a new Space line.

I think you're right. There are so many anouncements for 2013 sets right now, but still no Galaxy Squad. I don't get it. What I don't understand is, Alien conquest is gone. The sets are on sale or long gone in most stores, so summer 2013 would be a long wait for a new Space line.

Hahaha, hardly! The wait from Life on Mars to Mars Mission was far, far longer. LEGO has been using Star Wars to fill the Space niche for quite some time; it's only recently that they've realized original Space themes still have marketing potential.

There's a lot of stuff coming out in Winter 2013, so I wouldn't mind all that much if GS is a summer release. We'll see what happens, nothing is for certain - remember, Star Wars hasn't gotten any 2013 pictures either!

Umm, shouldn't this topic be stickied? It's kinda important, and it would be a shame if it got lost in the mists of the sci-fi forum.

Umm, shouldn't this topic be stickied? It's kinda important, and it would be a shame if it got lost in the mists of the sci-fi forum.

Well at this point there hasn't been any official word - so I'm still treating this as rumour.Once / if confirmed I'll get to the stickying :wink:

This may have been said already, but I was looking at the set names again and it appears that it's split half and half between featuring a major "bug" vehicle or major "squad" vehicle (with a smaller vehicle for whichever faction isn't the 'featured' one). In my estimation, the sets are split thusly:

70700 Space Swarmer: "bugs"

70701 Swarm Interceptor: "squad"

70702 Warp Stinger: "bugs"

70703 Space Mantis: "bugs"

70704 Vermin Vaporizer: "squad"

70705 Bug Obliterator: "squad"

This may have been said already, but I was looking at the set names again and it appears that it's split half and half between featuring a major "bug" vehicle or major "squad" vehicle (with a smaller vehicle for whichever faction isn't the 'featured' one). In my estimation, the sets are split thusly:

70700 Space Swarmer: "bugs"

70701 Swarm Interceptor: "squad"

70702 Warp Stinger: "bugs"

70703 Space Mantis: "bugs"

70704 Vermin Vaporizer: "squad"

70705 Bug Obliterator: "squad"

I think you're right about the set division, but whether or not it's an even contest is debatable as most of the bug ones appear to be on the smaller side, which is potentially a bit disappointing. It reminds me of SP3's first wave where the largest ship the Baddies had was the space truck. That really worked for the gang concept, but with insectoid villains locked in a space battle with a human military force, a larger ship could come in handy.

I'm dying for Pics.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I think I heard the Space Swarmer was for the squad. I wonder if the spider Cwetqo mentioned is in the Bug Obliterator is a vehicle or a mount.

I am also looking forward to pics, I was sad to see Alien Conquest go, but I think that this theme has potential. What could possibly go wrong with a Bug Obliterator? :laugh:

If this isn't a Summer theme, I think we should realistically start seeing catalog leaks around December the latest. I'm eager to see pics as well, since Space could really use some love. Alien Conquest hardly counted as a Space theme, and it was terribly short-lived.