Sign in to follow this  
TheMagician

Double VIP Points in October?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if any of you know whether LEGO will offer double VIP points in October again like they did in the past two years (at least they did here in Germany).

I still don't think it's worth it. That's potentially saving 10% (not including tax) on future purchases as opposed to the normal 5%. I can almost always find better deals even at the doubling rate with Amazon being one of the main sources of cheaper Lego. Plus with Amazon Prime I get free 2 day shipping (which for some reason half the time is ONE day shipping or even once SAME DAY shipping).

So... not sure if I'm going to end up buying Lego direction from Lego again because it's just more expensive. I saved up a lot of VIP points previously and just ending up thinking "that's it?" when I spent them. They really don't go very far.

I still don't think it's worth it. That's potentially saving 10% (not including tax) on future purchases as opposed to the normal 5%. I can almost always find better deals even at the doubling rate with Amazon being one of the main sources of cheaper Lego. Plus with Amazon Prime I get free 2 day shipping (which for some reason half the time is ONE day shipping or even once SAME DAY shipping).

So... not sure if I'm going to end up buying Lego direction from Lego again because it's just more expensive. I saved up a lot of VIP points previously and just ending up thinking "that's it?" when I spent them. They really don't go very far.

I want to agree with you - and, as a long time Amazon user, have seriously considered Amazon prime... but to extend what you've written, I still can't decide if it's worth it. Most of the stuff is free shipping anyway if you go over $25.00 (granted, it's not 2 day), and I don't think the other A.P. services will have much value for me.

But I also don't see these great savings you speak of. Whenever I look for the stuff I want, it's no cheaper - or if it is, only fractionally so (a buck or two off $99 isn't all that). Sometimes there are great sales, but they are only useful if: a) I haven't already purchased the product, and b) it's something I actually want. The three things rarely coincide (decent sale, a and b).

So... the bottom line is that 10% off future purchases is not that bad a deal. This month, also, S@H is giving free shipping and a free gift (and who can't use another zombie?) for orders over $75.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes Amazon is a great way to buy LEGO, but sometimes S@H or the LEGO Store are, too. You always have to look at the time you're buying for the best deal.

Edit: the post prompted me to look... I'm even seeing Amazon prices (granted, it's third party) that are HIGHER than S@H - one seller is selling the 32x32 green baseplate on sale for $6.99 (down from $9.99). Really? $4.99 on S@H! That's a TRU tactic. Whatever... the point is to always shop around.

Edited by fred67

I want to agree with you - and, as a long time Amazon user, have seriously considered Amazon prime... but to extend what you've written, I still can't decide if it's worth it. Most of the stuff is free shipping anyway if you go over $25.00 (granted, it's not 2 day), and I don't think the other A.P. services will have much value for me.

But I also don't see these great savings you speak of. Whenever I look for the stuff I want, it's no cheaper - or if it is, only fractionally so (a buck or two off $99 isn't all that). Sometimes there are great sales, but they are only useful if: a) I haven't already purchased the product, and b) it's something I actually want. The three things rarely coincide (decent sale, a and b).

So... the bottom line is that 10% off future purchases is not that bad a deal. This month, also, S@H is giving free shipping and a free gift (and who can't use another zombie?) for orders over $75.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes Amazon is a great way to buy LEGO, but sometimes S@H or the LEGO Store are, too. You always have to look at the time you're buying for the best deal.

Edit: the post prompted me to look... I'm even seeing Amazon prices (granted, it's third party) that are HIGHER than S@H - one seller is selling the 32x32 green baseplate on sale for $6.99 (down from $9.99). Really? $4.99 on S@H! That's a TRU tactic. Whatever... the point is to always shop around.

Non-standard stuff like the baseplates are more expensive on Amazon because they don't have much of a supply there compared to Lego (stuff I don't generally buy). But basically every standard set will be cheaper. And they go on sale quite commonly. I check for lego sales most days. I just got Jabba's Palace for $102 with free shipping. Amazon loves putting Lego on like 20% sales every now and then.

Non-standard stuff like the baseplates are more expensive on Amazon because they don't have much of a supply there compared to Lego (stuff I don't generally buy). But basically every standard set will be cheaper. And they go on sale quite commonly. I check for lego sales most days. I just got Jabba's Palace for $102 with free shipping. Amazon loves putting Lego on like 20% sales every now and then.

Yes... I've discovered a few good deals (including that one), also the Battle of Helm's Deep is similarly priced/discounted, and not paying sales tax (yet) is not lost on me.

But like I said - the bottom line is look around. There's some browser plug-ins that can show you where items are cheaper sometimes, too.

I usually only buy from amazon, toysrus, and s@h. I follow toysnbricks regularly and look usually multiple times daily for deals. I also use camelcamelcamel for price tracking for sets I want, usually multiples of sets I have bought before like uruk hai army and buy them when they go on sale on amazon.

I find S@H very rarely discounts sets, but for the sets like exclusives such as the tower bridge, or the Sopwith camel that I hardly ever see discounted I buy those from s@h just for the VIP discount points. I usually do 2 or 3 big orders a year for those big sets so those VIP points really help me especially like I said on the big sets that you rarely see discounted.

Thanks for the information everybody, especially soccerkid6 :classic:

Of course you're right - you should always compare prices with other online shops. However, I intend to buy some exclusive sets which you don't usually find much cheaper anywhere else.

exclusives often are more expensive outside of Lego simply because they have to buy them at full price, then sell them again when they want to sell from other places. (usually)

Good to know there's going to be double VIP points this october, since I'm visiting U.S. around that date. :thumbup: Is this promotion only available at S@H?

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

If there is no free shipping, I may get my dad to buy the Haunted House (with my money of course) at the newly opened Sheffield store, as he is about to start a job there.

Bluebeard, out-