Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I love the little fishing boat. More civilian sets, TLC! Too bad it comes with that water plane which tail fin construction is a bit on the awkward side. I have no idea what they wanted to achieve here.

is it me or is LEGO seem to be just recycling old sets...http://letsbuilditagain.com/index.php is where I am coming up with this thought. just adding one or two new molds to them...

Isn't it Lego all over to rehash an old idea all the time.......from city to castle to Star Wars....rehash is the name of the game sometimes ! :wink:

Now has anyone noticed on the bus stop sign......city centre, PARK, museum ? :wink:

Town Square is a very good set-- but could have been great had they not re-hashed so many previous offers all a once. Instead of another pizza shop, why not a burger joint? Another Bike Shop? How about a 2-story gym? Once again we're so close to perfection, yet so far away...

I dunno, most of these new designs really feel like they're trying harder to look realistic and "streamlined" than they are fun or appealing.

(Lime green is about the last color I'd consider appropriate for a pizza parlor)

There's almost a sense of shame towards being LEGO to them, like they're working against the design sensibilities that LEGO lends itself to.

Edited by Mattieshoe

Ah, yes Town Square for me....though a giant crane in it.......a smaller one with a delivery truck to carry the statue on would have been a little more realistic. I'm wondering what Lego's idea is behind bike shops and pizza bars all the time ?

Yeah, the pizza and bike shop competition is getting fierce in Lego Town. :wink:

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of a town square isn't a big crane but don't let me rain on your parade.

Joe

Town Square is a very good set-- but could have been great had they not re-hashed so many previous offers all a once. Instead of another pizza shop, why not a burger joint? Another Bike Shop? How about a 2-story gym? Once again we're so close to perfection, yet so far away...

I think part of the reason for the pizza joint is that pizza is a really well-liked food item pretty much worldwide. Burgers, perhaps to a certain extent, but I don't think they appeal to everyone's cultural sensibilities. When I visited Costa Rica a little over a year ago, I seem to recall pizza being a much more common menu item than burgers, though that may be selective memory.

No idea about the bike shop, except that perhaps kids like it since it rolls the appeal of buildings and vehicles into one cohesive whole.

I dunno, most of these new designs really feel like they're trying harder to look realistic and "streamlined" than they are fun or appealing.

(Lime green is about the last color I'd consider appropriate for a pizza parlor)

There's almost a sense of shame towards being LEGO to them, like they're working against the design sensibilities that LEGO lends itself to.

Lime green isn't a totally common color for pizza parlors, but I think it suits the building, and it's a nice way to provide variety in a city layout. I don't know where you get the idea that these designs aren't fun and appealing. What design sensibilities are you talking about that you don't see present here? Naturally it's not going to look like a set from the 80s or 90s, because we're past that, and TLG has recognized that you can work intricate, realistic detail into sets without eliminating their versatility as parts packs. Overall, I can't think of any set from a previous decade that I'd really prefer over its more modern equivalent. Well, except maybe Pizza-to-Go (what a set that was!), but mainly just because it has such a unique look and great play features like an oven and a delivery truck.

I suppose at this point in Lego's history the shift towards a more specialized design sense was inevitable, and I'm not saying there's no value to that, but I would argue that there's something lost to the initial purpose of lego when you design pieces that are neither abstract enough to serve universal purposes or complement the look or feel of lego bricks, like the giant plane cockpit or the excess of softened and curved elements.

I'm probably on a minority here, and I welcome different opinions, but that's just the way I feel about it.

With that said, though, I really don't care for the sort of faux-postmodern design of either of those buildings, it just feels a bit wonky to me.

Edited by Mattieshoe

. And eight minifigs! Has any other CITY set had that many?

This Town set has 13 minifigs. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6395-1 and no stickers. Yes, every single decal is a printed piece.

The town square is so-so for me. The bike shop looks ok but looks quite bare-bone. Maybe it due to the usage of the window pieces for its walls and its small size. Great idea for a revolving door in the bike shop though! Then the cafe looks ok as well. As for the square itself, I think TLG could have just omitted the crane for a bigger better square with a bench, flower bed and fountain. The lone statue looks like it pop out of no where. I may buy it, but solely for the window pieces and potential to mod the cafe and bike corner into a modular building.

The Octan racer looks ok too. Unfortunately since I have sets like 6395 where all the Shell logos are printed pieces, to see stickers is a step down for me.

While I don't collect LEGO City, I really like the overall quality of the 2013 summer line. Town Square looks like a great starters set for any kind of FOL that wants to start building cities.

When I see the town square I think of the 7641 Street Corner because both have a bus, a pizza shop,and a shop that sells bikes.

Edited by theultimatetoa001

I have to admit, the ones I like the look of best are the racing car and the monster truck transporters. Plenty of action with those without needing the emergency services.

I can't tell if the Town Square set comes with a baseplate. It looks like it might not.

A baseplate in a LEGO set? :lol:

Do you think this is the 90s. :p

Actually, I'm one of the few that are not liking the new Town Square. For my taste, there's too many panels, and trans-blue windows are not my favourite. The highlights for me are the red bus, and the monument, although I can't see if the statue's hands are lbg or dbg? However, I can see the appeal of the set for many, offering many different features. Somehow, I see this set as a continuation of the City Corner and Public Transport sets.

I think part of the reason for the pizza joint is that pizza is a really well-liked food item pretty much worldwide. Burgers, perhaps to a certain extent, but I don't think they appeal to everyone's cultural sensibilities. When I visited Costa Rica a little over a year ago, I seem to recall pizza being a much more common menu item than burgers, though that may be selective memory.

No idea about the bike shop, except that perhaps kids like it since it rolls the appeal of buildings and vehicles into one cohesive whole.

I think clearly TLG is paying an homage of sorts to the City Corner, which seems odd considering its only a few years old...

The City Square is a must have for me to get the bus. Why don't TLG sell any buses on their own like they do with all the trucks which are a similar size? Buses are one of the vehicles where you might want identical multiples... Cynical part of my mind says it's because they know how popular buses would be and that there's suckers like me out there willing to buy these big sets (City Corner, Public Transport and now City Square) just to get the bus!

The pizza place and bike shop are OK and can at least very easily be modified into other retail/food outlets plus they don't look as flat and 2D as the City Corner buildings. The crane seems an odd choice and I don't see anything different in it compared to the crane in the construction site from a couple of years ago. Little accessories and ride on mower are fine.

I'm a City collector so must have the set anyway and it's a bonus that it includes a bus and new bus stickers so overall I'm happy.

Cheers

Rog

Oh my! I am foaming at the mouth thanks to 60026 City Square. Iwas not expecting that. Such great additions for any city. The only thing that irks me a little, is yet another color scheme for a bus. That's 3 within the last year or so. It's not so bad though, because I do know that cities have more than one type of bus company.

And ooh the new tools!

Edited by Legocrazy81

At least something else than fire/police :thumbup:

And thanx for TLG to bring back train doors, but two 4182 right doors? Why not make the other one a left 4181? Rather bad for MOC'ing and BL will be filled with black 4182s :sceptic:

And it's not a baseplate, just a regular 16 x 16 dbg plate found in many current and new sets

While these stes are not for me, it's much better than last wave

I do agree that the crane seems out of place. That, and the really poor sweeper, could have been exchanged for another nice building, imo that is

Also, I'm not too fond of TLG getting into 8 wide vehicles (crane and Octan racer truck) again, while buildings seem to get smaller

Wow, thanks so much for sharing those pics!

The Coast Guard set and the racing car look really good!

I'm not all that fond of the colours of the town square, but I'm sold!