Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Thanks so much 'GRogall'! :classic:

That Helicopter Rescue set is pretty darn impressive. I'm hoping for a $40-$50 price range (USD), but it is a Toys'R'Us exclusive, so... :sad:

Thanks GRogall for the new update. It looks really good, have to get me one! Looking through the new set numbers on Brickset, I noticed, as I'm sure many have, that they go 60000-60010, and 60016-60018... Something in there for 60011-60017? 2nd wave in the summer, maybe? :look::classic:

I love that hideout, that's a winner in my book. Still don't think it needs quite so many vehicles in it. Much like the museum heist set, I wish they'd concentrate on a bigger main structure and a vehicle.

I feel a bit embarrassed for LEGO writing "Caution: Electrics" on the sticker for the Cement Mixer. It should either say "Caution: Electronics" or more likely "Caution: Electricity".

Anyway, thanks GRogall for the pics.. Finally! Here's hoping they'll put more up tomorrow, like the Fire Station, the Ninjago sets and the rest of the Galaxy Squad sets!

I feel a bit embarrassed for LEGO writing "Caution: Electrics" on the sticker for the Cement Mixer. It should either say "Caution: Electronics" or more likely "Caution: Electricity".

Saying 'Caution - Electric' might indicate wiring behind that panelling.....electrics would control the hydraulic lines for the operation of the drum and a cooling fan to keep parts of the motor assembly of course cool.

There really wouldn't be much in the way of advanced electronics by the drum motor and the voltages would be no greater than 24V......I've never know anyone to die from a 24V shock have you ? :wink:

Edit - I find this odd, look at the fuel bowser with the tanker truck 60016......the feed in hose is narrow yet the pump hose to fuel a vehicle from it is chunky as ?

I'll make one as it comes......but then I might build a better set of them ! :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

Saying 'Caution - Electric' might indicate wiring behind that panelling.....electrics would control the hydraulic lines for the operation of the drum and a cooling fan to keep parts of the motor assembly of course cool.

There really wouldn't be much in the way of advanced electronics by the drum motor and the voltages would be no greater than 24V......I've never know anyone to die from a 24V shock have you ? :wink:

It's not the volts that kill ya it's the amps. Less than 1 miliamp if memory serves. Generaly speaking, low voltage systems don't convay larger volumes of amps.vs. higher voltage systems. One of my electrical instructors commented the highest voltage she had been shocked by was 480V.

Sal

WFB, WI

It's not the volts that kill ya it's the amps. Less than 1 miliamp if memory serves. Generaly speaking, low voltage systems don't convay larger volumes of amps.vs. higher voltage systems. One of my electrical instructors commented the highest voltage she had been shocked by was 480V.

Sal

WFB, WI

I can beat that.....1500V off of the heatsink of a line output transistor in a 68cm TV (OUCH !).......yes, current kills (over 40mA) but it's voltage that pushes and overcomes the resistance.....anyway....too far off topic for 2013 sets. Best stay on target than drifting off in talk of electrical safety.......we don't want the moderators getting upset with us all now do we ? :wink:

Anyway, thanks GRogall for the pics.. Finally! Here's hoping they'll put more up tomorrow, like the Fire Station, the Ninjago sets and the rest of the Galaxy Squad sets!

We don't really say "electrics" here in the States (at least, not the parts I've lived in), but it is a real term. Certainly more accurate than "electronics" would be for this application. It's kind of like how we say "math" in America instead of "maths"... just a regional difference in how something (in this case, I suppose, "electrical systems") is abbreviated.

2013 City is looking good so far.

So far I am potentially interested in the fire truck (new ladder parts and good source of parts generally), new fire station (also looks like a possible good source of parts), police ATV (new cop, new robber, wheelbarrow, police chase (just look at all the nice dark blue on that 4x4 cop car), cement mixer and maybe the Octan tank truck (although I already own the last Octan tanker and it doesn't look like the new one has anything significant about it that makes it worth buying :)

The fire truck in the house fire set looks crap as does the fire helicopter and the nose on that orange flatbed is one of the worst designs I have seen on any LEGO City vehicle (the guy who did that one probably also did the bad guy van in the museum heist set, the front on that is equally as bad)

The fire truck in the house fire set looks crap as does the fire helicopter and the nose on that orange flatbed is one of the worst designs I have seen on any LEGO City vehicle (the guy who did that one probably also did the bad guy van in the museum heist set, the front on that is equally as bad)

I don't have an issue with any of the vehicles, they are either based on American or European vehciles.....that flat bed breakdown truck could be modelled on a Fiat truck.Light_Chassis_Cab_large.jpg60017_alt3.jpg

Only thing different is the headlight position but of course if it looked like one.....it's called a license to make......costs big bucks. :wink:

Are there any hi-res images of the museum heist set anywhere? Or the Fire station?

Thumbs up for TLG, somehow they convinced me to buy at least 5 or 6 sets... and i think every year that there won't be very much i can add to my layout.....haha..

I like the Helicopter Arrest for being so realistic... also the house on fire is nice!

Only thing different is the headlight position but of course if it looked like one.....it's called a license to make......costs big bucks. :wink:

It can look like one and there is no license to pay. Just don't use the brand name.

Also, car licenses are dirt cheap to purchase, assuming there even is a cost. Most car companies give licenses away for free, the only thing they ask for is final approval over design. That is one reason toy cars are still less than a $1. Only a handful of car brands actually are able to get away with charging a license fee - pretty much just the exotics and Jeep these days.

Edited by MAH4546

As with all of our product threads, you can always find the latest new images in the first post of the current years' product thread. Please check there first before posting, but thank you for bringing your news to us. :sweet:

Yeah, I know. But there were only box images by the moment i made my post.

Helicopter arrest and the Museum now seem to me as the best police sets of 2013!!!

It can look like one and there is no license to pay. Just don't use the brand name.

Also, car licenses are dirt cheap to purchase, assuming there even is a cost. Most car companies give licenses away for free, the only thing they ask for is final approval over design. That is one reason toy cars are still less than a $1. Only a handful of car brands actually are able to get away with charging a license fee - pretty much just the exotics and Jeep these days.

I know Ford would be hard to get.....they protect their logo with a special division I had to apply permission from to use their logo in a MOC.

GRogall, you are my hero! The Helicopter Arrest looks really great and seems to be a very good part set as well.

And now I am even more excited about the next modular. When do you expect HR images of that one, GRogall?

edit:

This is the very first time, TLG uses the brick-brick with the other side, isn't it?

Edited by PsyKater

This is the very first time, TLG uses the brick-brick with the other side, isn't it?

The 10228 Haunted House had them reversed before.

I don't think anyone said this before: It stikes me that the chest in the Helicopter arrest has a brown top and a tan bottom. Just a mistake, or is that possible? :look:

Edited by Kai NRG

I don't think anyone said this before: It stikes me that the chest in the Helicopter arrest has a brown top and a tan bottom. Just a mistake, or is that possible? :look:

Perhaps that was TLG's way of trying to get it to look like just a trunk rather than a pirate-type treasure chest. There have been sets in the past that had just the top or just the bottom, so it's not like a matching pair is required in any set design.

Yeah, I think they wanted to achieve an alternate design without using new molds.

Perhaps that was TLG's way of trying to get it to look like just a trunk rather than a pirate-type treasure chest. There have been sets in the past that had just the top or just the bottom, so it's not like a matching pair is required in any set design.

Yeah, I can see why they'd recolor it, but making just half of it tan strikes me as a bit odd. Most All the chests I've seen (IRL) are one color throughout (except for, a few highlights)...

Crossbeam panel in brown, That's cool. Pity they used the aviator cap on the helicopter pilot. The CMF hockey player's smooth helmet would have looked better but I'm not sure if a trans visor would fit it. The aviator cap looks a little old fashioned. The helicopter arrest set is mighty fine though. Orange pick up truck, nice. I'm going to have to fill in the side of the pick up garage though. The open side next to the stairs makes the roller door pretty redundant. Love the helicopter. The landing struts are nice but I'll change the doorway and give it nicer rotor blades.

I'm smitten with next years police sets. Still not liking the fire sets. Though the fire minifigs are cool and so is the new ladder side rail piece. I'll Bricklink those but I have to have the police sets and retire my old police collection. I hope Lego stick with the dark blue for police. Much nicer than regular blue.

they look pretty nice even though it's yet another Police/firefighting theme for most of the part... hm... a missed opportunity to do something different again, imo