Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

As I see it, the problem is that the competition doesn't really focus on the core idea of the Technic line; that is, advanced Lego mechanisms [to put it simply!]. As stated by jorgeopesi, this would be better suited as a Model Team challenge, since it is primarily focused on the overall look of the new crawler body :sceptic:

However there's nothing stopping us from adding in some motorized functions into this new body... :thumbup:

It does seem a bit unbalanced towards those with the most experience in 'looks', IMO. Whilst Sariel or efferman may create something that's sturdy and drives well, Paul and drdesignz would create the next Mona Lisa on wheels.

why not?

if paul boratko or any other would be the winner with a gorgeous crawler body, i will have no problem with it.

As criteria for the designers to select the 10 best models, you may think of:

•Overall coolness

•Design details

•Belief that other people will want to buy your design

•Great color schema

•It is build-able with LEGO Technic elements

•Well though functions

•Model/age relationship

•Copy of any 3rd party properties or trademark will be eliminated as a potential winner....

But if tlg lifts only models from kids to the final votes because they are kids, i would be dissappointed.

There are some really cool designs! except that same guy that just recolors and mixes everything, and keeps doing it, not fair to other people with original creations...

Best to develop one without reference to many ideas that has been posted up. There's always a "why I never think of that" when comes to viewing someone's work. Always keep the best for last. I started technic building recently and 9398 will be my 2nd build. Instead of opening up the box to start building it, I've been ordering additional parts to explore during my first build. Will see if I'm able to submit my own design. Try not to look at other's creation as much as possible.

As reported by Conchas on TechnicBRICKS, "The LEGO Technic Challenge Video was released on YouTube. fixe.gif

I've shown it here before through a "bootleg" cam recording. Now in proper format for you to see (although it was already also on LEGO.com/Technic)."

Here is what The Lego Group wrote on their YouTube video: "CREATE! SUBMIT! WIN!

For the first time ever, we are giving you the chance to create a design for LEGO Technic! If you win, your design will be used to produce and launch an exclusive, limited edition LEGO Technic set available for sale online!

Go to: http://www.technic.u...gn/Default.aspx for more info."

Edited by DLuders

And don't forget to make your "shopping list" of elements with respective colours you'd love to see in this new top.

Oh man, I've bent the rules so far with my entry. I'm converting the chassis into a 6x6 lunar rover. It's going to be teal, black, and orange, with a few yellow caution details. However, I'm still thinking about what functions to add, whether I make a small landing platform with a scout jet, or a large, pneumatic crane. What do you think? Also, can you enter the competition more than once? I don't recall seeing anything in the rules about one entry per household, so I assume you can.

Also, can you enter the competition more than once? I don't recall seeing anything in the rules about one entry per household, so I assume you can.

Yes, you can.

Even 6x6 lunar rover should be ok as long as it can be placed on the existing chassis - which most likely means it will be 6x4, with 2 not motorized wheels (unless you add another motor).

Yes, you can.

Even 6x6 lunar rover should be ok as long as it can be placed on the existing chassis - which most likely means it will be 6x4, with 2 not motorized wheels (unless you add another motor).

Well, that's a relief. I've got several entries that are just recolered versions of the standard chassis, as the moon rover is very much a risky project from a technical standpoint. Anyway, you yourself managed to run a power takeoff from one axle to power your engine, whereas to get all wheels driven, I simply duplicated an axle, with it's own drive and steering motor. I'd like to see more stuff like this, with more axles, and stuff. :laugh:

My rover actually includes several rare parts, and some new colors for the panels. I hope you all like it, when and if I finish it.

Well, that's a relief. I've got several entries that are just recolered versions of the standard chassis, as the moon rover is very much a risky project from a technical standpoint. Anyway, you yourself managed to run a power takeoff from one axle to power your engine, whereas to get all wheels driven, I simply duplicated an axle, with it's own drive and steering motor. I'd like to see more stuff like this, with more axles, and stuff. :laugh:

My rover actually includes several rare parts, and some new colors for the panels. I hope you all like it, when and if I finish it.

Moon rover is very good design for this high chassis. With aditional pair of wheels and suspension whole body can be more heavy than bodies for 4x4 chassis and so can have more details and functions.

I wonder what is the expected final price TLG would like to have for the winning design. If they will sell it as an exclusive set, this gives chance to add one or two more motors and still stay within TLG expected price. The simple design I used to get the power for the motor is actually very weak part of the design since the axle have quite large movement possibilities. In extreme case ruber band or micromotor could be a source of power for the engine. It's pittty there are no gears that can slide freely on axles.

is this a case of plagiarism ?

Technically it is fully copied one of my images, but I presume it is not really meant like a real entry. This guy has 2001 in his name, I presume, he is only 11. He even posted comment on the original creation. It looks like moderators do not want to disappoint the kids posting various creations.

@hrontos

Hey, which program do you use to render your models?

Greetz

Markus

I used POV-Ray 3.7. LDD to POV-Ray Converter will help you with model conversion to POV-Ray format. For shark some HDR image was used instead of any lights (it was some kitchen panorama). For the sharkwler traditional lights were used. I used minimal level of details, since rendering of technic models takes ages with full level of details and I wanted more rendered images. Both were rendered at double resolution, without antialiasing and resized down to 50%.

I am seeing three designs which look very simpler to Hrontos...... :look:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I wonder how much will TLG follow the winner's design. They reserved a right to modify it, so I am really curious.

And also how they will balance different quality of posted designs. Many people do not have enough bricks in right colors so they may post a design from some color mixture they have. Design can be cool but that color mixture can make it look odd and people will not vote for it. I do not expect that TLG will build those 10 models, but doing so would put them on the same start line.

I am seeing three designs which look very simpler to Hrontos...... :look:

Those teeth are like a magnet for copying. :classic:

Funny is that when I edited my entry do add that wmv slideshow, they rejected it with a message that such creation was already submited. I had to write them, that I am not adding but modifing. Now they allow even completely same (not even recolored) entries. It looks like moderators resigned.

Is it allowed to use m-motor or some other motor?

Welcome to Eurobricks Pint14.

You can use any Lego motor you like. :sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I went to view the gallery and half of the images are not showing for me. Am I the only one with this problem?

Actually i have already another account but it doesent work after the update.

It's sounds like you may have signed up within five days of the server migration. Unfortunately, they had a problem and had to use a backup, so five days worth of posts were lost. You could have probably signed up again using the original username.

I went to view the gallery and half of the images are not showing for me. Am I the only one with this problem?

I can see ALMOST ALL of the entries; there are a total of four entries in the top 3 rows right now that don't appear. You have to wait for your web browser to load several "clumps" of pictures at the bottom of the Gallery webpage. If you can see this silly entry below, you know that you're seeing them all:

GalleryFile.jpg