Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Great to see the Octan tanker photo. Good looking truck and will also be a cheap way to get more parts for Octan railway wagons :sweet:

I am actually really disappointed with this year's City sets. Most Fire sets seem very similar to other past sets (The lighting repair truck, the large tow truck from the old garage, the most recent fire station's ladder truck. The new fire station looks exceptionally blocky, and it doesn't even have side walls on the tower! The Police sets seem nice, but I am not too sure if I like the 6-wide red car. It's not going to match my fleet of 4 wide cars. The dark blue of the police cars is really nice, but, again, it will seem out of place with my regular blue and white police squad.

The "Great" vehicles are a big letdown as well. The cement truck is nice, but the yellow color is a huge turnoff for me. Too many vehicles have been yellow, orange, or red, and the last cement truck was nice because of the semi-unique blue color. Just imagine if the cement truck was dark red or sand blue! That would have been an amazing set!

The other two sets, the flatbed truck and the tank truck, both seem a bit odd. The nose of the flatbed looks like a strange application for those new hood parts, and the tank truck, assuming it will also be at the $20 US price point as the rest of the vehicles, it a straight downgrade from the last one, which was very well designed and much larger.

I can only hope the next wave will be better.

Gee, there's a little bit of dislike for the fire sets eh ?

But what's not to love about them.....new fire fighter torso's, new parts to make realistic ladder trucks, realistic fire station of course minus the fire pole where it is....too much Red Bull they have been drinking I think ! :rofl:

In Oz we have more yellow cement trucks than any other colour....I'm going to modify mine to say 'Boral' on it ! :wink:

Great Vehicles a let down, that's your opinion but I feel that it's the same level of inventiveness and creativity in the design.....with my catch-cry 'realistic' ! :classic:

I believe it is a window from the LEGO train subtheme.

I didn't realise they did these, it's just what I need for a 1950's lorry I'm building.

Cheers.

I really like the Octan truck. I like the fact that the flatbed car carrier has a new type of frontend (or atleast looks different from what they did previous years), as most city cars and trucks of the last few years all had the same basic frontend design (and indeed you see them again this time with the octan truck, cement mixer, ladder truck, etc.)

I didn't realise they did these, it's just what I need for a 1950's lorry I'm building.

Cheers.

/Off-topic

Very nice part indeed! Afaik this part is (or has been) available in black, old dark gray, red, green and now this new dark blue, which is a great color for train building!

Very nice part indeed! Afaik this part is (or has been) available in black, old dark gray, red, green and now this new dark blue, which is a great color for train building!

Except that the glass is trans-blue, making it useless for adult builders!

Except that the glass is trans-blue, making it useless for adult builders!

This is true. When I saw this part, the first thing I thought was 'that is totally useless'. Really, I wonder why TLG bother. My collection is now worthless, and I certainly will be buying less lego in future.

This is true. When I saw this part, the first thing I thought was 'that is totally useless'. Really, I wonder why TLG bother. My collection is now worthless, and I certainly will be buying less lego in future.

This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that "their collection is worthless" because of something in a new set they don't even own, and I'm trying to understand how it could possibly make sense. The existence of new products wouldn't seem to have anything to do with the value of one's collection, unless they valued their collections only in terms of what other people would be willing to pay, which is pretty shallow to begin with. And if new parts were so worthless, wouldn't this make the older parts in your collection more valuable in those terms, since there would be more demand for them than for the parts in newer sets?

This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that "their collection is worthless" because of something in a new set they don't even own, and I'm trying to understand how it could possibly make sense

WELL TO ME IT SHOWS LEGO IS NOT TAKING SERIOUS COLLECTORS SERIOUSLY. SO I FEEL ALL MY INVESTMENT HAS BEEN FOR NOTHING. I FEEL CHEATED AND LET DOWN. ETC ETC.

Also I updated my sig with a link that should be better known on Eurobricks :wink:http://www.lugnet.co...traumaticevents

Edited by andythenorth

What's with the negativity everyone......remember Lego is for children of all ages.....including us big kids at heart. :wink:

That particular piece will be handy to make old school land rovers or prime movers even.....it's Lego only your imagination is the limitation to what you can do with it ! :classic:

I feel bagging one part could be scooting in the direction of off-topic, we don't want to upset the mod's do we ? :wink:

Anyway, has anyone seen the missing 14th set.....according to a Lego City contest over on Lego.com - part of first prize was all 14 sets for Lego City 2013 first wave.......could it be 60009 ?

Just for the record, I think Andythenorth is being sarcastic. Read the Lugnet link he posted, it is quite funny, but could use some updating.

Sal

WFB, WI

I'm normally a big fan of the Fire sub-theme of City/Town, but I gotta say these are leaving me rather cold. For starters, it just feels like it's way too many sets. There's no reason at all for 60002 and 60003 to be separate sets. They should've put the (much better) fire engine from 60002 in with the building from 60003 and called it a day. Now there are three sets with ladder trucks (those two plus the one in the fire station set) and there's no point to have that many, especially when the vehicle designs are so lackluster (save for the one in 60002 which looks decent and something like a real fire truck).

Also not a fan of the new firefighter minifigures. The dark red helmets (which look great with the yellow forest firefighters) don't look good at all with the black uniforms, and those torsos with the orange printing on them quite frankly look like misprints on the wrong colour torso. Why on earth would you put a print made to look like an orange jacket on a black torso? The other torsos (and the new head prints) look better, but still nowhere near as good as the previous non-forest firefighters.

On the upside, I love that they're incorporating some kind of structure that is on fire (or cat in a tree) that needs rescuing. That's something that's always been lacking with firefighter sets (more or less) so that's a very positive development as a Fire sub-theme fan. I'm also thrilled to see them do a helicopter "from scratch" rather than resorting to those big pieces that every helicopter/airplane had for years and years.

I'm actually more impressed by the police sets than the fire sets, and I don't really ever buy any police sets. The new catburglar thieves look fantastic, torsos and the heads, and the new police officers look pretty good too.

...and those torsos with the orange printing on them quite frankly look like misprints on the wrong colour torso. Why on earth would you put a print made to look like an orange jacket on a black torso?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I didn't understand the orange on the black figures either.

Well, what a surprise. Who would have thought of making Fire and Police sets in Lego? :laugh:

I like the building in the museum heist, but a little more museum and one less vehicle would have made it much better IMO.

Just for the record, I think Andythenorth is being sarcastic. Read the Lugnet link he posted, it is quite funny, but could use some updating.

Sal

WFB, WI

Well, I read the link he posted and yes it is quite similar. Thanks for getting me to read this. :)

WELL TO ME IT SHOWS LEGO IS NOT TAKING SERIOUS COLLECTORS SERIOUSLY. SO I FEEL ALL MY INVESTMENT HAS BEEN FOR NOTHING. I FEEL CHEATED AND LET DOWN. ETC ETC.

Also I updated my sig with a link that should be better known on Eurobricks :wink:http://www.lugnet.co...traumaticevents

No reason to shout here. I think most people do not know the link you posted and only after knowing it, we can understand that you are not serious at all ;)

This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that "their collection is worthless" because of something in a new set they don't even own, and I'm trying to understand how it could possibly make sense. The existence of new products wouldn't seem to have anything to do with the value of one's collection, unless they valued their collections only in terms of what other people would be willing to pay, which is pretty shallow to begin with. And if new parts were so worthless, wouldn't this make the older parts in your collection more valuable in those terms, since there would be more demand for them than for the parts in newer sets?

Now you might understand (as I did).

The orange on black is supposed to represent a hi-viz tabard style vest rather than a jacket. Motorcycle fire and police wear them over their leathers.

By the way, I wonder what'll become of that police helicopter that leaked some months ago. It's four-digit set number certainly doesn't fit anymore, and the style of it doesn't really look in line with the new police sets either. A set lost in time, never to be released?

7686810742_e4a6920838.jpg

The orange on black is supposed to represent a hi-viz tabard style vest rather than a jacket. Motorcycle fire and police wear them over their leathers.

I get what they're supposed to look like, but it looks absolutely horrible nevertheless. They should've used those old vest accessories instead, or made up a new accessory similar to the life vests. Plus, as you point out, if only a motorcycle fireman would wear it, why are there minifigures in every other set with that torso? You wouldn't run into a burning house with a vest on.

I'm normally a big fan of the Fire sub-theme of City/Town, but I gotta say these are leaving me rather cold. For starters, it just feels like it's way too many sets. There's no reason at all for 60002 and 60003 to be separate sets. They should've put the (much better) fire engine from 60002 in with the building from 60003 and called it a day. Now there are three sets with ladder trucks (those two plus the one in the fire station set) and there's no point to have that many, especially when the vehicle designs are so lackluster (save for the one in 60002 which looks decent and something like a real fire truck).

Also not a fan of the new firefighter minifigures. The dark red helmets (which look great with the yellow forest firefighters) don't look good at all with the black uniforms, and those torsos with the orange printing on them quite frankly look like misprints on the wrong colour torso. Why on earth would you put a print made to look like an orange jacket on a black torso? The other torsos (and the new head prints) look better, but still nowhere near as good as the previous non-forest firefighters.

On the upside, I love that they're incorporating some kind of structure that is on fire (or cat in a tree) that needs rescuing. That's something that's always been lacking with firefighter sets (more or less) so that's a very positive development as a Fire sub-theme fan. I'm also thrilled to see them do a helicopter "from scratch" rather than resorting to those big pieces that every helicopter/airplane had for years and years.

I'm with you on this Graysmith. When I heard there was to be 3 fire engines in 2013, I thought there would have been a mix type but when I first saw the pictures of the fire theme I wondered why they had made them all on the Turntable Ladder version albeit 60002 is a combined type, 60003 is a midi and 60004 has an out and out stand alone TL but some different variet would have gone down better. Its not even as if the 60004 engine has more extentions over 60003.

The red helmets just don't go with the black fire uniforms do they. Come on TLG give us yellow ones.

And its good that they have continued the forest fire fighting into the urban environment by giving the firefighters fires to put out.

You could see that point if it was just the motor cycle firefighter with the Hi viz but there are firefighters in the other sets wearing them.

You could see that point if it was just the motor cycle firefighter with the Hi viz but there are firefighters in the other sets wearing them.

At least here in the U.S. firefighters wear Hi viz vests (lime green) at auto accidents. I would venture the HEO (engine driver) wears them at fires since he dose not usually enter the building and stays out in the road by the trucks. I think that is why there is only one firefighter with the orange vest per set.

I will probably be buying just 2 of the 60002 as I think it is the cheapest way to get 4 ladder pieces. I'm not super sold on the railings, but I'll see how 2 end to end look on my new larger ladder truck MOC I just finished.

Sal

WFB, WI

At least here in the U.S. firefighters wear Hi viz vests (lime green) at auto accidents. I would venture the HEO (engine driver) wears them at fires since he dose not usually enter the building and stays out in the road by the trucks. I think that is why there is only one firefighter with the orange vest per set.

I will probably be buying just 2 of the 60002 as I think it is the cheapest way to get 4 ladder pieces. I'm not super sold on the railings, but I'll see how 2 end to end look on my new larger ladder truck MOC I just finished.

Sal

WFB, WI

I was kind of thinking along the same lines that it maybe the drivers wearing them but on 60004 the FF tackling the fire has it on. But then again its just a photo and a kids toy! lol

I wonder what 2 of these railing will look like together and I wish TLG had made a longer ladder piece.

Scott

Well, lightningtiger (and everybody else)

The reason I'm dissapointed is that TLG have given us such MANY lovely sets for City in the past. And now it's all turned into only fire/police/construction .. and if there's a building, it's a boring 8x16 whatever thing .. Cool buildings are Creator and/or Modular for some reason

I'm sadden by the fact that CIty have turned into only fire/police/construction vehicle theme

As you all know LEGO was only City (town or whatever they used to call it), you know daily life with all it's doings. Space, Castle, Technic, licensed stuff came much later

City is where it began. But the City is dead. Only filed with cops and robbers. And a lot of fire I guess (no houses to burn though)

One used to be able to build an ENTIRE city just out of LEGO (no MOCing!), you had it all from the burgerstand, to the cottage house, to the family house, to the public works, to the gas station, to the garage, to the racetrack, to the marina, the port, various fig packs, trees, signs, little cars/trucks etc and what not .. and of course the police/fire station (but they were not the only main sets of a year)

And you could see it all in one catalog! Whoha!

That was awesomly inspiring for a kid like me. And I know it is for my son too as we like to go through dads old shit :sweet: (And he wants me to buy all that stuff, it's getting rather expensive this BL thing ... )

All that could be completed with a vast amount of trains, tracks and assorted buildings to boot! You had _everything_ (But if you want _everything_ today, MOC is the only way to do it. Bad way to sell a product, me thinks)

That was FUN! :laugh:

I'm old, my heyday was from '78 to '89. Back then we had all sorts of luvly buildings and various vehicles. I miss that

I really do

Also, I think there's been a lot of great vehicles in the last five years. Next years offerrings are no better. No development

So, I'm dissapointed. Last five years didn't give me that 'city feeling', but at least there was cool vehicles. Not so this year

I guess I'll only be BL'ing that dark blue train window and the new fire ladder ..

(Lastly, I'd also like to teach my son about daily life in _my/(our)_ LEGO city where there's very few fires and robbers. Just like our real life)

Sorry, if I've strayed to far of the topic, but I just had to let it out ... :wub:

I can understand where you're coming from, 1974. I suppose the 'heyday' is a subjective thing that depends on what sets were around when you were a child...for instance my own 'golden age' was the tail-end of the 80s and early 90s; there were shops, houses, racetracks, airports, train stations, a futuristic monorail...I'm, still doing a post-Dark Ages catch-up of what's on offer now, but none of it is as charming or imaginative to my eyes as what was around then.

The new 'City' is I suppose intended to be colourful and exciting for today's generation, but TBH it always was exciting! I don't think kids' expectations have changed all that much. Not as far as the Town/City theme is concerned, anyway.

Right now I'm trying to decide, assuming none of the new stuff catches my interest, whether I should pick up second-hand 'old' sets that I couldn't afford when I was young, or start collecting the Modular range.

Edited by Martin_B

I've looked at a lot of BL/Peeron stuff (mostly catalogues) and sure, there was a healthy CIty development well into the late 90's, I dig a lot of that (bought plenty, through BL, too). But I was growing up, LEGO was somehow not part of that. Silly me

Then (I'm sure we all can agree) it all went into pure rubbish and surfaced again sometime in the mid 2000s. Mostly great vehicles, not a lot buildings and just the RC trains. Should have peaked right now, and it sure did with the Modulars, but City is still somewhat empty. Just a tall white house with a pizza corner and a bus

Another (sub)theme I really liked as a kid, was the post/mail stuff. Where is that now?