Lost_In_Noise

Pictorial Review: 8437 Future Car

tn_8437-1.jpg

8467 Future Car was released in 1997, contains 419 pieces, and features full suspension, two-point steering and a 4-cylinder engine powered by a rear differential.

It was $50 on release, and I paid about $35 for mine.

This set comes with a set of 2995 tires, which are the same ones seen in 8858, 8459, 8439, 8465, and 8829.

tn_dscn3495.jpg

This set is the only one to have a red engine crankshaft center piece, and rust colored piston and crankshaft pieces. The steering uses HOG via a flex cable system. Also, one of the first to have the trans cylinder element.

tn_dscn3496.jpg

tn_dscn3497.jpg

We start off with the basic frame.

tn_dscn3498.jpg

tn_dscn3499.jpg

tn_dscn3500.jpg

tn_dscn3501.jpg

To attach the wheelhubs, Long towball plates are used.

tn_dscn3502.jpg

tn_dscn3503.jpg

A long axle with flex parts controls the steering, and leads to the HOG. The leftermost 12T bevel gear will lead to the steering wheel, and the right to the HOG. FInally, the flex system parts is placed on the front end, and attached to the crankshaft piece with a bush.

tn_dscn3506.jpg

tn_dscn3507.jpg

tn_dscn3508.jpg

The rear end of the car is made on its own, before it's placed on the back of the chassis.

tn_dscn3509.jpg

tn_dscn3512.jpg

tn_dscn3513.jpg

The HOG gear is placed on the top.

tn_dscn3515.jpg

tn_dscn3516.jpg

A yellow thin liftarm 5 secured the steering rack, and a "Steering Arm Small" is fastened on each side.

tn_dscn3517.jpg

Tis axle will connect the differential to the engine in the next step. It holds a 16T and a 24T crown gear, giving a final drive ratio of 1: 1,5.

tn_dscn3518.jpg

tn_dscn3519.jpg

The steering wheel is connected to the HOG, and the dashboard is comprised of white thin liftarms.

tn_dscn3520.jpg

tn_dscn3521.jpg

The top of the mullion holds some yellow pin connectors which will be used to attach the engine.

tn_dscn3522.jpg

tn_dscn3524.jpg

tn_dscn3525.jpg

The rear differential sits on a double-bent liftarm, which connects to a shock absorber.

tn_dscn3526.jpg

A series of 16T gears then leads it to the main driveshaft, and another DB beam fixes it in place.

tn_dscn3527.jpg

tn_dscn3528.jpg

tn_dscn3529.jpg

Both axles and shock absorbers in place. The 8T gear serves no purpose.

tn_dscn3531.jpg

Some reinforcing liftarms on the sides.

Now some seats. There are some very nice looking seats in this set. So nice in fact, that they resemble the seats of 8448 and 8880.

tn_dscn3532.jpg

tn_dscn3533.jpg

tn_dscn3534.jpg

Placed on the chassis:

tn_dscn3535.jpg

Now for the engine. A 4-cylinder V for this model. The engine compartment is made old-style with bricks.

tn_dscn3536.jpg

tn_dscn3537.jpg

tn_dscn3538.jpg

After the engine is placed, the rear body is made as a separate structure. The flex axles makes some nice curves here.

tn_dscn3539.jpg

tn_dscn3540.jpg

tn_dscn3541.jpg

The same goes for the windshield.

tn_dscn3547.jpg

tn_dscn3548.jpg

tn_dscn3549.jpg

Finished.

tn_dscn3550.jpg

tn_dscn3551.jpg

tn_dscn3552.jpg

tn_dscn3553.jpg

Doors opened:

tn_dscn3554.jpg

And Bonnet:

tn_dscn3555.jpg

tn_dscn3556.jpg

Comparison with the 8829 and 8048.

tn_dscn3558.jpg

I think this is a great looking set, although it's somewhat odd to have the same tire dimensions in front and back. It's more sturdy than the 8048, and actually managed to fall off my building table without anything breaking :thumbup: . The red cylinder heads are a nice touch, as well as the overall blue colour scheme.

Thanks for watching/reading :classic: . For bigger pics, check my BrickShelf

If you have any questions, just ask.

This was an interesting set. It was one of the first sets to have a mostly studless exterior and was a sign of things to come. The red pistons only appeared in this and one other set, and weren't used again after that year. I also never saw the purpose of all the idler gears in the drivetrain, although they were rare back then so it was always good to have more.

Very nice review. :thumbup: I got this set ages ago and it's currently half in pieces. Keep meaning to put it back together.

Nice review!

The last time i saw this set was in a catalog back in the 90's. It didn't seem very nice to me back then, but this review has actually proved me wrong.

The design and functioning is quite nice.

Keep up these nice reviews! They are very appreciated. :classic:

Nice review!

The last time i saw this set was in a catalog back in the 90's. It didn't seem very nice to me back then, but this review has actually proved me wrong.

The design and functioning is quite nice.

Keep up these nice reviews! They are very appreciated. :classic:

Thank you. I'm heading to the post office today to pick up some new sets, and plan to review at least some of them.

@Lost_In_Noise-

Very nice review...this model has interested me for a while, so I took a chance and actually found 2 MISB and bought them, hardly any sets in blue anywhere, so was the clincher, plus it had those interesting red engine elements and also a rear diff, which is a plus. The alternate model is sub-par, but the buggy/racer is a nice addition to my collection of racers/buggies. I also have the much more recent 8048, the 8829 I am still pondering, it is a bit older than the 8437, and its a bit more odd-looking. Its nice that you compared all 3 side by side to show that all are same scale, nice addition to your pictorial review.

@Paul-

You are right, I also own the 8428 Concept Car, and it is very similar and came out a couple years later, but it is still old school Technic, much like the 8437 is. Odd though, the 8437 used some current style liftarms, whereas the 8428 had more of the older Technic elements. Unfortunately I didn't take as good of care of my 8428, the kids messed it up some and I had to sub a couple of different studded plates for another color, but you don't notice it too much.

Thanks for great review. I was dreaming about this set when I was child. I bought it few years ago and motorized it just with addition of PF parts and one clutch gear.

8437-4.jpg

I thought those wheel spindles that connect to the wishbone ball joints were newer than that! I must get this set from childhood nostalgia which I get with old lego.

Nice review. When I saw this set for the first time, it didn't appeal to me.

But some months ago, I was able to buy a sealed one at a reasonable price, so I built it.

And it is great: the suspension is perfect, neither too stiff nor too soft. Steering works smoothly, and the doors and the hood are cool features.

So, it still looks somewhat strange, but it is fun to build, all the features are well-designed, and we get some interesting parts in unusual colors.

Thanks for great review. I was dreaming about this set when I was child. I bought it few years ago and motorized it just with addition of PF parts and one clutch gear.

@Tomik - I noticed at the bottom of your post you had pics of what I assume are MOCs...what I'm interested is the blue telehandler...did you create that one? If you did, are there are instructions of it?

Never mind, tired eyes (work 3rd shift) didn't make me look hard enough, I found the link and have downloaded the instructions, nice you can use the 8052 Container Truck and don't need extra parts...

Alright, guess I do have a question on the work platform version...the telehandler takes me to a website that has easy to follow instructions in pdf format...the work platform takes me to Brickshelf with 50 some jpg images that isn't as detailed as far as parts needed, and the need to print each jpg image separately with all the Brickshelf stuff above and below the actual instruction pic on each jpg...are these or can these be put in a pdf format so I can larger images and print continuously without having to go back to each page? Just wondering...maybe you or another member can walk me through how to meld those images into pdf format...pardon my ignorance, I'm not a great PC guy, but Lego enthuiast and I tend to build a lot of MOCs others post because they are ingenious models from great, creative expert builders....thanks

Great alternate models, both of them...much better than the actual 8052's alt model...

Thanks

Edited by TechnicFreak

@Tomik -

You are among the best MOC builders I have seen, I took a look-see at your blog and the models you come up with from existing sets are incredible. I'm definitely going to build that telehandler, it looks perfect. That is one type of construction machine that Lego has lacked to produce in medium scale, the 8295 was large but not really all that likeable, I hated the steering, if you had it on carpet forget it, even on hard surfaces the wheels hardly turned and the same blah yellow. The blue look in your telehandler and platform truck are great models indeed among all the others...I saw your forklift, but can't find any instructions for it...am guessing you haven't produced any jpgs or pdfs for that one...

Epic bump but I just saw this set for sale MISB at a local shop for $75. If I really wanted it, it would be easy to buy online for $35 used but man. Seeing an actual new set from 1997 with the open-flap lid front cover showing all the pieces inside just destroyed me...sweating bullets wanting to go back and buy this thing.

19 hours ago, Josh120 said:

Epic bump but I just saw this set for sale MISB at a local shop for $75. If I really wanted it, it would be easy to buy online for $35 used but man. Seeing an actual new set from 1997 with the open-flap lid front cover showing all the pieces inside just destroyed me...sweating bullets wanting to go back and buy this thing.

A few weeks ago I bought MISB too, but still waiting to be opened. Even though I bought a used set many years ago. But if there is a bargain, you have to take advantage of it, it's always new, complete and in perfect condition. Somehow 1.5 years ago I came my dream with the new 8446 :)

21 hours ago, Josh120 said:

Oh yes, the flip up lid and the desirable parts displayed in their own special bits tray, yup, that'll get ya!