Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I took another look at the Q1 wave today, and it's great! I'll definitely getting all three really small Fire/Police sets, the Burning House, the Museum, and maybe the Chase McCain set.

Over on the Brickset forum, Ma1234 noticed that the new LEGO Club Magazine has what might be a drawing of the elusive set 60009 on page 24 (of the US version at least). On the yellow pickup truck, the license plate has 60009. The drawing also shows a boarded up building, a boat, and a helicopter using the nose piece used for several recent choppers. Looks like it could be an interesting set if that is what it includes.

Over on the Brickset forum, Ma1234 noticed that the new LEGO Club Magazine has what might be a drawing of the elusive set 60009 on page 24 (of the US version at least).

I assume this is the page you're referring to? (I can't make out the license plate number even at the highest resolution.)

8143769727_be3f761d7c_z.jpg

Lego Club Nov-Dec 12 Magazine by murphquake, on Flickr

I'm just not sure I agree with that comment. Are kids these days really that different from when we were kids?

Yes and no. Kids have always wanted action and adventure in there play time. whether you were both in the 70's, 80's, 90's or 10 years ago, action has always been in the for front and i don't think that will ever change. However, kids nowadays thanks to video games, tablet pcs, smart phones, kids attention spans are getting smaller and smaller every year. Especially when kids are getting these devices at younger and younger ages. IN one of my nephews freshman high school classes, while the teacher is giving the lessons, the students actually text in their answers. Never knew it was that difficult to raise your hand. While TLC is not a direct competitor for these items, they still have to keep the kids attention. Unfortunutly, a post office and library isn't going to cut it.

I think Town/City has a very different appeal than stuff like Ninjago or even Castle or Space. Kids (and adults like me!) who are into Town are into it because they want to model what they see around them in real life, Yes, even post offices! It's more akin to a model train hobby.

That's fundamentally different than the kids who are into the more action and conflict-driven themes. TLC is ignoring this fact, and is letting the "Play Theme" concept (vehicle-driven sets with built-in conflict) bleed over into Town. I think that's a mistake. Town is unique amongst all of TLC's themes, and should be designed and marketed to meet those unique needs. There are plenty of other action-based themes for those kids who are into that sort of thing. For the other types of kids (and adults) whose interests lie in modeling real life, it's discouraging to see TLC focus all its energies on action and conflict.

I high lighted your adult comments because i think your thinking of this to much from an adult perspective. Your interested in making an accurate town setting with shops, post office, libraries, etc. TLC hasn't completely ignored this as they've done similar things with the modular town sets. But for the most part, no matter what theme, they want a little fantasy with there play. They want action. Think of it this way..

Put a mail truck and Fire engine next to each other and see which one the child's would rather have/play with and or think is "cooler". I'll bet you a Town center that 9.9 times out of ten there going to pic the Fire Engine. And why not? Fire engines provide a lot more accessories and more senerios for kids. You may not agree as an adult, but sales facts and research doesn't lie.

As far as comparing town theme to a model train hobby i don't think that accurate either. Model train hobby main focus is the train itself. The train is what gets "played with" while the buildings and details are set up and for the most part never touched again. In fact, for the most part model train buildings and even vehicles for that matter are very fragile and are not designed to be played with. There made to be just what they are. Models. LEGO is designed to played with and the whole town is generally played with. Kids don't just build the sets and let them sit on display.

Could City designers be running out of ideas so they must rehash old ones, pity they didn't invest the same amount of money as they invested into Friend's as into improving City.....though I'm still happy in what we are getting next year.....then again I guess I could also always MOC build a post office and grocery store right ? :wink:

I think you guys are over thinking this. We get re-hashes of fire and police because these are what sells the best in the city theme. This is no secret You might want a grocery store and post office. But 9 times out of 10, kids are going to pic police/fire over a post office or grocery store. Again, its about giving them what they want.

I think you guys are over thinking this. We get re-hashes of fire and police because these are what sells the best in the city theme. This is no secret You might want a grocery store and post office. But 9 times out of 10, kids are going to pic police/fire over a post office or grocery store. Again, its about giving them what they want.

Ah, but what do the police and fire units protect.....themselves, no.........there are shops and homes.....plus people too ! :wink:

Hence the museum set next year, it's getting robbed so the police are trying to catch them in the act. Same to the bank set, a robbery in progress......so what's wrong with a bag snatcher at the supermarket ?

The fire theme next year has at least a building, a bin, a oil storage unit and a boat on fire.....things for to be protected like in real life.

Now the only way to get a shop or something other than a police or fire set is it in a police or fire set.....oh, well.....we can all do with a bit of action eh ? :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

I suspect Lego is thinking that we AFOLs City fans get our buildings fix from Creator/Modulars so they don't need to devote as many actual "City" sets to us, hence the over-abundance of Police/Fire in the actual "City" theme.

I assume this is the page you're referring to? (I can't make out the license plate number even at the highest resolution.)

That's the one. Not surpising it is hard to make out in the photo, I have the book in my hand and it is tought to make out. It appears to be RK60009.

I suspect Lego is thinking that we AFOLs City fans get our buildings fix from Creator/Modulars so they don't need to devote as many actual "City" sets to us.

The number of City sets ever devoted to AFOLs looks like 0 to me. I challenge you to name one :wink:

EDIT: think I misread the SheepEater's post and I should wind my neck in. I'd missed the point about buildings. Makes sense.

Edited by andythenorth

The number of City sets ever devoted to AFOLs looks like 0 to me. I challenge you to name one :wink:

What about th 8404 Public transport set?? I think that is one set devoted to AFOL's. But, agree, it might be more...haha!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

10184 Town Plan.....even though it's not city in name....the buildings totally are. :wink:

Actually, 4207 garage could be considered AFOL as well......high part count can mean older age group. :wink:

Lego Club Nov-Dec 12 Magazine by murphquake, on Flickr

Isn't that the helicopter that was leaked on the Argos website a few months ago?

EDIT: Nope, this seems to be a different one...

Edited by Ricecracker
Please don't quote images

It's interesting that both 8404 and 4207 were named as AFOLs oriented sets... they are the only large City (actually named CITY) sets I have bought since the 7905 tower crane from 2006, and those three are the only large city sets I own from the 2000s and beyond (10159 does NOT count as a 2000s set).

Edited by SheepEater

It's interesting that both 8404 and 4207 were named as AFOLs oriented sets... they are the only large City (actually named CITY) sets I have bought since the 7905 tower crane from 2006, and those three are the only large city sets I own from the 2000s and beyond (10159 does NOT count as a 2000s set).

Oop's, you're right....that huge crane.....must rebuild mine. :blush: (just remembered.......early 00's train shed is an AFOL build :wink: )

Anyway, this talk is leading us all away from 2013 sets.......we don't want to upset 'Rick' do we ? :blush:

I've heard talk of the Chase Mcain minifigure in the 2013 set being different to the Target exclusive polybag version.

If so, what differences are there?

I've heard talk of the Chase Mcain minifigure in the 2013 set being different to the Target exclusive polybag version.

If so, what differences are there?

From what I can tell, he lacks the arm printing and waist printing of the polybag (which is not exclusive to Target, although Target is the only one giving them out so far; he's supposed to be a reward for people who preorder Lego City: Undercover).

From what I can tell, he lacks the arm printing and waist printing of the polybag (which is not exclusive to Target, although Target is the only one giving them out so far; he's supposed to be a reward for people who preorder Lego City: Undercover).

Additionally, I believe the preorder bonus fig has a zippered pouch printed on his torso where the 2013 variant has a walkie-talkie.

I just being checking TRU's US website and found this....."

LEGO City Helicopter Arrest

No image though and a retail price of 54.99 US.......plus it claims NEW.....could this be lucky number 14 set for the first half releases ?

http://www.toysrus.c...ductId=16824776

How did you find it? It sounds weird...

Edited by just2good

By the way, I wonder what'll become of that police helicopter that leaked some months ago. It's four-digit set number certainly doesn't fit anymore, and the style of it doesn't really look in line with the new police sets either. A set lost in time, never to be released?

I noticed on brickset that they now list a set called "helicopter arrest" with the number 60009. I wonder if this helicopter originally listed as 4473 will be the same set? After all the minifig is holding an arrester hook. Would kind of make sense.

http://brickset.com/...2013&Theme=City

Edited by Ricecracker
Please don't quote images