CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

It does sound like Starship Troopers, there was a more kid friendly animated version that I watched. Reminded me a bit of Halo. :tongue: But the sets sounds good! Can't wait to see what the figures look like. :wub:

This is sadly probably the end of the Space Marines project...

This is sadly probably the end of the Space Marines project...

Well it may be the end of the Cusoo project but I think this really sounds like a Space Marine like theme ;)

Perhaps they will will using human mini-figs based off the Cusoo project or very similar to them as the human faction? They would still be able to tie in with the Galaxy Patrol and Pink space girl and ADU. I mean there would not just be one type of human in space. No reason why they could not be used alongside Space Police, M-Tron and the bugs allied to Blacktron and so on.

As for the aliens being insectoids that is fine, I loved that range when it was first out. Not all aliens have to look like humans with a funny head, perhaps some of these could have wings etc like those flying aliens villains from Star Wars (Don't know what they are called, not a big fan.)especially now we have fairy wings that fit mini-figs.

I really do hope that they have some insectoid aliens with this set... I'm always looking to add more diversity to my LEGO setting, and thus far the only arthropoidal alien I have is a modified Crab Guardian from the Atlantis theme.

Of course, I never give a toss about who is supposed to be the "good" guys and who is supposed to be the "bad" guys in the official story line, or for that matter, I couldn't care less about the official story line either.... My brother and I were like that even back when we started playing with LEGOs in the 1980's (...it was acceptable in the '80s it was acceptable at the ti-i-i-me...), but I digress.

What does concern me somewhat is the fact that, thus far, in just about every LEGO sci-fi theme (excluding Star Wars), the aliens have always been the BAD guys (Alien Conquest, Space Police III, Mars Mission, Rock Raiders, etc), and the humans have always been the GOOD guys. I don't know about you, but that seems a bit speciesist, if you ask me... :hmpf_bad:

What does concern me somewhat is the fact that, thus far, in just about every LEGO sci-fi theme (excluding Star Wars), the aliens have always been the BAD guys (Alien Conquest, Space Police III, Mars Mission, Rock Raiders, etc), and the humans have always been the GOOD guys. I don't know about you, but that seems a bit speciesist, if you ask me... :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, that was brought up with SP3, really I don't care either, which ever one is cooler is going to be my good guy. :tongue:

If this is like Ice Planet 2.0 I will explode with excitement.

I would like to add some speculation wood to the rumour fire....

"LEGO Galaxy" - could this be the first of an overarching space theme? Like LEGO City, encompasses mining, police, fire etc....this could be LEGO Galaxy, encompassing Blacktron II, Ice Planet, Alien Conquest - perhaps each year/wave focusing on one theme (Ice Planet) with some smaller sets dedicated to the other space factions (Like 4 x Ice Planet, 1 x Blacktron II, 1x Alien Conquest) etc.

Supporting evidence - LEGO's somewhat "revival" or continuation of older space themes in the Minifigures.

I truly hope you are right here. A dream would come true.

With something like Space Marines, Galaxy Patrol or even Space Police or any of the others I don't see why they all have to be human.

Even if the force is seen as being a human based one originating from Earth, I am sure that as they encounter other planets with other intelligent life some of those are going to be friendly just as some would not be and not always all of one species being friendly or bad.

So some aliens could get enrolled into the Space Marines, Galaxy Patrol or Space Police (And so on.) whilst at the same times some aliens possibly from the same species could be in whatever the bad guy force is. Afterall in CITY we have humans in the police and humans as criminals. There are going to be good and bad in all intelligent species the same as in ours. I think both Good and bad factions should have a mixture of humans and aliens, not just one race against another.

I have a couple of Green S3 CMF aliens serving in the police force in my CITY, they hunt human criminals alongside their human comrades, but if some aliens came and committed a crime they would hunt them just the same.

Oh me likewise: I have Twi'leks, aliens of whatever species Rench and Kranx are, and the series 3 space aliens (squidman recolors) as well as nagas, orcs and dwarves in the armies of all of my post-apocalyptic factions except the Neo-Confederacy, but that's because the new Confederate States of America is BLATANTLY racist against aliens.

Of course that's one of the reason I supported HJ Media Studios' Space Marines project on Cuusoo...

This theme sounds amazing! :cry_happy: However, ever since Mars Mission, it seems that supposedly good-natured humans are being pitted against evil aliens. :wacko: What has LEGO got against aliens? :hmpf_bad:

I think that's exactly why they shouldn't go back to redoing those old themes. If there are plenty of people around doing a good job of revitalizing those old themes already then I doubt TLG could release anything as amazing. MOCers tend to splurge on their models and buy lots of parts to make them pretty, an official set's design and piece count would have to be a lot more modest to be affordable.

I don't know, I say that as a cynical 20-something-year-old that thinks MOCers make way better things than any official set TLG releases, but maybe kids would love the updated sets and they'd be a hit.

I wouldn't mind seeing official updates (or maybe a continuation/evolution of an older line like with SP3) but I'd rather get new space themes with new characters and designs instead.

I mentioned something similar in another forum. I think it's a great idea! I think the Galaxy Patrol minifig is a better one to use. Dark red, white, etc of those just like classic space. As for spaceships, just needs to have some elements like simliar color or whatever to give a nod to classic space. Given the set names, I'm hoping it's like Starship Troopers or Starcraft with Galaxy Patrol minifigs.

219bd914da5611e1aeb3123138150f49_7.jpg

Hrm... I'll have to see them to make my final judgement, but I'm not really too fond of Insectoids - it came out after I entered my dark age and still doesn't appeal to me.

BUT, the past two Space themes really caught my imagination (Space Police III is the main reason behind my emergence from my dark age) so I don't anticipate disliking this theme.

I'm in the same boat. Just came out of dark ages. Looking at old insectoids photos and not feeling it. Too busy looking without any sense in design IMO. I do like the predator looking head I've seen around from whatever set.

Will be very sad if no actual Galaxy Patrol minifigs. Oh well, maybe will see red, black, or white Galaxy Patrol in future CMF series. Series 9 is already confirmed (no further details).

You mean the Celestial Stinger, right? The only set I have, and the one that made me a real Insectoids fan. That and the over-the-top Insectoids add video.

Anyway, I wonder how this theme will be promoted? Like a site, tv adds, etc.

Will be very sad if no actual Galaxy Patrol minifigs. Oh well, maybe will see red, black, or white Galaxy Patrol in future CMF series. Series 9 is already confirmed (no further details).

I wouldn't worry. LEGO seems to use the CMF series as a testing grounds for new Minifig molds. Monster Fighters is a good example. I'd bet money that we'll see some variation of the Galaxy Patrol fig in use on the human side of things.

I wouldn't worry. LEGO seems to use the CMF series as a testing grounds for new Minifig molds. Monster Fighters is a good example. I'd bet money that we'll see some variation of the Galaxy Patrol fig in use on the human side of things.

Agreed. We saw the new CMF space helmets before they were used extensively in AC. Also the new ray guns. Plus both the Galaxy Patrol Armor and the Hazmat guys appeared in the concept art for the next wave of AC. It's a fairly safe bet that any new molds that were created with that theme in mind will show up in whatever the next space theme is.

All sounds very interesting, being a huge 'Classic Space' fan, I really hope this new theme will be 'AFOL friendly' in that there is a huge nod to the original Space - we were just beginning to see it with Alien Conquest...

I still feel this theme will be a child friendly Starship Troopers type of theme.....it seems old school sci-fi shows or films are in at the moment for brick/construction toy makers.

Star Trek - Kre-o

Stargate - Best-lock

Terminator - Best-lock

What's next eh ? :wink:

Lego are going to do their best to use good old SW, Chima and of course this new sci-fi theme to battle the biggest battle of them all.....TOY WARS ! :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

I still feel this theme will be a child friendly Starship Troopers type of theme.....it seems old school sci-fi shows or films are in at the moment for brick/construction toy makers.

Star Trek - Kre-o

Stargate - Best-lock

Terminator - Best-lock

What's next eh ? :wink:

Lego are going to do their best to use good old SW, Chima and of course this new sci-fi theme to battle the biggest battle of them all.....TOY WARS ! :wink:

i think meccano/erector has gears of wars. it's based on a video game but i think it's close enough.

Well now I wonder if our friendly galaxy trooper from the collectables was a prototype for this theme eh ?

It seems that Lego and their competitors are all going space trooper crazy....lets hope that doesn't caused a problem like toy overload and products not selling as a result.....then the theme going on clearance in Kmart's the world over ! :laugh:

Each set had its own distinctive colour (white, blue, orange, limet etc...) with minifigure in that colour (remember "jelly beans" from knights kingdom II?).

There are "human" sets with normal medium sized spaceships and one brick built and insect shaped (fly, spider etc...) enemy in each set.

"Alien" sets have insect shaped ships and vehicles (cobra etc...) with new shaped alien drivers and some small human vehicle (buggy, scooter etc...).

Figures are more like space villain from CMF, but without artificial leg and arm (or like galaxy patrol without special armour) and as said, each one in different colour.

Flagship set (70705 Galaxy Squad: Komando Shuttle / Bug Obliterator) is one large human spaceship with retractable wings plus smaller alien ship and spider similar to one in LoTR.

Second larger set (70704 Galaxy Squad: Robo-Spezialbuggy / Vermin Vaporize) is giant wheeled vehicle.

Edited by Cwetqo

Well, that's just how competition between companies works. :wink: Fighting to the death over who gets the $$$$$ from the kids! :devil_laugh:

Each set had its own distinctive colour (white, blue, orange, limet etc...) with minifigure in that colour (remember "jelly beans" from knights kingdom II?).

There are "human" sets with normal medium sized spaceships and one brick built and insect shaped (fly, spider etc...) enemy in each set.

"Alien" sets have insect shaped ships and vehicles (cobra etc...) with new shaped alien drivers and some small human vehicle (buggy, scooter etc...).

Figures are more like space villain from CMF, but without artificial leg and arm (or like galaxy patrol without special armour) and as said, each one in different colour.

Flagship set (70705 Galaxy Squad: Komando Shuttle / Bug Obliterator) is one large human spaceship with retractable wings plus smaller alien ship and spider similar to one in LoTR.

Second larger set (70704 Galaxy Squad: Robo-Spezialbuggy / Vermin Vaporize) is giant wheeled vehicle.

OMG, I just had a nerdgasm........ If you are legit this is AMAZING news.

So, sort of like the Alien Conquest figures then. Kind of disappointing that they aren't sporting Galaxy Patrol armor, but as long as they look like neo classic space figs, I'm happy.

Thanks Cwetqo, this sounds excellent!

So the humans have the CMF spaceman/AC style uniforms in different colours? Orange and lime will be lovely. And real insectoids! The minifigs at least should be amazing. Sad there are no galaxy marines, maybe they can come in wave 2, or 4 :laugh:

Interesting...

Thanks for the info 'Cwetqo'. :sweet: