Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

I really don't think these huge crawlers will make it pass the judges. Only the suitable sized ones will make it. All I really want to see is basically the xl motor reintroduced in 2013.

Your talking about the rules and how there would be a time frame of some sort, Problem I see. Ok lets say they make a rule that states all entries could not be more than a month old in the making. How are they to know the guy didnt just have something sitting on the shelf he started a year ago. Yeah it would be cheating, but not all people play fare. I agree with Blak Bird too, theres a lot into a set and for them to do something based on a set all ready in production, on the shelfs makes no sense at all. Why not ask people to come with something new, say a new crawler crane ? This is gonna be one to watch for sure, Just doenst seem posable in the amount of time they have and stil expect people to build a viable entry.

Dan

LEGO+Technic+Challenge+1.JPG

There are several things to consider when thinking about possible entries in this Lego Technic Challenge:

A) From this Eurobricks topic ("For the Model or the Parts?"), almost all Technic AFOLs buy sets FOR THE PARTS. So, your MOC entry should contain INTERESTING, DESIRABLE PARTS that people will want to buy in an official Lego Technic set. Would you like more colors offered in a Technic set besides the usual Red and Yellow?

B) Recall the third of three articles that appeared on the LEGO CUUSOO Blog:

set.jpeg

Article 3 (May 30, 2012): "Tips for increasing your project’s chances of passing the LEGO Review with flying colors!"

There were 8 tips in that Lego CUUSOO article, but these 3 tips in particular could apply to models submitted for the Lego Technic Challenge also:

"Your model can actually be too good for CUUSOO. What? Blasphemy! Actually, some advanced building techniques common in the AFOL community aren’t used on official products because it’s too complex for the builder following instructions—even on large models for ages 16+. If your model is a particularly tricky build, our end product could look significantly different—or not pass review at all. LEGO CUUSOO isn’t a place to canonize the best MOCs as official sets, instead, building your CUUSOO model closer to how we design LEGO sets will make it easier to turn your concept into reality. Need help knowing what techniques aren’t allowed? Re-create your model using LEGO Digital Designer."

"Consider your model size and potential cost. While we're known for building large models, not every large model is practical for us to produce from a business perspective. We will not rule out a large model initially, but it might run into trouble when we build a business case."

"Suggesting a new license introduces factors outside of our control. Understand if your idea is for us to produce a new licensed item, you’re introducing factors into the review process that can diminish your chances. Most licenses are owned by large corporations, so striking an agreement requires many stakeholders and legal complexity. Also, some licenses can be exclusive or can forbid us from working with competing brands. Note that if a license doesn’t work out, we will not produce a project as an unlicensed version, since the supporters would have been gained because of the license. While your chances are slim, if your licensed project succeeds you’ll be a hero to fans of your favorite brand!" SO, instead of making a 4x4 model of a Toyota Hilux (for example), recommend making a GENERIC-looking model. The Lego Group does not have a license agreement with Toyota.

C) Lessons Learned from the 9398 4x4 Crawler's Design: The Lego Technic DIFFERENTIALS used in the model reduced its ability to crawl over obstacles. Recommend that your MOC entry use 32072 Knob Wheels (or something similar), instead of Differentials.

32072.gif

The 54120 Balloon tires provided in the 9398 4x4 Crawler set are not as good in "crawling" as the 22969 "Power Puller" wheel + 32298 "Power Puller" tire. So, if you want to see Power Puller wheels/tires offered again in an official Technic set, consider including them in your MOC entry. They are "interesting and desirable" too. :cry_happy:

22969c01.jpg

D) Can your model be made into an alternate "B-Model"? These recent Lego Technic sets all have B-Model building instructions, which make the sets more desirable than models which only have one "A-Model" construction.

E) The winning entry may have to be mailed to The Lego Group to be studied and deconstructed for Building Instructions. Although Blakbird and a few other talented AFOLs have the ability to create Building Instructions from just a few photographs, remember that past Lego Technic Challenges have had a single, tiny photo (or photo composite) submitted for voting. Hopefully, TLG will post LARGER images than the tiny ones used in past Lego Technic Challenges:

87f8b2bb-e87c-4aca-968d-d3d1cc63e385.jpg2fc7b412-5d4d-48b2-bf2f-efb1e419a01d.jpgpic72F1679955EC3AB88F8D387D5C805C45.jpg

Edited by DLuders

thanks for making some things clear. some of my ideas are now canceled, but that power puller tires are be allowed is a good news.

PP wheels are imho dead, this wheels arent in production for a decade so lego will not make it again.

Lego maybe use unimog wheels instead :thumbup: .

I was wondering about out of date parts, like the buggy motor and so on. To make it more desireable to AFOLs I could have a load of flex system parts and many others not seen in a while, but then TLG won't want to make probably any out of date parts again if it requires new molds.

Edited by allanp

thanks for making some things clear. some of my ideas are now canceled, but that power puller tires are be allowed is a good news.

I don't think DLuders has any special inside information about the contest that the rest of us don't have. His post was just his suggestions for what he feels will have a good chance of winning the contest. So don't assume the PP tires will be allowed. I would guess that any out of production parts will not be allowed, but maybe we will be able to suggest current parts in new colors.

Right -- I don't have any "inside information" and am left in the dark just like everybody else! :laugh:

I hope you can use 4 L motors because I just bought two more and another v2 receiver. also do you think using my custom battery will be allowed? because they could just modify the winner to be fitted with original bb's. And I'm not using 12 batteries no matter who tells me, i'll hide 'em if I have to default_laugh_new.gif

I think that waithing is the best solution, and see what the complete contest and rules are and than we can get all loose :laugh:

And let the best builder wins

Edited by VFracingteam

i dont think that they will tolerate thirdparty parts and a crawler like my G chassis would maybe win the contest, but it is to expensive for a official set. or do you think tlg could sell a technic set which costs 250 euros?

i dont think that they will tolerate thirdparty parts and a crawler like my G chassis would maybe win the contest, but it is to expensive for a official set. or do you think tlg could sell a technic set which costs 250 euros?

I think that your chassis wins the contest, if the rules are free, but like you already said it's will be too expensive.

So don't assume the PP tires will be allowed. I would guess that any out of production parts will not be allowed, but maybe we will be able to suggest current parts in new colors.

But what's the point of making another crawler [using the very same parts as 9398], when 9398 has just been released?

Using different tires (larger, smaller) could suggest TLG to make a new tire, if not resurrecting some old part.

Edited by mescalinum

Efferman chassis is awesome... but we should not underestimate the power of many builders, thinking how to win the challenge :laugh: , most amazing things can happen. Of course I hope and think thirdparty parts won´t be tolerated.

Efferman chassis is awesome... but we should not underestimate the power of many builders, thinking how to win the challenge :laugh: , most amazing things can happen. Of course I hope and think thirdparty parts won´t be tolerated.

I think Jorge and hope olso you have right, that whe olny can juse the parts off the 9398 and TLG make a 3 model off it.

I think Jorge and hope olso you have right, that whe olny can juse the parts off the 9398 and TLG make a 3 model off it.

I don´t think it is so limited, that would force future contestants to buy a 9398 and that won´t happen in my case, ugly colors and poor model (in my opinion). I think that will give total freedom, then if you make a 16 wheels crawler will not come Elected and ready :laugh: .

It's strange to already begin to work on a model without knowing the rules. Image you begin to use motors and one of the rules is : no pfs motor inside your model ...

It's strange to already begin to work on a model without knowing the rules. Image you begin to use motors and one of the rules is : no pfs motor inside your model ...

where is the problem? to build a childproof rc is much more problematic than a non rc. when it is against the rules we had much fun during the building and we are constructing something new.

Edited by efferman

where is the problem? to build a childproof rc is much more problematic than a non rc. when it is against the rules we had much fun during the building and we are constructing something new.

Totally agree, if you build a great MOC and it breaks the rules you still have a great moc :thumbup: .

It would be great to design a Lego Technic 4x4 Crawler set that has the OPTION of adding Power Functions elements (like the 9396 Helicopter does -- it is labeled "Ready for Power Functions"). If a parent/child does not have that much money to spend, one could buy just the manually-operated Crawler. One could later add PF elements via the USD $29.99 8293 Lego Power Functions Motor Set (sold separately). Or, perhaps it could be motorized using different PF elements available on this Shop.Lego.com webpage. The new PF L-Motor and PF Servo Motor will be available for purchase separately from Lego.com starting in March 2013 (probably AFTER the Lego Technic Challenge winner's set will be sold) -- they could be included in a Challenge entry. Many people wanted to buy the 9398 4x4 Crawler FOR THOSE NEW MOTORS anyway. :classic:

9396_alt1.jpg8293-1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

That's nice but what is one going to do with a manually operated crawler? That sure would be a boring set :hmpf_bad: . Anyways, a crawler would only be popular if it was rc (like 9398) and not some truck that runs away from once you turn it on :tongue: . In addition, I think TLG should make some rc parts pack for sets (like 8293).

Edited by sama