Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

OUTSTANDING WORK, Klaus-Dieter!!!! The museum sounds excellent, as do the chase and cement mixer sets!!!! Are the police figs in the chase and squad car also sporting the bulletproof vest torso, or are they the traditional black uniforms?

All of the firemen are in orange then, but with the old print? Hate to say it, but when it. Ones to the fire sets I think I'm most excited about the FIRE DOG!!

Would love to hear any other recollections you might have, my friend! Thanks!!

Is the firefighter's torso in motorocycle set new? Either way this and museum sets sound great. :sweet:

Are the police figs in the chase and squad car also sporting the bulletproof vest torso, or are they the traditional black uniforms?

All of the firemen are in orange then, but with the old print?

I didn't see one police officer with black torso. If I remember right, the new bulletproof vest torso is only worn by the three police officers in the museum set. The police pilot has this year's police pilot torso. And all other police officers have the blue shirts with blue cravat.

Nearly all fireman seem to have the same torso which has been used in the fire themes in the last years, too - black suit with light stripes.

Is the firefighter's torso in motorocycle set new? Either way this and museum sets sound great. :sweet:

If I remember correctly, it's the generic firefighter torso, but he wears not a firefighter's helmet but a white motorcycle helmet.

Btw:

I forgot to mention that in the fire station there is of course even a pilot with this year's fire plane pilot's torso. And on the right side of the museum there is some sort of ivy on which the bandits supposably can get up to the roof windows. Plus the bandits have a black rope (the one seen in the big police helicopter set last year).

Klaus-Dieter

60008 Museum Break-In :wub: :wub: :wub:

There are three vehicles included: a robber's van (looking like this year's ambulance, but shorter and in dark grey), a police van (looking like the security transport car in the bank set, but in white and blue color and without roller gates) and a small police helicopter (in the classic 90s Lego City style size) with light brick as spotlight.

This one had promise ... until I read about the THREE vehicles. I'm going to guess that this set follows the all-too-common pattern these days -- super-detailed, enormous vehicles, and a really poor "facade" that does nothing but give the merest impression of an actual building. The buildings from Lego these days are more like theater props -- they're just a backdrop for the action. I would have much rather seen Lego pour some of this set's piece count into the structure, and cut it down to maybe one vehicle.

:wub_drool: :wub_drool: :wub_drool: Thanks so much for this info! Also, can you find a pic (not OF the set) but of what the "Burning Hut" looked like? The hut design?

Also, the museum, was there any SWAT?

-Sci

This one had promise ... until I read about the THREE vehicles. I'm going to guess that this set follows the all-too-common pattern these days -- super-detailed, enormous vehicles, and a really poor "facade" that does nothing but give the merest impression of an actual building. The buildings from Lego these days are more like theater props -- they're just a backdrop for the action. I would have much rather seen Lego pour some of this set's piece count into the structure, and cut it down to maybe one vehicle.

I completely understand you. And I must say that I wish that we get more civilian City stuff, too, than only action.

But the museum set is really worth getting. Even if there will be nearly no interior and the inside be very small anyway, the heli being too small, the bandits looking stereotypical and the bandit's car having no car doors, the exterior of the museum and the police unit van and the new police officer torso are really stunning - believe it!

:wub_drool: :wub_drool: :wub_drool: Thanks so much for this info! Also, can you find a pic (not OF the set) but of what the "Burning Hut" looked like? The hut design?

Also, the museum, was there any SWAT?

-Sci

Sorry, I can't find any picture.

No, there is no SWAT included.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for the information! I'm not a huge City fan, but it is nice to know what is coming out. Sometimes there is a set or two that catches my eye. The museum sounded interesting, but with it barely being a building and I don't really care about vehicles, I will probably avoid buying that which saves me money to spend on all of these other great themes!

I still can't wait to see the pre-lim pictures, but I'm not that excited compared to other themes.

Again bless you 'Klaus', another new doggie ! :moar:

The burning house set must be that way to meet it's price point....of course modifying it would lend itself to have someone crying for help from the window.

Good, a new fire station....I totalled the last one for parts :innocent: , though the 2010 was better than the 2007/8 model....an external lift would be a play feature for children to use. Good to see another female fire fighter....hopefully with a female torso. :innocent:

Now 'Klaus' did you see the fourth great vehicle....there is four, I've been told there are four (and that was hard to get information) ?

a police humvee (with window brick from the red cargo train engine, but in blue).

mhhh...THAT sounds familiar

LEGO_City_Undercover_promo_art_4.jpg

(from brickipedia)

Edited by marv

Ah, blue train windscreen ! :grin:

We shall see eh ? :wink:

Now reading the fire sets again, I think the ladder truck could be the fourth great vehicle....though it's a bit lame to take a vehicle from one sub-theme and just throw it in another....unless the designers at Lego are all competing against each other ? :laugh:

I'm afraid if there is a burning house, it'll be more of a burning shack! Something small ($40<), low detail, etc.

Burning Hut

This set includes a burning hut without interior (one floor big, door in the middle, left and right a window with a lath in front of it, black burning roof, street lantern), a "ladder truck" with car doors and two or three firemen.

The idea of a burning house is imo ingenious. But the outcome is more than disappointing. This set would have had that many potential: minimum two floors big building with interior, burning roof, window beneath is opened and a woman is crying for help, firemen get ready their rescue net.

Klaus-Dieter

Who else saw that coming default_tong.gif Seriously though, if it's not too expensive, combine a couple and add an interior. At least that's what I'd do. Great bit of info Klaus-Dieter! It looks to be a decent line up, too much Fire themed sets, but I'll bite default_classic.gif

Thats about it, except that blue is "normal" lego blue (if I remember correctly)

Ah, blue train windscreen ! :grin:

We shall see eh ? :wink:

Now reading the fire sets again, I think the ladder truck could be the fourth great vehicle....though it's a bit lame to take a vehicle from one sub-theme and just throw it in another....unless the designers at Lego are all competing against each other ? :laugh:

I dont think so. Those three are together on same page and "ladder" is together with other fire sets, on another page.

Now to the 2013 fire sets:

Big Fire Station :wub:

Klaus-Dieter

K-D, it interesting how fifferent opinion you have on this sets. I found fire station worst of all, and burning house fairly good set. I am interested waht others will say, after pisc will come out (should be anytime now, since so many saw them).

Edited by Ricecracker
Please don't quote images

Thanks klaus-Dieter! Most of those sound great. I am so looking forward to the Fire Dalmation :wub:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the "Fire Motorcycle". I think somewhere along the line there was a failure to communicate exactly what it is that the Fire Service does and how they do it. Call me picky. I can only remember ever seeing or reading about 1 "Fire Motorcycle", and it was kind of infamous. It was a 1930's era Indian and it had a sidecar with a flashing red light and a siren. It was used in the 1930's and 40's by New York's colorful Mayor Fiorello La Guardia to respond to (meddle with) fire scenes, much to the dismay of the Fire Chiefs. The Motorcycle was driven by a New York City Police Officer ( mainly then rookie cop Patrick Vechio, who went on to be one of Long Islands most powerful politicians for almost 50 years). Mayor La Guardia normally wore a typical long fire coat and a white Chief style leather fire helmet with a "mayor" badge on the front, when riding around in it. It was a common scene in the 30's to see the Mayor zipping around the city recklessly, siren screaming and pedestrians scattering, as he tried to beat the actual Fire Chiefs to any reported fire, and take command himself. Now that I think on it, it would probably make a pretty cool MOC.

I don't like the small car because of its missing car doors which makes the car looking really <insert that tiresome argument>.

Why is it that doors aren't being used as frequently anymore? There's so many cases of vehicles where a door could have been used instead of just plain bricks. Does it depend on the individual designer? I'm glad a few of the 2012 vehicles sets did indeed include doors, it really makes them more realistic looking (and increase the playability factor for kids).

I don't like the small car because of its missing car doors which makes the car looking really <insert that tiresome argument>.

Why is it that doors aren't being used as frequently anymore? There's so many cases of vehicles where a door could have been used instead of just plain bricks. Does it depend on the individual designer? I'm glad a few of the 2012 vehicles sets did indeed include doors, it really makes them more realistic looking (and increase the playability factor for kids).

I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the "Fire Motorcycle". I think somewhere along the line there was a failure to communicate exactly what it is that the Fire Service does and how they do it. Call me picky.

Fire motorcycles do actually exist, and are used around the world. The following is some of the more relevant information from the Wiki article.

Denmark

Fire bikes are used in Denmark.

and

Hong Kong

Fire bikes are used in Hong Kong.[2] According to the Hong Kong Fire Services Department's website, "Fire Motorcycles (F.M.C.) are special fire appliances developed by Firexpress ApS in Denmark to provide rapid response and to carry out fire fighting operation".

I assume the LEGO designers often reference what's around them, and in this case, it's not too far-fetched to assume they've seen fire motorcycles. It's the same reason the Garbage Truck from earlier this year bears a striking resemblance to a Mercedes Econic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other vehicles to come look similar to other vehicles common in Denmark.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to some pics! And a fire motorcycle sounds cool! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info Klaus-Dieter! :thumbup:

I am looking forward to the Museum and Burning House set the most. I really do enjoy new concepts that have not been produced yet by TLG for City, and these should be two great examples.:wub:

As someone raised in Brickset, the upper left corner show one of the new possible policemen? If true, this basically echoes the information of the new police line shared above.

51vaXsJPUkL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Alywin