Hey Joe

Licensed Themes Kinda Bum Me Out

Ok, Superheroes I can see the value of licensing as it would be pretty hard (but not impossible) to come up with something similar in-house that would sell well and that people would connect with. Star Wars? Well, yeah I guess so. The models are pretty cool but I don't buy them myself as I'm on a budget. Lego has it's own Space-oriented themes that suit me.

My main gripe is with LotR and PotC. As a newcomer to this interesting pursuit I'd love to have a nice castle or pirate ship but I don't want to be reminded of a movie every time I look at it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the LotR movies but I just want a nice castle.

Also, many of these movies are WAY TOO VIOLENT for the children that the Lego models are aimed at. I watched 'Prince of Persia' for the first time last week thinking I might get a set or two for my young son. No way. Is this what passes for family entertainment these days from Disney?

Anyway, hope this doesn't come off as too much of a rant. I'll make do with MMV and Kingdoms Joust for awhile, hopefully we'll get some nice non-licensed stuff sooner than later.

Anyone else feel the same? Joe

I have to disagree. You may be reminded about the film, but using POTC as an example, we got 2 ships in a year. Helms Deep, a great castle.

And add in the fact we are getting new molds with can be used in every green themes.

Then remember, Lego are making money through these themes. $=New molds and sets.

I personally don't care for licensed themes either. I like the movies too a point, but am not a buff. As a city/train collector, I don't have the mind set for including superhero's, futuristic space, or even themes like Rock Raiders or Power Miners in my layout. That said, they do sell, quite well, and I do like to look at what they come up with. I love some of the parts only find in a licensed set (i.e. tools, weapons, etc) that wouldn't be out of place in the city. I even thought about ordering the QAR or Black Pearl to set in my harbor, as both are great looking ships. I did buy 10193 Medieval Market Village and 10210 Imperial Flagship for there own place in town as tourist attractions.

So, like TheWonderBoy said, if you are looking for a new castle or ship, get one. You can repurpose it, or use them as a parts pack for a MOC default_classic.gif

At the moment, I love the licensed themes! Seeing such iconic characters, vehicles, and locations made into LEGO is almost heart-warming. :sweet:

I think it's great that kids can build and play out scenes from their favourite book/movie/comic/show. And having characters they already recognize and love is a gateway into building their own creations.

In my personal opinion i think licensed themes are fantastic! Just think about the parts we wouldnt have without LOTR,POP and POTC.

the bottle ,dastan hair peice ,new mermaid tails ,sword holders ,hobbit hair, ghandalf beard ,the mini bucket and so many more.

Edited by The Joker1

See Im 50/50 with Licensed Themes

I love some of the sets but I hate the whole "dummying down" of LEGO with the overreliance on detailed instructions and themed (Licensed) sets which do little to inspire detailed and imaginative thought in the young children the sets are designed for.

I have a love-hate relationship with licensed themes. I find myself getting all excited over them and purchasing sets, but I always end up feeling somewhat restricted in regards to what I'm able to do with them. Maybe its my own stumbling block, but I find myself unable to break out of the canon mold established by the movie / property. With original LEGO themes, I feel much more free to do whatever I want. For example, I'm in the process of 're-designing' the Monster Fighters line to reflect my personal sensibilities and it's a blast! Maybe when I'm done I'll post some examples of my alternate sets.

I think I'll always be a bit more fond of original LEGO themes, perhaps in part due to nostalgia, though the licensed themes will continue to get my heart racing with the excitement of re-enacting my favorite movie/TV/book properties.

Definitely a tough topic. :sceptic:

I don't have a problem with TLG offering licensed themes; it helps pay for the development of new molds and introduces new parts that can be repurposed for MOCs, they even serve as a sort of "gateway drug" to get people interested in LEGO kits who normally can't see past their Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or whatever fixation. So on one hand I think it grows the community and gives us all more to play work with.

I do have a problem with TLG only offering licensed themes, whether out contractual obligations or fear of cannibalizing their own lines. I don't like that PotC has supplanted the tradition Pirates theme of that LotR has, presumably for the duration of its run, taken over Castle. Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of LEGO Star Wars, but I miss Blacktron.

As a collector, I can cite dozens of reasons why licensed themes are a good thing, but as an AFOL, an engineer and a former teacher I worry that we spend too much time handing kids a story to act out rather than encouraging them to come up with their own narrative. A castle, space or pirate set from 30 years ago might look pretty simplistic compared to today's LotR, SW, or PotC offerings, but I think they did a lot more to nurture a rich imagination than the licensed kits.

I share an opinion on licensed themes with many. As for the main thing, I don't like the fleshies (and the price).

I don't like two things about Licensed themes- The price and the flesh coloured minifigs.

On the other hand, this subject is not so black&white. What I do like is a new theme being introduced, bringing along new bricks/molds/pieces. What I don't like is the licensed figures, as they are a specific someone, but not a 'standard John/Jane Doe' as in other sets. Star Wars are unknown to me, but seeing some HP, LOTR or POTC, I can relay to those sets, but until LOTR I never had a wish for actually buying them. As for LOTR, I got two sets, and offered the fleshies on BL.

In the words of Natalie Imbruglia, I'm torn. I like the idea of Licensed themes and what they can bring to the table. I don't love the price associated with them, but if you find them on a good sale, then that is a wash. I don't mind the skin-tone, but I would prefer if everything meshed better. But in all seriousness, I have seen the early Harry Potter/Star Wars yellow tone and I was not a fan, but when I look at the new tone figures, they look so much better. So I'm OK with the Licensed skin tone to an extent, but I would never want to give up yellow tone either. It is neat seeing a Licensed character in minifigure form though, even with the limitations on who that person is.

As far as the sets go, yes it isn't the child's imagination creating that from the box, but neither is any LEGO set for that matter, if you think about it. Unless it is a giant box of bricks that allows the builder to build whatever they want, every set could have "limitations." With Evergreen or Licensed themes, the builder can modify it as needed to work in their environment, so they don't really have any limitations at all.

I do love the new molds that become available. That really helps with MOCers/collectors. But if you think about it, there are a lot of new molds created for Evergreen themes too, so that isn't really an argument.

I will continue to welcome new Licensed and Evergreen themes and will buy whatever will work at that given time.

Why is it that every year when the rumors of new themes start flying, someone feels the need to make this same thread? This has been discussed to death. I don't have time to search for last years thread, but you guys can do a search for it if you really want to moan and complain about the way the world works.