Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

it wouldn't be expensive to just put 2-3 tactical vests in sets...Lego sets are shrinking and getting smaller while the prices are even higher than before..so I think adding two or three vest to a set wouldn't kill lego...BRICKWARRIOR or BRICKFORGE both offer vests...for lego would be lot easier and cheaper to produce few vests instead of painting...

in therm of new sets, I am disappointed, since Lego is making the sets more and more expensive while the number of pieces get smaller...just compare the hospital from 2006 with the new hospital...it is almost 30%-40% smaller.... museum is so small now that you almost could use it as a kiosk or coffee shop!!! maybe a little kid who'sbetween 5 to 7 wouldn't realize such things...but there are also lot of older kids or adults which buy lego for displaying or to create city dioramas or brick movies ...and believe me if lego will continue this policy they will soon or later start to loose costumers....

I know I am going to open a can of worms with this one, but I don't think it is the expense of adding a few vests. I think it is more to do with Lego's long held stance concerning guns and violence in their city theme sets. It may seem utterly trivial to some of us, but I think Lego does make a slight and subtle distinction between the uniform printing on a minifig, and a clearly defined play feature such as a removable vest. In the case of the printing, it is the officers uniform. A modern type of uniform that we and kids see every day. But by adding it as that separate piece it adds a much greater degree of context to it. Enough that they are probably keeping it clear of at least the city line. It's not like they don't have the vest molds. They made them for Agents 2.0. But notice how that piece was never ever made without the Agents logo printing? I think that is a lot of what is going on there. The torso printing is simply "modern police uniform, with radios, big Police lettering, etc" the vest piece is tactical or military gear. Not allowed in the younger trending city line.

And yeah I know it's subtle.

Well, I do have to give a bit of a sigh due to repetitive sets...but they do look good. I doubt I'll be buying the Station simply because I have the previous one. I love the burning, albeit abandoned, house. It'll work nicely with the Creator houses. That museum is grossly undersized, but I do like it. They coukdve left out the chopper and and added more to the building. Chase set is cool too. Decent City offerings here.

I know I am going to open a can of worms with this one, but I don't think it is the expense of adding a few vests. I think it is more to do with Lego's long held stance concerning guns and violence in their city theme sets. It may seem utterly trivial to some of us, but I think Lego does make a slight and subtle distinction between the uniform printing on a minifig, and a clearly defined play feature such as a removable vest. In the case of the printing, it is the officers uniform. A modern type of uniform that we and kids see every day. But by adding it as that separate piece it adds a much greater degree of context to it. Enough that they are probably keeping it clear of at least the city line. It's not like they don't have the vest molds. They made them for Agents 2.0. But notice how that piece was never ever made without the Agents logo printing? I think that is a lot of what is going on there. The torso printing is simply "modern police uniform, with radios, big Police lettering, etc" the vest piece is tactical or military gear. Not allowed in the younger trending city line.

And yeah I know it's subtle.

Actually, the vest did appear without printing in Cool Silver, Drum Lacquered (Bricklink's Metallic Silver) in Power Miners.

I'm more inclined to believe my brother's suggestion that the reason for the printed tactical vest is that the designers simply thought a bulky separate vest piece was unrealistic and unnecessary for the City theme when printing has always worked just as well for all other form-fitting clothing.

I'm more inclined to believe my brother's suggestion that the reason for the printed tactical vest is that the designers simply thought a bulky separate vest piece was unrealistic and unnecessary for the City theme when printing has always worked just as well for all other form-fitting clothing.

I totally agree, look carefully at many city torso's - items such as radios, spanners, safety equipment are printed on them....I have no issue with these AWESOME new police minifigs at all ! :wink:

I am really liking these photos! Seems that this year, the Police theme will be '' Nocturnal Crimes'', as ALL box scenes are at night. I am a sucker at police themes ( I like CSI :laugh: ) and I'll be getting some of the police sets. Now I just have to wait until it gets to Portugal (which means that I'll be getting some 6 months after everyone one else gets it :hmpf_bad: ). I'm not a fan of Fire theme, but I may get the burnt house to act as an abandoned house of my very little city. Now I want to see the Great Vehicles photos! :moar: .

60004’s dalmatian looks nice...is it new? I haven’t seen it before, so I am just wondering.

Yep, it's new. :classic:

but I don't think it is the expense of adding a few vests. I think it is more to do with Lego's long held stance concerning guns and violence in their city theme sets. .

so a printed vest is less violence than a made one??? where is the logic?

You must not forget those two words....PRICE POINT.

Parents and grand-parents watch the cash that they splash out on toys, etc.,.

Also the size of the set is to do with it fitting in with other sets....within reason of course.......and saying the 2006 hospital was better....well that's your opinion (off-topic swtich off).

I'm a little puzzled, that images of the great vehicles haven't popped up or shouldn't I.....the original place where the images were found have pulled them. :wink:

I would agree with you if Lego would not only make the sets smaller...LEGO items are getting smaller but the price is getting higher..it is a very easy way to calculate...you have to devide the price by the number of pieces so your result would be the price per piece...than you would realize, the reasons of my disappointment...sets are getting smaller,there are more printing parts instead of real parts and we have year by year higher prices....so how I could be amazed...of course I agree that 2 or 3 city items for 2013 like the helicopter or the burning house look really cool..but I have to look at the whole number of sets to judge abouth the trend...the majority of sets got worse or get smaller comparing to past sets... Lego should really watch, cuz not all buyers are kids between 5-9 ...there older kids, teenagers or even adults like me who like to make Brick Displays and city dioramas ...and if lego will continue like this,people like me will buy less and less newer sets and only focus on getting older sets on amazon or ebay or even consider other products...cuz at the end of the day I expect a reasonable quality for my money...and if Lego continues delivering less for more money, than they might lose some long time costumers Edited by LEGO-MANIA

Remember 'LEGO-MANIA', for city sets we the AFOL are not the intended target in set size or marketing wise. Designers at Lego are given the order to make sets different sizes to fit chosen price points....hence the reason why some sets will have something lame in them because of cost cutting so then it's up to us AFOL's to modify if we wish.....it's all part of our art form....again off-topic switch OFF. :classic:

On-topic.....no prices yet ? :blush:

Plus I'm wondering which sets will be exclusives ? :wink:

Plus I'm wondering which sets will be exclusives ? :wink:

I'm guessing for one exclusive of each subtheme. The Fire line would have the boat (60005), since it's not the largest set, yet the last one to be presented, and what it portrays is rather more specific and slightly less common than the rest of the line.

As for the Police line, I can imagine that the car chase (60007) might be an exclusive, since it advertises for coming with the exclusive figure that appears in that City video game.

There is usually four city sets per year which are exclusives.....I would say the museum and the set with Chase McCain in it....bet you TRU with it's TRU tax on top....but we shall see eh ? :wink:

Time for me to hunt down one of my old informants....if I can ! :blush:

Well its good to see pictures of what the fire series is going to look like even if they are or are not the final production photo's for the dog.

60000 Fire bike is a nice touch, but why didn't TLG bring out a paramedic one this year to go with the ambulance and medical rescue?

60001 Fire car looks ok but would personally use that for cheif attending bigger jobs rather than cat up a tree!!

60002 Fire engine looks like a combined Turntable Ladder (TL)/pump. Looks not to disimilar to the TL engine from the 7208 Fire Station set.

60003 House fire, good that the firefighters are getting a fire to put out. The small Turntable ladder reminds me of the vehicle used as the 7638 tow truck from 2009. i suppose it resembles the smaller type TL's in Germany.

60004 Fire station is a decent size and its good to see both applaince bays/halls side by side rather than being appart as in previous years. Its just a pity the floors of the bays arn't smooth but studded. I also wonder what the small trolley is in bay 2? And about time the chief has been made more distinguishable with the white uniform. Finally from a personnal point of view, I think it would be better if lego replaced the small van the give with a pumper appliance to compliment the Turntable Ladder, which the lorry part looks similar to the appliance from 7945 but with a ladder instead of hydraulic booms

60005 Fire boat is ok

60010 Fire helicopter looks a bit military style albeit in red. Kind of like the sea king search and rescue helicopter. Could we see a new coastgaurd Helicopter soon like this one? but it looks a good set all the same.

If there are any down sides I have to this series is the red helmets, I would like to see yellow. Wether they are new styled or not wouldn't matter and the 3 fire engine offerings do the same functions, ie Turntable Ladders. One could have been a Hydraulic Platform like the applaince from station 7945 which IMO is the best fire truck lego has produced. Another they could have done was a rescue truck just so they had different functions.

Anyway my son will probably still want them as its for the kids all said and done and us AFOL's can mod them.

Got a chance to review the pictures and overall I am pleased. Although Police and Fire themes are getting tiresome, I don't mind these new sets, all the figs have updated designs and TLG is starting to include civilian elements into the sets.

The burning house is an interesting concept, although the structure isn't great, it works. The museum is also a nice set, I will probably pick that one up, although somewhat small, it can be easily expanded, plus I like the contents TLG put in there. :grin:

Is it just me or is LEGO doing a lot of military sets disguised as civilian ones? Last years Firemen 8X8 APC, the Chinook and now next year's police Marauder jeep and Firemen helicopter (looks like a CH-53 or a Sea King)...

Perhaps they are trying ti please those who like military stuff eh ? :laugh:

Besides....I'm still wondering where is the forth great vehicle.....I was told there be four again ? *huh*

Besides....I'm still wondering where is the forth great vehicle.....I was told there be four again ? *huh*

Are you sure, I thought there was 5 in 2012?

Ambulance, Tipper Truck, Car and Caravan, 4WD and Motorbike trailer, Dustcart

I've only seen the pictures for the first half of 2013, an orange flatbed recovery truck, a yellow and grey cement mixer and an octan tanker

Maybe the other 1 or 2 might come later in the year?

Are you sure, I thought there was 5 in 2012?

Ambulance, Tipper Truck, Car and Caravan, 4WD and Motorbike trailer, Dustcart

I've only seen the pictures for the first half of 2013, an orange flatbed recovery truck, a yellow and grey cement mixer and an octan tanker

Maybe the other 1 or 2 might come later in the year?

So I miss counted trump....sorry, my bad.....anyway I have not seen the three vehicle yet, you must have seen the catalogue eh ? :rofl:

2013 looks like it will be a really really good year for city lovers, just because it looks like there will be a nice onslaught of city style buildings spread across a number of themes. In recent years we have mainly gotten vehicles, with yet another Fire house or Police station. Then out of the blue this year we are getting not just the headquarters, but places to do things. We have the museum and the house on fire in city. Plus we have the Daily Bugle and Arkham over in Super heroes. A new modular theater. So far 2013 is looking like a good year for those seeking to add to their city, not simply their fleet of vehicles.

Exactly how I feel about the fire sets. They are still nice and I love the trucks and drk red helmets, but the buildings aren't quite up to par. I would have preferred no new fire station; using that set size as a new hospital and the 60002 [House Fire], close to the size/piece count of the current hospital... 4429 Helicopter Rescue is just too small, more of a medical center than full hospital.

How good would that have been to get a hospital of similar size to the new Fire Station. I think we can only dream as TLG don't seem to have the Medical theme high on the list of priority in Lego city.

How good would that have been to get a hospital of similar size to the new Fire Station. I think we can only dream as TLG don't seem to have the Medical theme high on the list of priority in Lego city.

That's why there are AFOL's who MOC build right ? :wink:

Now on the reason behind not seeing any of the Great Vehicles yet.....perhaps they are being released a few months into next year....where as in Oz and the USA they usually are in January. :wink:

That's why there are AFOL's who MOC build right ? :wink:

Collectors love the product design of LEGO. And that's what we talk about when we criticize a set for its size or design.

Is it just me or is LEGO doing a lot of military sets disguised as civilian ones? Last years Firemen 8X8 APC, the Chinook and now next year's police Marauder jeep and Firemen helicopter (looks like a CH-53 or a Sea King)...

It's actually an HH-3. Brother of the Sea King.

hh-3f-dvic312.jpg

Oh, and don't forget the CH-54 copy for the Dino Hunters helicopter.

I don't think adapting these current models for inspiration is such a bad thing...happy to see something beyond the stereotypical City helicopter.