Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

How kind of Lego to respond on the weekend eh ?

"Thanks for getting back in touch with us.

It's great to read that you have such a big interest in our LEGO® city range. However I am sorry to let you know, that I have to confirm my collegues e-mail.

We can't tell you in advance when, and if our new sets will be released or if and when our old sets will be re-released. Information like that is always kept as a secret for a long time and sometimes it is only communicated to us very close to the release date.

Other websites, fanwebsites and forums often have non-official LEGO® information which is not confirmed by us officially until you can find it on www.lego.com."

Yep, smoke screen......so what can be read is that Lego confirms by not confirming.....you see they haven't said no, it's not being released at all or in the future.

Funny thing is their last line speaks of the likes of our beloved EB......but the last info I have is a link to a retailer's page.....not a fansite. :wink:

It means they have no idea. They don't know if this is a re release, a mistake in the computer, an actual pending release, no idea. They can see it in the computer, but they have no documentation on it. No release notes. No needed links etc. at this point they assume it is something strange, something pending or something simply above their pay grade, and they are taught to be non comital in such cases.

My suspicion remains. It's a real "set number" that someone leaked. But it was probably something for an internal project or display, and is not a retail release product. If Lego operates like most similar manufacturers, product numbers are assigned at the point of finalized design. This can include special creations used by various internal purposes, that are never supposed to be seen by the general public. Heck! It may have been something as simple as needing to recreate the old set for a comparison shot with the new 60031 in a designer video.

If you are getting conflicting answers from a customer service department, the typical reason is not that they are lying to you. Most often it is because what they see in the computer is strange. More often than not it simply means that the Product Manager made an error when entering something in the computer, and the new product number is visible in ways that it should not be. There is no conspiracy. Now granted there is a slim chance that for some reason they may be doing a re-release in September. BUt given the new set releasing now, I'd call that chance a small fraction of 1%. The 99% chance is the set number is for something internal, and just the CS staff has never encountered it before. (As I said the PM probably messed up in the computer and made the part number more widely visible than it should be.)

To kind of help put this in perspective. We know that Lego assigns set numbers to non retail designs. We know that all of the big display models from stores and parks have set numbers assigned to them. Someone recently posted a pick of a large wooden crate, apparently with a Star Wars ISD in it with an unknown number. That big X Wing in Times Square has a number. The set numbers reflect the final designs and blueprints. Anything that may need to be built again. So we know these numbers are out there. We know that the numbering of them is fairly random, and they may be stuck in at odd places near other stuff. But you also can't call CS to find information on ordering a 1:1 scale XWing kit. They probably can't normally see that number at CS. If they could, it would probably look a lot like this set that you are inquiring about. "Not yet released, yet sold out".

Edited by Faefrost

BrickBox has been video reviewing a couple of the European Summer 2013 sets. Here's his review of the Monster Truck Transporter!

Thanks for sharing the video 'just2good'.....yeah, I'll buy one or maybe two.....some handy parts there and who wouldn't want a spare tool wheel....the new kind eh ? :grin:

Any sightings of the new sets at US TRU or LEGO Stores? A friend of mine in GA told me he saw 60020 already in TRU. I called the Alderwood Store in WA state today and they told me 60026, 60022, 60020 were listed as European Sets only when they're on this website already but not S@H http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/

Any sightings of the new sets at US TRU or LEGO Stores? A friend of mine in GA told me he saw 60020 already in TRU. I called the Alderwood Store in WA state today and they told me 60026, 60022, 60020 were listed as European Sets only when they're on this website already but not S@H http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/

Wait, the Alderwood Store is a TRU or LEGO Store?

Wait, the Alderwood Store is a TRU or LEGO Store?

There's actually a TRU across from Alderwood Mall where the LEGO Store is, but yes I meant to say I called the LEGO store.

Lego published the 60031 buildings instructions's, check the Brickset Home page!

There is instructions, so I can suppose this will be realeased.

Edited by Evans

Lego published the 60031 buildings instructions's, check the Brickset Home page!

There is instructions, so I can suppose this will be realeased.

Well, I just downloaded the instructions....the only difference no licence plate stickers for the bus....everything else is the same. :wink:

I have sent another email to Lego.....sort of a please explain in kind words......I'll post the results when they come in. :wink:

I've been rattling Lego's cage I think......

"Shaun, as my colleagues have stated in the previous emails. If the product is not available in the country that you are purchasing it in we will not be able to give you any information on when this set will be available or released."

In short, set confirmed.....just we don't know when or where yet ? :blush:

The facts are that a Dutch Lego retailer claims 60031 is a September release and Lego has just said then......quote "we will not be able to give you any information on when this set will be available or released.".

Plus add the fact that instructions are now available at Lego customer service.......yeah, I still feel smoke screen.

Wouldn't it be funny that this set suddenly appears during our Aussie mid-year toy sales at one the major Lego retailers eh ? :grin: (one can only hope right ? :blush: )

everything else is the same. :wink:

Though the part list is now apparently the latest version - trans-black panels with side supports and newer caps, for instance; looking at the BrickLink inventory, this already happened during 7641's production cycle. (Though there might be more such subtle changes.)

Hmm, is this going to be the sequel to the modular cinema's "Mystery of the Monorail", called "Mystery of the City Corner"? ;)

Actually looking closely at the instructions for 60031 only the missing license plate stickers are all that is different between 7641 and 60031.

"Mystery of the City Corner".....I like the sound of that.....yeah, Lego is good at throwing things out there to get attention eh ? :laugh:

In the 7641, there isn't any liscence plate for the bus, see the 7641's instructions.

In the 7641, there isn't any liscence plate for the bus, see the 7641's instructions.

You know something, your right....I check the image of 7641 on Brickset.....no license plate....well, easy mistake since we've had license plates on almost every other vehicle in the city range since 2005. :blush:

On another note, information even though it's not much to go on is that 60031 will be available in Oz for the mid-year toy sales.....but where is still a mystery also ! :blush:

I've been rattling Lego's cage I think......

"Shaun, as my colleagues have stated in the previous emails. If the product is not available in the country that you are purchasing it in we will not be able to give you any information on when this set will be available or released."

In short, set confirmed.....just we don't know when or where yet ? :blush:

The facts are that a Dutch Lego retailer claims 60031 is a September release and Lego has just said then......quote "we will not be able to give you any information on when this set will be available or released.".

Plus add the fact that instructions are now available at Lego customer service.......yeah, I still feel smoke screen.

Wouldn't it be funny that this set suddenly appears during our Aussie mid-year toy sales at one the major Lego retailers eh ? :grin: (one can only hope right ? :blush: )

Here a picture of the Dutch Site...

It indeed says expected september first.. This site was also one of the first who came up with the Maersk-train...

It also says that it is a rerelease and that is has been released before in 2009 as set 7641...

Greetz, LegoSjaak

9023697010_a69530c423_c.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

See, the tiger is not mad.....though I check with one of my sources today and he hadn't even heard of it.........gee, I wonder if it will be a TRU exclusive ? :look:

You know something, your right....I check the image of 7641 on Brickset.....no license plate....well, easy mistake since we've had license plates on almost every other vehicle in the city range since 2005. :blush:

No, there is licence plates (i dont count the 7900's licence plate) since 2007... :sweet:

Edited by Evans

Face slap, head butt the wall again, another email from Lego and clearer.....I say not ?

"I am sorry that our replies are not helping you much with your query. We are afraid that we cannot give away any more information about this set at the moment. I can understand that your a great LEGO® fan and therefore would like to kow as much as possible about new sets. Sets are launched at different times in different countries and that could be the reason why you found the building instructions on one of our webpages."

Note the wording "at the moment" and their reasoning behind the instructions being posted......I guess we'll all wait until September and see eh ? :wink:

This is very odd. Here's how I'm seeing this playing out in my head. LEGO makes the bigger set for TRU, but Wal Mart or Target gets upset because they want a set with a bus, bike shop, and pizza restaurant. LEGO doesn't have time to design a completely new set, so they decide to re-release this set under a new set number instead. Plausible?

I feel sorry for grandmothers everywhere... Little Timmy: "I want the set with the bus and the pizza shop." Grandma "Ah, here it is, $60, perfect." Little Timmy, "Grandma, that's not the set I want, I want the bigger set!!!"

Oh well, could this mean that we'll someday soon see a re-release of the LEGO Service station? That's one set and feature that my LEGO City is still missing. Or dare I say it, maybe even Town Plan?

Ah, but 60026 isn't entirely a TRU exclusive because in Oz it's a BigW exclusive (waiting for them to get stock ! :hmpf_bad: ).

So you might be right.....a general release later in the year or something.

Now a re-release of the service station :grin: or.....town plan :wub: ........that would be too good wouldn't it ? :blush:

I guess we'll play the waiting game to see if 60031 really comes through or not. :classic:

So, I went into a local shop today and what did I spot?

towncenter.jpg

Hold your horses though... it was an overstock 7641. :tongue: Which I bought for a very nice price (less than the new one is rumoured to cost). :laugh:

So, I went into a local shop today and what did I spot?

Hold your horses though... it was an overstock 7641. :tongue: Which I bought for a very nice price (less than the new one is rumoured to cost). :laugh:

And where is this now sought after shop?????

I got the last one (and as I said: it was an overstock box of the old set - not the re-release!), so there's no use going there... But there are some advantages to living in a more rural part of the Netherlands (in this case the lovely town of Putten (Gelderland)), you get lucky shots like this one once in a while. I have had some before, shops in smaller towns that want to sell of inventory, which means you sometimes are able to pick up sets for considerable less than the original price...

Oh, well some people can get lucky....an old 7641. Well, we'll all have to wait until either September or if 60031 pops up somewhere before that eh ? :wink:

I got the last one (and as I said: it was an overstock box of the old set - not the re-release!), so there's no use going there... But there are some advantages to living in a more rural part of the Netherlands (in this case the lovely town of Putten (Gelderland)), you get lucky shots like this one once in a while. I have had some before, shops in smaller towns that want to sell of inventory, which means you sometimes are able to pick up sets for considerable less than the original price...

Getting one of these origanal sets is a great find in this day and age.