CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

That's disappointing news for fans hoping for a grand return of classic Space-oriented sets, but it's still an intriguing idea and I'm curious to see how it's executed. I liked Agents OK, (I preferred Alpha Team) but I'm not usually the type to amass a huge amount of action-oriented sets. More "Spacey" themes like Mars Mission and Space Police III were more up my alley. A more sci-fi blockbuster approach could still be cool but my expectations are tempered by this news.

Prepare for another 8-page debate as to whether this theme qualifies as "Space" or not. :hmpf:

Crossing my fingers for a great space theme. Other than SW I haven't collected a space theme since the original over 30 years ago. Am I really that old? :sceptic:

I would like to see another adult oriented Space theme like the old Discovery theme. A possible remake of the Galaxy Explorer would be welcome as well.

I grew up with classic space, but even as a child I thought it was a little boring. Peaceful space explorations, grinning faces, no aliens, no enemys of any kind in sight. I thought it was a lot more interesting after blacktron showed up. So I have no problems with a little more action oriented line. A little less peaceful space exploration and a little more Agents is fine with me. But we have to wait and see.

That's disappointing news for fans hoping for a grand return of classic Space-oriented sets, but it's still an intriguing idea and I'm curious to see how it's executed. I liked Agents OK, (I preferred Alpha Team) but I'm not usually the type to amass a huge amount of action-oriented sets. More "Spacey" themes like Mars Mission and Space Police III were more up my alley. A more sci-fi blockbuster approach could still be cool but my expectations are tempered by this news.

Prepare for another 8-page debate as to whether this theme qualifies as "Space" or not. :hmpf:

I can understand the love or fondness for classic space. I'll confess to being a little confused and honestly curious regarding the difference in views between Agents and Space Police III. Outside of the presence of wheels, they really were playing in some very similar territories, and obviously came from the same design team. Each set was essentially a crime in progress, with vehicles of the more solid colored law enforcement team paired against a colorful super villain type in their more exotic rig. Both series were particularly noteworthy for the shear personalities and distinct looks of their villains, and some real stand out sets. but really the only thing separating the Agents Mobile Command Center from the SP HQ was really the wheels on one.

I can understand the love or fondness for classic space. I'll confess to being a little confused and honestly curious regarding the difference in views between Agents and Space Police III. Outside of the presence of wheels, they really were playing in some very similar territories, and obviously came from the same design team. Each set was essentially a crime in progress, with vehicles of the more solid colored law enforcement team paired against a colorful super villain type in their more exotic rig. Both series were particularly noteworthy for the shear personalities and distinct looks of their villains, and some real stand out sets. but really the only thing separating the Agents Mobile Command Center from the SP HQ was really the wheels on one.

Agreed.. and I also think that Agents was far more distinctive (not to mention well designed) than Alpha Team.

While the first wave of Alpha team may have established the concept that would carry over into agents, the sets were pretty bland and uninspiring. The following two waves -were- pretty awesome, but they weren't alpha team! Deep Sea was "just" an updated Aquanauts vs Aquasharks (and yes, it was freaking awesome), and the ice wave and it's transforming gimmick seemed like another theme that was folded into alpha team in the hopes that it would sell better. Not a single set in any of the 3 AT waves, IMO, touches the Agents HQ, Inferno's Volcano Base, or even some of the smaller sets like the helicopter vs the sports car!

Space Police 3 was my favorite theme since Agents..

MM and especially SP3 were both very action-based themes too. Even the smallest set from the latter wasn't safe from flick-fire missiles. From what we have heard so far, it seems this theme will be set in space too, except it will be more colorful. What will make it similar to themes like Agents will likely only be the general set design (Humans vs. freaks on armed vehicles) as Faefrost pointed out. While it's probably a good idea not to get your hopes up for something like Insectoids or any other space theme from the past, I wouldn't be discouraged by just one guy who thinks it's childish. Let's keep an open mind until we have some solid information or even pictures of this theme.

really the only thing separating the Agents Mobile Command Center from the SP HQ was really the wheels on one.

If by "SP HQ" you mean the Galactic Enforcer, then I agree with you, but if you actually mean the Space Police Central, I don't see what's similar between that and the Agents Mobile Command Center. :laugh:

I was wondering how long it would take for another flame war to start up. Luckily it's not the feared HF vs Bionicle debate. Anyway, however this turns out to be, I'll buy it, because of two things:

1. This is the first space theme in over a year.
  2. It looks like Ninjago will be ending in 2013, so I won't have much else to buy in the latter part of 2013.

If by "SP HQ" you mean the Galactic Enforcer, then I agree with you, but if you actually mean the Space Police Central, I don't see what's similar between that and the Agents Mobile Command Center. :laugh:

Actually I was thinking of the Space Police Central. Other than mobility its play features really did have a lot in common with the Agents MHQ. They were both large elaborate bases that featured a place to imprison the bad guy, detailed mission briefing and research facilities, team ready areas with aside assortment of gear, small sub vehicles to deploy as part of the play function, and a mechanism for the bad guys to stage a jailbreak using their own small sized vehicle. Once you get past the shape and color, the actual play elements and story behind the two sets is really astonishingly close. Not a complaint mind you as these are two of the finest sets Lego ever produced.

I am really hopeful about what we will be seeing with Galaxy Squad. I am thinking that our absolute best possibility is that we see a theme not unlike Monster Fighters, that semi spawned off of the CMF offerings. If that's the case it would be great to see sets based around variants of the Galaxy Patrol marine, Galaxy Girl, Black Tron (evil space cyborg), Spyrius ( Evil Robot), updated classic space (s1 robot) etc. something that sort of ties some of the classic themes together into a more action or story based line.

Actually I was thinking of the Space Police Central. Other than mobility its play features really did have a lot in common with the Agents MHQ. They were both large elaborate bases that featured a place to imprison the bad guy, detailed mission briefing and research facilities, team ready areas with aside assortment of gear, small sub vehicles to deploy as part of the play function, and a mechanism for the bad guys to stage a jailbreak using their own small sized vehicle. Once you get past the shape and color, the actual play elements and story behind the two sets is really astonishingly close. Not a complaint mind you as these are two of the finest sets Lego ever produced.

I am really hopeful about what we will be seeing with Galaxy Squad. I am thinking that our absolute best possibility is that we see a theme not unlike Monster Fighters, that semi spawned off of the CMF offerings. If that's the case it would be great to see sets based around variants of the Galaxy Patrol marine, Galaxy Girl, Black Tron (evil space cyborg), Spyrius ( Evil Robot), updated classic space (s1 robot) etc. something that sort of ties some of the classic themes together into a more action or story based line.

Haha! While you're right, take another look at the Galactic Enforcer! It has literally every single thing you mentioned, plus is made in the shape of a vehicle with a seperate front canopy and then a longer "trailer" part.. even the side opens the same way as Agents HQ!

What I want is that most of the old space themes are remade with newer parts.

Edited by DraikNova

What I want is that most of the old space themes are remade with newer parts.

Can I hear a resounding amen?

Can I hear a resounding amen?

AMEN.

I missed on classic space themes and didn't get into the Lego Space game until Life on Mars. I would love to see a Blacktron return, perhaps even Spyrius, Ice Planet, and UFO receiving revamps. It's pipedream, but darn it I would pay so much to make it so.

AMEN.

I missed on classic space themes and didn't get into the Lego Space game until Life on Mars. I would love to see a Blacktron return, perhaps even Spyrius, Ice Planet, and UFO receiving revamps. It's pipedream, but darn it I would pay so much to make it so.

I agree with all the above (including LoM being your first!) I want Blacktron more than anything!

I´m wondering why we haven´t even seen any pictures yet, while for all other themes we already have them.

Insectoids 2.0 would be a dream come true! I LOVED Insectoids as a kid. Wishful thinking though...

Hopefully this isn't just a rumour and this is indeed a new space theme. Heck, it doesn't even need to be Insectoids, as long as we have some sort of space theme.

I don't just want it, I NEED more information. I mean, we haven't had any space theme for a year!

It kills me inside to know that I have never actually completed an entire space series. The only time I came close to it was Mars Mission. I collected the entire first year. I have completed only two series before and they weren't even Space (but still good). They were Aqua Raiders and Dino Attack. But they were between 5-6 sets each. Even if this new them has that many sets, they will be mine. MINE! MINE I TELL YOU... Ahem. Got a bit excited.

Edited by Penkid11

As a long time Space fan, I am literally jittering with excitement over the potential launch of a new Space theme OR the restart of an overarching Space theme that will carry on like City. I've said this to my fellow LEGO fans more times than I can count - LEGO Space should NEVER have faded off just because Star Wars showed up. Granted, I love Star Wars but I will always remain a tremendous fan of LEGO's own ingenuity, especially their amazing Space creations. Even their "weakest" Space sets were fantastic compared to some of the more lackluster Star Wars stuff.

Alien Conquest may have been the last Space-like theme we got, but it showed a lot of promise if they would go back to a real Space theme and keep the overall theme running. So much potential - not just nostalgia for collectors like myself who grew up with Classic Space, but also the ability to re-invite and make use of all the newer parts and tech they've got available now. Ninjago showed a lot of crazy cool ideas brought to brick form - imagine pairing that with the Space theme. It makes me shiver with excitement.

Granted, this could all end up as just a rumor and prove to be false, but just the possibility of it will still have me excited - till then, I'll keep working on Space MOCs and carry the torch of Space's return alongside all of you.

Here's to the hope for the return of Space next year! *cheers*

I was completely obsessed with Insectoids when I was a kid and it'll be fascinating too see them return with actual insectoid minifigures. :cry_happy::thumbup:

I will wait to see the sets in shelves before getting excited about this at all.

I am still overcoming the grief of getting super excited about Alien Conquest only for them not to even appear in stores around here.

As a long time Space fan, I am literally jittering with excitement over the potential launch of a new Space theme OR the restart of an overarching Space theme that will carry on like City. I've said this to my fellow LEGO fans more times than I can count - LEGO Space should NEVER have faded off just because Star Wars showed up. Granted, I love Star Wars but I will always remain a tremendous fan of LEGO's own ingenuity, especially their amazing Space creations. Even their "weakest" Space sets were fantastic compared to some of the more lackluster Star Wars stuff.

Alien Conquest may have been the last Space-like theme we got, but it showed a lot of promise if they would go back to a real Space theme and keep the overall theme running. So much potential - not just nostalgia for collectors like myself who grew up with Classic Space, but also the ability to re-invite and make use of all the newer parts and tech they've got available now. Ninjago showed a lot of crazy cool ideas brought to brick form - imagine pairing that with the Space theme. It makes me shiver with excitement.

Granted, this could all end up as just a rumor and prove to be false, but just the possibility of it will still have me excited - till then, I'll keep working on Space MOCs and carry the torch of Space's return alongside all of you.

Here's to the hope for the return of Space next year! *cheers*

I completely agree, I think the only good thing about SW are the parts. I'm very excited about this new theme though, as it promises to be a rerelease of my favorite themes.