Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

30'odd years ago when I was a kid playing Lego you could buy a sticker book with instructions. It showed how to make things for the stickers to be used on.

I remember a school blackboard and tables, shops, cafe, pizza place, a garage stuff like that. Some of the stickers are still on my old Lego.

I remember enjoying those.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It'll probably be another fifty years until Lego enters the 21st century regarding gender stereotyping. Anything like schools and shopping malls will default to the Friends theme. because shops and education are obviously girly. Whereas vehicles are obviously all boys want. every single boy across the entire planet! :ugh:

Not sure I would say school is "girly", but shopping probably would fall into that catagory. Anything like that would probably get put in friends. :hmpf_bad:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It'll probably be another fifty years until Lego enters the 21st century regarding gender stereotyping. Anything like schools and shopping malls will default to the Friends theme. because shops and education are obviously girly. Whereas vehicles are obviously all boys want. every single boy across the entire planet! :ugh:

It's not that schools or shops are "girly" by any means. But based on what TLG has observed, girls tend to prefer role-playing "as themselves", putting characters in situations they're familiar with and identifying with the characters on a personal level. On the other hand, boys tend to want to play larger-than-life hero characters, whether those are the policemen and firefighters who serve as icons in real life or the fantasy and sci-fi heroes more common in the action themes.

Even though I don't collect the LEGO City theme, I understand that it'd be nice to have more civilian-oriented sets. I think an Octan corporate office would be a great set, even though in today's climate it's hard to avoid political overtones when dealing with energy companies. Likewise I'd love to see a yellow school bus, or even a small schoolhouse.

With that said, I also understand completely why the emergency services and other careers involving awesome uniforms, awesome vehicles, and often high stakes appeal to kids more. It's just common sense. Could TLG perhaps cut down on that sort of content? Perhaps, but then you're taking a gamble by putting out something that has had middling success in the past rather than something that's flown off the shelves every time it's been released (fire engine, fire station, police car, etc). If non-fire, non-police themes were the ones that had the most reliable success, then they'd be the ones we'd see being repeated year after year.

On a side note, back when I was a kid I had a "play mat" (really a patterned rug) that had lots of roads and buildings including a police station, a fire station, an airport, a couple shops, a couple houses, a hospital, etc. But you can imagine that the police station, the fire station, and the hospital are the ones that I incorporated into my play the most often. And OK, maybe also the parking lots/garages (because with so many toy cars I had to give them some kind of hub to operate from).

Really, funny I saw a 9 year old girl buying a Great Vehicles ambulance only two days ago, a little while back I saw another girl buy three trucks.....it's not only boys that buy the vehicles. Boy's also like buildings.....hence all the police and fire stations ! :laugh:

This talk is scooting in the area of off-topic.....so back on topic now.

I'm surprised no fresh information has been coming forward any where on the world wide web.....there hasn't been even one fuzzy picture.

But we should have to wait too long, Black Friday sales in the USA using involve some of the new years city sets among a few other themes plus in parts of Europe they start selling January sets in December. :wink:

Don't know if this has been mentioned but on Brickset there is this:

4473-1.jpg

This could be the helicopter in the Musesum set or the mysterious 14th set...

I have made it in LDD if anyone wants a play around. It isn't 100% accurate but its quite close.

Here:

Its the second white page with the lines on that says 2013. Brick Shelf

Ah, that copter.....yes, sadly I feel it was the set that never was.....Lego are using 5 digit set numbers next as far as I can tell.

Plus yes, it is also old news. :blush:

Okay so lets have a curve ball now......

Lego are running a Lego City Comic Builder Contest, where the grand prize is one's winning design featured on the November catalogue and 14 2013 City sets.....that's 14.....our last count was 13...so what's missing a great vehicle or an exclusive we don't know about at all ? :look:

I tried to enter thant comp but it didn't work?

Helicopter in museum set is very small, similar to this one:

Do you remember what type of windscreen was used.

Edited by Ricecracker
Please don't quote images

Got a good look through a retailers catalogue this morning at the first half 2013 sets.

The 3 new vehicles, Octan Tanker, Recovery Truck and Cement Mixer are really cool, Octan tanker is very similar to what we saw previously just it's a 6 wheeler rather than an articulated version. The recovery truck in Orange is good, with a working winch, I'd say the bed maybe tips up. The cement mixer is almost the same design as the blue and white one from years ago, except it's yellow and dark grey. The shoot for the cement on the back looks like a new piece, although it could be an old snow plough part?

The fire sets are ok, the main fire station looks similar to Blaze brigade from 15 years ago, I'm liking the ladders on the fire trucks, they now have handrails, and look much more realistic.

The museum set is nice, although it's not massive, very similar scale to the bank set, looks like it comes with a light brick which makes a laser security pattern for the criminals to avoid.

There is also a small set which includes the new light blue friends bicycle coming next year, should be a cheaper way to get this set.

Also the creator house is small but nice, about the size of the beach hut

Paul

Not to mention the cool Teenage Turtles sets coming next year, but thats for another section of the forum!

Edited by paul_delahaye

The museum set is nice, although it's not massive, very similar scale to the bank set, looks like it comes with a light brick which makes a laser security pattern for the criminals to avoid.

I'm wondering how they did this, sounds fun!

There is also a small set which includes the new light blue friends bicycle coming next year, should be a cheaper way to get this set.

Was this a city set or Friend's set ? :look:

Was this a city set or Friend's set ? :look:

Neither, it appears to be a new 4+ range of sets, quite basic, for kids between Duplo and Lego I guess

I did skim the catalogue though

I'm wondering how they did this, sounds fun!

It looks like they are using trans red attenas and then somehow directing light through them, not 100% clear from the picture.

Paul

Neither, it appears to be a new 4+ range of sets, quite basic, for kids between Duplo and Lego I guess

Oh, I'm a bit disappointed to hear this. Though that's possibly because my first association to '4+' is Jack Stone. With any luck, it's going to be available in a set with other useful parts than just that (well, it must be. I can't imagine a set consisting of a rare piece in a neat colour and no other useful pieces).

Got a good look through a retailers catalogue this morning at the first half 2013 sets.

The 3 new vehicles, Octan Tanker, Recovery Truck and Cement Mixer are really cool, Octan tanker is very similar to what we saw previously just it's a 6 wheeler rather than an articulated version. The recovery truck in Orange is good, with a working winch, I'd say the bed maybe tips up. The cement mixer is almost the same design as the blue and white one from years ago, except it's yellow and dark grey. The shoot for the cement on the back looks like a new piece, although it could be an old snow plough part?

The fire sets are ok, the main fire station looks similar to Blaze brigade from 15 years ago, I'm liking the ladders on the fire trucks, they now have handrails, and look much more realistic.

Also the creator house is small but nice, about the size of the beach hut

Paul

Not to mention the cool Teenage Turtles sets coming next year, but thats for another section of the forum!

Thanks for the info. Not trying to go off topic or anything, but do you mind explaining what the TMNT sets looked like in the licensed forum if you saw them. :blush:

Oh, I'm a bit disappointed to hear this. Though that's possibly because my first association to '4+' is Jack Stone. With any luck, it's going to be available in a set with other useful parts than just that (well, it must be. I can't imagine a set consisting of a rare piece in a neat colour and no other useful pieces).

It also had the little basket from red riding hood minifig on the back of the bike

It also had the little basket from red riding hood minifig on the back of the bike

Sounds like a build set aimed at girls....about time, if a a 4 year old girl wants a little set with a female minifig in it there isn't any. (just the big pink box which isn't little or cheap)

I guess we don't have to wait too long now for images since Lego has release images of the new high speed Creator Expert train. :wub:

It's not a new range,mots just like 4367.

Reading the Brickset forum, I came across another rumor:

The ripcords are on a sort of land vehicle as small as the spinners but sold like Ninjago in singles or 2 packs with tons of accessories. The vehicles are awesome in CHIMA as well they look like the character ( the alligator sea ship looks like an alligator face with heavy artillery and brand new wings for the eagle and hawk characters just wait I'm not making this up trust me you'll see you may or may not like it but theres a ton of it coming out all at once Jan 1st with the galaxy space and turtles and new star wars , ninjago , hero factory, a new palace cinema building to go with the big buildings emporium pet shop ect.,

(Bold typeface added by me)

Some new modular cinema building maybe?

The "pezdez" person was the only one who claimed that a cinema was on the way, so until now I couldn't entirely believe him. But yesterday someone at 1000steine said ( www.1000steine.de / de / gemeinschaft / forum / ?entry=1&id=12841 ; in German)

mir liegt eine Preisliste vor, in der der Zug mit 99,99 EUR als unverbindliche Preisempfehlung genannt wird. Ich gehe davon aus, dass sich der Preis so schnell auch nicht ändern wird.

Außerdem findet sich ein Set mit Namen 10232 Palace Cinema zum Preis von 129,99 EUR in der Liste. Genau wie der Zug in der Kategorie "Creator".

which roughly translates into

I have a price list that says the [new Creator] train has a recommended retail price of 99,99 EUR. I presume that the price won't change any time soon.

Also, there is a set with the name 10232 Palace Cinema at a price of 129,99 EUR in the list. Just like the train in the category "Creator".

No, they be called Creator Expert sets. :wink:

As long as they don't come along with easier building techniques then...

As long as they don't come along with easier building techniques then...

Judging by the orange train....no easy stuff there....a lot of SNOT involved as far as I can see. :wink:

Which gets the tiger thinking on two points.....1.) Since it maybe part of a new sub-theme could we get more than one modular building per year and 2.) if it's called Creator will it's topics, etc., be moved to where other creator sets are posted ? :wink:

Okay so lets have a curve ball now......

Lego are running a Lego City Comic Builder Contest, where the grand prize is one's winning design featured on the November catalogue and 14 2013 City sets.....that's 14.....our last count was 13...so what's missing a great vehicle or an exclusive we don't know about at all ? :look:

On the one hand I could imagine that the 14th set is the Horizon Express. It's not declarated as a City (but Creator) set, nevertheless it's located in the City / Trains theme.

On the other hand I would welcome it if we got a 14th real City set. But I must admit that I have no doubt what it could include. The most supposably it would be a hard to find Police or Fire set.

I've seen a list that mentions Coastguard, Construction and Cargo sets, I don't have the names with me right now and I cant confirm as to whether they're city or not (more likely than not). I do remember one of the Cargo sets being called the Cargo Heliplane.

Thank you very much for this information, The Fetzer, and for confirming it, Cwetqo! :classic:

Firstly I thought that three themes in summer isn't possible, too. But who says that these will be three complete themes, each with minimum four sets?!

Coastguard could be a theme like the January Police theme: only three sets - CG ship (big set), CG helicopter (smaller set) and small watchtower (little set). Construction could be a stand-alone set (like this year's helicopter rescue base): part of a building, tower crane and an excavator. And Cargo could be that heliplane, a cargo center (that would be amazing!!!), a truck and a small car.

What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter